22 [31.88%]
27 [39.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 05:38
What micky really wanted to recommend was Dream Theater but the worm in the bottom of his whiskey bottle advised him otherwise.  That Yeti album may be the least favorite album in my collection.  An awful racket that album is...although one day I was listening to it and thought "wow this is quite good".  I've only achieved that the one time however. 

You will find that pretty much everyone in the world who listens to RIO/Avant type music posts on this site, and to a man or woman they all hate Neo prog type bands.  To me, it is the Neo prog bands that carry the torch for the sound of the music that I like.  i.e. guitar, bass, keyboard and drums with the occasional flute or saxophone and songs that tell stories.  The RIO/Avant types have tired of this formula and prefer the more out there musics that omit the guitars and keyboards and instead feature bassoons and marimbas.  This music is in theory more "progressive" than the more "retro" Neo prog but also to my ears doesn't really sound like the type of music that I fell in love with from the primary prog bands.  And to that end, the current music in these areas is still retro, but just to a different group of outlier bands instead of the primary prog bands.  Ultimately, there is room for all of us on here...but at times the sides can be as far a part as the alt-left and the alt-right.  
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 06:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Amon Duul II man....  Marillion?  pfff...   Eloy is good, definitely lightyear ahead of that pansy Neo sh*t.  However ADII are more than merely a good band. Legends with debatable one of the greatest album trilogies of all prog rock.  Not sure which one you started with..  but if you haven't heard Yeti..  do yourself a favor.. preferrably under the influence to get the full effect.
This.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 06:21
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

What micky really wanted to recommend was Dream Theater but the worm in the bottom of his whiskey bottle advised him otherwise.  That Yeti album may be the least favorite album in my collection.  An awful racket that album is...although one day I was listening to it and thought "wow this is quite good".  I've only achieved that the one time however. 

You will find that pretty much everyone in the world who listens to RIO/Avant type music posts on this site, and to a man or woman they all hate Neo prog type bands.  To me, it is the Neo prog bands that carry the torch for the sound of the music that I like.  i.e. guitar, bass, keyboard and drums with the occasional flute or saxophone and songs that tell stories.  The RIO/Avant types have tired of this formula and prefer the more out there musics that omit the guitars and keyboards and instead feature bassoons and marimbas.  This music is in theory more "progressive" than the more "retro" Neo prog but also to my ears doesn't really sound like the type of music that I fell in love with from the primary prog bands.  And to that end, the current music in these areas is still retro, but just to a different group of outlier bands instead of the primary prog bands.  Ultimately, there is room for all of us on here...but at times the sides can be as far a part as the alt-left and the alt-right.  

Excellent post. Scott, and it's because of thoughtful posts like this that I stick around here.

There is a level of polarity here between the more experimental minded and the more melodic-minded (I like melodic folk more than melodic rock). Good analogy on alt left and right. I have found Neo-Proggers, and Symph fans, tend to be more conservative, or right wing, in their politics as well as their music tastes than the Avant-oriented, and we all are alt. here to some extent. Or am I biasing my opinion too much because I assume that those with "progressive",more experimental tastes are more likely to be more progressive politically,and vice versa? Mind you, we have our more progressive left and regressive lefties when it comes to music and politics, and as for the right....

Politically, I don't want to be labeled left or right, more centrist if anything, even though my philosophy tends to put me on the left, and I also would like to move away from this dichotomy when it comes to music appreciation.

There is room for a wide variety of people here, but most of us, despite which side we tend to align ourselves with, still have common ground musically and ideologically so the apparent dichotomy is not as polarized as it may sometimes appear.

I'm exhausted and unsure if my post makes much sense.

EDIT to add] instead of making a new post: was thinking about how you you use the term alt-left which until Trump used it recently, I don't recall seeing. The regressive left vs. progressive left has been the popular one (Maajid Nawaz popularised it, but I know I used it before then, along with regressive rock, or Gorp as I like to call it) and alt-left might be thought of as a Trumpism.

Edited by Logan - August 16 2017 at 08:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 06:28
I'm in ZART but I don't dislike the first Marillion. I like Bob Dylan, too.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 07:26
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I'm in ZART but I don't dislike the first Marillion. I like Bob Dylan, too.

You're in ZART and in Neo, like Keishiro. No reason why one can't like both. And as for Micky, I haven't had the impression over the years that he is big on RIO or Neo-Prog (which isn't to say that there aren't bands/ albums he likes in RIO/Avant as clearly there are, but probably not nearly as many there are for me).

