Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone a fan of rap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 13:29
Well, I did list some of that above, but do definitely start with Endtroducing... by DJ Shadow. Lots of obscure Prog Rock samples hidden deep in there.

Anything off of Coldcut's own label Ninja Tune is a pretty safe bet (especially Jaga Jazzist a Norwegian Jazz/Electronica/Prog mix that's really mind-blowing). Also, most everything on Mo' Wax is pretty adventurous and lower-p progressive.

If you're looking for more Electronica-based stuff that has a progressive vibe, I'd recommend Squarepusher and Amon Tobin as starting points.

If you look into Madlib/Quasimoto/Yesterday's New Quintet, be forwarned that his stuff is all over the place, from fairly regular Hip Hop via Reggae to out-and-out Jazz.

Respected Rap artists in the underground scene are Aesop Rock, MF Doom/Dr Octagon Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Jurassic 5, Prefuse 73, Quannum and Latyrx, but I'm really no expert on that and have only a few such releases.

For historical grounding, some old school acts that moved away from just talking ryhtmically over a drum machine; A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Gang Starr, Eric B and Rakim, Black Sheep and The Pharcyde.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 13:41
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Wow. You perform the mother of all irrelevant subject changes in order to accuse me of changing the subject (which I haven't done even once on this thread; it's always been about your inability to deal with various aspects of reality). That's either a meta statement - in which case, bravo - or breathtakingly hypocritical.

Each time I take one of your statements and prove they are FALSE, you change subject, you maybe woin't notice that, but everybody else notices it.

You'll note - if you go back and read really carefully this time - that I was smart enough to set up a caveat in the Scrubs section; that it would be in an absolute minority even if you did find some. This was also the case, not least since the music refences you mentioned are not even full featured songs - of which almost every episode of Scrubs contains one, and which would be the only musical content really worth discussing, because it is an editorial choice (as in: "we approve of this music") rather than just an aspect of storytelling. They are instead short snippets used for effect in flashbacks or fantasy sequences. So, your argument about the all-pervasive nature of Rap is not in any way vindicated, nor am I proven wrong.

You were smart enough?....You're also modest. Confused

BTW: You said it was absolutely rapless, and in your usually arrogant way you gave a list and clearly stated "There's nothing remotely close to Rap" and again you were WRONG.

Sorry.

Also, you never proved anything about Kansas (in fact, I don't remember you proving even one of your wild statements in anyone's mind but your own). Well, okay, you did prove that they had some songs with less vocals, thus being less terrible by default. It really isn't all that narrow-minded to reject something for having major aspects that are too simplistic, mainstream and commercial, I think you'd have to agree.

Yes, if you call redneck Prog or Pork Burger to an icon and pioneer of ¨Progressive Rock is ok, but if anybody dislikes a genre THAT HAS NO RELATION WITH THIS FORUM IS WRONG Wink

How convinient, almost as convinient as escaping from a thread where everybody was giving solid arguments against your arrogant and xenophobic statements.

But, you know, I really shouldn't argue AOR/Soft Rock or the artistic bankruptcy of most Rock with someone who seriously likes Meat Loaf. That's just too mean, even for me. But, hey, if that's your thing, no wonder you like Kansas.

So again it's wrong to like a band formed by one of the most talenteds piano players and one of the best voices, but it's ok to like an unimaginative an lack of talent and musicality genre as Rap.

At least Kansas has a place here (Want it or not, they are going to stay) and there's people asking to include Steinman and Meatloaf (Something with what I don't agree) but they made quality music, with Rhythm, melody and harmony.

Plus 100% original material.

So, tell me again how someone sells millions without charting, and how all sitcoms are full of Rap. Enlighten me as to why it is not "musically correct" to make music that you don't like? Explain also why you can make such cocksure judgements on music when you seem to know awfully little about how it is actually composed and performed? You did claim not to be psychic, after all.

You said they were rapless, I proved you were wrong, and I don't believe Rap is music, I stand on my believes, it's just a spoken form of poetry with background chords repeated ad nauseam (In many cases stolen from real artists).

Either way, you crack me up, Iván. Don't take it so bloody seriously, but do try to think things through before you blurt them out, and - please - try to accept when you are proven wrong (and before you get all huffy, you cannot prove me wrong on the almighty suckitude of Kansas, nor can I prove you wrong about the suckiness of Rap - these are matters of taste - let's try to stick to facts, shall we?).

Kettle...Pot? So calling Kansas Pork Burger and Redneck Prog is alright, but saying I HATE RAP is wrong?

And which are your facts to call Kansas Pork Burger or Redneck Prog, maybe you hate Rock from USA, already Kansas was in your target and now is Meatloaf.

Iván

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 13:51
You don't even read what I write, Iván.  That is very sad (not to mention rude), as I write a lot and put effort into it, so I'm going to stop now.

Meatlof... That really was the final nail in your credibility coffin. You have proven me wrong on absolutely nothing (except for some minor nitpicking, which is just childish), and have been proven wrong on the overarching and salient facts time and time again.

