Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rolling Stone Top 500 All Time Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rolling Stone Top 500 All Time Albums
    Posted: December 30 2020 at 12:59
I did not know this list had changed this past Sept, I just went thru the whole list. I have no comments on comparing previous list to this one other than the removal of Sgt Pepper as #1 and a much welcomed new #1, albeit for its political, war protesting theme.

The 500 list is not a huge issue for me, heck we here on PA bitch and moan about the Top 100 PA List LOL. Other than I notice a ton of hip-hop/rap as well not much in the country genre, progressive artists are scattered in the list (not many). 
Very welcomed and surprising to me, happy they are getting some accolades that sadly on this site they don't get much love for their brilliance.........CAN~Ege Bamyasi entered at #454. ClapClap
Yes~CTTE at #445 and Rush~Moving Pictures at #379. Pink Floyd has 3 albums listed.

What caught more of my attention is the list of voters, super heavy to hip-hop/rap artists and many artists that would seem to me not have much of a history of music, but of only say the last 20yrs (or less). Surprised that Rick Wakeman was a voter. The rest of the voters are music industry folk and journalists.

My main issue is that this list is suppose to be "ALL TIME ALBUMS". 

The List

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:23
I Love our PA Top 100 List, mainly because I'm safe in the knowledge that it won't include any Rap/Hip Hop. Smile
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:27
Yea, This list sucked before & it's not much better now.  There is a little more prog there the previous one ( but not much)  & there are a lot of WTF? moments. The top ten alone will have you scratching your head, not to say there are't some good albums there. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:32
To say it's a joke would be insulting to the word joke.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:38
I only looked at the Top 50 and that was pretty awful.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:39
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Yea, This list sucked before & it's not much better now.  There is a little more prog there the previous one ( but not much)  & there are a lot of WTF? moments. The top ten alone will have you scratching your head, not to say there are't some good albums there. 
For sure...not even in the Top 25, DSOtM is a pretty big WTF moment!! An album that spent 950 weeks on Billboard 200 and has sold over 45 million copies world wide.

The list is fine, for sure some of the rankings and the included content may suck, for the most part the albums are great. It's good to understand its not Top Rock, Top Rap, Top Pop Albums, so all genres are included save for I did not notice any Classical music.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:43
Never been a fan of their lists. They are obviously a result of those who create it, their different biases, and the music they actually know about. F.e. in the early versions of the list, the top 10 was almost all about the Beatles. Also, the 500 best by what standards?

Another thing is, they only rarely go beyond music from the English speaking countries, and in the previous version I think there were only 4 out of 500 albums (by Kraftwerk, Björk, ABBA and Manu Chao if I remember correctly). Seems that has changed for the better in the most recent list though. Pitchfork seem to have a broader horizon in that sense as well.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:48
I stopped Rolling Stone after Woodstock. Never found it attractive at all. Way too elitist IMHO. Occasional glances every decade only reaffirmed my dislike. Even worse than the daffy RRHF ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:50
Just as a list of music, I don't have a problem with it. It is a very rare list that would match my favourites well and I would not expect it. I haven't read through the criteria for selection, or selection process, yet, so I can't really judge it and I don't personally care much if Prog is well represented. Most of what I listen to is not Prog -- I'm just here for the swinger lifestyle (now where's my bat?)

Will say in the top 30, my favourite might be the ultra hip The Velvet Underground, 'The Velvet Underground and Nico' It is more English-language oriented than I would like (not a terribly international or diverse selection from what I have seen and I like to see very eclectic lists). Hendrix's Are You Experienced? is another favourite. And I think that Stevie Wonder album is very good. I like the Clash... and in the top 40, David Bowie, 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars' (though I rate Hunky Dory higher)....

Maybe once I've had a chance to read through the selection process and seen more of it my opinion will change, but I rarely care much about such lists. That said, if Art Zoyd isn't represented I might just have to get very angry indeed. ;) I am glad that Can is represented.

Of course it is nice to see music in PA under our Prog umbrella being represented, and that's good for scenes that we support (including new Prog bands).

Rolling Stone is not a magazine that I have followed.

EDIT: I had read your post on the voter make-up. Unless there is some way minimise bias in the results without going to record sales, I don't know how one would go about making a list that is really useful.... Too tired, can't think.

