Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What statement do you get most tired of hearing?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat statement do you get most tired of hearing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What do you get most tired of hearing?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [3.70%]
6 [11.11%]
1 [1.85%]
1 [1.85%]
7 [12.96%]
2 [3.70%]
7 [12.96%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.70%]
10 [18.52%]
16 [29.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 22:15
"There aren't any good prog bands anymore." Yes there are they just aren't in the Top 40 anymore because it's not the 1970s.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 22:18
You could have added there also "Jethro Tull isnīt prog". Anyway I am tired to hear this or that isnīt prog, I donīt care whatīs prog and whatīs not, all I care is something great music or not. And also thatīs is just a matter of different opinions, there are no exact truths whatsīs great music and whatīs not.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 22:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I see a lot of posts on youtube when I watch GG videos or KC or any old seventies band and almost inevitably I will read someone say "there aren't any bands like this anymore." I just changed it to prog in this site. I get tired of having to point out to these guys that prog still exist. Seriously they are typing on the internet how can they still think prog died? I don't get it. 
My personal opinion is the the most interesting music after seventies hasnīt mostly come from the prog. But of course I donīt want to say any music genre has died, although real RīN`R is very close to it. And also to me prog is keeping alive at the moment only Knifeworld & Faust, well Circle too, but I think even themselves are not calling their music prog. And Procol Harum, Hawkwind, Roger Waters & Strawbs made great albums last year, but does those artists continue making good albums, thatīs good question.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 22:30
Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

I picked Eighties Yes and Genesis suck.

Owner of A Lonely Heart!
Much Better Than An
Abacab!
Isn't anywhere
doesn't really care
Big Generator!
Hands upon the wheel
Moving to the left
(Moving!)
Land of Confusion!
This is the world we live in
and these are the hands we're given

eh? eh?
a lot of great 80's Genesis----not a lot of great 80's Yes
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 23:06
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Other.
Any modern band, that's very derivative of 70s prog is bad.
That statement has come up a buncha times in some PA reviews. I can't recall any particular instance unfortunately. IMO that's a narrow minded way of thinking.
EDIT:
Oh, okay! Here's a great example of this!

One thing I've never understood is why it's seemingly so taboo to sound like 70s prog as compared to any other genre. I see that attitude when people talk about Opeth's newer albums; it's "regressive" because they've made their 70s prog influences more obvious instead of doing the same death metal album over and over again.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 02:17
[/QUOTE]
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Out of the ones here and I will get hate for it too

"In the court of the Crimson King was the first prog album"
I think this might the only opinion about KC that I agree with you. That statement doesnīt irritate me and I can understand why itīs made. Court still is one of the greatest Crimson albums, also have to remember itīs their first album, there were of course also many other bands that showed their whole potential in their first album, but not many as great way. But still, why just that album is said first prog album? Most of itīs songs still had typical pop song structure (verse, chorus, solo in the middle), also there had been same kind of long improvisation periods in psychedelic albums as there is in Moonchild. Month after Court became Colosseum Valentyne Suite, it has one side long epic that Court doesnīt have, why it isnīt the first prog album? Also, where comes the line between protoprog and prog? Why Court isnīt protoprog-album (if I remember right Valentyne Suite is called protoprogalbum)? Also, when Court is called progalbum, I think easily Moodies Days Of Future and Procol Shine On Brightly could have called, theyīre concept album or include long epic, Court isnīt either. Also Familyīs Music In a Dollīs House is much more concept album than Court, there are those theme variations all over the album, also in songs there are many progstructures.

Anyway if I have to give first progalbum title to some album, I would choose Beatles Sgt. Although most of itīs songs are pop songs, there are songs like Lucy In the Sky, Benefit of Mr. Kite, Within You Without You and specially a Day In Life that breaks out the ordinary popsong structure (I would call a Day In Life one of the first prog epics). But what most important, itīs concept album, and really work as an album, just like album become the prog music unit. And also, that album cover was the style what most progalbums would have too. If Beatles hadnīt made Sgt, I believe prog would have sounded and also looked a lot different.

Edited by Mortte - April 12 2018 at 02:18
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 02:27
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Other.
Any modern band, that's very derivative of 70s prog is bad.
That statement has come up a buncha times in some PA reviews. I can't recall any particular instance unfortunately. IMO that's a narrow minded way of thinking.
EDIT:
Oh, okay! Here's a great example of this!

One thing I've never understood is why it's seemingly so taboo to sound like 70s prog as compared to any other genre. I see that attitude when people talk about Opeth's newer albums; it's "regressive" because they've made their 70s prog influences more obvious instead of doing the same death metal album over and over again.
I really love sixties-seventies style and sounds and havenīt got nothing against of using them in todayīs albums. I think the most problem in todayīs old sounding prog is that there are lots same kind of melodies, also really I have had hard to find that "clue" what is important to me in music, some new progsongs sounds to me that theyīve just put in a row themes that hasnīt got anything to do with each other. I am just not interested music that really much reminds me something that I have already listened a lot. I am searching from new music some personality, something that hasnīt made before just that way. But anyway I like those few last Opeth albums much more than their earlier albums (except Damnation).
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 02:35
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I see a lot of posts on youtube when I watch GG videos or KC or any old seventies band and almost inevitably I will read someone say "there aren't any bands like this anymore." I just changed it to prog in this site. I get tired of having to point out to these guys that prog still exist. Seriously they are typing on the internet how can they still think prog died? I don't get it. 

