Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pallas - The Messenger : out now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pallas - The Messenger : out now!
    Posted: December 15 2023 at 09:31

So, there it is: the new Pallas album, The Messenger.

Good old Pallas! At least, I like it (upon first listen)!
On yt it sounds a bit muffled/compressed - the flac download sounds much better! - but it gives an idea... (full album):

Edit: <vid not available anymore>

Edited by suitkees - December 15 2023 at 13:33

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 09:48
Nice! But I can’t listen to it anywhere. Bummer.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 13:32
^ Ah, the yt-vid has been deleted. I guess it was not supposed to be revealed in that way. Patience, thus.
After listening to the first three tracks I decided to buy the CD, which allowed me to also download a digital copy. Sounds really good!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 13:47
The vast majority of releases on bandcamp are free to listen to, so it just annoys me when some artists lock their music away like that. Fine, I respect that, and will ignore the album.(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'83653e7fea274dc4',t:'MTcwMjcxMjA2OS4zOTkwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium; visibility: ;">

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 16 2023 at 00:34
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2023 at 19:04
I'd certainly like to hear it and was looking forward to it but there isn't even an option to buy it on I-Tunes. Appears that you have to go through Bandcamp and that's it. I will likely have to pass.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2023 at 08:34
I am hoping that it eventually gets sold in the US versus only as an import.  Imports tend to be way more expensive.  I've bought a few of them this year, but they always tend to cost twice as must as those sold in the US so I keep those purchases limited.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2023 at 10:35
From what I’ve seen while linking albums (I’ve done more than 10k this year), only a very tiny minority of artists are so stupid. Probably less than 0.1% … I can run the numbers for 2023 from my database. All other albums are available either on Spotify or Bandcamp to listen to.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2023 at 11:27
My personal opinion is that the bands that put their entire albums out to stream for free are the stupid ones.  It is a horrible business model.  Given that you get 1 penny for every thousand plays on Spotify or whatever the ridiculously low payout is.  I believe that Cuneiform Records does this.  You can listen to one or two songs on Bandcamp, but if you want to hear the entire album you have to buy it.  That is a much better business model as far as I am concerned.  

Edited by rushfan4 - December 16 2023 at 11:27
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2023 at 11:52
^ I just think that just as 2- years ago with services like Napster or Audiogalaxy, those who stream an album for “free” are not going to buy it just because it is not available to stream. Putting out some of the tracks can work, but how should I review the album? I will not buy it just to be able to review it. And I will not buy it unless I’ve heard it first. 

IMHO bands should just ignore streams or CD sales as an income stream and focus on live shows and merchandise. From that perspective, Spotify becomes an exposure amplifier. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2023 at 12:03
I think for the most part that bands could care less if you or I review their albums. If they do, they will come to sites like PA or other music sites and ask for people to review their albums.  It is the mags like Prog or Metal Hammer that will reach the most eyes.  I'm sure that people that have online review sites or YouTube pages are probably receiving free copiers for reviewing too.  Otherwise, they would prefer us to buy their albums.  For the last 100 years, bands would release a single or two on the radio and if people liked the songs that they heard they would go out and buy them.  I think that this is the best model for bands.  Allow one or two songs to be listened to on their website or maybe even free downloads or include on sampler or to play on online radio sites.  I think that sites like Napster that were stealing the music should have been sued into oblivion...aka as I think that Metallica did the right thing.  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2023 at 20:59
Yeah but I don't understand why you have to pay £10 for a download copy that is difficult to move onto I Tunes (for instance). I thought about the CD but then you are paying £12 + shipping which takes it up to over £14. Recently I purchased Glass Hammer's Arise on I-Tunes for £7.99 and happy to do so as they have been consistently putting out quality stuff for over 20 years. Pallas have been very sketchy with their output over the years with quite large gaps. Personally I love Dreams Of Men by them but nevertheless they don't quite have the prog clout as IQ or Arena for instance let alone Marillion. Also they've put this out just before Christmas and are touting it as the second coming. Nice artwork though and way better than the aforementioned Dreams Of Men.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 04:38
The reviews on my website are a mix of stuff I have been sent specifically to review from either the artists themselves or from promotion agencies and stuff I buy myself.

In the case of Pallas, I purchased the cd yesterday and got access to the digital download instantly on Bandcamp. The band have not contacted me, but I will probably do a review in a couple of weeks.

I applaud their decision to make the album available as a paid for content only. Good luck to them. The money these acts get from the streaming services is a disgrace, and when you put your heart and soul into producing a work of art, let alone quite a bit of money, then they deserve to have the “going rate” for their product. I simply cannot understand why people think they are entitled to listen for bugger all.

The decision by Pallas to not allow listening on Bandcamp before paying is a relatively rare one, though. Usually, the site gives you three listens then prompts you to pay up with a message to open your wallet. I might get in touch with them for an interview and ask them, but I know what the answer will be and it will be a purely commercial decision. By the way, in response to the comment above re gigs and merch, this is not a commercially viable decision either. Venues are closing down everywhere. Robin Armstrong recently bemoaned the fact that only a 100 punters turned up to a Cosmograf gig, and they are quality. I don’t think he will bother again. Why? I don’t know, but that is a very worrying trend.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 06:11
Whether you wanna share a streamable preview of your album or make it accessible only behind a paywall is up to you.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 15:13
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I simply cannot understand why people think they are entitled to listen for bugger all.

I do not think I am "entitled to listen to the release for free". I just think there should be a way to listen to a band to sample the music, preferably the whole album on a streaming service. Bands are free to do as they please.

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 15:30
it seems there is no reliable way to make money as an artist nowadays, which is why i do it as a hobby, and while of course, it'd be nice to do it full time, a hobby with little to no income is fine with me, though a little bit would be nice, I can see both sides of the argument. It depends on the band I suppose. I have no qualms about releasing music for free or making people pay for it. Giving them the option to pay, but not making them have to is what I've done.
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 15:47
^ I think the problem is that some artists expect to record an album and then be able to live on the income generated by people listening to that recording (either directly by listening via streaming or indirectly by purchasing a copy). That does not work except for a handful of extremely popular artists, simply because there is not enough money and/or listening going on in the world compared to the number of releases we listen to.

I have listened to 250+ releases of 2023 in full. Had I purchased all of them, that would have cost me about $2000. Hypothetically, in a world without streaming services or illegal downloads, The alternative would have been that I purchase a fraction of these releases (say, about 20) and then listen more to those.  

That's the thing: In the old days (say 1980s/90s) we were buying fewer records and listened more to them (a model which Pallas seems to cater to), whereas today we are used to having access to more albums for the same money (My Spotify fees amount to about 10 albums per year). We still listen to the same amount/volume of music, but by more bands.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 15:50
^I agree, 'unrealistic expectations' is a good term for it I suppose. Not to demean artists like Pallas (who I'm sure make fantastic music) but live and learn i guess

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 15:58
^ No, more power to them! I won't buy their album, but I'm sure some people will Smile
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 16:23
BTW if that album turns out to be a commercial flop, the reason will be obvious. xD
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2023 at 16:30
On RYM and AP, it's not very highly rated..., got a low tier C on AP, and a 3.03 on RYM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>