2 [2.53%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 17:18
^lol it wasn't hard to guess what the nature of your post would be, when I noticed the title. Is this the official "Peter" shtick? ;P

edit: oops, new page. referring to Mr. Rideout's usual crusade against strong feeling ;P

Edited by laplace - August 29 2007 at 17:19
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 17:32
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

I don't know what could be worst than WHO DUNNITEvil%20Smile 

LOL agree!!!

http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 17:33
^^(page up) I'm with Peter on this one... sorry folks, but the title of this thread makes me want to press clear form rather than Post Reply...
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 17:39
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

^lol it wasn't hard to guess what the nature of your post would be, when I noticed the title. Is this the official "Peter" shtick? ;P

edit: oops, new page. referring to Mr. Rideout's usual crusade against strong feeling ;P

No, I like strong feelings -- they're a sign of life and real consciousness. I'd just like to see more POSITIVE ones voiced here more often. There's already more than enough hate in the world. Nice melodic songs about love don't deserve hate -- evil and inhumanity do.

A typical overreaction on my part, to the typical gloomy cynicism of youth? Almost certainly -- I always was a sensitive soul. (I  get teary-eyed at the most awkward things. Poems. Lyrics. A beautiful violin solo. A simple, noble act of humanity or charity.)

Maybe my "biorhythms" are just down.... I know I feel more than a bit tired and stressed today, especially at this busy time of the school year.

Sorry if it doesn't apply. Hug

Life is short -- death awaits us all. It's hard to live, sometimes. Hugs, compassion, smiles and a nice melody to whistle on the walk toward the graveyard....

Look, a flower between the headstones...

A flower? Wink

Edited by Peter - August 29 2007 at 18:49
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 17:56
I don't particularly care for latter day Genesis, but I don't really dislike the either. They had a winning brand of AOR that was not bad for 80s chart material, just as long as you didn't confuse it with the classic prog band of the 70s.
The Genesis songs which irritate me are those which clog up the early albums, namely:

The Battle Of Epping Forest - musically clumsy and lyrically slightly less convincing than a Guy Ritchie gangster film. The 'reverend' interlude is rather nicely done, though.

Get 'em out by Friday - admirable sentiment, some decent musical passages but rather rambling and incoherent.

All In A Mouse's Night - WAW begins and ends as classic Genesis, sags a bit in the middle (Your Own Special Way tries to be Ripples II but falls flat, while Wot Gorilla is a b side that somehow found its way onto an already long album) and plummets into hitherto uncharted depths with this, infinitely the weakest of the generally lame comedy songs Genesis kept including on their albums.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 18:11
I was so disappointed about the ATTWT album and especially the single Follow You, Follow Me, that I decided not to join my friends to visit the tour so I missed the wonderful mirrors show and the great renditions of many pre-ATTWT songs, I am sure that if the awful crappy and poppy sounding Follow You, Follow Me would not have been on the album, I would have said 'yes' to my friends because for me that damned single epitomizes the more poppy sound by The Phil Collins Trio Angry !

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 29 2007 at 18:12
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 18:19
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Lighten up, for Pete's sake, ....

Ummmm....Lighten up indeed. 

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 18:44
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Lighten up, for Pete's sake, ....

Ummmm....Lighten up indeed. 

Yes, I see the irony.

But still, does a catchy love song like "Follow You follow Me" really deserve hatred?Confused (I really like that song, & always have -- so you may as well hate me too for my sentimentality.)

Shocked Yes, it's true: Genesis dared to change their sound after Gabriel left -- get over it already.

& what sort of reactions might I expect if I start a "most hated Opeth song" or "most hated Dream Theater song" thread here, hmmmm? Stern%20Smile

Edited by Peter - August 29 2007 at 19:09
He chortled in his joy.
ProgRobUK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 19:34
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Asking this question without "illegal Alien" as a choice is like asking "best Tull album" without TAAB as a choice...AngryAngry

Yes, even Who Dunnit' is better than the atrocity called Illegal Alien.

Have to agree.  Illegal Alien would be top of my list but Silver Rainbow is unlistenable to as well.

