Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are Non-Christians Able To Enjoy Neal Morse Music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre Non-Christians Able To Enjoy Neal Morse Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 04:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

You're not a well man, Puppy, but we on the Archives are happy to embrace the freaks! No judgement, buddy!

Actually, I have an baffling obsession with the drippiest, lamest Hallmark Christmas TV movies, so I probably need help more than anyone!
Amen brother!!!  I keep coming back each Saturday night to watch the latest installment even though you can pretty much predict what is going to happen after 5 minutes of understanding the story line.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 04:34
For me, it depends on how good the music is and artist's performance. However, overtly preachy lyrics are a turnoff for me. I not a particular fan of Morse's music, but the same held true for me when he was in Spock's Beard.

But as just examples, I could listen to Benedicts and Lay Down by the Strawbs anytime, any day.

Edited by SteveG - December 29 2016 at 04:36
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 04:46
I remember satanists having a problem with Black Sabbath, because Ozzy cried "oh God, please help me".... LOL
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 05:04
I am generally not a fan when anyone feels the need to project their beliefs at me, whether it be through music or otherwise, whether it be politics, religion, or what have you. If that's how you feel, so be it, great! I just don't need to hear about it. I try very hard to live my life not projecting my beliefs on anyone else.

However, it generally doesn't affect me through music because I'm far more interested in the music than the lyrics. The reason I don't care of Spock's Beard's Snow is not because of Morse's religious beliefs, it's because that album just doesn't click with me musically. I find it an extreme let down after V. I haven't listened to much of his solo stuff, or Transatlantic.

For years, Kings X was characterized as a Christian rock band. I never really agreed with that label but it didn't stop me from loving their music.  

Edited by Jeffro - December 29 2016 at 10:27
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 05:07

Actually, I have an baffling obsession with the drippiest, lamest Hallmark Christmas TV movies, so I probably need help more than anyone!

Good god, my wife watches all of those movies. What amazes me is how many of these movies can be made that have basically the exact same plot. It's always boy meets girl, girl meets boy, Christmas is wonderful, and we all live happily ever after. Sometimes with a slight plot twist but in the end, that's how it works out LOL

Edited by Jeffro - December 29 2016 at 05:09
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 05:40
And what about Kansas, and Kerry Livrgen?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 06:30
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

You're not a well man, Puppy, but we on the Archives are happy to embrace the freaks! No judgement, buddy!

Amen brother!!!  I keep coming back each Saturday night to watch the latest installment even though you can pretty much predict what is going to happen after 5 minutes of understanding the story line.

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Good god, my wife watches all of those movies. What amazes me is how many of these movies can be made that have basically the exact same plot. It's always boy meets girl, girl meets boy, Christmas is wonderful, and we all live happily ever after. Sometimes with a slight plot twist but in the end, that's how it works out LOL

Scott, Jeff - I CANNOT get enough of them! That predictability is kind of part of the...`charm' of them, I guess! I like the safe, cheerful, good-hearted innocence of them, everything (often literally!) wrapped up with a nice big happy bow at the end! I won't lie...I kind of went on a bit of a bender at a local store and bought about a dozen of them for a few bucks each to prepare myself for the holiday season!

I'm enjoying this (ahem!) `gem' at the moment

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 06:42
My girlfriend and I watch the weekly Hallmark movies just about every Saturday night.  I watch them for her benefit...but ahem....I find that I actually do enjoy them.  An old softy buried somewhere within my tough exterior.  (or so I want to believe anyways)
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 06:47
Well, I will say this, we definitely need more feel good entertainment these days. 

An added benefit to these movies is that they always seem to feature really hot women.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 06:48
As regards to the original post, let me direct the OP to this thread.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103212&KW=neal+morse&PID=5197808#5197808
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 07:00
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

My girlfriend and I watch the weekly Hallmark movies just about every Saturday night.  I watch them for her benefit...but ahem....I find that I actually do enjoy them.  An old softy buried somewhere within my tough exterior.  (or so I want to believe anyways)

I split from my long-term partner a couple years ago, and a more recent potential catch turned out to be a dead end, so sadly this and last year I've had to watch them by myself. I turned 40 this year, so I'm not quite old enough to be a bitter old man yet I'm definitely a little burned and cynical, but man, when it comes to those Christmas flicks, I'm a bit of a romantic wimp with a gleam of hope in my eye!

