Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGood 'Progressive Pop' bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:11
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

And some Sparks:

Thumbs Up  ...and Iīd add that anyone who thinks that Sparks is really not progressive rock music is practically dead (grin).
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:25

Originally posted by GreatBeyonder GreatBeyonder wrote:

I feel like if I was a bitter and confused Wall Street broker facing the latest recession crisis, a Steely Dan record would be the soundtrack I blow my brains out to.

And they even wrote a song that is pretty much for that.

Yes...they did,   and that's one of my favorite tracks from perhaps my favorite Dan album.
Big smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:26
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExhVGg1mKw

I pulled that out the other day to play it....used to really get into Magazine.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:38
Originally posted by thebeastmustdie thebeastmustdie wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Super Furry Animals

yes! first band I thought of...

recommended tracks (bearing OP's request in mind):

Ice Hockey Hair, Mountain People, Citizen's Band, Receptacle For The Respectable, Hometown Unicorn

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

10cc. They're good when they do pop, although they play a variety of things as well.
definitely. think Sheet Music and How Dare You are probably the best album examples for this thread. They went very 'normal' pop when Godley & Crčme left. - in fact and Godley & Creme's "L" would be worth checking out as well. to me that album is more like 10CC than anything 10CC put their name to after How Dare You...

btw, I've tried hard to get into Alan Parsons Project but aside from loving the album covers, the imagery, the instrumentation, the whole future/retro concepts, etc.. the actual music leaves me a bit bored.
I'm with you on Alan Parsons'. After the first two albums, it was quite a slide. And Godley/Creme's L, I feel, is required listening for this category. Does anyone feel the same about the obscure Random Hold?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:47
XTC
Cardiacs
Knifeworld
MoeTar
Bent Knee
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 16:06
Tai Phong perhaps? They had amazing melodies abd harmonies on their first album.
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 14:30
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

And Godley/Creme's L, I feel, is required listening for this category. Does anyone feel the same about the obscure Random Hold?

never heard of Random Hold, will have to check them out... cheers
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 14:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I feel like if I was a bitter and confused Wall Street broker facing the latest recession crisis, a Steely Dan record would be the soundtrack I blow my brains out to.

And they even wrote a song that is pretty much for that.

Yes...they did,   and that's one of my favorite tracks from perhaps my favorite Dan album.
Big smile

Are you crazy, are you high, or just an ordinary guy?
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 14:40
I suppose Clouds qualify, perhaps not all the time, as the music is often of the virtuoso category, but many of the melodies are pop-song orientated as well, even though the arrangements around those songs remain complex.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 10:09
Originally posted by thebeastmustdie thebeastmustdie wrote:

And Godley/Creme's L, I feel, is required listening for this category. Does anyone feel the same about the obscure Random Hold?

never heard of Random Hold, will have to check them out... cheers
Yeah, two members of 'Hold did great other things: David Rhodes was (and is?) Peter Gabriel's guitarist, among a few, and Simon Ainley provided lead vocals for 801's (Phil Manzanera) Listen Now, one of my absolute favorite albums.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 16:08
I saw Random Hold supporting Peter Gabriel back in 1980; they were very good and certainly David Rhodes played guitar on the PG's 3rd lp.

coachbk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 22:31
I think this song fits the description!

An attempt to get more exposure for the song Fate by Discomedusa, by putting together some Tom Brady clips...
youtube.com
Bucklebutt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 22:51
I'll second XTC, Skylarking is a friggen fantastic album. Also, when I last saw Steven Wilson live he mentioned that XTC was "the best band in the world", you can really hear their influences on him. 
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 18:06
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 23:26
Sparks is the best listed so far. Their debut and Kimono are near flawless and completely unique. I swear some songs on the 1971 debut sound like 1981 new wave. Related to both Sparks and XTC is Todd Rundgren, whose Wizard album is fantastic.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 20:55
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Alan Parsons Project.

