Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 65>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 22:28
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by BirdzzZ on day Flu BirdzzZ on day Flu wrote:

I hope I'm barking up the right tree here when I say that I've never been able to get into Rush and I need help....

Any help???

I know musical specifics help but I'd rather just have someone throw their tastes at me...
I'd recommend giving 2112 a shot.  The title track, anyway.  Side 2 is iffy for me.
Or maybe A Farewell To Kings.

I'd agree with A Farewell to Kings. Good place for any prog fan to start if they're looking into Rush.

It depends on your musical taste.  I would contend that their 80s stuff is probably better than the majority of their 70s material.  If you're into well-crafted, concise songs with clear progressive elements but not over-the-top, start at Permanent Waves and progress forward.  If you're more into big long progressive rock epics with lots of guitar solos and screaming and stuff, start with Hemispheres and then work your way around the 2112-Moving Pictures Period.  If you're more into modern-sounding music and don't mind grunge/alt rock influences, anything from Counterparts-Clockwork Angels would probably be your thing, although Test For Echo isn't quite as good as the rest. 

Straight from the horses mouth.....as usual pretty well spot on for a recomendation.

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 19:52
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

^Very good options.  Though I'm not sure I'd recommend starting with Hemispheres.  I think one needs time to work up to that one.

Well, I mean, if 70s prog is already the type of music you're into, then Hemispheres is as close to the 70s progressive rock sound (if you can define such a thing) as the band ever got.  If you're approaching Rush from the angle of a prog rock fan who's into all the long convoluted epics and stuff, anything before Hemispheres might be a bit hard rock to the taste.
Yes, it is their most "proggy".  I guess I'm just remembering from when I first heard it, before I was really in to prog.  So you could well be right!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 19:29

^Very good options.  Though I'm not sure I'd recommend starting with Hemispheres.  I think one needs time to work up to that one.

Well, I mean, if 70s prog is already the type of music you're into, then Hemispheres is as close to the 70s progressive rock sound (if you can define such a thing) as the band ever got.  If you're approaching Rush from the angle of a prog rock fan who's into all the long convoluted epics and stuff, anything before Hemispheres might be a bit hard rock to the taste.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 19:23
I actually put off listening to Cyguns X-1/Hemispheres for a long time because the title sounded really nerdy and didn't think they had topped 2112. LOL (My dad did, and still does, blast 2112 a lot, so I've been familiar with it for years.) 
Getting into some of their more popular stuff first made me more open to listening to it, though, and well... now Hemispheres is my PA name.Smile

Anyway, yeah. I'd actually recommend checking out their songs that you may already be familiar with like Freewill, Spirit of Radio, Fly By Night, Far Cry, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Time Stand Still, The Big Money etc. (Those are the ones I grew up with on the radio, at any rate. I imagine it would be a different list for people in other countries or provinces.) Hearing those songs on the radio is good, but when you actually choose to listen to them on your own, you'll be surprised at how much more is actually packed into every song, from subtle background vocals to odd but effective drum samples.

Once you know which of the hits you prefer the most, you can probably narrow down which era you prefer and look more into albums from that time period.

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - January 11 2014 at 19:24
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 18:53
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 10:08
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I hope I'm barking up the right tree here when I say that I've never been able to get into Rush and I need help....

Any help???

I know musical specifics help but I'd rather just have someone throw their tastes at me...
I'd recommend giving 2112 a shot.  The title track, anyway.  Side 2 is iffy for me.

I'd agree with A Farewell to Kings. Good place for any prog fan to start if they're looking into Rush.

It depends on your musical taste.  I would contend that their 80s stuff is probably better than the majority of their 70s material.  If you're into well-crafted, concise songs with clear progressive elements but not over-the-top, start at Permanent Waves and progress forward.  If you're more into big long progressive rock epics with lots of guitar solos and screaming and stuff, start with Hemispheres and then work your way around the 2112-Moving Pictures Period.  If you're more into modern-sounding music and don't mind grunge/alt rock influences, anything from Counterparts-Clockwork Angels would probably be your thing, although Test For Echo isn't quite as good as the rest. 

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - January 11 2014 at 10:09
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 09:23
Anything from the first album to Signals is solid.  Power Windows through Roll the Bones is 80s sounding, but still great songs.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 09:18

Any help???

Want to play mafia? Visit here.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 08:51

Any help???

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
BirdzzZ on day Flu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 04:17

Any help???

Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 09:48
^ yes! Headlong Flight blew my mind this morning.

