FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Forget Yes - The R&R HoF Still Hates Prog"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 07:52
Just read about this in the local newspaper.  It is a step in the right direction for the hall.  They also voted in ELO, so another not to a proggish type band.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 09:42
Likewise i couldn't care less about political capitalist institutions that use music as a means to devour large quantities of money. When someone makes a true thoroughly done music history museum that includes every aspect of recorded music, popular and not, then i'd be interested :)  Looks like PA and other sites are the closest thing to that 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 09:50
I'm glad to see Yes got in. I've been a fan for a long time. If it wasn't for Yes I probably would not be into this genre of music and would only know classic rock and not know the difference. 

Yes should have been inducted a long time ago. Pink Floyd has been in there for over 20 years. It makes no sense to me that they took so long to put Yes in. 

I still think the institution is a crock though and will never visit it. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 12:27
The voters will always vote in what they think is Rock artists, at least this year other than Tupak, they pretty much voted in only Rock Artists.
At the 60,000 foot level, it's all Rock Music, it's when you get to ground level that the sub-genres come into play and everyone gets their panties in a wad.

I have seen Steven Wilson twice in concert, both times he simply says "we are just a rock n roll band....." He never says.."we are just a heavy prog, ambient, alternative, art rock band......" LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:13
[The voters will always vote in what they think is Rock artists]

No, that's not it. Look at all the r&b, jazz, pop and rap artists in there. Are they all more rock than Yes? No, it all comes down to bias imo. The R&RHOF elite don't like prog. It's really not more complex than that imo. It's not about popularity either because at one point Yes were quite popular. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:20
Seriously, how about ELP in R&RHoF? Two founding members are now deceased and one was a real rock star and acted like it.

Edited by SteveG - December 20 2016 at 14:21
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:43
I'd say as far as prog goes it's a popularity contest. That's why the most  popular prog bands get in. It seems to be in order of popularity too: Pink Floyd then Genesis then Rush then Yes. After Yes the next most popular prog band is probably Jethro Tull or the Moody Blues then ELP. I agree ELP should still get in though.

It is good news that Yes got in this time around. Maybe they will finally get on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine now too. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:44
Obviously the hall means nothing, but good to see them there if for nothing else than a warm fuzzy feeling in my insides.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:48
hah.. more happy for ELO to be honest... that is a group that should have been inducted many many years ago itself.  At least Yes had the prog fundies going to bat for it.. who was bitching about ELO's omission...  then again.. I wasn't either. Who really cares...  other than get warm fuzzy feelings in the nether regions of our inner sentimnetal effeminate sides
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Seriously, how about ELP in R&RHoF? Two founding members are now deceased and one was a real rock star and acted like it.

Micky the Geek has ELP as a near lock for next year... you always knew Yes was going first.. ELP goes next year.

Book it...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:58
I'm already there micky. Let's meet up and party like it's 2099! Cool
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 15:00
Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 15:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No, that's not it. Look at all the r&b, jazz, pop and rap artists in there. Are they all more rock than Yes? No, it all comes down to bias imo. The R&RHOF elite don't like prog. It's really not more complex than that imo. It's not about popularity either because at one point Yes were quite popular. 

I should have stressed THINK is Rock Artists......They truly believe all the R&B artists they have inducted are Rock at the core.
I am not sure they dislike Prog, I think they don't understand what it is honestly. Remember, prog is our (fans) terminology, that was my point in what SW says. If you watch some of those old concerts of Yes, Genesis, ELP...the fans back then called it "pop", never "prog" and rarely "rock".

I can only imagine how Metallica fans felt about their band being called Rock and not Metal or Thrash.......

The RnRHoF voters will never induct a band because they were in a prog category......I think we are all on the same page.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 16:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I should have stressed THINK is Rock Artists......They truly believe all the R&B artists they have inducted are Rock at the core.
I am not sure they dislike Prog, I think they don't understand what it is honestly. Remember, prog is our (fans) terminology, that was my point in what SW says. If you watch some of those old concerts of Yes, Genesis, ELP...the fans back then called it "pop", never "prog" and rarely "rock".

I can only imagine how Metallica fans felt about their band being called Rock and not Metal or Thrash.......

The RnRHoF voters will never induct a band because they were in a prog category......I think we are all on the same page.

Labels are ultimately a bit arbitrary anyway. What one person thinks is one thing someone else will call it something different. Steven Wilson was never much of a fan of the term prog rock to begin with so that really doesn't surprise me. As for Metallica I'm not sure what they think of the term rock vs metal. I'm sure they are ok with metal. It doesn't make a difference but these days they would not lose to Jethro Tull if we had a separate category for just metal and not hard rock/metal. Tongue I know Black Sabbath didn't embrace the term metal and neither did Lemmy who called what Motorhead did "rock n roll." So labels are good to some degree but can also get in the way of things too. Back in the seventies when Yes were hot they probably weren't promoted as prog and that is probably a good thing. You get thrown in that box and then only people who are already fans of the genre tend to discover you. I get the feeling the Flower Kings and maybe a whole bunch of other bands would be more well known if it wasn't for the prog label. However, I did recently see Spock's Beard mentioned on a metal site so who knows. SB are definitely not metal though so I'm not sure what that site was thinking. LOL
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 20:48
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I will probably watch the ceremony, if only to see how awkward it is when ARW get together on stage with Howe and White...but who will play the bass? Two guitarists, two keyboard players, no bass?

They could at least have included Sherwood.

Rick already stated that he wasn't going to be a part of any sort of reunion because of the Hall of Fame thing. We'll see if he sticks to it.

http://www.rwcc.com/gorr.asp
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 23:10
The HoF should be the Popular Music Hall Of... how is this fame measured anyway? Hits? How did Led Zeppelin get in? Concert attendance? Why so long for Yes?

What is progressive rock?

What is classic rock?

We'll never know.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 22:55
The RRHF now has a touch of class with Yes in it. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 23:42
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

And Genesis and Pink FLoyd. It's almost like a real life version of this site.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 07:02
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

The only reason I would care if YES made it in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is I'm sure several of the members of YES would like it.    YES has given me so many great moments over the years so I hope they make it.  

The sad thing is that by the time some get there, some folks won't have the chance to see it, and cry right before us, and say thank you ... and in the end, the whole thing is a sad excuse (money only!) for a handful of people and has nothing to do with the "music" itself, because its rules fit one and not the other, and yet another invitee does not even come close.

Maybe, some 75 years later, it might seem like a better idea for a Hall of Fame ... but the name itself, ruins the clarity and ideology of the whole thing.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 07:04
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Way too late ... way too late!

Chris Squire deserved to see this! 

But that's OK ... Chris and Yes will be remembered far more into history than the HoF ever will!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>