Edited by Logan - December 30 2020 at 14:05
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:51
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Just think how the Country, Classical, Easy Listening people feel. The tone of the list simply shows where the music world is today and for the past 20 years....

Rap and Hip-hop has taken over pretty much. That's the rock worlds problem for not doing a better job at educating the younger crowd about music.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Just think how the Country, Classical, Easy Listening people feel. The tone of the list simply shows where the music world is today and for the past 20 years....

Rap and Hip-hop has taken over pretty much. That's the rock worlds problem for not doing a better job at educating the younger crowd about music.
No.  And it doesn't help that I have no love for rap or hip-hop.  I only know the title song from the Marvin Gaye album.  Is there anything else on there that I would know?  Seems odd that an album would be number 1 for 1 song on it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Just as a list of music, I don't have a problem with it. It is a very rare list that would match my favourites well and I would not expect it. I haven't read through the criteria for selection, or selection process, yet, so I can't really judge it and I don't personally care much if Prog is well represented. Most of what I listen to is not Prog -- I'm just here for the swinger lifestyle (now where's my bat?)

Will say in the top 30, my favourite might be the ultra hip The Velvet Underground, 'The Velvet Underground and Nico' It is more English-language oriented than I would like (not a terribly international or diverse selection from what I have seen and I like to see very eclectic lists). Hendrix's Are You Experienced? is another favourite. And I think that Stevie Wonder album is very good. I like the Clash... and in the top 40, David Bowie, 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars' (though I rate Hunky Dory higher)....

Maybe once I've had a chance to read through the selection process and seen more of it my opinion will change, but I rarely care much about such lists. That said, if Art Zoyd isn't represented I might just have to get very angry indeed. ;) I am glad that Can is represented.

Of course it is nice to see music in PA under our Prog umbrella being represented, and that's good for scenes that we support (including new Prog bands).

Rolling Stone is not a magazine that I have followed.

One would be a fool to think any volume of artists on PA would be on the list, and I too don't care much about that other than I am happy CAN is getting this public love, Kanye did sample 'Sing Swan Song'.

My main interest lies in the voters, that's why I linked that also......They are the ones who voted, created the list, not Rolling Stone. RS may have just promoted it and published it, I don't have much beef with them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:03

No.  And it doesn't help that I have no love for rap or hip-hop.  I only know the title song from the Marvin Gaye album.  Is there anything else on there that I would know?  Seems odd that an album would be number 1 for 1 song on it.

I own the whole What's Going On album, and it's amazing all the way through. Very dark of course due to its topics such as war, racism and pollution. My favourite track may actually be the closer "Inner City Blues":

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:08

I too have zero like of Rap/hiphop, there is some old skool rap I do listen to mainly the original stuff. But all the new gansta, vulgar, demeaning stuff should never be lauded. 
Marvin Gaye's album is brilliant and for the whole thing, not just about one song. A much better #1 than the comical/circus poppy nutjob of Sgt Pepper. They picked an album with relevance to the social/political world we now live in.....I'm fine with that.

What would be interesting is to have the voters picks....In our world, who did Rick Wakeman list in his Top 100 for example?? What was Stewart Copeland's list??

That is more interesting to me... 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:21
^^ I saw your comment on the voters though I hadn't had a chance to look at the link yet. Later on I might have something somewhat intelligent and informed to say. The system would be what interests me most -- and if there's a way to minimise individual bias or maybe people could be arguing for what they know and think is the most significant instead of just voting (the voters could be grilled to defend their choices, and disqualified if they are not seen to present sound arguments supported by relevant data). I'm being silly, never mind, but I would like some kind of discussion process amongst them where there is the expectation to defend the choices well. Will look at the actual process later, but I expect some kind of intellectual rigor in the process. I would prefer a well-seasoned voting panel that are known to be very knowledgeable about music generally, maybe are very well versed in music theory, and are very well-respected amongst their peers (not just for being musicians, but also as music scholars and of course historians). Sorry, I haven't slept in two days, so this is not coming together rationally.

Edited by Logan - December 30 2020 at 14:27
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:28
Looking at the top 50, there are 11 albums I would classify as hiphop. In comparison, there are 26 I would call rock (in one way or another, and including for instance singer/songwriter albums like those by Carole King and Joni Mitchell), 11 albums that are soul or r&b, and then 1 reggae and 1 jazz album. So it is not like hiphop has taken over, it is just that rock music is not necessarily the big normative anymore that it once was. And in all honesty, why should it?