Edited by Crumple - January 10 2014 at 09:49
steve j View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 12:21
Originally posted by Crumple Crumple wrote:

So judging from recent comments it would seem most would rank 2000s Rush as

1. Clockwork Angels
2. Vapor Trails
3. Snakes & Arrows

Or would you flip 1 and 2?

I've only heard Clockwork...which has taken me quite a bit of time to bond with (still trying). The first few spins I found it impenetrable and a bit leaden/wooden/relentlessly thick...almost...sludgy?

People laugh at me for "trying" to like some music...haha...but I know myself...if it clicks right away I usually forget it a month later. If it takes some time...it rewards for a lifetime in some cases. ;)

anyone else like that?

Yes I'm like that it took a good half a dozen spins to get into CA, but mow I love it. What a great album.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 09:40
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Yeah. Clockwork Angels. I think BU2B, THE ANARCHIST and HEADLONG FLIGHT really some up the attitude of the album. It is heavier. Certainly heavier than Counterparts and of course the lousy Test For Echo; in fact, I think maybe ClockWork Angels may be Rush's heaviest album they've ever done.
It's got sludge appeal, although I'm biased cause I come from a metal background anyway.

Sludge on! It's a good album. Didn't care for Vapor Trails or Snakes and Arrows but tracks like FAR CRY and EARTHSHINE absolutely kill!!

Also. I've not heard the remix of Vapor Trails. Can anyone say here, that its extensively better or even all that different from the original? Opinions are welcomed.

I only have the vinyl remix version....INSANE!!!! Quality of music is some of the best, Secret Touch is a beast of a song but now it is even better for me. The new mix brought in a different feel on the song, new sounds are heard compared to the CD I have. It is better and different in areas....but I also am one that did not have too much of a problem with the original mix, it was just a heavy album for me. Maybe audio system plays a part in what you hear on some of these brickwalled albums, dunno. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 08:34
Shut up...and play your guitar.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 07:42
I love Alex Lifeson's playing as a Rock player who often crossed into progressive styles. I like his open chord voicings which supposedly Townshend was a influence on Lifeson's playing in that area. I love his ideas and how they flow through the music. He sort of carries the Rush pieces with a distinctive sound/style that defines the band itself. I always liked Victor which was rather strange and held my attention. I recall a vocalist sounding exactly like Geddy Lee. At first...I thought it was Geddy Lee. I'm going to listen to Victor now. Woopie!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 05:37
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Also. I've not heard the remix of Vapor Trails. Can anyone say here, that its extensively better or even all that different from the original? Opinions are welcomed.

The remix is amazingly better! For my money Vapor Trails is one of the best written of Rush's albums since Subdivisions, but the way it was brickwalled made it essentially unlistenable. Now finally the music can be heard as it was meant to be. I think your mind will change about the album overall if you listen to the remix. (And by the way, if you can track down a vinyl rip, it sounds even better!)

I reckon you probably mean, Signals. wow. Well this sounds very encouraging and I love how so many here on Pa are so pro on Vinyl. I'm a Digital man (like the Rush song) and have been for years, but I have been looking into DAC players with pre-amp capabilities to test through some of my gear.
I'd like to hear a sound that is slightly warmer and less refined. It'll add to the intimacy I am thinking?
Well see. And rush will be at the for front for the test....mind you I won't be testing for echo. Yikes!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 21:45
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Vapor Trails is one of the best written of Rush's albums since Signals

^This is gospel! The remixed "Freeze" is worth the price of admission on the re-release.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 15:06

The remix is amazingly better! For my money Vapor Trails is one of the best written of Rush's albums since Subdivisions, but the way it was brickwalled made it essentially unlistenable. Now finally the music can be heard as it was meant to be. I think your mind will change about the album overall if you listen to the remix. (And by the way, if you can track down a vinyl rip, it sounds even better!)
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 14:51
Yeah. Clockwork Angels. I think BU2B, THE ANARCHIST and HEADLONG FLIGHT really some up the attitude of the album. It is heavier. Certainly heavier than Counterparts and of course the lousy Test For Echo; in fact, I think maybe ClockWork Angels may be Rush's heaviest album they've ever done.
It's got sludge appeal, although I'm biased cause I come from a metal background anyway.

Sludge on! It's a good album. Didn't care for Vapor Trails or Snakes and Arrows but tracks like FAR CRY and EARTHSHINE absolutely kill!!

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 12:00
So it's just me that thinks Clockwork sounds sludgy?  Maybe it's just really heavy.  I don't find much space in the music at all.

Maybe I got a bad copy?  I bought the CD at a used CD place but it was still shrink wrapped.

Edited by Crumple - January 08 2014 at 12:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 65>