Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A to Z of Classic German Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A to Z of Classic German Prog
    Posted: August 24 2020 at 18:05
The somewhat derogatory-sounding genre of Krautrock has always been a big favourite Between prog fans here at ProgArchives. Not surprisingly, German musicians tend to reject the term "Krautrock" as being a subjective British phenomenon, although the term is generally used in an affectionate way to describe the German music we love. Bearing in mind what Logan mentioned in his Message below - about no longer being allowed to embed full albums here - I've decided to give this interactive thread a total revamp and change it into a classic German prog blog instead. I'll post a link to each full album (if available) from the list of artists below, as well as featuring a favourite track from every album. I'll also be using the same A-Z format here as my Prog Britannia channels, in Between running my Out of Focus Dutch prog blog, and for fans of Tangerine Dream, I've also included Edgar Froese and Klaus Schulze in the first A-Z list (see below). Also, I just HAD to include Eloy in the list too, after seeing how highly regarded they are here at ProgArchives. This is your Passport to Krautrock Utopia, so feel free to Message me anytime without hesitation if you want to see any other classic German bands included here as I'm always friendly and Agitation FreeSmile

Krautrock A-Z - Part One

Agitation Free
Between
The Cosmic Jokers
Dom
Eloy
Edgar Froese
Guru Guru
Hoelderlin
Ibliss
Jane
Kraan
Lucifer's Friend
Out of Focus
Passport
Quaeschning & Schnauss
Rufus Zuphall
Klaus Schulze
Triumvirat
Utopia 
Virgin's Dream
Wallenstein
Xhol Caravan/Xhol
Yatha Sidhra
Zomby Woof

Here's a handy link to the PA Top 100 Krautrock Albums:- http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=17&top=100

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 20 2023 at 04:09
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 18:18
They're actually Swiss, but what the hey.

BRAINTICKET – Psychonaut (1971)

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 18:23
^ Good Choice! I was thinking Brainticket too. Smile

THE COSMIC JOKERS - The Cosmic Jokers (1974)

There are also four other great albums available by The Cosmic Jokers, all released in the same year of 1974. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 24 2020 at 18:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 23:47
DOM - Edge of Time (1970)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 06:16
I changed the title of this interactive thread from "The A to Z of Krautrock" to the subtly different "An A to Z of Krautrock" because this thread isn't intended to be a definitive A to Z of Krautrock. It's just a bit of fun. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 07:50
Hi,

The letter A has a problem ... I would never consider/vote for Agitation Free over Amon Duul 2.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 10:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The letter A has a problem ... I would never consider/vote for Agitation Free over Amon Duul 2.
You can post an album for Amon Duul 2 when we come back 'round to the letter "A" again, if we ever get that far. Smile
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 10:59
"E" for Embryo, of course.

Great drumming by Christian Burchard. I love the album cover, by the way.

Edited by BaldFriede - August 25 2020 at 11:01

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 11:21
^ I'm glad you came along Friede now we've reached the letter "E" because you're much more familiar with the music of Embryo than I am. I've never heard any of Embryo's albums before, but I'll definitely give "Rocksession" a listen now you've kindly posted it. Thumbs Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 12:06
At one Embryo concert Jean and I were at the band played extremely complicated rhythms, but everybody was dancing to them. You certainly won't find that often.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 12:32
I can't think of any Krautrock bands beginning with "F", so I'll probably need to take a look at the Krautrock Top 100 if no one else comes up with an album first. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 13:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I can't think of any Krautrock bands beginning with "F", so I'll probably need to take a look at the Krautrock Top 100 if no one else comes up with an album first. Smile

A Krautrock band with "F":

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 14:26
^ Ah, of course, Faust! It's so obvious now. Smile

I have a band called Gila lined up for the letter "G", although I just need to check that they're listed as Krautrock. Smile

It's going well so far. I wonder which letter we're going to get stuck on?

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 25 2020 at 14:28
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 16:52
I suggest Guru Guru; they have been around for 50 years and are still alive and kicking. Their leader and only constant member Mani Neumeier will turn 80 on the last day of this year.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 17:59
I wouldn’t exclude the letter X, Xhol Caravan is good and in Pa’s Krautrock category. I like Electrip.

