Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most underrated prog band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 18:51
Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

I will go with Nektar.

Unless I'm talking to progressive rock knowledgeable types, no one has heard of them.

I think Remember the Future is an absolutely brilliant, top-tier prog album.  And, I think Albrighton has a unique guitar style.  

You could say the same about any band who is bubbling just under. Not just Nektar but also Camel and probably even Gentle Giant. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 00:22
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

nowadays ELP 

serious answer though might be Par Lindh Project . The first three albums are all unique symphonic prog albums chock full of superb musicianship and just about everything you could want from the genre. However for some reason they never get the same attention as say Anglagard which is ironic considering that Parl Lindh was the prime mover in creating The Swedish Art Rock Society from which Anglagard came.

Yeah, PLP deserves better. And while the albums are all "symph," they're certainly not cookie cutter. Veni Vidi Vici is significantly different (better?) than Mundus Incompertus. RIP Magda.

Veni Vidi Vici is the true 'classic' in my eyes but those other 2 are certainly not far behind in quality. I briefly met Par Lindh when I bought the Gothic Impressions CD at the 25th ELP Anniversary convention in Birmingham UK (1995). I paid for the album and walked away from table he was sitting at then I heard 'Don't forget the your CD!' I had paid but left the CD on the table. Scatter brained me LOL!
Marcin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 04:51
SBB

Their 'Memento z banalnym tryptykiem' and 'Karlstad live' albums should be well know by all prog fans. Worth checking if you still don't know them.

Edited by Marcin - May 31 2019 at 05:03
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 05:13
So the most underrated progbands are: Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, Yes.... Those are great suggestions but have we forgotten all about Genesis and Pink Floyd? I mean these are bands that should be loved by everyone in the world but not eveyone in the world loves them Cry

AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 07:04
Embryo are most definitely a very underrated band. Their name should be mentioned much more often.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 15:41
I really hate the word underrated.

But some bands I wish were talked about more

Camel

Focus

Kansas

Nektar
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 15:43
And let me throw Spocks Beard in the mix as well!

I think snow is one of the best concept albums, of course snow live is far superior to the studio album

V is also one of my all time favorites
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 05:13
One of my favourite prog bands that doesn't get a lot of love around here is Lifesigns. Their debut is comfortably in my top 10 prog albums.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 12:54
The Red Masque. the only band formed after 2000 that I really like. no-one but Friede and me ever mentions them. singer Lynette Shelley is a member of PA under the name "redvelvetone"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 20:53
In the world of progressive metal, I feel Sieges Even is overlooked. A Sense of Change and The Art Of Navigating By The Stars are great albums--especially the latter. Those albums are certainly better than most of Dream Theater's output after Awake.
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 20:56
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

IMO, Coheed and Cambria is incredibly underrated. I think that their music has lots of great emotion, and their composition is really quite excellent. Their 2003 album In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 especially I feel is an underrated masterpiece, but lots of their other albums, notably the Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV albums and the Afterman albums, are very good as well. I think people don't like them because of all of it is pretty emo, but I don't mind it at all personally. 

For what it's worth, I see them mentioned a lot by younger prog fans. So I don't think they're terribly underrated.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 04:33
Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

IMO, Coheed and Cambria is incredibly underrated. I think that their music has lots of great emotion, and their composition is really quite excellent. Their 2003 album In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 especially I feel is an underrated masterpiece, but lots of their other albums, notably the Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV albums and the Afterman albums, are very good as well. I think people don't like them because of all of it is pretty emo, but I don't mind it at all personally. 

For what it's worth, I see them mentioned a lot by younger prog fans. So I don't think they're terribly underrated.

I only heard 1 album of them (I have forgotten which one), and I was seriously underwhelmed. I even asked myself why they were in the archives at all

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 04:53
Bands that are not mentioned are unrated rather than underrated.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 05:51
I think to be underrated it needs to me a band/artist with quite an extensive discography (say at least four albums) that has gone under the radar or is strangely unloved by potential listeners that are disposed to enjoy the kind of music they got to offer. The earlier mentioned Embryo is a perfect example (I think their fan base is growing though) while King Crimson or Yes isn't. I'd tempted to suggest the brilliant zeuhl-fusion of Zao.

-and perhaps a little on the side of this whole discussion but I'd say the whole british jazz and & jazz-fusion scene and the many great projects initated by Ian Carr, Don Rendell, Michael Garrick, Joe Harriot, Trevor Tomkins (many of those PA-relevant Nucleus being the most famous) and a few more - are unfairly ignored and even more overlooked and underrated than other european jazz-artists.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - June 04 2019 at 06:08
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 06:40
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I think to be underrated it needs to me a band/artist with quite an extensive discography (say at least four albums) that has gone under the radar or is strangely unloved by potential listeners that are disposed to enjoy the kind of music they got to offer. The earlier mentioned Embryo is a perfect example (I think their fan base is growing though) while King Crimson or Yes isn't. I'd tempted to suggest the brilliant zeuhl-fusion of Zao.

-and perhaps a little on the side of this whole discussion but I'd say the whole british jazz and & jazz-fusion scene and the many great projects initated by Ian Carr, Don Rendell, Michael Garrick, Joe Harriot, Trevor Tomkins (many of those PA-relevant Nucleus being the most famous) and a few more - are unfairly ignored and even more overlooked and underrated than other european jazz-artists.

Trevor Tomkins was the excellent drummer on the second album of Gilgamesh, "Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into". His drumming was very jazzy on that album.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 07:04
^Indeed. And that was something like the 35th album he contributed to. If you haven't heard those stunning The Don Rendell / Ian Carr Quintet (with Trevor on drums obviously) late sixties pre-fusion jazz albums such as Dusk Fire, Change Is, Live... and more - they are highly reccomended (just like many of those 70's albums).
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 09:21
Anyone's Daughter also comes to mind!!!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 11:06
Perhaps Guru Guru, the chameleons of rock. Almost every album is in a different style.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 11:08
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Anyone's Daughter also comes to mind!!!

love them, but in the grand scheme of things they did very well for themselves, moving over 120,000 albums of prog at the end of the 1970s and early 1980s.  Nothing to sneeze at, even if they are given somewhat short shrift here on a prog website.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 11:09
on PA, definitely Nightwish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>