Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog & others

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 14:29
Well, frankly I'm not sure why there is so much animosity to Prog Rock mag.....I recently picked up the May issue with Genesis and Gabriel's split and generally found the article and the issue  interesting.
Sure they need better coverage of more obscure groups but they do cover a lot of ground and they also review a lot of unknown or lesser known bands.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 14:33
^I'm with you Doc. I don't think this mag is the train wreck that people make it out to be. A bit expensive perhaps, but it is a way to keep in touch with bands that I never would have heard of without it.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 14:39
I only read the website.

Sadly its too expensive for me :/

But I do like the little bits that I manage to read.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 15:22
I buy about 1 in 6 when there's something that interests me
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 21:04
Originally posted by yaksongs yaksongs wrote:

Hi Kati et al - just saw this thread - Interestingly my band YAK was featured in about issue 6 of the CRPP mag and we had a track on the CD that came with it - I followed this up by advertising with them for a few issues - However in June this year I let them know about our new release "Quest for the Stones" which has had some great reviews so far - but despite several e mails - not a dicky bird in responce - I sent them a nice messsage on facebook too, but even this was ignored - totally agree with much of what I am seeing on this thread in respect of the mag - such a shame that they have this attitude to "non famous" bands - it is a struggle to get the word out - on a professional level as a "Client" to not even to get a reply from them I find completely unnaceptable ..& frankly offensive - my 2p :)
Thats really shame that they ignored your mails.
There couldnt be any excuse for something like that.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 10:58
Regarding the Yak snafu....that is indeed unfortunate. But it might be a problem with communication at the magazine or whoever is in charge of that dept and not a reflection on the whole staff.
I have that issue and the cd with the Yak song on it.
Haquin
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 11:04
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Regarding the Yak snafu....that is indeed unfortunate. But it might be a problem with communication at the magazine or whoever is in charge of that dept and not a reflection on the whole staff.
I have that issue and the cd with the Yak song on it.
That issue was paid for dr_wu23, a big hug to you Hug For bands to a their song to appear on that cd with various other artists they have to pay for that, thus benefit from the mag distribution.

Edited by Kati - August 09 2015 at 11:05
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 11:17

Well, frankly I'm not sure why there is so much animosity to Prog Rock mag.....I recently picked up the May issue with Genesis and Gabriel's split and generally found the article and the issue  interesting.
Sure they need better coverage of more obscure groups but they do cover a lot of ground and they also review a lot of unknown or lesser known bands.

I have no animosity parse, I am just stating the facts, they are a company to make profit thus let us not fool ourselves that the classic rock mag with branch classic rock presents prog (recently with a new name) is there for the sake of music or prog artists. My experience says they are biased due to commercial purposes.
I will express my opinion and discuss my experience, you too of course may voice your own opinion Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 11:27
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I have no animosity parse, I am just stating the facts, they are a company to make profit thus let us not fool ourselves that the classic rock mag with branch classic rock presents prog (recently with a new name) is there for the sake of music or prog artists. My experience says they are biased due to commercial purposes.
I will express my opinion and discuss my experience, you too of course may voice your own opinion Smile

Well...everyone involved with music , the artists, the mags, the record companies....are all looking to make some profit so I really don't see the problem, there.
 Should the magazine be non profit iyo so they can cover more obscure bands?
Confused
Haquin
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 11:30

Say what you will and believe, so will I SmileWink
The bottom line for me is that if they request a band to post them cd's (two cd's even to different people), months before year end, thereafter being notified by their marketing department saying it's past the year end release (months later) but should the band be interested in paying for publicity they will be featured on their next issue? This to me seems so wrong, it is not nice nor a good business practice.   Unhappy bah!

P.S. Famous bands on the cover of the mag makes perfect sense, I am not contesting this at all.  

Again, I must quote what I said above. Umphft! Confused
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 11:41

Well...everyone involved with music , the artists, the mags, the record companies....are all looking to make some profit so I really don't see the problem, there.
Confused
No of course not you silly Billy Confused but the mag could maybe have two or three pages reserved for new and upcoming bands, indie prog bands (afterall this would ensure the continuation of their mag in the future too by adding new bands and new audience/viewers/buyers). Otherwise I don't see why they need an additional prog mag if they mostly only cover famous prog rock bands (90% of them from the 70's which were not classified as prog at the time) in that case just classic rock mag would be sufficient.
Anyway it's their prerogative to publish what they want and I too should be allowed to voice my own opinion and discuss the negatives I find about them.  
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 12:33
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Originally posted by yaksongs yaksongs wrote:

Hi Kati et al - just saw this thread - Interestingly my band YAK was featured in about issue 6 of the CRPP mag and we had a track on the CD that came with it - I followed this up by advertising with them for a few issues - However in June this year I let them know about our new release "Quest for the Stones" which has had some great reviews so far - but despite several e mails - not a dicky bird in responce - I sent them a nice messsage on facebook too, but even this was ignored - totally agree with much of what I am seeing on this thread in respect of the mag - such a shame that they have this attitude to "non famous" bands - it is a struggle to get the word out - on a professional level as a "Client" to not even to get a reply from them I find completely unnaceptable ..& frankly offensive - my 2p :)
Thats really shame that they ignored your mails.
There couldnt be any excuse for something like that.

I suspect that these folks gets rather a lot of email. By the 2000 or so bands that release new music each year, by the 2000 or so bands that released stuff the year before and the 2000 or so that are going to release new music soon, by many of the 20.000 or so people who read the magazine, by venues and clubs that host live shows, by everyone with a prog or proggy radio show that wants to have a word or to say a word in their pages, by all kinds of promotors and marketing people. And this, presumably, is just scratching at the iceberg.

The question is how well they are staffed I guess. It's not an organization with a hell of a lot of revenue, so if they have more than a skeleton crew to handle requests I'd be rather surprised. So yeah, I can easily see multiple reasons for why emails are left unanswered, the key of them being that they have to make priorities.

As the magazine is under an umbrella (Team Rock) I'd suspect that they share personell with other magazines, including the people who make a call for what emails to distribute to what staff. The bottleneck would presumably be there, someone basically being a digital receptionist for multiple magazines. As this is an assumption and not knowledge, it would be interesting if someone knew if that was the case or not of course.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 13:55

Confused
No of course not you silly Billy Confused but the mag could maybe have two or three pages reserved for new and upcoming bands, indie prog bands (afterall this would ensure the continuation of their mag in the future too by adding new bands and new audience/viewers/buyers). Otherwise I don't see why they need an additional prog mag if they mostly only cover famous prog rock bands (90% of them from the 70's which were not classified as prog at the time) in that case just classic rock mag would be sufficient.
Anyway it's their prerogative to publish what they want and I too should be allowed to voice my own opinion and discuss the negatives I find about them.  
Uh.....They do cover new and indie prog bands.....when did you last pick up an issue? They had pieces/articles on 3 or 4  bands I never heard of before and many reviews of albums by new bands.

Silly Billy..? Seriously..?
LOL

Haquin
symphonicman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 06:48
The prog magazine is pretty alright. It just needs to get better at giving attention to the music outside of United Kingdom.
Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789