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Well, I will say this, we definitely need more feel good entertainment these days. 

An added benefit to these movies is that they always seem to feature really hot women.

Usually APPROACHABLE hot, too, which makes them even HOTTER, plus their characters are usually so nice and adorable that you just want to cuddle them....or, you know, cue me sending out lovestruck Facebook messages to them asking for their hand in marriage!

I'm straight as an arrow, but I also laugh at how absurdly handsome the male leads are too, they'll come on the screen and I'll be like `Ah, for f*ck's sake!!! What chance do us `norms' have?!'

Cheers for a great laugh, fellas, and sorry to everyone for temporarily derailing the thread!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 07:03
I like Neal Morse's music a lot but it's his vocals (not lyrics) that i dislike the most. He doesn't have a very good range and i think he tackles music out of his league vocally speaking so his music is knocked down a step for me personally. As far as lyrics, i find most artist's lyrics ridiculous when you sit and read them without musical accompaniment whether it be Satanic black metal, Christian rock or just plain philosphical prog. Once in a rare while i find lyrics that actually sound profound and condusive to the sounds that surround them. I think i'm like many who are musically oriented first and lyrically secondarily. I know others are the opposite but if i only got into music for the lyrics i would find very few albums that resonate with me Tongue
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 07:55
I would probably dislike his lyrics if I could get past the music, pass.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 08:08
It seems like a lot of prog fans here are not into Morse's music....so who's buying his albums? 
Wink
I like Spocks Beard and Morse's work with them...indeed V is my favorite with him. But for some reason his solo albums have not made much of an impact with me. I don't think it's the lyrics because they seem innocuous enough to me so it must be the songs themselves. Apparently his post Spocks music just isn't reaching me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 13:36
I don't have that problem.  For one, I pay very, very little attention to lyrics when I listen to music.  I really couldn't care less what anyone is singing about. 

But even if I do pay attention to lyrics and I disagree with a point of view expressed in lyrics, it doesn't matter to me. I don't see listening to music as something like voting for a point of view, and anyway, part of the gist of art in the first place is that you can't know that the artist is straightforwardly, transparently expressing personal beliefs or not.  Art isn't the same thing as a confessional. They might be presenting something fictional, something from the perspective of a character, something that they're commenting on indirectly or abstractly, etc.

I'm a "staunch atheist"--I've never had any religious beliefs whatsoever.  Religious beliefs seem completely friggin bonkers to me.  Yet I'm a huge gospel music fan.  So definitely lyrics from a point of view I disagree with do not affect my enjoyment of music.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 13:48
Yes.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 13:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It seems like a lot of prog fans here are not into Morse's music....so who's buying his albums?

I'm not into him, but just because I'm not really familiar with him.  I certainly know his name, and I know I've heard some Spock's Beard and enjoyed it okay, but I've never really listened to them much--I guess they didn't impress me that much, but I remember liking them well enough that I should give them a fairer shake.  I may have even heard something from solo Neal Morse (or the Neal Morse Band or whatever it is), but I don't recall anything about it. I've not heard any Transatlantic.  And I'm also not a Dream Theater fan re some of the other people he's worked with.  I don't hate Dream Theater or anything.  They've just never clicked with me.

And in general, although I like a lot of the "big names"--Rush, Kansas, ELO, later Genesis, etc. (I like earlier Genesis, too, but they don't fit what I'm about to say), in general, I tend to not like the more AORish prog from artists I'm not already a fan of.  When I've gone exploring for new-to-me artists in the last few decades, I've tended to be more drawn to avant prog, RIO, etc. type stuff.  This probably just amounts to the fact that I grew up listening to Rush, Kansas, etc., but my tastes/interests changed by the mid 80s.  Or in other words, would I like Rush et al if I'd only first heard them in the 90s or beyond?  I don't know.
Bragi Taliesin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 19:20
So, what I'm mostly hearing is a lot of people here who don't really care for Neal's music outside of its lyrical content, and a lot of people who pay little attention to the lyrical content of music in general. Neither viewpoint really applies to my situation, however.

