Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [21.43%]
29 [69.05%]
4 [9.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 11:12
Maybe.   I haven't listened to anything they've done in ages.  But what are they supposed to do - become roof plumbers?

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 11:39
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Its not kansas we are listening to anymore its more a cover band of Kansas , without Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren the heart and soul has gone, what we are left with is predictable songs with shallow meanings. Smile

I don't disagree as far as Livgren and Walsh, but the band does still have two of its founding members, Rich and Phil, and Billy Greer and David Ragsdale aren't newcomers.

Now, a band like Foreigner, with its leader taking a voluntary timeout and sending hired guns out to play the band's music? THAT is a cover band. Thumbs Down
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 13:01
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

No true artist will EVER retire from what they do best!

I guess nobody told Fish that!Wink
Or Bill Bruford

Hi,

I think BB simply got tired of dealing with the wrong kind of people ... the music itself, in all of his work, is just fine and special in its own way and he is a wonderful interview and person to talk to according to the Space Pirate.

Being disillusion-ed with the business and everything else, was probably the reason why he "retired" but as far as I know, he is only retired from playing music ... not doing other things related to drumming and music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 14:19
Who the heck said Fish was retired? He has a new album that was just released today as a matter of fact. If he did announce his retirement he must have done so very recently but I didn't hear it.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 25 2020 at 14:20
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 14:20
Fish announced that a while back that he was retiring and that this would be his final album.

Edited by rushfan4 - September 25 2020 at 14:30
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 14:42
Also, I voted no.  I've really liked their last 3 albums.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 15:31

Hi,

As I said, I'm not a Kansas expert but I've played the album again and it seems perfectly acceptable. It's all down to personal taste but you can't ask a band to retire just because you shelled out dollars for something you don't like (otherwise Yes would have packed up after H&E).

With Fish being Scottish, with this no true artist claim, I'm ever more reminded of the No True Scotsman fallacy.

Scotty MacKilt declares that no Scotsmen would put sugar and fish in his porridge. Derek William Dick declares that he is a Scotsman and he puts sugar and fish in his porridge and drops a haddock and some sugar in his bowl. Scotty screams that no true Scotsman puts sugar and fish in his porridge! A now angry Dick picks up the fish and smacks Steve Rothery in the head with it for having no business being in this example.

If maybe it is time for Kansas to retire, then that is contingent on if Kansas wants to retire or is forced to retire due to circumstances as I see it. Based on my opinion of the music had I heard it, certainly not. I won't say when it's time for the band to retire -- not my call.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Stygian Heresy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stygian Heresy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 19:19
Kansas should continue.  (Every time there's a poll, a message says 'You cannot vote in this poll'.  I don't know why that is.)  Since I can't vote, I'll put it in words, No, they should absolutely not retire.  I find Absence to be even better than preceding Prelude.  In fact, I think Absence is one of their best six or seven CDs, ever.  I enjoy the entire disc.  Sure, the only real strong prog piece is the short instrumental; but as a rock band with many prog tendencies, I love them, and hope they continue to rock on.  I agree with many fans that the first five albums were their strongest -- and the most prog, even with those two or three bluesier numbers, ouch; but as largely different lineup in a different decade, I'm just happy they still compose killer tunes, some rock, some prog.   Kansas remains my favorite band of all time.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 19:35
Despite having registered at this site over a decade ago, you still have Forum Newbie status due to your low post count, and forum newbies don't have the ability to vote in the polls. You have 34 points now, and I think only 40 are needed before you can vote (50 max). It won't take many posts before you earn the coveted second star and the wonderful privileges that come with it.

That restriction was put in place because of some abuse that was going on, and to encourage new members (and older ones such as yourself that rarely post) to join in on the conversations and post your thoughts more.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 21:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Hi,

As I said, I'm not a Kansas expert but I've played the album again and it seems perfectly acceptable. It's all down to personal taste but you can't ask a band to retire just because you shelled out dollars for something you don't like (otherwise Yes would have packed up after H&E).

With Fish being Scottish, with this no true artist claim, I'm ever more reminded of the No True Scotsman fallacy.

Scotty MacKilt declares that no Scotsmen would put sugar and fish in his porridge. Derek William Dick declares that he is a Scotsman and he puts sugar and fish in his porridge and drops a haddock and some sugar in his bowl. Scotty screams that no true Scotsman puts sugar and fish in his porridge! A now angry Dick picks up the fish and smacks Steve Rothery in the head with it for having no business being in this example.

If maybe it is time for Kansas to retire, then that is contingent on if Kansas wants to retire or is forced to retire due to circumstances as I see it. Based on my opinion of the music had I heard it, certainly not. I won't say when it's time for the band to retire -- not my call.
I just wish Fish and Marillion come to their senses and realized they are useless without each other. Let's face the reality and stop pretending Wink

Edited by Enchant X - September 25 2020 at 22:01
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 22:20

Hi,

I just wish Fish and Marillion come to their senses and realized they are useless without each other. Let's face the reality and stop pretending Wink

So cruel...

Keep Hogarth in as a background vocalist, plus additional keyboards and guitar, and as a dancer though (think Stacia with Hawkwind)*. Marillion could call the new album Hog-Fish. It's like a dogfish except instead of barking it squeals.

(j/k)

* a reference many may not get.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 23:02
in the long run these bands make no money on new music---only on touring---Howe has said not new music from Yes---(its a tribute band at this point anyway)--he has no good writing partners in the band anyway---and they make money from tours---I'm not a fan of Kansas but heard some of their last album and it wasn't bad--plus Tom Breslin is a good guy and talented.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 00:15
Tom Breslin's performance on the latest CD is about the only thing I did like Smile
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 00:43
Gee I thought it was a pretty enjoyable recording so I don't agree with your comments at all. And your comments about Fish and Marillion are misinformed. You should listen to Absence of Presence again to at least justify your $42 purchase.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 01:45
To my mind they haven't done anything particularly memorable since 1978. But there's no reason why they shouldn't carry on doing what they do for as long as they want to do it. There are some who dig it, so why not?

Edited by Mascodagama - September 26 2020 at 01:47
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 02:28
The last 2 albums are enjoyable. There is still plenty of life in their music and they are way better than most of what is now still available. Anyway why on earth are we trying to 'retire' any prog bands?!  Lets retire all the useless pop crap that is being put out instead.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 04:01
No
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 04:25
LOL

Hi,

So cruel...

Keep Hogarth in as a background vocalist, plus additional keyboards and guitar, and as a dancer though (think Stacia with Hawkwind)*. Marillion could call the new album Hog-Fish. It's like a dogfish except instead of barking it squeals.

(j/k)

* a reference many may not get.
Clap
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 07:09

Hi,

I'm not sure that is quite fair ... while I tend to prefer FISH's acting style over the other one, the band without him have produced a lot of magnificent material ... quite different in many ways, but their history alone would suggest that a band would not have stuck it out so long without some sort of success ... and Marillion has had that ... maybe not as visible in America's commercial standards!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 07:24

Its not kansas we are listening to anymore its more a cover band of Kansas , without Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren the heart and soul has gone, what we are left with is predictable songs with shallow meanings. Smile

Steve Walsh unfortunately cannot sing anymore.
Livgren was doing some christian rock/AOR at some point, quite bland and uninteresting. 

I liked the new album, quite enjoyable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>