Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat are the benefits of living in the USA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 12:44
double cheese on everything
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 12:49
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Country Music

Country music was good up until some point in the 70s or 80s when the record companies changed which kind of music they would put out.  Classic country was unabashedly rural when rural America was still robust and sweet.  It wasn't purely wholesome, but the songs were well-crafted and had a sharpness to them that is entirely missing from the pandering Garth Brooks-ified country of today.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 12:54
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

double cheese on everything
Don't forget the bacon.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 13:38
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

- no smoking in restaurants, elevators, hotels, busses, cabs, subways, pretty much anyplace other human beings might be inclined to breathe.  Most European countries I've been to seem more like the U.S. thirty years ago as far as maturity of public health policies, especially as regards smoking. The UK has this pretty much everywhere.

- elbow room.  Maybe not in NYC or LA, but pretty much everywhere else. - UK more 'cozy'

- roads and garages big enough for the cars that use them. - UK, gas prices so high big ass cars deemed impractical (don't think I've ever seen a Hummer (8 mpg))

- being able to drive just about anywhere I want without paying a toll (granted, this is less viable in the Northeast). A lot more toll free roads in the UK than the USA (though I do live in the NE), London is the only city I know that is tolled, none of the major highways are.

- air conditioning. - UK - not needed, its not warm or humid enough to justify the expense

- water (and other drinks) with ice in them at restaurants. See above, US beer is too damn cold, I have to tell them not to give me an iced glass.

- diversity.  Other countries may talk a good game but we've been all-in since day one, and have more countries and cultures represented among our citizenship than anywhere else on the planet. Freedom to discriminate against anyone, UK has a pretty diverse population given that all the old colonies have shipped a bunch of people back, and the country is the better for it.

- Fahrenheit, pounds, miles, gallons and acres.  Screw being like everyone else. All still used in the UK, and we actually have a proper pint not the wimpy 16oz thing you serve in the USA.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 13:48
^ Help me out here: how is 16oz or a pint conducive to living in any country?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 14:04
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Help me out here: how is 16oz or a pint conducive to living in any country?

You've got to have a proper pint Beer
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 15:24
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Unfortunately, my experience here in the US has been nothing short of soul-crushing. I came here almost seven years ago, full of hope, and now I feel like a shadow of my former self. I'll spare you the details because I don't want to offend any of you who love your country. I tried to go back home on numerous occasions, but it wasn't feasible for a number of reasons, and now I believe I will never be able to return

I really feel for you Raff, though I've never moved to a new country I have in the past uprooted my life for what I thought would be ideal and instead I just felt lost, lonely, alienated, and remorseful.  Not to mention deeply homesick.

Edited by Atavachron - October 12 2015 at 15:25
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 17:41
Not much worse than having your roots severed.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 18:49
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Yeah as long as you know how to be in a city it's fine.  I probably know the insane dude.
How do you deal with someone who moves in front of your vehicle and won't leave?  Is there a recommended course of action?LOL

The Dude....I was in the McDonalds bathroom on the east side of the park I think.  This guy walks in and tells me to just shut up and mind my own business....i hadn't said anything.....he goes into every stall and grabs all the toilet paper, comes out, grabs the paper towels and tries the soap dispenser but couldn't break it, jamming it all into his coat....and as he walks out he just says....."stay here or I'll f-ck you up". .

Alright then sir, have a great day!LOL

LOL  That MickyDs is notorious.  But Amoeba Records is right there so it's worth it  LOL

I forgot one detail.  At that time in that Mickeys....a customer could not just waltz into the bathroom.  You first had to go to the counter and request the key.  They were locked.  So I got the key and went back.  I opened the door and strolled in, and this dude must have been scoping out the door because he swooshed in behind me before the door closed and latched.  Then he went on his home furnishings tour.  So after I washed up I had to go back to the counter with the key.  I can't remember that exchange, thankfully.  But it was a memorable day visiting the Dead's house and GG, and a few shops. Unfortunately the weather sucked so we blew town early and headed up the coast. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 21:03
That key should be burned, god knows what's growing on it.  

Yeah the Deadhouse on Ashbury, they also lived on Downey.   And of course Airplane's mansion on Fulton.   The Haight has changed a lot even just since the 90s.   There are big burger joints and ~ heaven help us ~ a few of those cheezy jewelry&watch shops you see in tourist districts;  Y'know the ones with two vaguely middle eastern guys who smell like lamb and want to sell you a "Rollex" .  

Oy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 21:17
I see on Google the Dead house looks like a fortress now with all the shades down and bars on the windows.  Perhaps the current owners have tired of deadhead pilgrimages.  I'm guessing some of those old Victorians are going for huge bucks now?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 21:50
Ooooh yeah, several mill depending on condition.  I've also noticed more bars on windows, though the majority of houses are still unbarred.

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:06
I absolutely love travelling to the States on holiday - particularly the West - it's a long journey but worth every second.

The National Parks have already been mentioned. I just love the wide open spaces. Death Valley is my favourite, a place of such awe inspiring beauty. Just a few weeks back we were on holiday in the States and took a drive through the Mojave desert to Joshua Tree NP. That was amazing, nothing but fantastic desert scenery for about 140 miles - hardly saw another car in either direction.

You guys have indeed got plenty of elbow room out there.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:15
^  My family has had property in Hesperia since the sixties. It's not far from Joshua Tree.
My sister's in-laws had a weekend house in Mojave and I spent many weekends there as well.
I've liked the desert since I was a kid. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:19

I'm not sure Rattlesnakes are a benefit.

They sure are beautiful to look at.
I don't recommend a rub down though.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:44
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

^  My family has had property in Hesperia since the sixties. It's not far from Joshua Tree.
My sister's in-laws had a weekend house in Mojave and I spent many weekends there as well.
I've liked the desert since I was a kid. 

Liking the hot springs at Deep creek.

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:51
Thumbs Up  Certainly looks relaxing.
We used to go to some hot springs in the Temecula Valley back in the seventies.
Unfortunately, almost the entire valley is now populated. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:16
If you get the chance you should check it out, near the Bowen ranch
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:17
Thanks for the info.  Smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:38

- water (and other drinks) with ice in them at restaurants. See above, US beer is too damn cold, I have to tell them not to give me an iced glass.
Yup - ale should be served at cellar temperature, which is around 11°C/52°F, which is still pretty cold and just as refreshing so is not quite the "warm beer" we are sometimes accused of. Cold beer numbs the taste buds, which at 3°C/38°F is still not cold enough for me to want to drink lager or lite beer.

However, my issue with having ice in drinks is two fold - one: you get less actual drink and two: when it melts it dilutes the drink. The irony there is if you order a mineral water, the ice is made from tap water so as it melts your expensive Evian or Perrier spring-water that has been filtered through limestone over 5,000 years is gradually being diluted with common or garden tap water that has been treated in a chemical plant after passing through 6 other humans further upstream in the water course...

- Fahrenheit, pounds, miles, gallons and acres.  Screw being like everyone else. All still used in the UK, and we actually have a proper pint not the wimpy 16oz thing you serve in the USA.
The imperial gallon is also 20% more than the US gallon so an 8mpg Hummer would do 9.6 miles on a gallon of go-juice in the UK. Big smile ... the down-side of that of course is a UK gallon would cost $8.32 in the UK compared to $3.00 in the USA. This also means that when you buy a gallon of gas in the USA for $2.50 you're actually getting 20% less fuel than you would in the UK.

The only imperial measure that is used in the USA that isn't used in the UK is "cups" as we have always measured dry ingredients by weight rather than volume.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>