Topic ClosedSystem of a Down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 19:37
Originally posted by Don Quito Don Quito wrote:

Originally posted by R_DeNIRO R_DeNIRO wrote:

System of a Down in the site... I hope you are kidding, do you know that Rammstein have keyboards in all they songs, why not include them also in prog related? And we can include Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn... (they covered a Pink Floyd song). Then we can erase of the site Genesis, Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, Camel, King Crimson... and this will be the f**king NuMetal archives. The day this could happen I will leave this web inmediatly.

What will be the next?

Keyboards are not a major concern for categorizing a band as prog or not. But, let me ask you, Isn't prog also described as the use of unusual time signatures, scales, or tunings. Pieces with multiple time signatures???

I didn't know you wanted to include Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Korn on the Archives...

This is the point, only the keyboards doesn't make a band prog, only unusual time signatures, scales or tunings neither. I mentioned limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Korn because are more similar to SOAD that anything prog.

We were always be much human than we whish to be.
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 19:42
Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, and Korn don't have tons of odd time signatures, odd scales, and tons of time changes.  
Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 19:45

I think this Prog Related lable will have a major impact on prog as a whole and I believe it doesn't make sense at all. These label, in my opinon, applies for bands that aren't progressive, but have their influences on prog. The bands that are included on it are progressive for me: Adrian Belew, Peter Gabriel, Saga, Styx, Triumph, Roger Waters, Alan Parsons, Asia, Jon Anderson. And what the hell is Primus doing there???? Sorry, but whoever did it must be on drugs. They are a Jam Rock band that should be a category or label where you can include bands like Phish, Oysterhead and all Les Claypool's projects. Now I understand why the site is deteriorating...

As I said on one of my posts, A band is prog or is not. A band can have their prog influences and hence become progressive like all Neo Progressive bands which had their influences from progressive rock bands, but there is not a single band in the whole world that have their influences from prog and ain't prog... Doesn't make sense...

My last words are that people should be more careful on putting down quotes like this:

In recent years, the most commercially viable category of prog has been progressive metal. These bands are usually happy to be known as progressive, and produce very long pieces and concept albums. Several of the leading bands in the prog-metal genre (particularly Dream Theater) cite pioneer progressive hard-rockers Rush as a prime influence. Meanwhile, other heavy metal bands not generally considered prog-metal, such as System of a Down, have nevertheless incorporated prog-influenced elements like bizarre shifts in time signatures and tempo in their music.

Or else, we will have pissed off/neurotic people like The Protologist or R_DeNiro...

KEEP THE PROMISE YOU MADE
Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 19:49

System of a Down in the site... I hope you are kidding, do you know that Rammstein have keyboards in all they songs, why not include them also in prog related? And we can include Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn... (they covered a Pink Floyd song). Then we can erase of the site Genesis, Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, Camel, King Crimson... and this will be the f**king NuMetal archives. The day this could happen I will leave this web inmediatly.

What will be the next?

Keyboards are not a major concern for categorizing a band as prog or not. But, let me ask you, Isn't prog also described as the use of unusual time signatures, scales, or tunings. Pieces with multiple time signatures???

I didn't know you wanted to include Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Korn on the Archives...

This is the point, only the keyboards doesn't make a band prog, only unusual time signatures, scales or tunings neither. I mentioned limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Korn because are more similar to SOAD that anything prog.

Sorry, but I don't see that in those bands. Still, I try not to waist my time or money listenning to that junk... But I really don't think much complexity in bands like those you have mentioned...

R_DeNIRO View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 19:56
Even called SOAD heavy metal is excessive. They are Nu Metal. Just listen to Chop Suey, for example. Is it prog? Where is the complex structure? When do you see a prog band so, so, so repetitive?
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 19:59

Even called SOAD heavy metal is excessive. They are Nu Metal. Just listen to Chop Suey, for example. Is it prog? Where is the complex structure? When do you see a prog band so, so, so repetitive?

Red was a pretty repetitive track, but no one says anything.

Listen to "Aerials" from that same record.  Not prog, but definitely not nu-metal.
R_DeNIRO View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 19:59

What will be the next?

Sorry, but I don't see that in those bands. Still, I try not to waist my time or money listenning to that junk... But I really don't think much complexity in bands like those you have mentioned...