As for the truly central question that you keep avoiding; If you are out of your teens, I am genuinely sorry to hear that. If not, then I hope that time will bring you wisdom.

Peace,

Your friend in Prog, John.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 14:12
Just check his profile Tea...it ain't hard!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 15:33

You don't even read what I write, Iván.  That is very sad (not to mention rude), as I write a lot and put effort into it, so I'm going to stop now.

Again kettle...pot...You dare to call me rude???

Have you noticed that you made fun of:

1. A member who mentioned Evanescense and you almost made fun of him.
  2. Another member mentioned Wiggenstein and you replied saying: Who is that? Frankenstein's transvestite brother?
  3. You made fun of members who liked Kansas and insulted one of the most respected bands.
  4. You defend Rap with nails and teeth but you attack people who like Meatloaf
  5. Another member replies you and you make fun of a minor grammar mistake

Meatlof... That really was the final nail in your credibility coffin.

Why? Please enlighten me with your almighty wisdom. Listening one of the best voices in Rock and a very talented piano player and composer as Jim Steinman is wrong?

Or do you coinsider it redneck music as in the case of Kansas?

You have proven me wrong on absolutely nothing (except for some minor nitpicking, which is just childish), and have been proven wrong on the overarching and salient facts time and time again.

Gosh, you're stubborn  Beating A Dead Horse you started with the quotes and songlists from a sitcom that you rubbed repeteadly on my face  until you were proved wrong.

As for the truly central question that you keep avoiding; If you are out of your teens, I am genuinely sorry to hear that. If not, then I hope that time will bring you wisdom.

Yes, I'm sorry also, I wish I was in my teens to be younger, Wink but not for other reason.

Have you ever asked yourself why all people replies your posts with hostility? Can't it be that the problem is being cause by yourself or maybe you think this is a complot?

I read peaceful members who always are far from hostility answering you in a rude way, because you're an expert provoking people. You start a topic and when your facts are proved wrong you just jump to another thing.

Peace,

Your friend in Prog, John.

Oh, nice touch to manipulate, I love it, it almost made me Cry

But this is my last reply in this thread, I promissed to avoid it and I will do it.

Iván

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:20
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Ah, right. Well, most profiles tend to be not very filled in, so it didn't occur to me.

The bleeder's older'n me. *shock, horror*

Edited by Teaflax - June 06 2006 at 16:21
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:33

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Ah, right. Well, most profiles tend to be not very filled in, so it didn't occur to me.

But not as old as me.Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:41

How do you feel being offensive? Is that a pleassure for you? Does you feel better or even more smart than you claim you are?

That's the reason why normally nice people ofth9is forum is being rude with you, because you ask for it.

And BTW: The phrase "Your Friend in Prog" was only a vulgar manipulation of your part (As I already knew).  But I won't fall in your game.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 06 2006 at 16:43

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:42
are you children QUITE done yet?

jiminy cricket! this has gone on long enough... 
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:50
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

How do you feel being offensive? Is that a pleassure for you? Does you feel better or even more smart than you claim you are?

That's the reason why normally nice people ofth9is forum is being rude with you, because you ask for it.

And BTW: The phrase "Your Friend in Prog" was only a vulgar manipulation of your part (As I already knew).  But I won't fall in your game.

Iván

I can't believe I'm doing this but.......

......Ivan, "bleeder" is virtually a term of endearment in UK English, the English that Teafalx has been using.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:59
That guy doesn't half hold a grudge, does he? Good lord... You'd think I'd insulted his mother, or something.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 17:02
Bleeder: 2 British : ROTTER; also : BLOKE

I find it offensive, maybe you just don't know the meaning as you didn't knew what redneck or pork burger means?

Iván

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 17:55
Wow,I've just read the WHOLE of this thread,every last word (rumblings from another place) and I am at a loss to see why someone would want this thread closed.There have been arguments but it has never boiled over into that scarcely definable territory named "across the line" .
I think that an argument about taste is pointless.
To Mr Teaflax I would say that once you start your "argument" by dismissing an artist, a band or genre with a casual "it sucks" then you set the tone for the level of discussion.
To Ivan I would say "as above"

Oh and "bleeder" is NOT offensive where I live,it is, as Snow Dog states,a term of endearment.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 18:12
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Wow,I've just read the WHOLE of this thread,every last word (rumblings from another place) and I am at a loss to see why someone would want this thread closed.There have been arguments but it has never boiled over into that scarcely definable territory named "across the line" .
I think that an argument about taste is pointless.
To Mr Teaflax I would say that once you start your "argument" by dismissing an artist, a band or genre with a casual "it sucks" then you set the tone for the level of discussion.
To Ivan I would say "as above"

Agree with all the above.

Oh and "bleeder" is NOT offensive where I live,it is, as Snow Dog states,a term of endearment.

When a term has two meanings as in this case you must be carefull using them there are terms that are completely normal in Perú but if I used them with a person from Argentina or Chile will be pretty offensive.

If I ak for a "Cajetilla de cigarros" /Pacckage of cigarrettes in Perú) there's no problem, but if I use the same term in Argentina, probably I would be thrown out of the store for calling the owner a whore or the owner a pimp, not sure.

