Topic ClosedWhat upset you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 05:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Why don't we just include all rock bands in PA as prog related (progressive rock is related to rock, is it not?) and end these endless prog related/not prog related discussions. It's a damn silly genre anyway and I would love to know what the person was smoking when he/she thought it up. Confused Btw, that's what upset me today.
Well. My stock answer is: because we aren't RYM.LOL

Without changing the entry criteria (as listed on the PR category page) Prog Related has the potential of being the largest single category here and if we included all rock bands it would eclipse all the other categories added together, it would dominate the site and detract from the core activity of reviewing Prog albums by Prog bands.

A history...

Prog Related is a compromise. Between 2004 and 2006ish (before the genre teams were created and before the categories of Prog Related and Proto Prog existed) a band could be added into the archive by any Special Collaborator without discussion or evaluation. This resulted in a number of essentially non-Prog bands being added for a variety of perfectly valid reasons, such as non-Prog solo outings by members of established Prog bands, non-Prog Art Rock bands, and bands that were either influential on or influenced by Prog Rock or Prog bands in some way or other, or simply because the person adding them believed they were Prog at the time.

When it was deemed that a clean-up was necessary the Admins and Collabs had to decide what to do with these artists. Basically we had a whole bunch of artists that didn't fit in with what most people would regard as Prog Rock and in a perfect world we would have just deleted them. However, Max has a policy of not deleting bands once they have been added, so the ability to delete artists is unavailable to the Admin team, therefore the compromise solution was to create a couple of non-Prog categories for them. So in June of 2006 Brian (Garion86) wrote a brief description for a newly created Prog Related category:

Quote Prog Related definitionRock and Pop Bands and Artists after 1970 who were not truly “prog” (as that term is generally and broadly defined, even by the site), but who were clearly not “mainstream” or simply “rock” bands.
A wide subgenre that encompasses two kinds of bands/artist, that either consist of progressive artist that strayed away from their progressive roots into mainstream rock or were influenced by progressive rock.
Even though the music by these artists is sometimes unrelated it had things in common with prog music in that it was very structured and even adventurous, sometimes hard or heavy, sometimes mellow, strong melodies, good hooks are an integral part of most of the material. Sometimes these artists pioneered other rock genres. 
Though most of these artist can't really be considered progressive themselves, their relation to progressive music is not to be underestimated.

And the majority of artist that now reside in that category were moved over to it. Also at that time the subgenre of Art Rock was re-evaluated and, (rightly or wrongly), we ditched the term "Art Rock" completely which resulted in a few non-Prog Art Rock bands being moved into Prog Related. 

However, this appeared to give licence to continue adding those kinds of bands, so to limit the number of non-Prog suggestions (which detracts from our main task of evaluating and adding actual Prog bands) in 2007 Iván refined that definition:

Quote Prog Related definitionProgressive rock is not a separate universe in music, it’s a genre among many others, a voice in the chorus and as part of a biggest scenario has points of contact with other musical genres.
Prog Related is the category that groups bands and artists that:
- Without being 100% Prog, received clear MUSICAL influence of this genre, OR
- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, OR
- Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog.
We specify the word MUSICAL because simple performance of a determined instrument in a Prog or mainstream band is not justification enough to include an artist, no matter how virtuoso he/she may be, Prog Archives has to evaluate their compositional work because the music is what determines the characteristics of a band or an artist.
Prog Related bands are not considered part of the genre but they have contributed in some form in the development of Progressive Rock, the inclusion of a band is exceptional and only after verifying that it’s a contribution for the better understanding of Prog among the members and visitors instead of a source of confusion for the community.

But still we were inundated with suggestions for Prog Related because clearly Iván's revised definition didn't fit all the bands that we already had listed as Prog Related, so somewhen around 2010 John (easy money) refined that further into what we have today.

The number of artists that have been added into Prog Related since 2006 is surprisingly very small. In reality it is around one or two per year, (the last was I believe Buckethead back in April), and smaller number of those additions (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Hendrix) were highly controversial and strongly contested at the time. It is a silly category and it's one we are not keen to expand, so the entry criteria and the suggestion policy are strictly enforced by the Admin team.

Prog Related is like an appendix - no one really understands what it does and it has a tendency to get inflamed for no apparent reason.Wink

What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2015 at 02:43
My computer almost not just crashed but also got very close to physically disintegrating last night, so I can't put into words how relieved I am that right now it again functions without problems.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2015 at 08:53
It annoys me when a percentage of people have empathy for a serial killer that tortures their victims prior to killing them. The days of the electric chair are pretty much scarce and we don't execute out of vengence...so why worry about empathy. These serial killers do not deserve one beautiful moment by themselves in a cell. They took everything from someone else and damaged all the people left behind and someone wants to have empathy for them? Just get the job done...seriously. 

