Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedS. Wilson not progressive rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 03:30
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

There's a Nick Beggs interview where he says Wilson calls his music 'Post-Modern Industrial Jazz' (or words to that effect).

'Post-Modern Industrial Jazz' ? especially the word industrial sounds odd, weird even and very presumptuous while not making much sense really. Confused
Smile big hug to you, Tom Hug
Hey you    !!
I can't find that interview, but maybe he said 'experimental' - not 'industrial'.......that would make more sense
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 03:40
Jazz? Surely he meant it as a joke? 
Maybe he has an aversion towards  his music being tagged.
Feels that any tag is limiting his music, and is turning away audience that might not like prog in the classic sense of the word, but might like his music.
To me his "post-modern experimental jazz" description sounds just like a non-tag, saying: don't push me and my music in a little box.

Edited by Moogtron III - June 29 2015 at 03:44
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 05:09
^ I'd say that's what he's getting at
ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 10:11
Steven Wilson can say he isn't a Prog musician, this and that, and it doesn't matter to me, for he is in the thick of it. Fighting tags or being labelled? Lots of musicians voice the same opinion depending upon what they play. 

It amuses me, that despite the overtly critical bashing he receives by some that can't even put a song together (I wish I could do a quarter what he has done--I would be so content), none of it has swayed my high opinion of the guy. I have seen quite a few interviews he has given through different stages of his career, and it doesn't matter whether he shifted opinions here and there...makes me wonder what kind of stupid things I might utter should I have been lucky enough to live the lifestyle I wish I could have (and damn, if I didn't try--like a few of us, perhaps).  

Rips off older music (that has been going on forever, though I prefer "variations on former themes")? Mediocre musician (he is selling, and money in the bank is what determines a continued career, and I wouldn't even think of giving a thought that he is mediocre)? Albums ranked too high (maybe it isn't the stuff you prefer. I don't think Rush is the greatest thing in the world, but I listen to them)? If you don't like the guy because he comes off as a tosspot to you, well... then you can have that opinion. 

I wish I had found this site years ago. I check it a few times per day because Prog has been my favorite music since I was a mid-teenager in the seventies, and I keep finding great stuff to purchase that I never knew existed.  I have tried introducing this site to several friends, but the big battle is my disdain for cookie-cutter pop music, and that is where I lose most of them, but I will continue to promote.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 11:26
My own pet peeve with Wilson's solo output is his never ending borrowing of prog motifs from his myriad of past prog heroes. And perhaps this has finally caught up with his desire to be truly innovative, and hence, his current stance on progressive rock.
If so, I know a sure fire cure. Get back together with the last incarnation of PT and let your imagines run wild, Mr. Wilson. 

These are the people that can truly inspire you, and forget about labels. 

Edited by SteveG - June 29 2015 at 11:30
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 13:04
The fact: Mr. Wilson knows his music is pretty simple, and respect the oldschool prog. But to promote his easy music, he just throw up this "nothing innovative today" concept, as his works are just what we need for now. I think he should try something underground or avant-garde instead of prog influenced crossover pop like himself.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 13:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

My own pet peeve with Wilson's solo output is his never ending borrowing of prog motifs from his myriad of past prog heroes. And perhaps this has finally caught up with his desire to be truly innovative, and hence, his current stance on progressive rock.
If so, I know a sure fire cure. Get back together with the last incarnation of PT and let your imagines run wild, Mr. Wilson. 

These are the people that can truly inspire you, and forget about labels. 

On past interviews, Wilson has said that his main project right now is his solo career and that he would probably write something again with PT, but don't think he can let his imagination go wild with the band, because there is one guy in the band that hate jazz music and Mr.Wilson would like to introduce jazz in PT.

Edited by rdtprog - June 29 2015 at 13:53
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 14:08
^I'm not a particular fan of Wilson but I'm trying to be constructive. I have enormous respect for his technical ability and I believe that his love of prog is as sincere as any member of PA.

Unfortunately, prog music, like anything else, is reduced to categories and some feel that the round peg must fit the round hole, and it seems that Wilson himself has got caught up up in this madness.

If you enjoy his present output, take heart and give Mr. Wilson a chance with his "experimental jazz" venture, assuming it's true, as you might just like it.