I'm usually a big fan of lyrics in music, particularly outside of the realm of prog, and they often tend to help or hinder my ability to enjoy a song. Outside of prog, I'm especially fond of the singer-songwriter stuff from the Laurel Canyon scene of the late-60's and 70's. In prog, however, I find most lyrics to usually be a neutral factor in my enjoyment of the music, with a few notable exceptions. The lyrics of Peter Hammill/VDGG greatly improve my enjoyment of the music, and the same goes for Fish-era Marillion. Off the top of my head, however, the only time that I recall a lyric making me dislike a song from the prog world (prior to Neal Morse's Christian-themed lyrics) was with 'The Trees' by Rush. Those lyrics struck me as rather trite and callous propaganda for the ideals of Ayn Rand-ian economic Darwinism, and particularly rubbed me the wrong way.

On the music side, the sound of Neal Morse-era Spock's Beard holds a special place in my heart. I was living in Los Angeles in the early to mid-90's, unsuccessfully trying my own hand at making it in the music business as a singer/lyricist. Mark & Brian, the morning DJ's on KLOS radio there, introduced me to the music of Kevin Gilbert and Toy Matinee, which I absolutely loved. Then Kevin's later band, Thud, introduced me to the incredible drumming of Nick D'Virgilio. So, when I heard that Nick was in a full-blown symphonic-style prog band (featuring an actual mellotron, no-less!), well I had to check this band out. Sure, the influences of the classic-era were blatantly obvious, and the band certainly didn't seemed to be breaking too much new musical ground, but their sound was (to quote liberally from Aussie-Byrd-Brother) "melodic and energetic" and the vocalist and main songwriter (Neal) had "a killer ear for great melodies and slick vocals." They were a breathe of fresh air in the stale music scene of mid-90's L.A., to me anyway. I became a fan, and was lucky enough to see them live numerous times at clubs in and around L.A., and even to meet the guys in the band on a few occasions. To this day, I consider the "V" album to be one of my favorites from the decade.

So, were it not for the Christian-themed lyrics, I really should be able to enjoy Neal's current music, one would think. However, my dislike for the dogma of the bronze-age sky-god religions in general, and Christianity in particular, really seems to get in the way of my ability to appreciate any of the music. Try as I might, I just can't get past the lyrics to see why PA members have rated his current album as the top release of 2016. Again, am I completely alone in this?
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 21:12
Originally posted by Bragi Taliesin Bragi Taliesin wrote:

Try as I might, I just can't get past the lyrics to see why PA members have rated his current album as the top release of 2016. Again, am I completely alone in this?

So, what I'm mostly hearing is a lot of people here who don't really care for Neal's music outside of its lyrical content, and a lot of people who pay little attention to the lyrical content of music in general. 

Well, you seem to have answered that first part on your own. 

Now I'm gonna let you in on a little secret... if you don't like certain music, then move on! There's so much excellent music being made nowadays, and so much excellent music that's been put out, recorded, and archived on the internet that there's no excuse for you not to be able to find something that fits whatever niche you're looking for. Why waste your time on something that you'll probably never grow to appreciate? There are so many other albums out there that you might fall in love with instantly. The thing is, if you want to find the quality stuff, you'll probably have to look a lot further than whatever some algorithm decides as being the most popular album of the week, as rated by some ka-nuckleheads here at PA. 

As many a wise forum user has said, "ratings suck; read the reviews". Take that advice to the grave, my friend. You'll get far better mileage out of finding reviewers with similar tastes as you and reading their thoughts on an album than looking at some faceless numerical agglomeration of whatever the fanboys think.

