FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2015 NFL Season Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 13:07
I get the feeling that deep in the playoffs Peyton is going to let down his stellar D with one of those interception riddled games
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 14:50
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Pats look very good, but I'm not convinced that the Broncos/Bengals aren't better. Broncos Def is the best unit in the NFL, you just need Peyton to be an above average qb for them to do real damage in the playoffs.

Bengals will fold like a cheap suit come primetime.  Broncos are a legit threat though.

I mean yeah don't bet on Andy Dalton I get that, but they're the most talented team in football IMO with their only weakness really being at the most important spot in the sport unfortunately. However, I wouldn't count them out at this juncture.

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I get the feeling that deep in the playoffs Peyton is going to let down his stellar D with one of those interception riddled games

I find it highly unlikely that Peyton regressed quickly enough for the first few games of this season to be indicative of his current true talent level.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 15:15
His play-off record is what? 11-13? I stick with my prediction.
Ian

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 16:31
Oh detriot...you are fun, really:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000573477/article/lions-fire-gm-martin-mayhew-president-tom-lewand 

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 17:44
Looks like the start of a complete reboot after this season.  And Stafford might be on his way out, as well.  It would be stupid, IMO because there's not a whole lot out there that's better AND available and no matter who you plug under center, they'll constantly be hounded with a lack of protection and run game.  I doubt Martha Ford and whoever is left makes the right decisions, though.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 17:51
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Looks like the start of a complete reboot after this season.  And Stafford might be on his way out, as well.  It would be stupid, IMO because there's not a whole lot out there that's better AND available and no matter who you plug under center, they'll constantly be hounded with a lack of protection and run game.  I doubt Martha Ford and whoever is left makes the right decisions, though.

Martha has already broke the William Clay "I-am-loyal-therefore-I-accept-mediocrity-and-allow-bums-to-stay-on-payroll-for-decades" mentality. She's been boss for what, a year and a half? She broomed out the old guard already. That lifeless mannequin on the sidelines Caldwell is next after the season ends.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 22:22
I just worry that they won't hire the right people and we'll be constantly starting over.  Who knows, we'll see what happens after this season.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 00:34
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

I just worry that they won't hire the right people and we'll be constantly starting over.  Who knows, we'll see what happens after this season.

That doesn't sound like the lions.

Oh wait.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 20:12
I said I wanted a close, good game against the Pats...because I never actually expected thatLOL
Now that it happened, it just hurts. So damn close. Hold on one second longer and ODB has that TD, or Collins holds on to that almost interception, either and game over. 

So many missed opportunities.

Well, least our garbage defense managed to force 2 Brady fumbles, pick him, and manage to get pressure on him (which has been our weakest aspect by far) I do think he was a bit rattled, made some questionable/off passes and seemed a wee bit jittery. 
Gotta applaud the effort, and offense looked great. Was very glad to see them take so many risks. Lots of deep shots, passes on expected run plays, going for TDs instead of yards, offense really played well and the only way they ever got stopped were by sacks, or dropped passes. NE really seemed to struggle especially with ODB who drew quite a few penalties against him. 

Well, 5-5 still lead the division, Philly and Dallas both lose. May be no such thing as a moral victory but IDK, have to go into the bye thinking if you can do that against NE, you should absolutely wreck Washington, the Jets, Miami even Carolina and Minnesota, whats to fear? 

Speaking of tough fights, NE is probably going 16-0. I say this because 1: I said they would pull a 2007 again and use their "being wronged" as motivation to burn the world down, but 2 the only other legit threat is Denver and while their defense is great, seems Peyton is officially done. I didn't wanna believe, but can't really be denied he just doesn't have an arm anymore. 
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 20:36
For all your what if's, if Brady hits LeFell for a TD rsther than an INT then the game is over.
Ian

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 21:03
Well, that was also a good defensive play, but I'm not excuse making or anything. Quite the opposite, and there were still some glaringly huge holes like our safety that not only missed a tackle on Gronk, but in the process wiped out another Giant eliminating any hope of a tackle being madeLOL and yet again a heinous penalty that killed us, and a general failure to capitalize when it was there. The huge return (that wasnt a TD only because a Pat took accidentally took out his own returner) killed any momentum and emotion, and cushion. Very frustrating game. 

