Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone a fan of rap
    Posted: June 07 2006 at 13:38
Once a member starts to attack the Moderator then it is time to acknowledge that the thread has run its course.
That's a (w)rap folks!!
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 13:21
Originally posted by wolf0621 wolf0621 wrote:

Has Ivan run out of gas?
I've stopped responding to him, since he he reads way too many things into what I write.

What time is it in Peru (or in Sweden for that matter)?
It's currently 7:20 PM here in Sweden, I would guess Peru is about 7-8 hours earlier, around mid-day.

You know, I could possibly be turned around on this whole topic with some further convincing arguments (but I do draw the line at yodeling, I don't care how many hours per day of practice are involved)!Tongue
If you want to ease your way into getting comfortable with some of the sounds and tropes of the genre, you could do worse than the already recommended Endtroducing... by DJ Shadow. It doesn't contain any rapping, as I recall - or if it does, there's not much of it - and it's often been described as Prog/Hip Hop album. So, that will give you a familiarty with the general nature of the genre, without being overtly unfamiliar.

If that works for you, then try anything by Jean Grae, who by dint of being a smart woman is obviously a bit removed from that male bragging Gangsta Rap that probably is the main exposure most people get to Rap, so you don't have those overtones. Her rhythmic sophistication is pretty much self-evident to anyone who listens closely.

Now, if all that works out...well, then check the two lists posted earlier in the thread.
wolf0621 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 10:19
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Well, Wolf. I don't see why it is that you feel the need to continuously spell it Wrap? It's only marginally less annoying than the ever-popular (c)Rap and doesn't really do anything except note that you don't like it. Imagine someone trying to discuss their lack of appreciation for Progressive Rock and calling it "Frog Rock" throughout. It doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't certain genres  I am disrespectful of - or at least some of the signature acts of those genres (and it's inevitably about me seeing them as pandering to a lowest common denominator, an accusation that certainly fits the bill for most mainstream Rap) - but I still don't see the point of warping their names, unless maybe it's done once for effect when trying to make a particular point.

You mean it's not spelled "w-r-a-p"?Question I stand corrected!Shocked...Actually I thought it was a very good way of denoting my (current) dislike, saves a lot of time you know. Just think how much shorter this whole thread would have been...But much less fun, I admit...Big smile

Has Ivan run out of gas? What time is it in Peru (or in Sweden for that matter)? You know, I could possibly be turned around on this whole topic with some further convincing arguments (but I do draw the line at yodeling, I don't care how many hours per day of practice are involved)!Tongue
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 08:34
Well, Wolf. I don't see why it is that you feel the need to continuously spell it Wrap? It's only marginally less annoying than the ever-popular (c)Rap and doesn't really do anything except note that you don't like it. Imagine someone trying to discuss their lack of appreciation for Progressive Rock and calling it "Frog Rock" throughout. It doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't certain genres  I am disrespectful of - or at least some of the signature acts of those genres (and it's inevitably about me seeing them as pandering to a lowest common denominator, an accusation that certainly fits the bill for most mainstream Rap) - but I still don't see the point of warping their names, unless maybe it's done once for effect when trying to make a particular point.
wolf0621 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 07:41

^Boy, the political correctness in this latest thread is palpable. So let me put all of you at ease. Here's the greatest possible love for the following musical styles (even though I don't like 'em or listen to 'em, but at least some of its practitioners are probably very skilled):

Wrap
Hip Hop
Traditional Swiss Yodeling
Electronic Rumba Music played on Hammond Organ
Tibetan Folk Music
Music of the Mongolian Steppes
Classical Music performed on zither & washboard

"To state that a band "sucks" is one thing to dismiss a whole genre in such terms is quite obviously asinine"...I'm sure Tony R that you meant this in the best possible way (you forgot the emoticon)Wink...

Actually I never said that all of it sucked, just the (very limited) material that I've been exposed to which left me wondering how these acts ever got signed & released...So I'll repeat myself (again) since some folks apparently have to read something repeatedly for it to registerConfused (note use of emoticon here):

"I believe that I also earlier stated that I thought wrap & hip hop sucked, at least the stuff that I've heard...Conceding that I couldn't possibly have heard everything (no one has...I hope) & that there may be some wonderful acts out there, I'm comfortable with my judgement of that particular material"...Note use of phrases "at least the stuff that I've heard", "there may be some wonderful acts" & "that particular material", and nothing such as "all of wrap/hip hop sucks" or the like...Ermm

