Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInappropriate reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 141>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 15:58

There are piles of Radiohead reviews that shouldn't be on here.

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by Eliott Minkovitch @ 7:34:33 AM EST, 2005-01-16

2 stars  —  This kind of stuff should not be on this site, I hope someone will wake up and remove it. Since when did alternative rock become progressive rock? You might as well add Green Day, Chemical Brothers and other techno-crap. And oh, throw in David Bowie too. And why not Oasis or Nirvana?

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by Guilherme Baldin, the GG fanatic @ 11:21:48 AM EST, 2005-01-19

0 stars  —  C´mon guys! You can´t be serious! A band that is all the time on MTV, doing videoclips, or whatever, with a leprechaun as a vocalist, IT´S NOT PROG. Why we should listen to this @#**??? It´s modern, it´s "fashion"! The real prog was made in the 70´s by Gentle Giant, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, and it´s OVER. I´m 14 years old and I really think you oldies and I should stay where we know it´s safe: living in the past. I really hope this message would open your eyes to the truth about prog music. [%*!#] MTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by Prog-O-Saurus @ 11:53:15 AM EST, 2005-01-19

0 stars  —  Like the other reviewer has put it, this is not anywhere close to prog. Where I disagree, is that there are a lot of great modern prog bands, not just the 70's bands, but it's ridiculous and even pathenic to include an alternative MTV-friendly band in here. Even the 14-year old reviewer understands this, so come on you "prog-heads" - wake up and delete this % #&* from here!

RADIOHEAD Ok Computer
Review by bob x @ 12:06:23 PM EST, 2005-01-19

0 stars  —  Ok - I guess my first attempt at this wasn't accepted because I didn't meet the 50 word requirement. With that being said,I would like to just say how much I enjoy the prog archives and how helpful they are by turning me on to many new and good bands.But I am not so sure a band like RADIOHEAD should be included here. Let me repeat my first attempt at a review of this. THIS IS NOT PROGROCK!!!!! How could anyone ,ever want to list this as such? Esp. when the likes of BRIAN ENO and KRAFTWERK have not been included in the archives? Somebody fumbled on this one!

RADIOHEAD Hail to the thief
Review by Progmeister @ 10:30:16 AM EST, 2005-01-20

0 stars  —  I guess the people who put Radiohead on this site must have a sense of humor, judging by all the abuse their albums are taking... I am sure there is going to be more abuse heaped on them in the future. Anyway, back to the album - there is nothing to say about it other than: it's a piece of junk.

RADIOHEAD Hail to the thief
Review by Redhead @ 11:18:17 AM EST, 2005-01-20

0 stars  —  Right you are,this is NOT progmusic,its probably brit pop or somewhere near that, however Radiohead are a good exsample of angry brit pop. Progressive, NO WAY !!! if you need new inspiration to the world of prog, seek elsewhere!! Radiohead doesnt make it!!!

etc.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 17:02
Originally posted by <strong><FONT color=#777777>Guilherme Baldin</FONT></strong> Guilherme Baldin wrote:

The real prog was made in the 70´s by Gentle Giant, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, and it´s OVER.

How can anything be progressive if it's ended?

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 08:15

So that means anything from 1975 should be deleted from the archives, according to Guilherme?

Marillion, the Enid, King Crimson's later works, Mars Volta - none of it real prog, clearly...

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 23:02
Oh how this hurts to suggest deletion of, because it's pro-Radiohead, but in the interests of evenhandedness, this says nothing about the album:

RADIOHEAD - Kid A
Review by brian @ 8:59:57 PM EST, 2005-03-15
4 stars —   The people that slate radiohead have to get their head checked giving them 0 stars, uninspired? whatever. Dream Theater are better are they? Dream Theater great musicians that make cheezy music and make difficult to play for the sake of it. Shut up
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 02:22

Sadly I agree with you. I also agree with what the reviewer is saying - but that doesn't make it a good review.

bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 20:46

I believe the following is a completely inappropriate reveiw:

KING CRIMSon The Great Deceiver: Live 1973 - 1974 BOX SET progressive rock album and reviews KING CRIMSON - The Great Deceiver: Live 1973 - 1974 (BOX SET)
Review by fjunken @ 8:08:32 PM EST, 2005-03-16

0 stars  —   You can't buy a compilitation of this band. If you want to hear them, buy all the albums one by one from the first one to the last one. King Crimson had a lot of different members and did never have the same setting on more than one album at the time.