Arizona is the real deal. Seattle is on a bit of a decline, but beyond that..Palmer is on fire, defense damn good. Really liking them
EDIT: By the way...what the hell happened with Detroit/Green Bay??

Edited by JJLehto - November 15 2015 at 21:23
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 21:44
I've come to the conclusion that my Seahawks aren't that good this year & unsurprisingly we paid Wilson too much but didn't have an option. Repeatable excellence is elusive and only the Pats seem to have the formula.
Ian

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 06:10
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Well, that was also a good defensive play, but I'm not excuse making or anything. Quite the opposite, and there were still some glaringly huge holes like our safety that not only missed a tackle on Gronk, but in the process wiped out another Giant eliminating any hope of a tackle being madeLOL and yet again a heinous penalty that killed us, and a general failure to capitalize when it was there. The huge return (that wasnt a TD only because a Pat took accidentally took out his own returner) killed any momentum and emotion, and cushion. Very frustrating game. 

Arizona is the real deal. Seattle is on a bit of a decline, but beyond that..Palmer is on fire, defense damn good. Really liking them
EDIT: By the way...what the hell happened with Detroit/Green Bay??

Detroit tried everything they could to be the same ol' Lions and grab defeat from the jaws of victory but the Packers decided not to finish the job.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 09:32
I'm too depressed to talk about the Eagles, but I want to complain about a semi-political thing.

It was great that the NFL did a moment of silence for the victims of the Paris attacks. But several of these moments of silence were done with gigantic American flags occupying the entirety of the field. Can we at least tone down the rampant USA worship of the NFL when we're paying respect to those from another country? Seems like a time where we shouldn't be drawing nation boundaries.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 11:07

I said I wanted a close, good game against the Pats...because I never actually expected thatLOL
Now that it happened, it just hurts. So damn close. Hold on one second longer and ODB has that TD, or Collins holds on to that almost interception, either and game over. 

So many missed opportunities.

Now imagine this was the Super Bowl and you know how I feel.  LOL
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 12:04
Well I know Lions fans are forbidden by law to express anything other than misery and depressionLOL but what actually happened Scott? I'm guessing from PFF (I can only get the very brief "highlights" analysis for free) that the Lions secondary really shutdown the Packers. Which is quite an unexpected performance. 

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I'm too depressed to talk about the Eagles, but I want to complain about a semi-political thing.

It was great that the NFL did a moment of silence for the victims of the Paris attacks. But several of these moments of silence were done with gigantic American flags occupying the entirety of the field. Can we at least tone down the rampant USA worship of the NFL when we're paying respect to those from another country? Seems like a time where we shouldn't be drawing nation boundaries.

Being one of the extremely few threads untainted with politics, I wont go tooooo into but I will say I had a similar feeling. Being at the game I was a little...uncomfortable with it. 
On a semi related note, at the Giants game someone yelled "ISIS SUCKS" during the moment of silence, which not only defeats the intent of a moment of silence...couldn't help but feel it was a bit of a cliche American response, in the bad way. 

Yeah yeah I know Snow PatLOL 
Just ugh...it was, more or less, our Super Bowl, (even beating Dallas which was great wouldn't have had the same feel especially with them being so inept without Romo) so it almost felt like a SB loss, but oh well. I just hope they actually use this to their advantage, easy schedule remaining overall, making the playoffs would be a huge boost. 
Oh, JPP had some good pressure and a sack that was negated by a roughing the passer call, hate to be this guy but I didn't see how (the Pats fan behind me even said "We all know you're not allowed to sack Brady!" which got him largely fingered ha that's just too far a line to joke about) but still a good sign, and there was more pressure that game than I've seen all year. With an opportunistic defense, praying maybe they can turn the ship around a bit. 

