FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Your Music Collection Is Organised

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Your Music Collection Is Organised
    Posted: June 16 2016 at 12:21
  I have gone through quite a big change lately in how my music collection is organised.
        Basically, with my collection existing now with CDs only (and it has been that way for a while) I have my prog CDs filed in a half-hazard way now. That way, when I browse through things, less things get overlooked in the process of looking at things, which is kind of cool. Variety is the spice of life! The only exception to this is my Triumvirat, and Eddy Marron collections, where everything is grouped together.
             With my Classical music collection, I still have every work accessible, but only with the very best version of a given symphony or piano concerto or sonata available. Other versions have been stored away and archived. That way, I get more variety in my music accessing and listening, with my focus on the "creme de la creme" of versions. Things are half-hazard, as well, except for my CDs of my favorites Bruckner, Richard Strauss, Berlioz and Mahler, all grouped together.
             How do the rest of you organise your music? Do you still have hard copies of things at all, now? 

Edited by presdoug - June 16 2016 at 12:24
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 12:36
Everything by alphabet, except Yes, Genesis and Marillion all have their own shelves. I only listen to CDs in the car. At home, it is all in computer/windows media player.

i used to have like 200 records but i'm a total idiot who threw them out instead of taking them with me when moving.

I've been building up my collection via amazon/thrift stores, so i have about 340 now.
I have a cheap prepac stand, that holds around 320 or so. Now that i have too many, i basically pull one crap one out for every new good one i get.

So, my ( i am so embarrassed ) my Honeymoon Suite and Glass Tiger cds and stuff are just haphazardly stored on the side :)

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:17
All in alphabetical order by band name.
My original vinyl from the 60s and 70s is divided into two sections. Imports (500+) and US releases (1200+).
The new vinyl I'm collecting now (350+) is in a third section.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:25
Non-alphabetical chronological order.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:29
Short answer: it isn't. I think my Floyd releases are the only ones who've managed to stick together.
I actually rather like my collection scattered haphazardly on shelves. Every time I look for an album it becomes an adventure in itself.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:41
Initially I never bothered organising my record collection at all because even when my LP collection topped over 300 albums I knew where everything was and didn't need a filing system, However, my sister didn't so in 1979 while I was away at University she catalogued and re-organised my LP collection into alphabetical order so she could find stuff (and as payment she liberated half my Moody Blues collection, which by some strange co-incidence didn't get recorded in the catalogue she compiled). While I hated the alphabetised system it seemed disrespectful to then un-re-organise it all so until the advent of CDs I continued to store vinyl LPs in the system she'd imposed. Years later when CDs arrived I initially organised them by the colour of their spines because they were ugly enough as it was so creating a rainbow of CDs on the shelves looked much prettier. While this was aesthetically pleasing wife (aka "she-who-must-be-obeyed") did like that because she couldn't find anything so I decided grouped them by vague music style and/or genre, with the exception of Philip Glass and Pink Floyd who got their own respective shelves in the racking stacking system, and she-who-must-be-obeyed's 15 CDs where put on their own shelf away from my (by then) several thousand albums.

Then that became all too much to store in one room so the collection overflowed from the dining room to the living room to the conservatory and now into the spare bedroom and any thought of organising them in any meaningful way flew out the window. Since my daughter and her husband moved back in to the family home any hope of accessing my vinyl collection has also flown out the window as all their belongings are now stored in front of the wall-units they are shelved in so all new purchases are for now being kept in the hall-way. On the CD front, once again I have run out of storage shelf-space but now have reached the point where I have also run out of wall-space to stack the Ikea towers I've been buying to store them in. I fear the only two options remaining are the master bedroom (I doubt I'll swing that one past she-who-must-be-obeyed) or the attic. Ouch

But in answer to your question - haphazard and very random.

Edited by Dean - June 16 2016 at 13:48
What?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:48
All musical styles m9ixed together, sorted by artists alphabetically, but for each artist chronologically, with the exception of classical composers which appear alphabetically by name and work.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:50
^^
Oh the horrors of storaging music!
I do however trust you to come up with some ingenious solution, Mr Masterbuilder
How about a fake wall with room for cds on the inside? Maybe the-one-who-must-be-obeyed won't notice.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 16 2016 at 13:50
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:56
It's currently organized by type of music or genre...but I basically know where everything is.......I keep saying I'm going to alphabetize it all but it has yet to happen.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:01
I too have dabbled with the idea of organising my collection - hell I even had a Krautrock/Electronic section at one point that I really dug...but I never care enough to actually pull myself together and spend 4 hours filing music that at some future point will end up completely scrambled...again. Life is too short.

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:12
Alphabetical by artist and then alphabetical by album title.  My collection is spread throughout the house in 4 different rooms including the master bedroom.  It has not been updated in a while however, so recent purchases were haphazardly strewn throughout the home.  However, this past weekend, I sorted and alphabetized the newer purchases into various boxes and they are now organized and awaiting a merging of new into old. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:14
I need a butler

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:17

Edited by rushfan4 - June 16 2016 at 14:18
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:19
I'd like another one thanks

- Douglas Adams
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:43
I reorganize my collection every six lunar months, using a semi-alphabetical, semi-chronological, half-numerological, half-sound spectrum order.
I used to try a combination of the decimals of Pi, the Golden Number and the Kabbalah to have a more rational system, but I was lost after trying to include some calculus from Gödel in this method.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:44
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'd like another one thanks
greedy, you couldn't have finished the first one that quickly....
What?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 15:13
I tossed or gave away many hundreds of cassettes and CDs five years ago during a cross-country relocation.  Kept a couple shelves of obscure, out-of-print and private label ones and they're shelved in no particular order.

Still have 800-900 vinyl albums which I add to regularly.  Those are alphabetical except for the multi-disc sets which are mostly displayed on bookshelves.

Really though except for some vinyl albums that were never released on CD, I rarely play anything except digital music now (Spotify, Amazon player, or stuff I ripped myself from my own collection).

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 17:17
It seems I'll be the lonely black sheep in this herd: everything bought/ripped in FLAC format (when available) and stored on the Pc and from there on memory cards to take with me (mobile, car)
At home classified alphabetically by band and then by date via Foobar database/player (hard copies go to the atttic)
I dearly recall the LPs of my youth but that is all past for me now Cry took the digital road and never looked back

Edited by Quinino - June 16 2016 at 17:19
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 19:16
Alphabetically by artist, chronologically within artist.  Various-artists comps at the end, alphabetically by title.  Genre doesn't enter into it.  Makes everything easy to find.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 19:17
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Alphabetical by artist and then alphabetical by album title.  My collection is spread throughout the house in 4 different rooms including the master bedroom.  It has not been updated in a while however, so recent purchases were haphazardly strewn throughout the home.  However, this past weekend, I sorted and alphabetized the newer purchases into various boxes and they are now organized and awaiting a merging of new into old. 

you did that just so you could post it on this thread, didn't you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>