FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe loudest concert ever!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gomurisu View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The loudest concert ever!!
    Posted: March 04 2006 at 04:50
Haven't been on so many conserts yet (for some reason, I'm not a that kind of a concert person...), but Iron Maiden in July last year was a sort of loud experience. The "gunfire" before Where Eagles Dare was something...

By the way, I've always wondered which is "better" for a listener's ears? An open air or a concert hall concert? In my logic, I think it's the open air, 'cause the sound doesn't reflect back from the walls, it expands instead and doesn't hurt your ears that much...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 03:20
The Sweet in Nottingham 1980.I was deaf for 2 days after!
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 13:39
judas priest defenders of the faith '84 tour

Edited by greenback
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 18:29
Originally posted by Fitzcarraldo Fitzcarraldo wrote:

I remember my brother going to see BLACK SABBATH at the Gaumont in Kilburn in 1975 and telling me that it was so loud that plaster started falling from the ceiling!

The loudest for me was probably QUEEN, Dec. 1975 at the Hammersmith Odeon, or VdGG at the Roundhouse in 1976.

I never thought of VDGG as the kind of band to play loud concerts.

marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 21:26
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

Deep Purple back in the 70s.  I didn't have earplugs so I tore up a paper cup and stuck some pieces in my ears!  It was excruciatingly loud and I have no idea how the folks around me could stand it.  More recently I saw Kansas last fall and the drums and bass rattled my teeth but it still wasn't close to Deep Purple's "standing next to a jet engine" effect.

In my earlier post I mentioned the Who holding the Guiness record for the loudest concert. Well, guess who held that record prior to them? You guessed it! So I can imagine you must've been blasted away.
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 17:44

I remember my brother going to see BLACK SABBATH at the Gaumont in Kilburn in 1975 and telling me that it was so loud that plaster started falling from the ceiling!

The loudest for me was probably QUEEN, Dec. 1975 at the Hammersmith Odeon, or VdGG at the Roundhouse in 1976.

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 12:13
Deep Purple back in the 70s.  I didn't have earplugs so I tore up a paper cup and stuck some pieces in my ears!  It was excruciatingly loud and I have no idea how the folks around me could stand it.  More recently I saw Kansas last fall and the drums and bass rattled my teeth but it still wasn't close to Deep Purple's "standing next to a jet engine" effect.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 05:17
Originally posted by krusty krusty wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Hawkwind in 1986 - They were playing a small venue in a town near where I live. They decided to use, what looked like their usual 'big hall' PA system. To date it's the loudest noise of any kind I've ever heard. Some of the high frequencies were agonising, especially those generated by Harvey Bainbridge's farting osscilator machine..

Rush R30 Tour Wembley - The next loudest noise I have ever heard. I went both nights, and the first night we were overlooking the stage from the right. We were sat right in front of the PA cabinets hanging from the celing. It was far too loud, and at times Geddy Lees bass guitar sounded was un-recognisable as a musical instrument

Wembly has a real reputation for crap acoustics. Even with satellite PA stacks dotted around the venue, bands playing there nearly always end up sounding like a canary giving birth to a road drill.

Loudest gig for me is a toss up between The Michael Schenker Group in 1983 and Jeff Beck in '88 (both at the Hammersmith Odeon). My ears rang for days after both gigs.

And to think there was I time where I thought that was a GOOD thing...

I know what you mean about Wembley, but oddly enough AC/DC and The Mission both managed quite good sound despite the awful acoustics. Perhaps they weren't playing on 11, unusual for AC/DC!!

The Hawkwind night was madeall the more terrifying by the fact that their firebreather managed `to set light to the crimbo decorations hanging from the celing!

I was at the Rush R30 Wembley gig for the first night sitting a bit further towards the middle and  I thought the sound was great.
Funny I have been to a few gigs recently where, depending where you sit, the sound can be either awlful, OK or great.
I have been at Earls Court for Muse, Coldplay and the Foo Fighters the latter two of which I thought the sound sucked but other people thought the sound was great
Whereas I thought the sound for Muse was quite good others thought it was crap strange...
Perhaps it's subjective as well...?

I must say I think Earls Court is a very crap venue though

I've sat in just about every section of Wembley arena over the years, and it does make some difference where you sit. The second night of Rush sounded better. I was about half way back, and fairly central to the stage. I think the sound is always worse when you're off to one side.

I hate Earls Court too. I generally hate big venues. I saw Floyd at EC, and I was right at the back. We actually had binnoculars to see the stage. It was awful. Thankfully they were not playing at obscene volume so it didn't sound too awful.

Best venue in London for sound IMO, is Brixton Academy, but it's not really a 'prog' venue..

Hehehe... Yeah I saw floyd there as well doing the Wall, I was in the middle somewhere and it wasn't too bad from what I remember (going back some time now) but totally agree about needing binoculars when your near the back at that place or any large venue
My Mrs is a big Coldplay fan and the only tickets I could get was towards the back somewhere she was well gutted, they looked like ants running around from our position

As you say I much prefer venues like Brixton Academy or the Astoria or even better the 100 club where I have seen Roy Harper the past few years he has appeared there. I can even see the chords he's playing

I saw REM at Hyde Park last year. If it were not for the huge video screens I would not have been able to see the band at all! At Hyde Park they allocate the immediate area at the front of the stage for the 'beautiful people' who pay through the nose to see the band. The rest of the plebs are not allowed past the barrier. I always find the sound is better out doors. One consolation...

I'm sure open air concerts never used to be organised like that!