Well, I don't think it's paying Wilson too much per se (though I do think the $ concentration on QBs while understandable does hurt many teams) but it seems the legion of boom was greater than the sum of its parts, just a special unit that was built and with some of them moved on, seems Sherman and co weren't quite the elite level we thought. 

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 12:25

Well I know Lions fans are forbidden by law to express anything other than misery and depressionLOL but what actually happened Scott? I'm guessing from PFF (I can only get the very brief "highlights" analysis for free) that the Lions secondary really shutdown the Packers. Which is quite an unexpected performance. 

Apparently, the Lions got away with a number of pass interference calls.  I happened to turn it on with about 5 minutes left and the Lions leading 12 to 3.  From that point out it was just the same ol' Lions.  Packers marched down the field to make it 12 to 10.  The Lions surprisingly marched down the field and scored to make it 18 to 10.  The extra point would have clinched it, but instead Prater missed his 2nd extra point of the game.  Packers marched down field and scored a touchdown to make it 18 to 16.  On the two point conversion, Rodgers hit his receiver with the pass and the Lions' defensive back, who had just been signed to the roster on Friday and apparently didn't understand that he was supposed to let the Packer catch the ball, knocked the ball out of his hands.  32 seconds left game over.  Right?  Wrong!  Onside kick bounces to all people, Calvin Johnson, who proceeds to toss it over his shoulder and on to the ground.  Packers ball at midfield with 1/2 minute to play.  Leads to a 52-yard field goal attempt for the win.  Lo and behold, the kicker went off script, and mis-kicked the ball and it only went about 40 yards. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 14:05
Lot of crazy games yesterday, Packers and Lions.  That field goal looked like a knuckle ball, strange.  Pats and Giants was another, the Giants do seem to know how to play them well and Eli was on fire for most of it and then they shoot themselves in the foot.  Never understood their clock management (or lack of) at the end.  Dallas blows another one, the Ravens give one away too.

Steelers are hanging on and appear to be in somewhat descent shape.  Ben comes off the bench to get a win as our 2nd backup got hurt and Vick is still out it seems.  Good time for the bye week up next.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 14:12
Kinda shocking to me how well the Steelers defense has been, the run D in particular. I fully expected them to be and hoped they would be a dumpster fire.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 22:50
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Apparently, the Lions got away with a number of pass interference calls.  I happened to turn it on with about 5 minutes left and the Lions leading 12 to 3.  From that point out it was just the same ol' Lions.  Packers marched down the field to make it 12 to 10.  The Lions surprisingly marched down the field and scored to make it 18 to 10.  The extra point would have clinched it, but instead Prater missed his 2nd extra point of the game.  Packers marched down field and scored a touchdown to make it 18 to 16.  On the two point conversion, Rodgers hit his receiver with the pass and the Lions' defensive back, who had just been signed to the roster on Friday and apparently didn't understand that he was supposed to let the Packer catch the ball, knocked the ball out of his hands.  32 seconds left game over.  Right?  Wrong!  Onside kick bounces to all people, Calvin Johnson, who proceeds to toss it over his shoulder and on to the ground.  Packers ball at midfield with 1/2 minute to play.  Leads to a 52-yard field goal attempt for the win.  Lo and behold, the kicker went off script, and mis-kicked the ball and it only went about 40 yards. 

I had to listen to the last two minutes of the game on the radio as I drove to work, and it was the most stressful thing I've had to listen to.  My range of emotions went from pure joy and excitement to feeling completely drained and depressed right before the botched Crosby field goal, back to joy and excitement once they yelled that he missed it and that no flags were thrown. It was great in the end, but it sucked to have to go through that to be able to cheer something that hasn't happened since 1991. 

And the other thing, I love how everyone is talking more about how bad the Packers are playing as opposed to how well the Lions actually played overall, barring the last two minutes.  Give them credit!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>