Topic ClosedThe Neo Disconnect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 00:15
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

If the music is good, I don't care what the genre is. I have found a few neo bands that I like.

As have I, I just wish I'd found more. With some of you, it does indeed seem to be an issue of very personal taste rather than something generational or cultural(?)

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 00:34
C'mon, people, don't be intimidated about what you really think-- love neo or not, it's O.K. Just cause someone has a special title here doesn't necessarily mean they have a better view, just a more informed one.

Edited by Atavachron - October 08 2006 at 00:35
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 00:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

C'mon, people, don't be intimidated about what you really think-- love neo or not, it's O.K. Just cause someone has a special title here doesn't necessarily mean they have a better view, just a more informed one.

Very true.Thumbs Up
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 00:43
Indeed, or just not as good a music taste...

*runs away like Josh...*
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 00:54
As prog lovers, we're often caught in our tastes between 'real' rock (Hendix, Zep, Stones) and 'fake' rock (Oldfield, Tomita, Bagsby). Prog, and now neo prog, bridged that gap and opened a whole new middleground. This is, at the end of the day, a good thing and neo prog continues that journey between the musics. And what of a band like Planet X; not neo prog by definition but definately new and definately prog. Liquid T as well, so what about it?

Edited by Atavachron - October 08 2006 at 01:55
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 05:36
Personally, I think its partly a generational thing, especially in the UK.  When popular music hit its lowest ebb in the early 1980's, at a time when Yes were producing 90125, & Genesis Genesis; and we all thought 'prog' had died, Marillion were like a breath of fresh air, swiftly followed by Pendragon, IQ, Pallas & Twelfth Night in what was a peculiarly British scene....

There are nevertheless a lot of mediocre neo-prog bands on the market, which detract from the quality of the movement, which can be superb when its very good.  I've said this before on other threads, but for those wanting to get into neo-prog, here are my top 10 fave bands, and albums from each band....(in no particular order)

IQ: Ever
Jadis: More Than Meets The Eye
Pendragon: The Masquerade Overture
Pallas: Beat The Drum
Iluvatar: Children
Collage: Moonshine
Satellite: Evening Games
Clepsydra: Fears
Arena: Pepper's Ghost
Janison Edge: The Services Of Mary Goode

I hope this is of some help....

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 06:47
Marillion, IQ and Pendragon are very good indeed (though there are some dodgy ones as well).

I'd far sooner listen to them than (say)  King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator or ELP, classic era bands I have never really got into (and now almost certainly never will).

(I have just watched a video of "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" and agree - Hamill is dreadful but the whole track stinks).

Edited by Tony Fisher - October 08 2006 at 07:58
spleenache View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 09:57

Western mind has difficulty understanding without classification. All science has has been based on classification. We simply must classify so that complex things become simpler for us to comprehend. Hence classification is an artifact of the way we are accustomed to think.

Once we classify we need to go deeper and judge participant elements on their merit.

There is no value in broad brush judgment statements such as "style A" or "style B" does not speak to a whole generation.

Nevertheless an amusing thread
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 10:41
Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Marillion, IQ and Pendragon are very good indeed (though there are some dodgy ones as well). I'd far sooner listen to them than (say)  King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator or ELP, classic era bands I have never really got into (and now almost certainly never will).(I have just watched a video of "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" and agree - Hamill is dreadful but the whole track stinks).

Now, I love Marillion and IQ (can't say much for Pendragon), and KC and VDGG. Unlike most fans, "Pawn Hearts" doesn't appeal to me that much. Have you tried "H to He?"

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 10:45
Neo has blissfull moments and has a say in '80s music. Thumbs Up

(uhm...about everything...)
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 10:46
neo prog is a very select and recognizable style that brings some color, freshness and modernity to the old dusty LP's of the 70's. My ELP's LP's are particularly scratched and the sound is damned flat; when ELpowell album arrived, I said: "WOW, if they could have sounded like that in 1973!!" ELPowell is not neo, but the attitude regarding the urge to create modern & bombastic sound gets the album not very far from neo. Neo prog insists on the sonority, the atmosphere, rather than on complexity. When I listen to neo, i feel comfortable, and I abandon myself to the music. neo prog is probably the most emotional subgenre: that's why many women like neo.

neo is not a generational problem:

I am 39, I own about anything classic prog of the 70's, and I can certify I love it, except maybe VDGG, from which by the way I can admit they are very talented and have really good moments. More than that: I prefer symphonic prog rock than neo prog!!   however, I learned to not analyze the neo prog music because it does not work: clepsydra, if you analyze them, have pretty banal time signatures and structure. OK. On the other hand, if you do not analyze and open your emotional side, then clepsydra suddenly becomes the most captivating band! the problem with people who find nothing good in neo prog is that maybe they have their emotional side closed: it's like men who are afraid to fall in love with a sensitive beauty who cannot play chess, read maps, program VCR and fill tax forms. 

Edited by greenback - October 08 2006 at 11:10
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 10:54
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

neo prog is probably the most emotional subgenre:

I probably agree, but this is dangerous ground. Wink

that's why many women like neo.

No comment. Tongue
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 11:29
Neo is the most emotional subgenre? Maybe I've been listening to the wrong neo...

