Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 21:44
An excerpt of an interview with Peter Banks:

-In May '69, King Crimson played their 'Marquee debut' and apparently their show provoked a big impact on Yes. Can you remember that particular show?

It wasn't at The Marquee, it was at the Speakeasy (April, 9th, 1969). I think their first ever gig was at the Speakeasy.

-Yes, thats right.

And I know I was there and Bill (Bruford) was there. I don't think Chris (Squire) was there. And I remember standing at the bar of the Speakeasy, which was a tiny little club, I mean, it was basically a restaurant with a bar and a tiny, tiny stage. Which actually Yes, when the Speakeasy re-opened after they had a fire, I think we went to play at The Speakeasy on the opening night and we actually helped to paint the stage 'cause Roy Flynn was saying: 'Come on, come on' you know, running late and I remember us picking up the paint brush and Jon (Anderson) was going 'We are painting stages' and we had to play later that night.

With Crimson, I met Fripp a few times, he used to come to see Yes at The Marquee. And I didn't know Fripp was a guitar player, I didn't know much about him. He used to come and he was always wearing a cape, like a cloak with a hood, like a monk. And he had little glasses on, like John Lennon, and he was very tense and he always talked to me after the show and we would talk about guitar strings and guitars, all that kind of stuff. And he was quite nice but seemed a little eccentric and I didn't know much about Crimson, but I do knew that we was putting some sort of band together, I didn't know much more about it than that. And they had very secretive rehearsals. I've known Greg (Lake), 'cause he was with a band from Bournemouth called The Gods. Chris (Squire) and I knew Greg. I think that was the very first gig King Crimson ever did, certainly the first night I saw them, and it was absolutely amazing! And I was standing at the bar with a drink and I never touch my drink throughout the whole set, I just stood there in total amazement. Bill (Bruford) was standing next to me, I think, and we just stood there kind of open mouthed and... I think all of us were there. And we just watched them and immediately we were just amazed about how tight they were, and how good they were, and how good the composition was, and how original they sounded, and we just realized immediately... We thought that we were the best band around, and we probably were. We were pretty confident, as far as London bands went, that Yes were the one. We thought that nobody else was better than us. Crimson tore all that apart. I think we actually said that night we needed to rehearse a lot more.

-It was a reality check.

Yes, exactly, and I think we may have cancelled some gigs, I'm not sure about it, but we went into pretty intensive London rehearsals. At that time we were rehearsing at Roy Flynn's basement, at the place he used to live in Putney and we kind of turn it into, not exactly a studio, but we could keep the equipment set up. And we became very critical, we became our worst critics because it really shocked us. You know: 'Why are we not this good?'. And it would cause arguments and we started re-arranging things, writing more stuff and all that kind of thing.

Sounds to me like King Crimson had a pretty big impact on Yes. 

febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 21:44
Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

^ Just following some logic. Have you heard Lizard? If yes, then I dunno how you dare to say that KC is hardly original; if not, go and do it!!

That's a very difficult debateLOL

Of course KC was original, but external influences cannot be dismissed like everybody  else; even the BEATLES at the beginning heard something on the radio from some rock n rollers from the 50s and adapt upon them before finding their own way. everybody has to start from some base.

So i will say everybody is right!    The melloton used on ITCOTCK of course will automatically remind us of the MOODY BLUES who were the pioneers., but KC added their own personality.

Anyway, i always have considered NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN as the grand mother of prog, and a cute one, tooBig%20smile never get tired of itHeart
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 22:02
^ Of course the influencial was also influenced. But Raindance say that King Crimson is "hardly" original. They're in fact original, for better or worse. As you said Febus, King Crimson was influenced by some of those bands, but also incorporated a lot of several and diverses influences from many other bands and mixed them creating an own style. How a band with this charasteristic couldn't be original? You can perfectly dislike them, but you also can reckon that they have an unique style of music, even if you don't like or get them.
The best you can is good enough...
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 05:59
No KC fan posts for ages, need to do something about that!

I just bought The Collectable King Crimson Volume Two, a live double CD comprising the first gig from the Fripp/Belew/Levin/Bruford line-up in Bath in 1981 (when they were still called Discipline) and another gig from Philadephia in 1982. They're great performances, even if the recording quality of the Bath gig is a bit dodgy (and they do drift away from the beat once or twice, but it was their first gig).