Of course PA’s Krautrock category has an alphabetical list, though I think it might be more fun if people only post albums they already had heard/are in their collection. Though then that sounds like a Just For Fun type of topic.
http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=17

For me there is too much focus at PA on lists and list making rather than ideas.

Anyway, I’ll do H, but we are supposed to avoid linking to full albums, especially discouraged from embedding full albums, samples or a track or two is okay I think, unless that is the whole album. People can always search for the whole album on YouTube if they want to (we especially make exceptions when it comes to suggesting bands).

For H, Hanuman. Here is a track from the self-titled album:

By the way, there are plenty of “Proggers” who are not big on Krautrock. It is one of my very favourite categories.

Edited by Logan - August 25 2020 at 18:07
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 01:44
^ Hi Logan. Are you saying we can't post any more full Krautrock albums on this thread? Confused
By the way, I didn't realise Xhol Caravan were listed here under Krautrock. Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:33
It has been the expectation and request that people avoid posting full album videos (embeds) and significant material from albums (so not many tracks from an album) at the forums generally (not just this topic) without permission/allowance from the artists or labels. I would think that a hyperlink may be preferable (say to bandcamp, spotify or youtube) if wishing to exhibit more than a portion. This is partially out of respect for the artists, not just any risk of complaints, not all of which have approved of people sharing music this way. When it's come to formal evaluation for placement, full album embeds have been more common.

People who want to check out the music probably wouldn't mind clicking on, say, a youtube link anyway. I for one would rather just check out someone's favoured track from an album, and If I like that, then I will listen to more. I don't think that many people bother checking out the music in many of these topics anyway. I wish people did more because I like that kind of interactivity and to hear people's impressions of music. Of course with some albums they can only be found in full (and some albums have but one piece of music).

I guessed with Xhol Caravan that you didn't realise that.

By the way, I know that B was done, and I'm partially thinking of this because of your The Doors topic ("The End" by the Doors) but this is my favourite track off of one of my favourite albums in Krautrock:

Being the longest on the album, it is a big portion of the album.

Edited by Logan - August 26 2020 at 04:23
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 08:25
^ Thanks Logan. In that case, I'll let this thread fade gently into obscurity, and I think you're right about people not generally checking out the albums on these kind of threads anyway, especially considering I haven't even listened to the albums myself yet. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 26 2020 at 13:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 10:42
Bearing in mind what Logan mentioned in his Message above - about no longer being allowed to embed full albums here - I've decided to give this interactive thread a total revamp and change it into a classic German prog blog instead. I'll post a link to each full album (if available) from the list of artists below, as well as featuring a favourite track from every album. I'll also be using the same A-Z format here as my Prog Britannia channels, in Between running my Out of Focus Dutch prog blog, and for fans of Tangerine Dream, I've also included Edgar Froese and Klaus Schulze in the first A-Z list (see below). Also, I just HAD to include Eloy in the list too, after seeing how highly regarded they are here at ProgArchives. This is your Passport to Krautrock Utopia, so feel free to Message me anytime without hesitation if you want to see any other classic German bands included here as I'm always friendly and Agitation FreeSmile

Krautrock A-Z - Part One

Agitation Free
Between
The Cosmic Jokers
Deuter
Eloy
Edgar Froese
Guru Guru
Hoelderlin
Ibliss
Jane
Kraan
Lucifer's Friend
Out of Focus
Passport
Quaeschning & Schnauss
Rufus Zuphall
Klaus Schulze
Tangerine Dream
Utopia 
Virgin's Dream
Wallenstein
Xhol Caravan/Xhol
Yatha Sidhra
Zomby Woof

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 22 2021 at 14:45
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2021 at 13:03
Why don't you just edit your opening post where you say :

"The idea is that we run through the entire alphabet (excluding the letter "X") choosing one Krautrock artist (as defined by ProgArchives) for each letter of the alphabet and then post a TRACK FROM an album by that artist right here."

I was just getting into the thread and members suggestions were really interesting Wink
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>