The Great Deceiver is NOT a compilation album that collects tunes from all of the band's various line-ups and phases, and it not billed as a compilation album; it's a collection of live pieces from one of the Crimson lineups live from the 73-74 tour. To give this album 0 stars based on that one condition is completely unreasonable and frankly a little stupid and shows how little the reviewer understands Crimson and the history of their discography. I recommend deletion of this review.
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 11:20
Re. my earlier post. Maybe the reviewer mistakenly thought "The Great Deceiver" was "21st Century Guide to King Crimson 1: 1969-1974 [BOX SET]" and it was an honest mistake on his part. Not sure.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 13:17
SYMPHONY X - The Odyssey
Review by WickerMan @ 1:10:15 PM EST, 2005-03-19
5 stars —   It`s simply the best album ever made. they are jus genius!!! I'am a musician myself and i just can't understand how someone can have such a big musical mind. I'ts jus't a masterpiece, there's no band ever wha can be compared with symphonyX, the's no band on earth with such talented music as Michael Romeo and company are. Jus't great!!!!!!!!!

--------

What do you guys think of this one? Does it speak to the album at all?

I kinda wonder about the name, too. WickerMan = Straw Man?
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 23:01
PINK FLOYD - The Wall
Review by Darin McConnell @ 9:31:02 PM EST, 2005-03-19
5 stars  —   I don't know why some of these people are bad mouthing Pink Floyd's The Wall. To understand the album you have to have had grown up in the times of WW2 or just listen to the Album alot. Roger Waters and David Gilmour are missunderstood people, the are genious for createing this wonderfull album. So befor you bad mouth Pink Floyd try living in their shoes for a while, you will get it. Plus Wish You Were Here is an Masterpiece so please continue to listen to Pink Floyd

This could have been a lot better. There is no description of the music or the lyrics or the songs. Just that you need to be in David or Roger's shoes in order to understand the album (I might be reading this wrong and getting the wrong vibe).

Edited by Cygnus X-2
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 00:00

I wouldn't mind walking a mile in David or Roger's shoes.

At least I'd be a mile away from them and I would have their shoes

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 00:12

Quote try living in their shoes for a while

I'm not as tall as any of them, but I doubt I can live in their shoes

Iván

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 00:54
Three Mars Volta - Frances The Mute reviews within 6 minutes ... (oddly enough I just got my copy today) ... the middle one does have some merit as a legit review, though ...

MARS VOLTA, THE - Frances The Mute
Review by aenimated @ 12:27:09 AM EST, 2005-03-20
0 stars  —   After hearing so much about these guys, I decided to get one of their albums, what I was treated with was a hour session of the WORST prog-rock has to offer. The singer for the Mars Volta (some stupid name like Omar or Cedric or something), sounds like a girl, if I heard this on the radio without listening to deeply I would think that the vocalist is a girl, but surprise surprise, it's some faggot with an afro. The whole CD manages to crap on about some spanish crap or another, I'm sure all the pseudo-intellectuals are going to rush out, listen to this crap and analyze it's crappy features. Jesus, if only they played more Opeth on the radio instead of this overused trash.
MARS VOLTA, THE Frances The Mute progressive rock album and reviews MARS VOLTA, THE - Frances The Mute
Review by crow011 @ 12:26:13 AM EST, 2005-03-20
2 stars  —   unfortunately, THE MARS VOLTA are one of those few bands who think they are better than they actually are. while their "DE-LOUSED . . ." was a collection of songs arranged around a dubious yet enticing concept/theme, "FRANCES THE MUTE" is a loosely constructed, no-concept-to-be-found-in-this-so-called-concept-album journey into complete and utter musical masturbation. granted, the first track isnt bad, but it can hardly be called a masterpiece. as a previous reveiwer stated, the only reason this album seems so appealing is because the current musical climate is so lacking in truly inspiring concept albums/ progressive albums. the last track is also great, but at 30 minutes, it makes the listened feel as though KING CRIMSON did it better with "lizard", from the album LIZARD. the biggest problem, and this is immediately obvious, is the lack of cohesion. there is no continuity, flow, or cohesion. one stuggles to listen to this entire album, unless one has a penchant for pharmaceuticals (which would be a big no-no in the drug-free world of THE MARS VOLTA). after hearing "DE-LOUSED . . .", it's obvious this band is destined for big things. but perhaps they would be better off taking lessons from bands that have done it better, instead of assuming they know how to pull off a decent prog rock album right off the bat.
MARS VOLTA, THE Frances The Mute progressive rock album and reviews MARS VOLTA, THE - Frances The Mute
Review by Ryan @ 12:21:36 AM EST, 2005-03-20
0 stars  —   Wow... I write this review after just listening to this album for the third time. What a piece of crap. I can't believe I wasted $20 on this piece of crap. Seriously. What the hell. I paid money for a music cd and what do I get, high pitched vocals and some pussy wailing on and on in Spanish. Ignore this crap, go listen to a good band, such as Opeth.