If somebody asks me for the time in Perú and I don't have a watch I would answer "Son las cinco y pico" (It's 5 and a bit more) if I said that to a lady in Chile (And I did it once) I will be probably insulted for using a vulgar reference to a prenis.

If I don't know the British terminology, I check the dictionary, and if the dictionary mentions two offensive meanings (Both offensive), the person that's using them must avoid them, specially after a discussion.

Iván

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 18:25
Ivan,I would say that you must have a very old dictionary,but no doubt you've cited a 2006 version from the UK.
I'm not sure that I concede your point about something having two meanings,because I can assure you that bleeder, whilst slightly patronising in this usage, would not be considered offensive to a native English speaker,nor is it reasonable to expect people to double-check every word for innuendo.
A classic example from the UK is the use of the word "bugger". I guarantee if I called you a "loveable old bugger" you'd be extremely offended yet the word has become little more than an affectionate and jocular term of address.This interpretation of the word is 100% consistent acroos the whole country.

Edited by Tony R - June 06 2006 at 18:26
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 18:44
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Ivan,I would say that you must have a very old dictionary,but no doubt you've cited a 2006 version from the UK.

Tony, I'm using the 2006 Merriam Webster online dictionary

I'm not sure that I concede your point about something having two meanings,because I can assure you that bleeder, whilst slightly patronising in this usage, would not be considered offensive to a native English speaker,nor is it reasonable to expect people to double-check every word for innuendo.

Honestly I do it, if something has two meanings I usually avoid it and you know me enough to known that I do.

A classic example from the UK is the use of the word "bugger". I guarantee if I called you a "loveable old bugger" you'd be extremely offended yet the word has become little more than an affectionate and jocular term of address.This interpretation of the word is 100% consistent acroos the whole country.

But not everybody here is Britsh Tony, not even Teaflax, according to his profile he's from Sweden.

BTW Loveable old bugger by the context is being used doesn't sound offensive. LOL

Iván

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 19:05
Actually, I'm Swedish/Austrian/American, but I can do a pretty good Scottish brogue and a cartoon version of Irish. I write fairly transatlantically, although I tend to favor American spellings.

But I'm sadly not too surprised that Ivŕn reads all sorts of things into my writing that isn't there, especially after my genuinely offered olive branch was seen as a terrible and manipulative move. So I will simply not address him again, since there's no point to it.

I'm just sorry for his sake that he takes this entire thing so bleedin' seriously.
wolf0621 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 19:08
"To Mr Teaflax I would say that once you start your "argument" by dismissing an artist, a band or genre with a casual "it sucks" then you set the tone for the level of discussion."

I believe that I also earlier stated that I thought wrap & hip hop sucked, at least the stuff that I've heard...Conceding that I couldn't possibly have heard everything (no one has...I hope) & that there may be some wonderful acts out there, I'm comfortable with my judgement of that particular material...Wasn't trying to set any particular tone, just stating my honest opinion, others can disagree & I'll still sleep well tonight...Embarrassed...If given the choice to scour the wrap/hip hop world for listenable tunes vs, say, rock or prog, I believe my choice would be clear as to where I'd concentrate my efforts!Smile
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 19:18
To state that a band "sucks" is one thing to dismiss a whole genre in such terms is quite obviously asinine.

However,differences in taste underpin this whole debate.That said,I dont want to breath new life into what has becaome a moribund thread...
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 19:44
Well, let me just add this; I think anyone who knows a bit about music should be able to respect a lot more music than they actually would want to listen to.

There's a lot of music I can tell certainly has merit, but that grates on my ears or is just not interesting. To keep this vaguely on-topic, I offer up the production work of Timbaland, which I find to be incredibly daring sometimes and usually quite groundbreaking, but I wouldn't actively listen to anything he's produced.

And for all my defending of Rap as a valid genre, it's not something I listen to particularly often. I used to feel pretty much like Iván does back in the 80's, and even thought I would get in on the act, and make me some sweet cash. Seeing as I was a singer, spoke unaccented English, wrote song lyrics regularly, and had access to several recording studios, spitting out a Rap tune or two shouldn't be that difficult. Well, as it turned out, it was a damned sight more difficult than I had thought - and this was even before increase in rhythmic and structural sophistication of underground Rap which happened during the 90's.

I've played the bass in a Blues/Rock combo, sung in Prog and Pop groups, drummed in a Punk band and to this day create music on my keyboard here at home, so I have some sense of what goes into making music, even though I know very little about musical theory. In my experience, rapping well - and do note that I find that most rapping you hear on MTV does not qualify - very difficult indeed.

And to freestyle it - that's just breathtaking to see someone do well. I have an acquaintance who is a rapper in the band Hearin' Aid. He's a good enough rapper, but when you realise that a lot of what he does is almost completely improvised, it's almost unfathomable. When you see him do one take, flub a line and then start over, except now with a completely different lyric...that's impressive.

Again, it's nothing I would listen to, but you have to respect the craft.

Edited by Teaflax - June 06 2006 at 19:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>