Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSystem of The Down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: System of The Down
    Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:33

Hello, people.....Proglover here, your resident trouble maker on the site.....Now, I know I "got my way" with the whole Queen thing....and just on a side note, I'd like to thank the creators for making the RIGHT decision. ............However in any event....I'd like to put forth another band if I may.....Now before I continue, I want it to be understood that I am in NO WAY advocating for the inclusion of the band that I am about to mention (although I feel that their inclusion would be appropriate), BUT....I think it's worth while mentioning any way.

Well, I figure you can guess by the title of this thread what band I'm thinking of. As of late, I have been extremely impressed by System of The Down....I think they are perhaps the best thing that popular music today has going for it...even more, I would say than Coldplay. I am RARELY impressed with today's music, even though I am 23 years of age.....and I rarely rave and rant about anyone popular today..HOWEVER, this System of The Down is a phenomenal BAND!!!!!!!.....

I was reading Rolling Stone magazine....now I would like to state that for the record...I HATE Rolling Stone Magazine, but I just so happened to be glancing through it, and there was an article on System of The Down.....and Rolling Stone called them Prog-metal.....which shocked me, because I never viewed them as such although I could definitely tell that this band was something different.....TRULY DIFFERENT!!.....

Once again, I am not screaming or advocating their inclusion as I did with Queen.....hahaha, I learned my lesson so to speak....HOWEVER I'm writing this post cause I think this band is truly worth while, and certainly worth keeping an eye on.....and after all....any band influenced by Frank Zappa, is a friend of mine......(let me know what you guys think)

Oh also, as another sidenote.....is anyone familiar with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones??????........If not, PLEASE GET TO KNOW THEM......wow, talk about an amazing band!!!!!!!.......Now I do realize that the Flecktones are MORE Jazz than anything else, but I figure since we have Weather Report on the site (I love weather report by the way)......the flecktones might not be that much of a stretch.

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:46
Well, I do view SoaD as prog metal...
robertplantowns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:48
bela fleck and the flecktones are bluegrass, funk, jazz instrumental and have nothing to do with prog rock whatsoever even though victor wooten is a progressive bassist and fleck a progressive banjo player.  they could be considered progressive bluegrass but not progressive rock.

I don't think System of a Down are very prog although they're a decent band.  I think when looking at the popular music being produced now it's easy to label a creative or different band as prog, but remember what it's being contrasted against, utter crap.  They're progressive compared to mainstream rock nowadays but that doesn't qualify them as being true progressive rock .

Edited by robertplantowns
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:50
I assume you mean System Of A Down. I'm not that familiar with their work so I'll leave it to others to decide.
Gloryscene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 12:09

SOAD

"The Beautiful Ally Of Your Own Gravediggers"

www.gloryscene.co.uk
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 12:18

Mezmerize is progressive metal for sure.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 12:26
I haven't heard Mesmerize yet ... but their previous albums aren't prog. They're innovative, and I like them very much, but I think that they lack the ambition as musicians to create outstanding music. They're more interested in getting their message across and having fun on stage than in the music as a work of art. At least that's the consensus of several interviews that I read recently.
Sigurd455 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 12:37

Mesmerize is not long i dont like this album the music are poor this is not a good group of prog metal 2/5 this is my note for this album

el_Sethro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 12:41
1. it's system of A down; stop saying "the down"
2. I think this is in the wrong forum; isn't there a forum (or maybe just thread) specifically for requesting a band to be added to the site?
3. I definately do not think they're prog
4. ...and neither are Béla Fleck and the Flecktones (although they are extremely amazing)
Who you gonna call?
IDDQD View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 12:45
SOAD aren't Metal, actually. They're some form of zanny hard rock. I don't hear much Black Sabbath, or any of Metal's roots in SOAD.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 12:48

SOAD aren't really Metal - They're a Crossover band which intelligently combines Rock and Metal (and various other styles), but their songwriting is not very Metal.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 13:06
They aren't prog.They are a decent hard rock/metal band.I am seeing them live Aug 22 with The Mars Volta opening for them

Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 13:09
I say it's Hair Metal...
And above all, is punk
The Minstrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 13:15
I like System of a Down alot. They remind me of Zappa and Mr.Bungle although the quality of their musicians is alot lower. They are definetly the best thing going for popular music right now.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 13:15
They are a fabulous band, but probably not prog rock.  They are progressive when compared to most of the mainstream, but even I wouldn't say they belong here for sure.  What makes them different is their zany, constantly changing music, which kind of reminds me of a bunch of (musically talented) 10 year olds with ADD who were fed some sugar and set about making music.  I mean that in a good way of course.  Their songs are short, and they lack much of the spirit of most prog bands, so I would say that they don't belong here.

They are, however, awesome, and Mesmerize is one of the best albums so far this year.  Cant wait for Hypnotize to come out....
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
lp013 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 13:20
Originally posted by Gloryscene Gloryscene wrote:

SOAD

SOAD
Violenza View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 13:28
Compared to every other mainstream band, they're not too bad. I like the Mr. Bungle influence too, although they don't quite reach that level. However, I'm not in a hurry to buy any of their albums.
penguindf12 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 13:31

I've listened to "Mesmerize" a lot, and it's very close to prog metal. Constant stops and starts, random changes of time signature, and "Question" is in 5/4 time. But then again, the Gorillaz also had a song in 5/4...I'm hoping that Soad will decide on metal or prog metal on their next album...but as of yet, we just need to wait and see...

Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 13:43
Originally posted by penguindf12 penguindf12 wrote:

I've listened to "Mesmerize" a lot, and it's very close to prog metal. Constant stops and starts, random changes of time signature, and "Question" is in 5/4 time. But then again, the Gorillaz also had a song in 5/4...I'm hoping that Soad will decide on metal or prog metal on their next album...but as of yet, we just need to wait and see...

Not a long wait. Their next album will be released in a few months.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 13:55

for one reason or another, they do not strike me as any kind of prog band. and i do agree, Mike: they're not really metal.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>