I've actually never checked them out, though I know Alan Parsons worked on Dark Side of the Moon. Will definitely give their stuff a listen though. :)

I think I Robot and Tales of Mystery and Imagination is essential listening.

For sure. In a nutshell, "I Robot" from 1977 is Parsonīs finest and as progressive as (rock) music can get, from start to finish. One of the finest concept albums in classic prog. To speculate whether it is "pop" or "rock" music is totally irrelevant. 

Ummmm finally. People who feel and know just how damn good I-Robot is!

It is my most loved APP album and one of my all time desert island takes.
It's a perfect album for me.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 10:25
For sure. In a nutshell, "I Robot" from 1977 is Parsonīs finest and as progressive as (rock) music can get, from start to finish. One of the finest concept albums in classic prog. To speculate whether it is "pop" or "rock" music is totally irrelevant. 
[/QUOTE] As fine an example of hyperbole as ever written in this forum. No, Tales of Mystery' is Parsons' most noted work and falls comfortably within the category of "classic" prog. That can't be said for 'Robot. It is indeed of a primarily "pop" construction with prog leanings. Has the best album cover of all the projects though (thanks Hipgnosis).
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 06:07

As fine an example of hyperbole as ever written in this forum. No, Tales of Mystery' is Parsons' most noted work and falls comfortably within the category of "classic" prog. That can't be said for 'Robot. It is indeed of a primarily "pop" construction with prog leanings. Has the best album cover of all the projects though (thanks Hipgnosis).[/QUOTE]

Iīm sure you donīt hyperbole here on PA, ever. You are missing the point here. "I Robot" is an art rock album. And itīs also totally irrelevant which of these two is better musically, itīs just a matter of taste. 

For me personally "I Robot" from 1977 is the finest ever from Alan Parsons and Eric Woolfson and their most progressive and mature work before and since. "Mystery" is his second best but do not reach perfection and, above all total harmony like " I Robot" does. Additionally, contains more mature lyrics (for the common man) than "Mystery" which is based on Edgar Allan Poeīs fantasies. "I Robot" is an art rock album that draws conceptually on author Isaac Asimov's science fiction Robot trilogy, exploring philosophical themes regarding artificial intelligence (Wiki). "I Robot" has total lack of pretentious and boring pop cliches, and the lyrics are actually very serious. It is a flawless art rock album, and for me personally a flawless prog album too because itīs very progressive in pop music context. So itīs also a pop album, and every bit of popular music. In fact, all here is about popular music (pop). "I Robot" is very interesting, intelligent and enjoyable, thatīs called "progressive". Very mature work in all aspects. And thatīs the essence of all. Also simple pop music can be very progressive. Surprisingly many prog album are actually pop music "with rock leanings", fine examples are many classic Yes songs. 

Yes, the best album cover of all his projects. And in the end of day, was it prog or pop, who gives a damn.

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - June 01 2016 at 01:43
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 06:20
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Sparks is the best listed so far. Their debut and Kimono are near flawless and completely unique. I swear some songs on the 1971 debut sound like 1981 new wave. Related to both Sparks and XTC is Todd Rundgren, whose Wizard album is fantastic.

In the hot summer of 1974 Sparksī "This Town Ainīt Big Enough for the Both of Us" on FM radio was like a fresh air
Tongue 

They actually brought fun in rock music again, like best glam. That video is very hilarious, in a positive way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ztSKDbDRXc
Kaivoks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 05:01
Given your criteria of "emphasizes harmony, melody, and accessibility while displaying a fondness for instrumental virtuosity" Frost* might fit the bill. Fronted by Jem Godfrey. I think their second album (Experiments in Mass Appeal) is more poppy than than their first (Milliontown). But both have songs that I'd classify with your criteria.

Saga might lean more toward rock than pop, but some of their songs are pretty accessible while having some pretty neat prog elements. (I'm not a huge fan of Saga, but I'll let you decide.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>