Different artists approach different genres differently and something new from Wilson might actually blow your mind.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 14:25
I think it's more important to be original than "innovative". If i want to listen to innovative music i will listen to other genres then Progressive Rock. That's why i understand what Wilson says when he think that many bands today are taking influences from past music, and it's not a bad thing, but it's what you can make with those influences that could be interesting. Wilson talk about personality, statement that could sound a bit pretentious when it's your solo career, but at least he has the intelligence to brings some great musicians with him to help him realize his ideas.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:04
A lot of good comments. Having come through prog's 'wilderness years, where we, the fans, and many heroic bands and artists, kept the flame flickering without any airplay or magazines to cover it....I remember when artists definitely distanced themselves from the 'prog' label for commercial reasons, even if we knew they definitely were (not least because the prog rock church has always been wide enough to accommodate those on the edge).
I remember reading an interview in 'Classic Rock' magazine when Steven Wilson distanced himself from the prog label (around the 'Stupid Dream' period at the end of the 90s, I think?) Steve Hogarth did the same thing in another issue - quite stridently as I remember (although all those requests for 'Grendel' at shows rather than his own compositions could turn anyone bitter, I suppose). Thankfully it never stopped me following them and judging their output as prog by my definition - and damn fine stuff too.
I was pleasantly amused as both lightened up in recent years and gave their blessing to the prog revival and their willingness to accept the awards and exposure in the likes of 'Prog' magazine etc. Steven's an artist who rightly would love his music to be listened to by a wider audience - and the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury even. You can't blame him for trying to get the 'alt' BBC Radio 1/6 audience. If he keeps making music, whatever he calls it, I'm happy. I'll forgive him any 'tortured artist' indulgences from time to time. Wink  

Edited by Squonk19 - June 29 2015 at 15:14
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Maybe in his mind there's nothing 'Progressive' in today's music. He may have a point, but his deft touch and gifted intelligence surely offers many current artists a crash-course in modern, innovative music. He certainly knows how to assemble a band of virtuosic musicians that understand what he's getting at.......

ClapClap

Simply put this is Steven Wilson for me.

What he believes is his own business, it's his music he can call it what he likes, certainly many of us call it what we like. Maybe "we" want it to be progressive rock, because there is no progressive substance in today's prog rock, again at least many on this site feel this way. We are looking for that artist to bring back the 70's......

Steven Wilson stated The Raven was that album that he wanted to sound like 70's prog. GFD also had that psychedelic prog feel, whereas HCE is more accessible and some songs have a pop/rock feel to them.

Seeing him live 2 weeks ago was a magnificent experience, he is very articulate, he introduced and gave background on almost each song. When he spoke of Lazarus and how when it first came out it was labeled a sell-out song because people said it sounded like Coldplay...some in the crowd booed and he said "what you don't like Coldplay? I think they are ok..." But everyone in the crowd went nuts when they played the song, it has held up amazingly within the prog rock community which Steven said he is very proud of that song.

All prog websites will label him progressive rock, we as prog music lovers will label him as a progressive rock artist.....Crossover seems to be the main emphasis of music today, at least in my mind, that's what it all sounds like to me.

On stage he called himself a "rock and roll band", anything beyond that is an opinion it seems. Regardless it's great music and he is pretty darn good at all he does.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:40
^ That's not fair, Jose. Lazarus is one of the most moving songs ever put out by any band of any genre.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 17:26
I dig his music and that's all I really care about. Genres are kinda silly.

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - June 29 2015 at 17:32

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 17:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ That's not fair, Jose. Lazarus is one of the most moving songs ever put out by any band of any genre.

Steve.....life is not fair my good friend, a sh*t sandwich and everyday is a bite!!
LOL
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 18:15
Love him or hate him, the one thing Steven Wilson has over all of us plebs here on this site is..
respect from his peers. 
The fact that so many prog giants from the golden era call on him to remix they're classic albums or guest on new albums guarantees  him a place in progressive rock history.
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 18:27
greatest remix engineer? whoot...  that will get him... forgotten in 10 years..

he is a prolific artist.. I grant you that.  Man..  I could make music 24/7 as well.. and genius? Come on man.. he is fricking muso. not a brain surgeon. I might only qualify his genius in selling mediocre music as ..progressive for one.. when there is far more adventurous quality music out there. His genius lays in selling all his output off to you all and having you all lap it up.

HAH!!!!!! LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 19:13
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

I dig his music and that's all I really care about. Genres are kinda silly.

Here, here Thumbs Up
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 19:14
Is it a skill, or a talent if you like, to create music that has a broad appeal? If not, why not make a hit single and get rich?
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 20:23
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

he is a prolific artist.. I grant you that.  Man..  I could make music 24/7 as well.. and genius? Come on man.. he is fricking muso. not a brain surgeon. I might only qualify his genius in selling mediocre music as ..progressive for one.. when there is far more adventurous quality music out there. His genius lays in selling all his output off to you all and having you all lap it up.

HAH!!!!!! LOL

I never said greatest/genius blah..blah..blah. Point is all the "greats" think he is relevant.
Yeh I think we get your hatred. 
I have visited this site for 10 years now after renewing my interest in  progressive rock music, all thanks to being handed a copy of Stupid Dream to have a listen to. We will see in 10 years time how "your" prophesy pans out assuming I am still alive..Wink
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 20:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

HAH!!!!!! LOL
Grind that ax

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>