Edited by Logan - August 16 2017 at 07:28
Just a fanboy passin' through.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 07:44
I enjoy all three but voted for Marillion because Marbles is pretty close to perfect.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:44
I like all 3 bands

Eloy is the one I listen to most often, but they are all worth exploring.
Prog On!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:50

I too like the RIO and the NEO. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:50
I suppose Amon Duul II for me, if only for the strength of the first three records. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 10:24
ELOY
L   O
O   L
YOLE
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 10:33
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I too like the RIO and the NEO. 
That is very rare around these parts.  I like both as well, but prefer the Neo sound. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 10:36
All three bands have evolved over time, so one era does not sound quite the same as another.

For sheer definitive Krautrock abandon, nothing beats Amon Duul II, especially their first three albums.  I am a little iffy on them after that, but Wolf City is also excellent.

I much prefer the earlier Fish era Marillion to the Hogarth era even though the latter has lasted far longer.  Fish brought an edge to their sound that makes it for me.

Eloy, from the few albums I have of theirs, evolved from a Psychadelic/Space Rock band to something more symphonic.  Both Ocean and Ocean Two are excellent but also very different.  Twenty years will do that. 

I recommend listening to the downloads on this site to get a taste for what these bands have to offer.  The Eloy list is especially large.  This is one of the best features on PA to listen to what a band is all about.

I voted for Amon Dull II to even up the score as much as anything.  All three of these bands are worth exploring.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 12:45
Amon Düül II is surely the most interesting band on the list. Sure they were great in the beginning (Yeti and Tanz der Lemminge are on top), later they were hit and miss but they always tried to do something new, they hardly ever stood still, neither copied themselves nor any other band. Quite a number of things they did are of very questionable quality though, ultimately it's a matter of taste whether they do it for you or not. If you love the band like me you'll find even the low points (and there are enough of them) charming.

The other two bands are much more consistent, despite also having gone through some development. You've got to like Bornemann's singing for appreciating Eloy, which is a hard test. Look out for their bass player Matziol though, great guy! They are often accused of copying Pink Floyd and Yes but I think they have quite a few elements that are truly their own, particularly rhythm- and soundwise. Sometimes I'd have liked to see more substance in their compositions, though. Marillion I leave to others, they're reasonably nice to my ears but never really fascinated me.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 15:03
Marillion by a wide margin. The other 2 are minor bands imo. Marillion have influenced a generation of prog artists.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 15:56
Amon Duul II for me as neither of the other bands really does that much for me. Micky has only recently converted to RIO/Avant so he's become a bit of an evangelist. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 17:31
amen brother.. excuse me.. Uncle

yeah with Uncle Ian on one side and Auntie Raff on the other..  I really had no f**king chance to escape conversion.

I caught myself almost reaching for Disco Volante the other day... what happened to me.  I blame you two...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 17:36
It's got to be Eloy!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 19:36
Well I see that all three of these have their fans on here, but appears to be a two horse race atm between Eloy and ADII. I'm almost tempted to go with Marillion though just due to all the pressure not to lol.

Anyway thank you all for your responses, especially the ones who really gave honest objective opinions. It all helps me to make this decision here to just focus on one of them and leave the other two to eventually get back to 'some day.'

Edited by YESESIS - August 16 2017 at 19:38
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 20:18
Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 21:29
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

From this ones the only one I know is Marillion, and I have really liked them. Specially the debut and Misplaced Childhood. I haven't heard the other two Fish era albums, but I do have a few live albums and so have heard lots of the songs, so for me those two albums are the best ones, but there's some good songs from the other two as well. From the Hogarth era I have heard less, and in general it seems to me that they didn't achieve the same level of greatness... they just seem to lack energy and passion. However, there are a few songs that I have come to like from it (though I still have to get Brave and Marbles), and did like a lot "Sounds that can't be made". By the way, talking about Marillion, you might want to check out Transatlantic too (the bass player from Marillion is a member of that band)... well, particularly I love "The Whirlwind" from them... the whole album is just amazing. Another side project from Trewavas is the more recent Edison's Children; "The Final Breath Before November" is also a wonderful album.

Thanks for your input here and the suggestions(as always). And yeah, what I've heard from them so far(the debut and Misplaced Childhood) I really have liked. Interesting to see how they do in this poll here because I've liked what I've heard from the other two bands as well. But need to pick one and focus on them.. so we'll see what happens here.

Since you already have two albums from the Fish era Marillion, I guess you can be done with that era very fast... either get a live album (I have "The Thieving Magpie" and "Live from Loreley") to get an overview of the whole Fish era... or just get the other two live albums. Then you might focus on whichever of the other bands you want to check out, and come back to Marillion later.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>