Big artists like Coldplay & REM should play more nights at small venues, rather than one big corporate event in front of 150,000 people. Rush and Genesis done this on the 'Moving Pictures' tour ( I think) and the Duke tour respectivley, knowing that the sound is better in small venues, and the fans prefer it. REM, in particular are anxious to water down their corporate stadium rock image, and get back to being the college favourites they were in the early 80's. Choosing smaller venues would get them back in touch with their fans.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 19:06

Originally posted by ColonelClaypool ColonelClaypool wrote:

Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour. My ears were ringing for 2-3 days after that.

Nowadays, I almost always wear earplugs whenever I go to a concert (depends a bit on artist and venue of course).

I thought I was the only one who wore earplugs. 

krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 09:25

Hawkwind in 1986 - They were playing a small venue in a town near where I live. They decided to use, what looked like their usual 'big hall' PA system. To date it's the loudest noise of any kind I've ever heard. Some of the high frequencies were agonising, especially those generated by Harvey Bainbridge's farting osscilator machine..

Rush R30 Tour Wembley - The next loudest noise I have ever heard. I went both nights, and the first night we were overlooking the stage from the right. We were sat right in front of the PA cabinets hanging from the celing. It was far too loud, and at times Geddy Lees bass guitar sounded was un-recognisable as a musical instrument

Wembly has a real reputation for crap acoustics. Even with satellite PA stacks dotted around the venue, bands playing there nearly always end up sounding like a canary giving birth to a road drill.

Loudest gig for me is a toss up between The Michael Schenker Group in 1983 and Jeff Beck in '88 (both at the Hammersmith Odeon). My ears rang for days after both gigs.

I know what you mean about Wembley, but oddly enough AC/DC and The Mission both managed quite good sound despite the awful acoustics. Perhaps they weren't playing on 11, unusual for AC/DC!!

The Hawkwind night was madeall the more terrifying by the fact that their firebreather managed `to set light to the crimbo decorations hanging from the celing!

I was at the Rush R30 Wembley gig for the first night sitting a bit further towards the middle and  I thought the sound was great.
Funny I have been to a few gigs recently where, depending where you sit, the sound can be either awlful, OK or great.
I have been at Earls Court for Muse, Coldplay and the Foo Fighters the latter two of which I thought the sound sucked but other people thought the sound was great
Whereas I thought the sound for Muse was quite good others thought it was crap strange...

I've sat in just about every section of Wembley arena over the years, and it does make some difference where you sit. The second night of Rush sounded better. I was about half way back, and fairly central to the stage. I think the sound is always worse when you're off to one side.

I hate Earls Court too. I generally hate big venues. I saw Floyd at EC, and I was right at the back. We actually had binnoculars to see the stage. It was awful. Thankfully they were not playing at obscene volume so it didn't sound too awful.

Best venue in London for sound IMO, is Brixton Academy, but it's not really a 'prog' venue..

Hehehe... Yeah I saw floyd there as well doing the Wall, I was in the middle somewhere and it wasn't too bad from what I remember (going back some time now) but totally agree about needing binoculars when your near the back at that place or any large venue
My Mrs is a big Coldplay fan and the only tickets I could get was towards the back somewhere she was well gutted, they looked like ants running around from our position

As you say I much prefer venues like Brixton Academy or the Astoria or even better the 100 club where I have seen Roy Harper the past few years he has appeared there. I can even see the chords he's playing
Gary the Ghoul View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 15:17
probably The Exploited
that was LOUD
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 09:34

Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour. My ears were ringing for 2-3 days after that.

Nowadays, I almost always wear earplugs whenever I go to a concert (depends a bit on artist and venue of course).
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 04:03

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 19:02

I saw Megadeth at Gigantour, wow talk about being REALLY REALLY LOUD.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 17:16
A friend of mine saw Rush at an outdoor ampitheater I had been to before when I saw Richard Thompson. He was at a perfect volume. My ears didn't ring at all. And this place has great hardwood acoustics. It's built for these type of performances.

But when he saw Rush, he said all the acoustics were just thrown out the window because they were so damn loud that they were just overpowering them. He said they sounded just awful.
krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 13:16

Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 11:36
Led Zeppelin, June 24th, 1980, Hannover. Not only were they way too loud, Page was drugged out or drunk, it was one of the worst gigs I ever saw - and the mighty Zep were my favourite band.

And I think Grave Digger come in on second place.
"We've got to get in to get out"
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 10:57
It's almost paradoxal that Rush, the perfectionists, present their loyal audience such an unbearable volume! I thought we were unlucky in Rotterdam but reading this topic, all over the world Rush played far too loud. And Rush are not the only band, the last years many progrock bands are playing far too loud. I even went a few times to the soundboard crew in order to ask them to lower the volume. Most of the times they look very arrogant, it seems that it is their way to feel powerful and superior  ?! I don't understand because progressive rock is music that needs a decent volume because of the variety and often wide range of instruments!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 10:48

Originally posted by marktheshark marktheshark wrote:

Pretty much all in all, artists tend to overkill on the volume levels. The question is "Do we need to have their music shot in our ears that loud?"

These days with digital technology we can rupture our ears right in our own living rooms now. I'm pretty much to point of not even going to live shows anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old. What say you young'uns?

Simply NO!! I agree with you Mark.

It's good to be able to hear all the intricacies, and dynamics of the music you love. At great volume the top and bottom ends are lost in distortion...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 00:18
Pretty much all in all, artists tend to overkill on the volume levels. The question is "Do we need to have their music shot in our ears that loud?"

These days with digital technology we can rupture our ears right in our own living rooms now. I'm pretty much to point of not even going to live shows anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old. What say you young'uns?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>