Another thing is, apart from that the list is not very diverse. There are many important album releases in genres other than these, but they are not represented. F.e. there is nothing electronic in the top 50, no folk music, and it it seems like a joke to me to have 1 jazz album.

As for classical music, it wouldn't make much sense to talk about albums because the 'work' here is essentially a musical score, not a recording. There may be many recordings of classical music, but obviously you can't have Beethoven's 5th symphony as one of the "greatest albums". You could in principle have a particular outstanding recording of that symphony, but again, the work definition is different here.

And then that furthermore emphasizes the meaininglessness of these lists.

Edited by The Anders - December 30 2020 at 14:29
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ I saw your comment on the voters though I hadn't had a chance to look at the link yet. Later on I might have something somewhat intelligent and informed to say. The system would be what interests me most -- and if there's a way to minimise individual bias or maybe people could be arguing for what they know and think is the most significant instead of just voting (the voters could be grilled to defend their choices, and disqualified if they are not seen to present sound arguments supported by relevant data). I'm being silly, never mind, but I would like some kind of discussion process amongst them where there is the expectation to defend the choices well. Will look at the actual process later, but I expect some kind of intellectual rigor in the process. I would prefer a well-seasoned voting panel that are known to be very knowledgeable about music generally, maybe are very well versed in music theory, and are very well-respected amongst their peers (not just for being musicians, but also as music scholars and of course historians). Sorry, I haven't slept in two days, so this is not coming together rationally.

Sleep is overrated....think of everything you miss while sleeping!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:31
I Second That Emotion about Marvin Gaye, because I'm just a Soul Man at heart. I have seven Marvin Gaye albums, including What's Going On, and I once bought thirty brand new Soul albums all on the same day from FOPP in Nottingham, but I Heard It Through the Grapevine recently that FOPP have just closed down forever due to the national shutdown. Oh Mercy Mercy Me. Oh, things ain't what they used to be, No no.   Cry

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 30 2020 at 14:33
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:42
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Looking at the top 50, there are 11 albums I would classify as hiphop. In comparison, there are 26 I would call rock (in one way or another, and including for instance singer/songwriter albums like those by Carole King and Joni Mitchell), 11 albums that are soul or r&b, and then 1 reggae and 1 jazz album. So it is not like hiphop has taken over, it is just that rock music is not necessarily the big normative anymore that it once was. And in all honesty, why should it?

Another thing is, apart from that the list is not very diverse. There are many important album releases in genres other than these, but they are not represented. F.e. there is nothing electronic in the top 50, no folk music, and it it seems like a joke to me to have 1 jazz album.

As for classical music, it wouldn't make much sense to talk about albums because the 'work' here is essentially a musical score, not a recording. There may be many recordings of classical music, but obviously you can't have Beethoven's 5th symphony as one of the "greatest albums". You could in principle have a particular outstanding recording of that symphony, but again, the work definition is different here.

And then that furthermore emphasizes the meaininglessness of these lists.
That's my point, rock is not the norm anymore, rap/hip-hop is the norm....but it is what it is, it's the most popular genre of music in most of the world. And I agree, all of these lists have a lot of meaningless worth to them, including PA's, all of them are filled with subjectivism. 
Although I disagree, there should be some representation from the Classical genre. I don't get what you mean a "musical score and not a recording". Beethoven wrote music and other people recorded that music, we don't have anything by him, but that's no different in Michael Jackson recording Thriller that was written by Rod Temperton....maybe I misunderstand your point.

I think RS pushed on the diversity thing overall, I do remember the list in past years getting slammed for being almost all white male performers, very little female artists.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I Second That Emotion about Marvin Gaye, because I'm just a Soul Man at heart. I have seven Marvin Gaye albums, including What's Going On, and I once bought thirty brand new Soul albums all on the same day from FOPP in Nottingham, but I Heard It Through the Grapevine recently that FOPP have just closed down forever due to the national shutdown. Oh Mercy Mercy Me. Oh, things ain't what they used to be, No no.   Cry

Dude, ur killin me LOL Just post what comes from your heart not the record inner sleeve!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>