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 01:22

add to that...

MARS VOLTA, THE - Frances The Mute
Review by OPETH @ 1:03:21 AM EST, 2005-03-20

0 stars  —   LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW. LISTEN TO OPETH NOW.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 12:30
Keep the middle of the 3 TMV ones, definitely.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 13:04
The middle of the 3 TMV reviews is good. I think it especially needs to be there because I'm suspecting that a lot of people are just giving the album 5 stars because it's popular and they've just heard it, and have not had time to process what may or may not be wrong with it.

(I have not heard the album myself, but I've been reading the reviews.)
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 13:36

Originally posted by FloydWright FloydWright wrote:

The middle of the 3 TMV reviews is good. I think it especially needs to be there because I'm suspecting that a lot of people are just giving the album 5 stars because it's popular and they've just heard it, and have not had time to process what may or may not be wrong with it.

(I have not heard the album myself, but I've been reading the reviews.)

Im begining to think i should have given it 4 stars, but i stick by everything i said in my review, but it feels unfinished. As long and noodly as it is it doesnt seem to be complete. its still the best album I've heard made 2000 and after, and certainly merits a listen. Is there anyway to change a review if your not a collaborator?

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 17:53
I absolutely love Frances the Mute (less so than their debut (I wasn't going to try spelling it ), but I loved their debut a lot), and they certainly have their own distinct sound. However, the middle review should definitely be kept; it's usually the negative reviews of albums I read (especially in the popular music press or in the "true metal" scene - I know if I see the word "overblown", "pompus" or "pretentious" I'm going to love it )
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 15:53

This one's just a piss take!

Rooibos has written in perfect English on the forum.

No "translation software" would translate "star" as "point of light"!Disapprove

Get rid of it!!!Angry

RUSH Feedback (EP)
Review by Rooibos @ 4:48:05 PM EST, 2004-10-10

2 stars  —  Dees album being faut the makers of lists only.The sounds usually created by instrumentation is of mean worth. An unanointed user of the organ of hearing will not like much this opus.It is not like the Cream or Yardbirds in similarity only.I can the two points of the light give it.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 13:14
I want to state it again for the record: it was very wrong to delete that 2-star review for Francis the Mute. That one was legit, and the guy who wrote it has every right to be pissed at ProgArchives for taking it off.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 15:42
This same review has been posted now under 2 different names.