I am 17, and I don't like it simply because I don't like it. I like some new prog (Taal and 65daysofstatic spring to mind), but not neo. I never liked symphonic all that much, which is probably part of it. I was going to say something about it being too imitative, but I found that the most blatant regressive rockers (Wobbler, The Flower Kings, etc.) are in fact classified as Symphonic, so I won't.

greenback, your emotional comment is a very silly one. I don't give a damn about how complex the music is or how hard it is to play; I care about how it affects me and whether it gives me "highs" (I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about--also somewhat vulgarly reffered to as an "eargasm"). I have not found any neo that I like and actually affects me, except I do like the song Script for A Jester's Tear. But not enough to buy the album.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 11:52
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Neo is the most emotional subgenre? Maybe I've been listening to the wrong neo... 

I don't like it simply because I don't like it.

nevertheless there is a reason!
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 12:39
There's some good neo, there's some bad. The good stuff is plenty of fun, and it'd be cool if it replaced mainstream pop - it's very catchy without being annoying.

Is it emotional?

'Emotional' as in 'evoking an emotional response' - depends on the musican and/or the listener (and hate is also an emotionTongue).

'Emotional' as a very awkward synonym of 'multifaceted' - I don't think so...

Edited by Visitor13 - October 08 2006 at 12:47
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 12:47
Yes, there is. I find it somewhat dull, imitative of classic prog, and I can't connect with it. Frankly, I find it insulting that you think that since I do not like your specialty, I must have killed and suppressed my emotions.
I think post-rock, space-rock, and perhaps even progressive electronic are far more atmospheric, and in terms of sheer emotional impact, it's hard to argue with GYBE's crescendos (even though I don't like them because I can't seem to connect with their music) or other post-rock bands.

If we were going psychologically profile someone from the music he liked (which is a foolish thing in itself), I would think that it would be the prog-metal fan who has his "emotional side closed". Not that I think that's true, but it logically follows much more than dislikiing neo-prog.

And I listened to a Clepsydra song. It was pretty boring.
Please stop pretending that your opinions are fact.
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 13:27

the problem with people who find nothing good in neo prog is that maybe they have their emotional side closed: it's like men who are afraid to fall in love with a sensitive beauty who cannot play chess, read maps, program VCR and fill tax forms. 

I tend to agree in main here, I also take on board what you say Ghandi2, I don't think you are being acused of having your emotions closed, but maybe there is a possiblity that some of the emotions have yet to awaken in one so young?
For example, Pendragon's "Not of this World" really is the story of Nick Barrett's divorce, the betrayal, and the promises he made to his son at that time. I know people who simply "did not get" this album 5 years ago, but I have since seen them weep when they head it....... simply, they had not the emotional experience to understand it before, and then later when they had an experience of something similar it became a very powerful album!

I tend to find that the "neo" tag is ridiculous in the amount of music it covers, when I first got into Marillion and Pendragon in the early 80's when no one in the UK knew the term "neo", for me it's only something I have been aware of in the last 4 or 5 years.........there is a LOT of music under the neo umbrella I find frankly rather unpleasant, but there is a lot I adore..... and I simply do not see the similarities between some bands under the neo heading.

I was passionate about certain bands when I was in my teens, so much so I was closed to other types of music and dismissed it out of hand....... now I listen to anything, but I don't listen to genre labels.

P-C

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 13:45
Well I like neo prog and would even put IQ ahead of Genesis and Yes in terms of my own listening pleasure generally.As much as I like Yes their music is too weird and cosmic for me to really relate to a lot of the time it so I only enjoy the musicianship (which of course is remarkably good) while Genesis music goes right over my head at times (I won't pretend to understand The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for instance) .
IQ for me fill a niche creating music that is both emotional and atmospheric.IQ's Ever has long been one of my favourite albums as is Marillion's Seasons End.Neo prog isn't burdened by the necessity to have numerous tempo changes and clever time signatures but concentrates more on human emotions.IQ do this really well especially.Neo also has less reliance on individual virtuosity and more on songwriting.That all said no neo prog band will ever reach the levels that Yes,Genesis and ELP reached at their peak.Just a simple fact but not one that destroys my enjoyment of Neo prog.
Its a shame though for anyone to deprive themself of the great music that has come out from IQ,Arena,Marillion etc and a its a big mistake to write off these bands IMHO. 
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 13:56
i agree about "Ever" absoloutely astounding album, I clearly remember the first time I heard it, (at a Jadis Garden gig!!!) and it blew me away......and still does!
I agree, that a lot of what is termed "neo" seems to be more about writing good songs, and in bands like Pendragon, Marillion, Jadis, and IQ the songwriting can be amazingly good, good solid songs. I think there is some "prog-snobbery" about good songs, but I also think a good song that a person relates to has more longevity than some technical stuff....I read a thread yesterday about "math-prog"......PERLEEEEASE!!!! I am some one who sings in the bath.........I don't do "math"!!!

Long live a good song, even if you want to call it "neo"

P-c

(typing off par due to injury...I am trying to rectify mistakes, but losing the will to!)
Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 15:46
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Marillion, IQ and Pendragon are very good indeed (though there are some dodgy ones as well). I'd far sooner listen to them than (say)  King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator or ELP, classic era bands I have never really got into (and now almost certainly never will).(I have just watched a video of "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" and agree - Hamill is dreadful but the whole track stinks).

Now, I love Marillion and IQ (can't say much for Pendragon), and KC and VDGG. Unlike most fans, "Pawn Hearts" doesn't appeal to me that much. Have you tried "H to He?"

Yep. Didn't like that much either. I love Hugh Banton's organ work and Guy Evans is a fine drummer. It's Hamill I have an issue with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>