So if you interpret the above as condemning those entire genres then you're free to do so...In my mind, the stock of those particular musical styles doesn't go through the roof with me based on my personal experience, and doesn't make it very likely for me spending lots of time researching other examples that I might like...Ouch After all, as was stated previously: "differences in taste underpin this whole debate", so when I say that I think what I've heard so far sucks, that's particular to my possibly different musical taste vs yours...Is that too harsh a condemnation of those entire styles of music?Question

Hey, if my initial 20-30 exposures to Jazz had been negative I might've felt the same way about it too, but still wouldn't come out & say that all of Jazz sucks (just the stuff I've heard)...Geek

And finally a warning to all others, in case you plan to voice your displeasure re: any of the above listed musical styles in future threads...Make sure you pay the proper love & respect to these styles even if your personal experience to date was negative...Political correctness & love for all mankind demand it!Embarrassed...Oops, almost forgot:

Can't we all just get along???Heart

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 22:07
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Well, let me just add this; I think anyone who knows a bit about music should be able to respect a lot more music than they actually would want to listen to.

Wise words Clap, hope you apply them also when you talk about such bands like Kansas and even non Prog as Meatloaf and I'm 100% sure there will be no problems.

Iván

Anyone who knows a bit about music also knows about what they DON'T like, and it's fine to not like a band if you have heard them and know why you can't connect with them.  His point is that maybe you could show respect for some hip-hop artists without actually being obligated to listen to them regularly, instead of dismissing them out of hand.

I dont want to be choosing sides in this little catfight, but that's how I feel about that subject...
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 20:09

Well, let me just add this; I think anyone who knows a bit about music should be able to respect a lot more music than they actually would want to listen to.

Wise words Clap, hope you apply them also when you talk about such bands like Kansas and even non Prog as Meatloaf and I'm 100% sure there will be no problems.

Iván

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 19:44

There's a lot of music I can tell certainly has merit, but that grates on my ears or is just not interesting. To keep this vaguely on-topic, I offer up the production work of Timbaland, which I find to be incredibly daring sometimes and usually quite groundbreaking, but I wouldn't actively listen to anything he's produced.

And for all my defending of Rap as a valid genre, it's not something I listen to particularly often. I used to feel pretty much like Iván does back in the 80's, and even thought I would get in on the act, and make me some sweet cash. Seeing as I was a singer, spoke unaccented English, wrote song lyrics regularly, and had access to several recording studios, spitting out a Rap tune or two shouldn't be that difficult. Well, as it turned out, it was a damned sight more difficult than I had thought - and this was even before increase in rhythmic and structural sophistication of underground Rap which happened during the 90's.

I've played the bass in a Blues/Rock combo, sung in Prog and Pop groups, drummed in a Punk band and to this day create music on my keyboard here at home, so I have some sense of what goes into making music, even though I know very little about musical theory. In my experience, rapping well - and do note that I find that most rapping you hear on MTV does not qualify - very difficult indeed.

And to freestyle it - that's just breathtaking to see someone do well. I have an acquaintance who is a rapper in the band Hearin' Aid. He's a good enough rapper, but when you realise that a lot of what he does is almost completely improvised, it's almost unfathomable. When you see him do one take, flub a line and then start over, except now with a completely different lyric...that's impressive.

Again, it's nothing I would listen to, but you have to respect the craft.

Edited by Teaflax - June 06 2006 at 19:46
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 19:18
To state that a band "sucks" is one thing to dismiss a whole genre in such terms is quite obviously asinine.

However,differences in taste underpin this whole debate.That said,I dont want to breath new life into what has becaome a moribund thread...
wolf0621 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 19:08
"To Mr Teaflax I would say that once you start your "argument" by dismissing an artist, a band or genre with a casual "it sucks" then you set the tone for the level of discussion."

I believe that I also earlier stated that I thought wrap & hip hop sucked, at least the stuff that I've heard...Conceding that I couldn't possibly have heard everything (no one has...I hope) & that there may be some wonderful acts out there, I'm comfortable with my judgement of that particular material...Wasn't trying to set any particular tone, just stating my honest opinion, others can disagree & I'll still sleep well tonight...Embarrassed...If given the choice to scour the wrap/hip hop world for listenable tunes vs, say, rock or prog, I believe my choice would be clear as to where I'd concentrate my efforts!Smile
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 19:05
Actually, I'm Swedish/Austrian/American, but I can do a pretty good Scottish brogue and a cartoon version of Irish. I write fairly transatlantically, although I tend to favor American spellings.

But I'm sadly not too surprised that Ivŕn reads all sorts of things into my writing that isn't there, especially after my genuinely offered olive branch was seen as a terrible and manipulative move. So I will simply not address him again, since there's no point to it.

I'm just sorry for his sake that he takes this entire thing so bleedin' seriously.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 18:44
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Ivan,I would say that you must have a very old dictionary,but no doubt you've cited a 2006 version from the UK.

