Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 65>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 11:55
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

Since posting last I have listened up to and including A Farewell to Kings - only five albums in and I think my elevated opinion of Clockwork Angels might be diminishing a little.  I'm really enjoying this little project.  Tomorrow night I will listen to Hemispheres and Permanent Waves.  I have never been that keen on side one of Hemispheres. I always felt that the music lacked focus and the Apollo / Dionysus dichotomy a little hackneyed.  But, I'm really keen to hear it again now.  The release of Clockwork Angels has really opened my ears to some of the band's earlier albums that I haven't heard for years.

Besides Xanadu, side one of hemispheres is my fav!  

Fwiw, I deamplified and clip fixed cwa on audacity and was able to get some songs up to DR: 12!  So much easier to listen to and enjoy the songs.

The sound issue is not as bad a Vapor Trails, and actually is easy to remedy as you have found.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:58
Just finished listening to all the Rush studio albums in order of release (on the same equaliser settings).  Great to hear these fantastic albums again and clear confirmation for me that Rush are one of the great bands.

In the context of all 20 albums, I feel that 'Clockwork Angels' is one of their better albums and I would put it in fifth or sixth place overall.

Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 19:06
Great Kerrang article

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 10:19

Rush didn't play well with girls:

An excerpt from the article:

He says a scene in the Runaways movie, in which Joan Jett, Lita Ford and co react against negative treatment from another band, is based on the way the prog rock giants behaved towards them.

Fowley tells Legendary Rock Interviews: “Rush had pseudo-intellectual lyrics and very heady stuff that was all HP Lovecraft, and that doesn’t always go over so well in Detroit.

“Add to that the complicated musical interludes and screaming vocals, and it’s not hard to understand the appeal of the Runaways.

“They also weren’t very nice to the girls. If you watch the movie there’s an incident in which the girls rebel against an older bunch of guys they’re on the bill with. That was Rush, and that actually happened, terribly, to them.”

Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 10:42
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Rush didn't play well with girls:

An excerpt from the article:

He says a scene in the Runaways movie, in which Joan Jett, Lita Ford and co react against negative treatment from another band, is based on the way the prog rock giants behaved towards them.

Fowley tells Legendary Rock Interviews: “Rush had pseudo-intellectual lyrics and very heady stuff that was all HP Lovecraft, and that doesn’t always go over so well in Detroit.

“Add to that the complicated musical interludes and screaming vocals, and it’s not hard to understand the appeal of the Runaways.

“They also weren’t very nice to the girls. If you watch the movie there’s an incident in which the girls rebel against an older bunch of guys they’re on the bill with. That was Rush, and that actually happened, terribly, to them.”

There's been some story going around for a while about Rush sitting backstage and laughing at the Runaways during their set, and Joan Jett retaliated by urinating on Rush's equipment.

Apparently Fowley isn't the most credible scource, though (and not much of a music critic; "psuedo-intellectual"?  Come on), so I don't think anyone really knows if this is true.  It wouldn't really surprise me, seeing as the members of Rush were twenty years old and most likely perpetually stoned at the time.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 14:37
I really can't see this happening..
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 19:20

The story has been around for awhile, only due to Rush's new attention this year and so much written about them lately has this come up again.

I read somewhere it was actually Rush stage crew that supposedly did any of this.....The boys I am sure were in their rooms reading or preparing to go onstage since Runaways were opening act.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 08:58
In preparation for next Tuesday's Rush concert I am listening to all of the Rush discography and I must say that as much as I love all of their albums I listened to Presto this morning and it is the first one that has given me the spine tingles while listening to it.  It is probably the nostalgia talking but I absolutely love this most-hated album from them.  It was the first album that they released after I became a fan and it was the first tour that I saw them live on, so I guess it just has that something special feeling for me.  I think that Geddy's voice and bass playing are at their best on this one, and Neil absolutely shines with both his playing and his lyrics, which may very will be the best that he ever wrote (in my opinion of course).  I suppose that I didn't notice Alex as much on this, although his playing is solid. 
As I type this, I am listening to Roll the Bones and I am still having that feeling.  I guess that is why my user name is what it is, as I really love the stuff that even the Rush fans on here seem to hate.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 09:06

In preparation for next Tuesday's Rush concert I am listening to all of the Rush discography and I must say that as much as I love all of their albums I listened to Presto this morning and it is the first one that has given me the spine tingles while listening to it.  It is probably the nostalgia talking but I absolutely love this most-hated album from them.  It was the first album that they released after I became a fan and it was the first tour that I saw them live on, so I guess it just has that something special feeling for me.  I think that Geddy's voice and bass playing are at their best on this one, and Neil absolutely shines with both his playing and his lyrics, which may very will be the best that he ever wrote (in my opinion of course).  I suppose that I didn't notice Alex as much on this, although his playing is solid. 
As I type this, I am listening to Roll the Bones and I am still having that feeling.  I guess that is why my user name is what it is, as I really love the stuff that even the Rush fans on here seem to hate.