It annoys me when loads of people on Facebook post everything having to do with the life of an animal. A cat licking an ice cream cone or an animal being abused. From my observation, a number of these people actually value the life of an animal over human life. The abuse of animals is horrific and must be addressed, but not to the extreme of what's being revealed today. Some of these people who are animal lovers...work in the office, 9 to 5, and won't give a parent the permission to leave work when their child is in the hospital in critical condition. Figure that out? 

I can't relate to musicians who constantly take photographs of themselves and their current events on their Facebook timeline. They love to brag...."Oh, I've got 200 F.B. followers!" Just do your business and quit trying to be the 1967 David Cassidy you know? I've got news for you, if you are really talented, people really don't give a damn how you are dressed and they will come back by word of mouth...and not by the way you pose and make yourself look stupid on Facebook.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2015 at 11:13
Gotta part with you on the matter of animals.  Yes there are people who value the life of an animal over human life.  But can you blame them?  You've illustrated in your post why some might feel that way.  

Animals give people tremendous love and they reward the animal by abusing it.  Yes I will stand up for animals as often or more often than I do people.   If that makes me somehow backward or immoral, well then I'm happy to disappoint you.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2015 at 14:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Gotta part with you on the matter of animals.  Yes there are people who value the life of an animal over human life.  But can you blame them?  You've illustrated in your post why some might feel that way.  

Animals give people tremendous love and they reward the animal by abusing it.  Yes I will stand up for animals as often or more often than I do people.   If that makes me somehow backward or immoral, well then I'm happy to disappoint you.

Well said, DavidClap!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2015 at 14:45
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Well said, DavidClap!
+1.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 01:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

So then Kati/Sonia is upset today, as in the thread title,  because of the Iron Maiden thread...?

Wink

hahahaha!!! LOL dr wu23, you pest LOL I felt chopped off and ignored in regards to my question and forum topic was closed, made me feel like the topic was taboo and there was not to be discussed anymore, forced to be the end of it, topic closed. Wink
It was all of a sudden and had left me hanging there clueless without answers hehehehe.
It's all good now Big smile Approve
Alice Cooper belongs here in prog related tho',.... gnack, gnack, gnack, gnackkk.... Evil Smile
Big hug to you, Dr. Wu23 Hug
DanicaL View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 11:03
It drives me crazy when it snows over night and people completely forget how to drive! 
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 15:21
Got a speeding ticket today going 71 in a 65.....the prick hung out on the other side of a hill; I was being passed on all sides and the douche picks me.  Then, in a rush to chalk up another speeder, he bolted when he gave me the ticket but never gave my license back.....and he was going well over the limit weaving recklessly between cars just to catch up to another guy just keeping up with the flow. 

They make these machines capable of going well over 150, then they set the limits at 55-65?  Screw the police, man - no respect for that line of work. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 22:35
What didn't?

Edited by manofmystery - February 01 2016 at 22:35

Time always wins.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 09:27
Bernie Sanders didn't outright win the Iowa caucus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 17:05
^ He's too old, disheveled, and Eastcoast-accented to win the Presidency.   Maybe fifty years ago.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 19:46
Outside in my bare feet today and I paid for it with a big long thorn sunk a good half inch in my foot. It missed the bone, though, I think.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 17:11
CNN upset me today.... I saw a story about Cascadia.. man. I hope I am dead and buried before that one hits.

Granted I don't live there.. but my heart and soul still does.

Good article which I found referenced in the CNN article.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 17:49

^ He's too old, disheveled, and Eastcoast-accented to win the Presidency.   Maybe fifty years ago.

It'd be weird if Bernie and Trump won their respective nominations. I wonder if it'd just devolve into a very intense baseball game.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 17:51
^ Or two geriatric wizards shooting their magic at each other.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 11:26
I did a fart that lasted 20 seconds and there was no smell. Damn!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 18:16
I wish a thousand spilled beers upon whoever made the decision at Nvidia to not support legacy drivers on Windows 10.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 18:18
pfff on windows 10.... I finally shut off automatic updates because their constant reminds to upgrade were annoying the hell out of me.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 09:15
What upsets me on a daily basis is....living in Texas.  I lived abroad for 25 years after leaving NYC and am now living in south Texas for work.  It's either quit or start anew somewhere else.....the latter, despite the inevitable massive loss of income, is becoming more and more tenable.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>