I donīt waste my time in them too. But in the past I listened to them, fortunatly, my musical taste have an evolution to prog, that's the reason I think it's a shame to include bands like SOAD.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 20:02

I think this Prog Related lable will have a major impact on prog as a whole and I believe it doesn't make sense at all. These label, in my opinon, applies for bands that aren't progressive, but have their influences on prog. The bands that are included on it are progressive for me: Adrian Belew, Peter Gabriel, Saga, Styx, Triumph, Roger Waters, Alan Parsons, Asia, Jon Anderson. And what the hell is Primus doing there???? Sorry, but whoever did it must be on drugs. They are a Jam Rock band that should be a category or label where you can include bands like Phish, Oysterhead and all Les Claypool's projects. Now I understand why the site is deteriorating...

As I said on one of my posts, A band is prog or is not. A band can have their prog influences and hence become progressive like all Neo Progressive bands which had their influences from progressive rock bands, but there is not a single band in the whole world that have their influences from prog and ain't prog... Doesn't make sense...

My last words are that people should be more careful on putting down quotes like this:

In recent years, the most commercially viable category of prog has been progressive metal. These bands are usually happy to be known as progressive, and produce very long pieces and concept albums. Several of the leading bands in the prog-metal genre (particularly Dream Theater) cite pioneer progressive hard-rockers Rush as a prime influence. Meanwhile, other heavy metal bands not generally considered prog-metal, such as System of a Down, have nevertheless incorporated prog-influenced elements like bizarre shifts in time signatures and tempo in their music.

Or else, we will have pissed off/neurotic people like The Protologist or R_DeNiro...

I am not neurotic,I just think a band like SoaD even being thought of for inclusion on this site is ridiculous.

Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 20:48

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Red was a pretty repetitive track, but no one says anything.

Listen to "Aerials" from that same record.  Not prog, but definitely not nu-metal.

Listen to Question! from Mezmerize. Not prog, not sure if its nu-metal, but it fits well under your so called prog related label...

Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 20:55

What will be the next?

I donīt waste my time in them too. But in the past I listened to them, fortunatly, my musical taste have an evolution to prog, that's the reason I think it's a shame to include bands like SOAD.

Yes, my musical taste has evolved to prog either, but your so called "prog related" label still confuses me. Besides, still don't understand what the heck is System of a Down doing on an introduction paragraph on the definition and evolution of prog rock. But still, I do love prog and enjoy non-related prog stuff like System of a Down, and found interesting to know what people say about this. Although, I can tell you the the band has influences from many styles. You should really listen to those samples (Aerials and Question!) and see for your self...

FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 20:56
I can't stand system of a down though I do think they have enough
progressive elements to fit them into some sort of prog genre here.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 20:58
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I am not neurotic,I just think a band like SoaD even being thought of for inclusion on this site is ridiculous.

Yes, I think we got to that point... Nobody is begin for inclusion... It was just a thought since the name of the band is mentioned on the quote, I found it interesting to see what people thinks...

Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 21:01
And to tell more, that quote is stated in one of the pages from the Archives... Isn't it so ironical???
Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 21:16
Alright, I'm going to explain why SOAD can be misinterpretted as prog.

One, they use Eastern instruments because they're Armenian, and care about their heritage and want to bring it over here to an extent.

Two, they use switching time signatures (which is not at all a trademark of prog) because they're influenced by the craziness of Mr. Bungle.

I love SOAD, but damn I'm sick of all this crap.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 21:18

Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

One, they use Eastern instruments because they're Armenian, and care about their heritage and want to bring it over here to an extent.

Two, they use switching time signatures (which is not at all a trademark of prog) because they're influenced by the craziness of Mr. Bungle.

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 21:21
They're "different".

let's just leave it at that and quit bitching.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 21:26

Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

If Mr. Bungle is labeled as RIO/Avant-Prog and SOAD are influenced by their craziness, so you mean that SOAD are still prog related... Curious and still ironical to me...

On the other hand, if keyboards and the use of time signatures are not at all a trademark of prog, then what is the trademark for a band to be classified as prog????

Men, your scientifical explanation still doesn't convinces me...

Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 21:27
Yes, you are right GoldenSpiral... I'm sick of this BS...
GatesOfDelirium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 21:45
Originally posted by Starette Starette wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I agree that they're prog related but OH my GOD they SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to offend anyone- but one tends NOT to like the favourite band of their ex-partner.

Then I pray that your next partner is not a Gentle Giant or King Crimson fan.
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 00:22

Sorry to offend anyone- but one tends NOT to like the favourite band of their ex-partner.

*Sigh*

Women...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>