Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pelican, Isis, Neurosis - Prog-Metal or Post-Rock?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPelican, Isis, Neurosis - Prog-Metal or Post-Rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which category is more adequate for the bands that play in this style?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [32.00%]
16 [64.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pelican, Isis, Neurosis - Prog-Metal or Post-Rock?
    Posted: March 30 2007 at 11:41
The music of bands like Pelican, Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna (and also partly Agalloch, Kayo Dot and others to a different degree)and their followers is most usually labelled as 'Post-Metal', which describes their sound, often influenced by bands like Godsflesh, The Melvins on the one hand, and post-rock collectives on the other, quite well, I think. They surely do deserve a place on this site.

Why I posted this thread/poll was to ask your opinion: do you think the sound of these bands is closer to Progressive Metal (in the broad meaning of the word, self-evidently, if we took Prog-Metal in the meaning "Queensryche, Fates Warning and influences bands, this thread wouldn't go in the direction I'd like it to go, so please do not bring this up!) or Post-Rock? Judging by the latest releases of Isis, Pelican and Neurosis, which are the most popular examples, I have come to the conclusion that the genre has considerably more noticeable post-rock tendencies than those common to prog-metal's archetype.

Furthermore, what subgenre do you think Don Caballero fits in the best? I think they are very well in Post-Rock, whereas a member of the team I used to be in thinks they are Prog-Metal.

All opinions are welcome.
sig
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 11:53
I voted for post-rock - I don't really like the term post-metal anyway being that the music it describes seems more of a continuation of punk, sludge and shoegaze, hardly metal in conventional terms and noticably closer to mogwai than to maiden.

I've no idea about don caballero, I had a feeling they were a math/noise rock band lol
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 12:03
^ Sludge is a metal genre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sludge_metal

And of course all the mentioned bands (Pelican, Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna, partly Agalloch, Kayo Dot) are metal bands ... why "disguising" them as Post-Rock when they aren't? Surely not just to make it more obvious that they don't sound like Dream Theater?

Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 12:05
Last two Isis albums, also Neurosis's and Pelican's new direction make me question their relation to the metal genre, moreover, I believe if those albums had not been released, they wouldn't have been considered for addition, therefore, I wouldn't say the connection to heavy metal is so blatantly obvious, as you claim it, Mike.
sig
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 12:07
"Post" means that it developed beyond the boundaries of the genre, but is still influenced by it. It's exactly the previous albums which make the connection so obvious, Ivan.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 12:08
don't get all defensive Mikey, I've seen you do this before ;P besides Trickster said this wasn't about seperating dream theater from post-metal so I didn't mention any orthodox prog names on purpose. I see that you are ignoring the intentions of the thread :P

i'm a doom metal fan so I know a little about my sludge. what I mean is that their metal influence is of tertiary importance to their sound. all the bands listed have very chromatic hardcore riffing and hardly your standard drumming patterns or vocal delivery. bonus points for refuting this without referring to a categorization invented by a journalist for god knows what reason.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 12:35
^ ok, if you want to avoid coined phrases I'd describe these bands as "experimental minimalistic metal". Even a word like "Sludge" shuold be avoided as it doesn't tell you much about how it sounds unless you already know most of the bands.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 12:36
Post-Rock would be a better choice.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 13:21
I cast my vote for keeping them in progessive metal.

I think they are definitely metal, so moving them to post-rock would be misleading.

The only downfall in my argument is that those bands tend to be appreciated more by people who like post-rock, rather than people who like progressive metal.  They sound nothing like the typical prog metal band.  However, moving them to post-rock might open the gates for moving bands like Agalloch to post-rock, which just doesn't make sense at all. 

So, I guess my argument is that the aforementioned bands are something like Progressive Atmospheric Sludge metal, the same way that Agalloch is Progressive Atmospheric Black Metal, and thus they should be kept in metal.

PS: please don't flame me with technicalities about metal subgenres, and who is and is not black metal or sludge metal. Wink
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 13:23
An addition:

an argument could also be made for moving Red Sparowes and Russian Circles from post-rock to prog metal, but I rather like it the way it is divided now.
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 13:28
Yeah, is Red Sparrowers really that different from Isis and Pelican to be in a separate category?
sig
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 13:36
Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

Yeah, is Red Sparrowers really that different from Isis and Pelican to be in a separate category?

while undeniably heavy, I think Red Sparowes lack a prevalent metal influence in their music.  Pelican has a distinct doom-metal-inspired riff style, whereas Red Sparowes have powerful guitar parts without noticeable metal influence.  Isis, while also similar, has much more 'metal' guitar riffs, not to mention the vocals....

So clearly the argument can go either way, but I think Pelican, Isis and Neurosis, while similar in many ways to post-rock bands, should still be distinguished for their metal influence.

Regarding Don Cab, until we come up with something better, they should remain in post-rock.  there are tons of progressive 'math-rock' bands that could fit in under the "experimental" tag that seems to ride along with post-rock.  Personally, I think they fit in more with jazz-rock than anything.
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 14:08
All these discussions are only caused by the rigid category structure of the archives ... it would only take a relatively simple modification of the database to allow bands to be placed in multiple genres (or at least one main genre and a secondary genre). I'm not comfortable with moving these bands out of prog metal, but I don't mind having them listed in post rock ... the best label would IMO be "Post Metal/Rock". And I think this will be confirmed by the results of this poll ... no clear winner.Wink
Inferno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 14:22
Post-rock is not a question of Metal sounding....it's the way the music is constructed and each of these band are Post-rock band but use a hell lot of deep distortions into their riff.

anyway, their all signed on Hydrahead record witch is consider as a post-rock label!
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 14:25
can a band be in multiple genres. They are both.
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 14:29
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

while undeniably heavy, I think Red Sparowes lack a prevalent metal influence in their music.  Pelican has a distinct doom-metal-inspired riff style, whereas Red Sparowes have powerful guitar parts without noticeable metal influence.  Isis, while also similar, has much more 'metal' guitar riffs, not to mention the vocals....

Agreed ... it's mainly the riffs and the vocals which give away the metal past, it's not so much the heavy distortion.
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 15:21

They fit perfectly under Post-Metal, so either the site needs to include that category, or they can fit under progressive metal. Either way, there needs to be "metal".

I find nothing Post-Rock in Isis or Neurosis' early years. Isis and Pelican is steadily getting more and more "post-rockish", but Neurosis only shows slight influence. Red Sparowes I still categorize as post-metal, even though their sound is unmistakebly post-rock influenced. They just seem to have a heavier sound that doesn't befit "rock" as well as "metal".

Edited by lightbulb_son - March 30 2007 at 15:21
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

polyrythmic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 15:44
Having listened to all three bands I'd have to say post rock, these bands share much more in common with the post rock genre rather than progressive metal. They all use repetive building styles much more common for post rock, than say the riffs of progressive metal.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 16:10
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

So clearly the argument can go either way, but I think Pelican, Isis and Neurosis, while similar in many ways to post-rock bands, should still be distinguished for their metal influence.

Thats it.

I tend to see post-metal bands more post-rock than metal in structure, but  their clear metal (sludge, doom, stoner and whatnot) influences is what sets them into the genre. Although I see your point, Ivan.

Edited by chamberry - March 30 2007 at 16:10

Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 16:11
Post-metal. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>