Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlind Faith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blind Faith
    Posted: September 16 2015 at 17:58
A supergroup formed with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood. To me they seem pretty prog and Winwood brings out the eclectic from Traffic. Thought it would be a good addition. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 18:05
They've been suggested a couple of times (e.g. here) and some of Team members consider they cannot be fit for any prog subgenre.

Please ask to one of Special Collaborators if you suggest them as a Prog-Related one.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 18:11
What do you mean? Message one to ask for the addition?

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 01:40
What Keishiro is saying is that the only way into PA for Blind Faith is the Prog Related route. They've been suggested and rejected a couple of times before, but they have never been suggested for PR.
..........:aaaand the only ones who can suggest band for prog related are collaborators
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 01:44
In other words PM a SpecColl to propose the addition to Admin for PR consideration.  But they'd have to be an SC who believes the band should be Progrelated, which is another matter.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 14:37
What is the point of not being able to suggest an artist? It's not like I can force anyone to add it, it's literally just a suggestion. I don't think that such a thing should be restricted because everyone has suggestions even if they aren't a collaborator. PMing them is basically the same as posting it on the forum except on the post everyone can see the suggestion and add their two-sense. Just saying. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 14:53
Of course you can suggest an addition. I believe you misunderstood the responses you got from Keishiro and the others. You just need to ask a SC to formally take your suggestion before the Admin Team, whose members are the only ones that can decide on Proto-Prog or Prog-Related additions. It is no different than suggesting a band in this thread, as any new suggestion has to be taken up by a genre team to be evaluated.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 14:54
Ah, thank you for clarifying. That makes a heck of a lot more sense. I sent Scott a message. I don't know if he'll respond but he might.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 15:03
I will give the album a re-listen and see what I think.  Personally, I've always felt that Cream should be here in proto-prog.  Blind Faith may have a good case as well, but given they only had the one album, they may not be as influential to prog as the admins like. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 15:03
Yes, but the hassle usually comes with this scenario: I feel that Dire Straits should be included as prog related, but if they include Blind Faith than I and other Dire Straits fans (as an example) would be upset. So it takes a lot to get listed in this site as prog related or as prog anything.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 15:08
Hey man, I think Dire Straits is good enough as well. But I was thinking not only does Blind Faith have Eric Clapton but also Steve Winwood, leaning more towards a prog related addition than Dire Straits who would take more technicalities to be added. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 15:14
The current rule was enforced to avoid controversy - which is always rife when prog-related or proto-prog acts are added. I think you have seen a couple of threads around about Iron Maiden and Queen - almost a decade after they were added - and in the past the backlash was often anything but pretty. Moreover, people are always ready with the eternal question, "if X is here, why not Y?", and that also has the potential to turn ugly - as some people seem to think that "controversial" additions are as relevant in the grand scheme of things as war or famine.

On a personal level, though I like the Blind Faith album a whole lot, I am not sure it's truly prog-related, and then its addition would have people demanding for Cream to be added. So, you see, it's not an easy decision to make.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 15:21
Personally, I think that Cream had a bigger influence on prog...at least one particular band that I kind of like a bit.  Smile  I tend to be more inclusive than the general population, but I also see the point that you can make the case for many, many bands that existed in the 60's and 70's that they are at least prog-related and lines need to be drawn somewhere.  Elton John, Billy Joel, The Bee Gees, Abba, Dire Straits, etc... all flirted with prog here and there at times.  I still strongly believe that Judas Priest should be here, but the bosses overruled and c'est la vie.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 15:25
^To me, Disraeli Gears is as proto prog as Are You Experienced?, but as you said: That's life. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:04
Cream were proto-Protoprog.  In fact they were the proto-Protoprog band.  This goes to artists that are "related to Prog-related".   There has to be a cutoff point.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Cream were proto-Protoprog.  In fact they were the proto-Protoprog band.  This goes to artists that are "related to Prog-related".   There has to be a cutoff point.

I can see where you are coming from. This is the great difficulty in trying to classify acts,especially one as important as Cream.

They were a heady mix of blues, jazz, psychedelic, and sheer presence whose influence on all forms of rock which followed was immense.

Whether that makes them Proto prog, or Proto Proto prog, as you,put it, is a different matter altogether.

I would rather leave it as it is as far as PA is concerned, and that goes for Blind Faith as well.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

David, if Cream and the Hendrix Experienced were both formed in 1967 and released their first albums in 1967, then how can Cream be proto to the Hendrix Experience?

Are you thinking of the Yardbirds, possibly?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:45
Because I never said the JHE were proto either: indeed I opposed the addition of James Marshall Hendrix many moons ago on similar grounds--  not to mention the fact that Jimi died before he could become a "progressive rock artist", even if he had later taken that course (which there is some evidence to indicate he would have).  

The PA canon is not the final word, it is simply a best effort by a group of very experienced contributors to catalog a mercifully small genre as compared with, say, jazz.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:51
^In that case, I propose that HE is the Proto-Proto prog band! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:53
He wasn't a band, he was a force !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>