Dude YES. Exactly. I post comments on GG vids all the time. It's a 50/50 split between older guys who were there at the time, and younger kids who can't figure out how they know about Opeth, Dream Theater, etc, but never heard Gentle Giant. Amazing. Prog is like brand new to those kids, lmao.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 02:50
all of them, because they are more or less inaccurate (LOL)
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 02:59
Prog died in the seventies of too much emphasis. It did not matter for me at that time. Today it's no longer possible.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 04:00
(Agree that all the choices are grievously irritating) but Voted Other:

'Prog (and Jazz) fans are more intelligent than fans of other more mainstream music'

The most brilliant person I know is a member of MENSA, designs relational databases and manages huge mainframe computer systems for many famous corporate clients and his favourite band is....Smokie Shocked
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 04:54
Many of these I don't care about. Actually the only nonsense here that could really annoy me is "punk killed prog". By which I don't mean to say I agree with all the others. (Having all these statements in a "which one you like/agree with most"-poll may also be fun.)

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 04:58
As someone who likes both Punk and Prog, I dislike the "Punk killed Prog" statement.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 08:37
Most of those statements have some truth to them except that there are no good bands left.
Don't tell Big Big Train, Wobbler, Kotebel, The Neal Morse Band, Deluge Grander or Cheer-Accident that.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 08:39
'All of the above'..,,,,.as someone else already mentioned....
though I do get a little tired of hearing claims about bands that should be or should not be called prog...like 'The Beach Boys'. Every few months someone gets a bug up their butt about them or The Beatles being prog or not and/or the first true prog band.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 08:41
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Most of those statements have some truth to them except that there are no good bands left.
Don't tell Big Big Train, Wobbler, Kotebel, The Neal Morse Band, Deluge Grander or Cheer-Accident that.

Thanks for mentioning 'Cheer Accident'.....my friend Greg who lives in Chicago is friends with several members of that band and I have been meaning to re-visit their music for some time but forgot all about them.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 09:58
"Pink Floyd aren't prog", because that's an opinion occasionally popping up in the meetings of prog friends.

In general, perhaps the thought that prog songs are always long. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 14:39
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

[/QUOT
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Out of the ones here and I will get hate for it too

"In the court of the Crimson King was the first prog album"
I think this might the only opinion about KC that I agree with you. That statement doesnīt irritate me and I can understand why itīs made. Court still is one of the greatest Crimson albums, also have to remember itīs their first album, there were of course also many other bands that showed their whole potential in their first album, but not many as great way. But still, why just that album is said first prog album? Most of itīs songs still had typical pop song structure (verse, chorus, solo in the middle), also there had been same kind of long improvisation periods in psychedelic albums as there is in Moonchild. Month after Court became Colosseum Valentyne Suite, it has one side long epic that Court doesnīt have, why it isnīt the first prog album? Also, where comes the line between protoprog and prog? Why Court isnīt protoprog-album (if I remember right Valentyne Suite is called protoprogalbum)? Also, when Court is called progalbum, I think easily Moodies Days Of Future and Procol Shine On Brightly could have called, theyīre concept album or include long epic, Court isnīt either. Also Familyīs Music In a Dollīs House is much more concept album than Court, there are those theme variations all over the album, also in songs there are many progstructures.

Anyway if I have to give first progalbum title to some album, I would choose Beatles Sgt. Although most of itīs songs are pop songs, there are songs like Lucy In the Sky, Benefit of Mr. Kite, Within You Without You and specially a Day In Life that breaks out the ordinary popsong structure (I would call a Day In Life one of the first prog epics). But what most important, itīs concept album, and really work as an album, just like album become the prog music unit. And also, that album cover was the style what most progalbums would have too. If Beatles hadnīt made Sgt, I believe prog would have sounded and also looked a lot different.
[/QUOTE]

Clap
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 15:05
Prog died in the late 70's is probably the most annoying since it's objectively not true.

A specific one concerning my tastes is this:
"The music's really technical but it's ruined by the cookie monster vocals."

I totally understand not being into growling, it's a real  acquired taste that even I had to get used to back when they started creeping into metal. But c'mon man, if the Cookie Monster actually sounded like the dude from Gorguts or even Mike Akerfeldt circa 2000, little kids all over the world would be soiling their training undies in unison.Shocked
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 16:14
How about this one or some variation of it: "I thought Yes and Genesis(or you could add Rush or Kansas also) were just rock bands."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>