My point though: there are so many KC live recordings now that it's overwhelming. There are 76 recordings currently available to download from the DGM website! Does anyone have any favourites they'd recommend?
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 15:24
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

King Crimson are in my permanent top 3 bands of all forever time.  I'm dying to hear something new from them Cry

So am I and sadly Robert has his own timetable and Crimson is nothing to be rushed.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 17:45
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

My point though: there are so many KC live recordings now that it's overwhelming. There are 76 recordings currently available to download from the DGM website! Does anyone have any favourites they'd recommend?

that is great they have done that... sort of surprised other groups haven't followed their lead. Especially with the official 'bootlegs' Magma has to a lesser extent.. and those are frickin incredible.  Imagine how people would go goo-goo ga-ga over a wealth of Genesis or Yes live material like that.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 04:48
hey lets petition them to have a special KC remix project, make that a dbl cd of remixes by selected relevant artistes and fans of KC's work.........can invite ppl like Tortoise, Steve Wilson, Helge Sten/Deathprod, Mogwai, Autechre, Merzbow, etc etc etc to have a go!!!

SACRILEGE!!!! but thats the title of Can's remix album too hehehe.............
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 15:41
Just put on The Power To Believe for the first time, not knowing what to expect, since I've got nothing after Beat.

'By giving me back the power to believe...'
Boom

An opening explosion worthy of Fly On A Windshield or Schizoid Man. 'Classic' Crimson. I love it so far.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2014 at 14:33
I feel like Indiana Jones discovering the Temple of Doom.  I know that the whole forum is basically a King Crimson appreciation thread, but seems a shame that one of the top PA prog bands doesn't have its active appreciation thread alive and kickin'.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2014 at 23:16
^ Love that pic.......my son in law sent me a copy about a year ago when he saw it online somewhere.

That is somewhat surprising that KC doesn't have a more active thread .....
yet the Flower Kings thread is still going strong.

Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - March 15 2014 at 23:18
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 07:56
Wow, this thread actually went dormant in 2008.  I got hooked in the late '70's.  Saw them live for the first time on the Discipline tour.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 00:16
They be good and stuff.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 00:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ Love that pic.......my son in law sent me a copy about a year ago when he saw it online somewhere.

That is somewhat surprising that KC doesn't have a more active thread .....
yet the Flower Kings thread is still going strong.

Wink

Their activity is in polls and lists.

TFK rarely have either. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 05:09
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Just put on The Power To Believe for the first time, not knowing what to expect, since I've got nothing after Beat.'By giving me back the power to believe...'BoomAn opening explosion worthy of Fly On A Windshield or Schizoid Man. 'Classic' Crimson. I love it so far.

I love The Power to Believe.

It took me ages to get into KC, but I've not looked back. These days I would rank them up there with Genesis as y favourite band. They are truly remarkable in all of their manifestations, and they've not done a weak album imo. Very few bands can boast that!

King Crimson have a dark side that appeals to me after years of listening to 'nice' prog.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 14:45
Is there a reason that Adrian Belew isn't part of Robert Fripp's new manifestation of King Crimson? 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 16:42
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Is there a reason that Adrian Belew isn't part of Robert Fripp's new manifestation of King Crimson? 
What manifestation is that...? The one that did Scarcity of Miracles or does he have a new touring band..?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 19:12
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

What manifestation is that...? The one that did Scarcity of Miracles or does he have a new touring band..?

The Scarcity Of Miracles band wasn't King Crimson, it was a Projekct.

I'm assuming that the new line-u that is touring is without Belew because Fripp wants to play older material & doesn't believe Belew suits that material as well as Jakko.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 04:37
Right now I'm enjoying Thrak so much. One of their best imo.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 17:36
I honestly thought their second album was more of a carbine copy of their first with the exception of "Cat Food", but I still enjoyed the music nonetheless. Other than that I just love how they (Fripp especially) really never stuck with the same sound and tried new things with each album. Successfully I might add.
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 20:59
Originally posted by ebil0505 ebil0505 wrote:

I honestly thought their second album was more of a carbine copy of their first with the exception of "Cat Food", but I still enjoyed the music nonetheless. Other than that I just love how they (Fripp especially) really never stuck with the same sound and tried new things with each album. Successfully I might add.

Yeah, I also find the second album to be repeating the formula of the first in most ways. But that isn't really what bothers me, what bothers me is that none of the songs is nearly as great as the ones on the first album, except perhaps the title song ("In the Wake of Poseidon"), which I still don't like as much as "Epitaph" or "The Court of the Crimson King", but I really love that song anyway. About how much has been said about Fripp never repeating his sound, I'm not sure I completley agree. Songs like "21st Century Schizoid Man" were used very often by him in later releases, and songs such as "Larks Toungues in Aspic 2" (and "Sailor's Tale" before it") even more so, even up to the last album he has used very similar songs. Some times with better success than others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>