On the music side, the sound of Neal Morse-era Spock's Beard holds a special place in my heart. Sure, the influences of the classic-era were blatantly obvious, and the band certainly didn't seemed to be breaking too much new musical ground, but their sound was (to quote liberally from Aussie-Byrd-Brother) "melodic and energetic" and the vocalist and main songwriter (Neal) had "a killer ear for great melodies and slick vocals." 

If Spock's Beard has a special place in your heart, then all the power to you. Blare it out loud n' proud until your neighbours send in noise complaints. Getting tired of those specific albums, though? Melodic and energetic bands with great melodies and slick vocals are a dime a dozen nowadays. Don't like Morse's current take on the sound? Browse around bandcamp for 20 minutes and you'll find all sorts of goodies to feast on. Better yet, you can pick and choose whatever music you most agree with ideologically. No one's stopping you!

Why worry about rationalizing why or why not you can or can't enjoy an album or not? Good music should be about getting emotionally involved, and feeling the vibes, not getting in some sort of philosophical quandary. LOL That isn't to say that good music can't provoke deep thought, of course, but if the sorts of thoughts are along the lines of "how can other people enjoy this?", then it's probably time to move on. If Morse's latest album just isn't your thing, so be it. Not everyone looks for the same things in music and not everyone has the same tastes. Stop worrying about what others think about music and just think what you think. Life's too short, man. Thumbs Up

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - December 29 2016 at 21:13
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 21:22

So, what I'm mostly hearing is a lot of people here who don't really care for Neal's music outside of its lyrical content, and a lot of people who pay little attention to the lyrical content of music in general. Neither viewpoint really applies to my situation, however.

I'm usually a big fan of lyrics in music, particularly outside of the realm of prog, and they often tend to help or hinder my ability to enjoy a song. Outside of prog, I'm especially fond of the singer-songwriter stuff from the Laurel Canyon scene of the late-60's and 70's. In prog, however, I find most lyrics to usually be a neutral factor in my enjoyment of the music, with a few notable exceptions. The lyrics of Peter Hammill/VDGG greatly improve my enjoyment of the music, and the same goes for Fish-era Marillion. Off the top of my head, however, the only time that I recall a lyric making me dislike a song from the prog world (prior to Neal Morse's Christian-themed lyrics) was with 'The Trees' by Rush. Those lyrics struck me as rather trite and callous propaganda for the ideals of Ayn Rand-ian economic Darwinism, and particularly rubbed me the wrong way.

On the music side, the sound of Neal Morse-era Spock's Beard holds a special place in my heart. I was living in Los Angeles in the early to mid-90's, unsuccessfully trying my own hand at making it in the music business as a singer/lyricist. Mark & Brian, the morning DJ's on KLOS radio there, introduced me to the music of Kevin Gilbert and Toy Matinee, which I absolutely loved. Then Kevin's later band, Thud, introduced me to the incredible drumming of Nick D'Virgilio. So, when I heard that Nick was in a full-blown symphonic-style prog band (featuring an actual mellotron, no-less!), well I had to check this band out. Sure, the influences of the classic-era were blatantly obvious, and the band certainly didn't seemed to be breaking too much new musical ground, but their sound was (to quote liberally from Aussie-Byrd-Brother) "melodic and energetic" and the vocalist and main songwriter (Neal) had "a killer ear for great melodies and slick vocals." They were a breathe of fresh air in the stale music scene of mid-90's L.A., to me anyway. I became a fan, and was lucky enough to see them live numerous times at clubs in and around L.A., and even to meet the guys in the band on a few occasions. To this day, I consider the "V" album to be one of my favorites from the decade.

So, were it not for the Christian-themed lyrics, I really should be able to enjoy Neal's current music, one would think. However, my dislike for the dogma of the bronze-age sky-god religions in general, and Christianity in particular, really seems to get in the way of my ability to appreciate any of the music. Try as I might, I just can't get past the lyrics to see why PA members have rated his current album as the top release of 2016. Again, am I completely alone in this?

OK, I may be somewhat blind in this since I don't know how he writes his lyrics, nor exactly the theme he is singing about, but my advice would be to take the lyrics as mythology instead of religion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>