Tony, I'm using the 2006 Merriam Webster online dictionary

I'm not sure that I concede your point about something having two meanings,because I can assure you that bleeder, whilst slightly patronising in this usage, would not be considered offensive to a native English speaker,nor is it reasonable to expect people to double-check every word for innuendo.

Honestly I do it, if something has two meanings I usually avoid it and you know me enough to known that I do.

A classic example from the UK is the use of the word "bugger". I guarantee if I called you a "loveable old bugger" you'd be extremely offended yet the word has become little more than an affectionate and jocular term of address.This interpretation of the word is 100% consistent acroos the whole country.

But not everybody here is Britsh Tony, not even Teaflax, according to his profile he's from Sweden.

BTW Loveable old bugger by the context is being used doesn't sound offensive. LOL

Iván

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 18:25
Ivan,I would say that you must have a very old dictionary,but no doubt you've cited a 2006 version from the UK.
I'm not sure that I concede your point about something having two meanings,because I can assure you that bleeder, whilst slightly patronising in this usage, would not be considered offensive to a native English speaker,nor is it reasonable to expect people to double-check every word for innuendo.
A classic example from the UK is the use of the word "bugger". I guarantee if I called you a "loveable old bugger" you'd be extremely offended yet the word has become little more than an affectionate and jocular term of address.This interpretation of the word is 100% consistent acroos the whole country.

Edited by Tony R - June 06 2006 at 18:26
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 18:12
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Wow,I've just read the WHOLE of this thread,every last word (rumblings from another place) and I am at a loss to see why someone would want this thread closed.There have been arguments but it has never boiled over into that scarcely definable territory named "across the line" .
I think that an argument about taste is pointless.
To Mr Teaflax I would say that once you start your "argument" by dismissing an artist, a band or genre with a casual "it sucks" then you set the tone for the level of discussion.
To Ivan I would say "as above"

Agree with all the above.

Oh and "bleeder" is NOT offensive where I live,it is, as Snow Dog states,a term of endearment.

When a term has two meanings as in this case you must be carefull using them there are terms that are completely normal in Perú but if I used them with a person from Argentina or Chile will be pretty offensive.

If I ak for a "Cajetilla de cigarros" /Pacckage of cigarrettes in Perú) there's no problem, but if I use the same term in Argentina, probably I would be thrown out of the store for calling the owner a whore or the owner a pimp, not sure.

If somebody asks me for the time in Perú and I don't have a watch I would answer "Son las cinco y pico" (It's 5 and a bit more) if I said that to a lady in Chile (And I did it once) I will be probably insulted for using a vulgar reference to a prenis.

If I don't know the British terminology, I check the dictionary, and if the dictionary mentions two offensive meanings (Both offensive), the person that's using them must avoid them, specially after a discussion.

Iván

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 17:55
Wow,I've just read the WHOLE of this thread,every last word (rumblings from another place) and I am at a loss to see why someone would want this thread closed.There have been arguments but it has never boiled over into that scarcely definable territory named "across the line" .
I think that an argument about taste is pointless.
To Mr Teaflax I would say that once you start your "argument" by dismissing an artist, a band or genre with a casual "it sucks" then you set the tone for the level of discussion.
To Ivan I would say "as above"

Oh and "bleeder" is NOT offensive where I live,it is, as Snow Dog states,a term of endearment.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 17:02
Bleeder: 2 British : ROTTER; also : BLOKE

I find it offensive, maybe you just don't know the meaning as you didn't knew what redneck or pork burger means?

Iván

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:59
That guy doesn't half hold a grudge, does he? Good lord... You'd think I'd insulted his mother, or something.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:50
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The bleeder's older'n me. *shock, horror*

How do you feel being offensive? Is that a pleassure for you? Does you feel better or even more smart than you claim you are?

That's the reason why normally nice people ofth9is forum is being rude with you, because you ask for it.

And BTW: The phrase "Your Friend in Prog" was only a vulgar manipulation of your part (As I already knew).  But I won't fall in your game.

Iván

I can't believe I'm doing this but.......

......Ivan, "bleeder" is virtually a term of endearment in UK English, the English that Teafalx has been using.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:42
are you children QUITE done yet?

jiminy cricket! this has gone on long enough... 
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:41

The bleeder's older'n me. *shock, horror*

How do you feel being offensive? Is that a pleassure for you? Does you feel better or even more smart than you claim you are?

That's the reason why normally nice people ofth9is forum is being rude with you, because you ask for it.

And BTW: The phrase "Your Friend in Prog" was only a vulgar manipulation of your part (As I already knew).  But I won't fall in your game.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 06 2006 at 16:43

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>