DREAM THEATER - Scenes From A Memory Metropolis Part II
Review by Stardust @ 2:56:26 PM EST, 2005-03-24
5 stars —   This CD is my Favorite album ever, and i have taken that statement into very deep concideration bofer i wrote it down. and im not just some upstart kid who dosent know anything about the prog genre. ok this is going to be a bit of an inflametory statement, but i prefer this album to The Wall. And piper at the gates of dawn And any of the ELP releases. and anything ever come to that. the storyline of this album is run over in so many reviews, im not gona go over it again. Right, on to the music! The performance on this album is phenominal as per the dream theater habit. I recon its at least cooler playing if not better than on anything theyve ever done before. Fatal tragedy is my personal fave, it took more than a month to learn that solo. Petrucci is an animal of a player.some of the riffery on this record is a blast. Whomever it was who said in their review that Mike Portnoy relies to heavily on his bass drums needs a slap around the face with a wet fish. the only possible criticim of his playing on this album is his possibly over zellous use of THE Mike Portnoy fill ( you know the one its the one at 3:47 in fatal tragedy, check through other dream theater work, it crops up alot, some times in slightly varied forms but still, its the MP Fill, its excusable.) that aside, the winner of modern drummer's reders poll Progressive rock award for 10 years running again proves his worth. Jordan Rudess is patently the most crazy keyboardist DT have had yet. i love the random bit of honkey tonk stylie piano in dance of eternity the first time i heard it i was like 'this is so cool' and then just burst out laghing when i realised it was in the midle of two big chunks of random metaly goodness. and just the way patrucci leads it in with this utterly random arpegio... plus check out some of the points when Rudess and Petrucci are playing the same or harmonised parts, and just take a second to think of the amount of skill it takes to get that timeing down to perfection, there is not a milisecond between them. that boys and girls is perfection. and again, look at fatal tragedy, the blending between the keyboard and guitar solos is virtualy seemless. as with all good things, there will be contradictory views, but i think the guy is a change for the good, he takes a more active part in the band than any of his predecesors. Kevin more was cool, he was beastly in fact and some of the stuff he did totaly made a couple of songs for me, but he didnt solo any good, and the introduction of Jordans solos bring new life into the music and push the instrumentals to a new level, he and Petrucci work togeter excelently. James Labrie, the man of marmite, you either love him or hate him. personaly i think that anyone who dosnt like him is missing the point, he is the most cheesy singer possible, but thats what you ned if youre going to sing in dream theater. I chalange anyone to come up with a better choice for singer of dream theater. think about it, if you had anyone else, someone less 'larger than life' , dream theater wouldnt have half the impact. also, its tough to have the vocal versitility needed for a band so versatile. As always, James' vocals are excelent, the melodys used are nigh on perfect every time. mind you this isnt nessicerily his work, but he pulls off what is writen perfectly and with alot of 'feeling'. And last but by no means least, John Myung. this man is a bass phenominon. him crazy. the bass solo in dance of eternity is mental.plus the bit neat the end where the guitar bass and keyboard all run up this crazy. he can hold the structure together when any lesser bassist would break down in tears and play that thing like no other being on the planet. it stick him up on the sme level as victor wooten, which is prety crazy thats like bass steve vai.... now on to the real astounding aspect ofthe album, the song construction. seriously, go back now and listen over this album again. and again. aind again and again for 50 thousand times and you still will miss stuff. the way this stuff is put together just defys belief. every note, every rest and every space are diliberet, their there to serve the greater perpous of the song. instead of just playing a chord on one instrument, they'll hold it between all of them like puting thre root on the bas the guitar with the octave fifth and seventh and the vocal holding the the top say and the keyboard underpining the whole chord. its crazy. i know this isnt the first time stuff like this has been done, but its the first time its been done on this scale. plus the rhythmic concepts used are just done perfectly, there is no way this album could have been writen better. people bitch about there being to many solos, but thats not the case, the solos dont clog the album up at all, if anything they cary the emotional level forwards. i was just reading back through the other reviews and read someone saying the solos are 'undiciplined. that couldnt be more untrue, they are just perfectly crafted to fit. oh another thing repetedly brought up is the word 'jam' these solos are not 'jams' jams are improvised. there is no way anything this perfect could be improvised. another thing oftern missed is that overture 1928 is a breif tour through the concepts that folow on in the album its like a trailer before the main feature. this is a briliant idea because as you listen through the rest of the album and your like 'ohohohohoh i know that phrase!' it gives the album an excelent sence of coherence. there have been alot of negative reviews of this album lately on ths site, and i think they are mostly un justified. i think personaly that people are leting a sence of tradition, the only thing you truly can not afford to have in the prog genre to cloud their judgment of an excelent album. NOW GO! BUY THIS ALBUM! AND IF YOU ALREADY HAVE IT, GO LISTEN TO IT AGAIN!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 141>