It is not so much the songs, albeit some are almost unlistenable, as it is the mix/EQ. It suffers the almost opposite of Vapor Trails, which likewise is a terrible production. The sound of Alex's guitar, especially acoustic, is way too tinny. The album simply is not full.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 09:21
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

It is not so much the songs, albeit some are almost unlistenable, as it is the mix/EQ. It suffers the almost opposite of Vapor Trails, which likewise is a terrible production. The sound of Alex's guitar, especially acoustic, is way too tinny. The album simply is not full.
To me it sound near-perfect.  Maybe that is a benefit of not being a musician, producer of music.  I don't really hear anything wrong with the mix/EQ, but I will honestly admit I am no expert with that stuff.  I never knew that there was anything wrong with Vapor Trails until I started posting here either, and I still don't really get what is wrong with it so...Embarrassed
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 09:22

I got Presto about a week ago and I feel that it is severely underrated. Chain Lightning, The Pass and Available Light are all wonderful songs, and the others are not bad. I got Roll The Bones a few days later and find it pretty unmemorable, but I have only listened to it twice so far, so it may grow on me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 10:44

I never knew that there was anything wrong with Vapor Trails until I started posting here either, and I still don't really get what is wrong with it so...Embarrassed

That's because there is nothing wrong with it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 10:55
Presto was the second Rush CD I ever bought as a new album, Hold Your Fire was the first Rush CD I ever bought.....To this day I think the production is decent, I do agree the volume is a bit low. If I am not mistaken the CD I have is a DDD type, meaning a digital tape recorder used and all mix/edit digital mastering.
At louder volumes it sounds really good.

That being said it is one of my fav Rush albums.....The Pass, Superconductor, Available Light are all fantastic songs, it was the first Rush tour my wife and I saw together as a married couple......Never forget the big bunny 'wabbit in the background during Tom Sawyer.....
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 11:03
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I never knew that there was anything wrong with Vapor Trails until I started posting here either, and I still don't really get what is wrong with it so...Embarrassed

Yep.

Though Presto is a good album, it's just the people that can't get past Cygnus Suites that belittle the album. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 11:08

My CD sounds fine also......its the world of downloaded mp3 files/iTunes that people have issues with. Then these issues get lumped into the standard redbook CD and it spreads.......For some reason people believe what is on the internet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 11:18
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My CD sounds fine also......its the world of downloaded mp3 files/iTunes that people have issues with. Then these issues get lumped into the standard redbook CD and it spreads.......For some reason people believe what is on the internet.

It's not just the format, either; a big part of the whole effect of the album comes from the production being so raw and distored.  I mean, really, can you imagine a crystal-clear production on "Peaceable Kingdom?"  When you have an album that digs as deep into the human soul as Vapor Trails does, you have to be gritty.

Oh, and Presto is my favorite Rush album, too.

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - September 14 2012 at 11:18
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 11:36
^ Ohh I agree about VP, it is one of my favs too.......Not just because of the "return" of Rush, but due to songs like Secret Touch which I love and Earthshine......Both hard and very raw, so yea the album tone fits well.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 11:41
Now listening to Counterparts.  I can remember going out at midnight on the day this album came out so that I could purchase it as soon as it was first available.  I can't remember the exact details at this moment, but the CD Warehouse was having a special Monday midnight sale for the release of the new Pearl Jam album (I think) and another band's album, so when the doors opened everyone beelined to those albums, and I went straight to the Rush rack.  I did pick up the other albums too, but I still thought it was kind of funny.  I can remember throwing it into the car CD and listening to it on the ride home.  Loving every moment of it. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 11:47
^ I watched a youtube vid of  Rush in NH I think, of The Garden.........simply brilliant!! The strings work well and I am really hoping I get Manhattan Project, the strings there sound excellent too.

Scott I expect a full report with pics!!!
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 21:36

The Presto tour was the only time I've seen them live; but it still doesn't make Presto a favorite album of mine.Ouch
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 65>