Cheers
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 19:37

& what sort of reactions might I expect if I start a "most hated Opeth song" or "most hated Dream Theater song" thread here, hmmmm? Stern%20Smile

perhaps it's time to find out? =)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 19:46

To quote myself from the favorite Genesis Song poll: As for the constant negativity towards Illegal Alien: 1. I actually liked that song when it came out, and I still like it now.  I have mentioned in other forum topics, I was aware of and liked Phil Collins' era Genesis way before I was aware of Peter Gabriel era Genesis which was way before my prog time.  Therefore, somewhat ironically I am fond of their newer stuff for its "historical" attachment, whereas, the older stuff is still relatively new to me.  I suppose that it just hasn't been drilled in to my head as much as the catchier pop prog songs of the post-Gabriel years.  

2. For those that say it isn't progressive, it is a song that is way ahead of its time.  With the current increased U.S. political debates, these days, it is definitely "no fun, being an illegal alien". 

As to the negative Opeth thread, see the thread "When did Opeth become Prog?".  For Tool, see "I can't get into Tool".  For Dream Theater, see the hundred or so threads that bash them.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 20:10
Originally posted by ProgRobUK ProgRobUK wrote:

Silver Rainbow is unlistenable to as well.

Cheers

Not only  do I find it "listenable," but pleasurable.

It's all a matter of individual taste.
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 20:33
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

As to the negative Opeth thread, see the thread "When did Opeth become Prog?".  For Tool, see "I can't get into Tool".  For Dream Theater, see the hundred or so threads that bash them.

Ermm I think thread titles like those are still a far cry away from 'Most Hated ____ Song," in terms of overall nastiness and provocation factor.

Questioning a listed band's "prog" status is one thing, observing that you can't "get into" a band another, but I think words like "hated" have a much greater likelihood to offend and inflame.

It's like that  offensive "overrated" thing -- i wish folks would word some of their threads more carefully. (Again, the trouble with that word is that it does not so much refer to the writer's taste, as it condemns the tastes of others.)

Anyway, please understand that I was reading this thread on a bad day. I was feeling tired & down, and many of the posts here -- roundly condemning songs I've long loved, like Harlequin and Battle of Epping Forest, & some I've always liked (More Fool Me, for example) just seem out of place, and unnecessarily nasty,  It's not easy to just sit back and see something which you hold dear get so bashed around -- least of all on a forum supposedly dedicated to the love of prog.

I know, individual songs by listed bands aren't unassailable "sacred cows" (nor should they be), but HATED? Unhappy

That's just immature, nasty, and looking for a fight, IMO -- a thread tailor-made to offend. Stern%20Smile

(Hate is such a strong, emotional, provocative word. I think it should be reserved for truly deserving evils and injustices -- at least in print. Try ''least liked.")

Edited by Peter - August 29 2007 at 20:41
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 20:46
Anyway, enough of this -- no hard feelings. Taste in art is a strange and varied beastie.
I'm going out for a ride on my bike, and a cup of tea. That should cheer me up! Big%20smile

Shocked Supposedly the mall near my house is on fire -- think I'll take a look (I hope no one's hurt!)

Carry on! Smile

Edited by Peter - August 29 2007 at 20:47
He chortled in his joy.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 00:11
Peter you had many good points. I was very careful not to use the word "hate", I don't even hate all the unlistenable crap from radio I'm forced to listen at work, it's just not worth it.

My problem with Epping Forest is indeed a matter of individual taste. I have no problem whatsoever with expressive vocal styles in general, it's just my unfortunate dislike in some colours of Gabriel's voice. And it makes me sad, that Selling England could be a truly great album if it wasn't for this one song I can't enjoy (I'm not a big fan of I Know What I Like either, but More Fool Me is a nice little song).

I'm actually looking forward to getting to know the poppier side of Genesis, because I like Collins's voice and I have a perversion for the pop hits of the 80's.
Bastille Dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 01:52
Well to each his own but, But the Battle of Epping Forest is my most favorite Genesis song of all time.
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 03:45
To be fair, most of the songs in the poll options come from after Genesis classic prog days.
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 03:49

"The Musical Box." I mean, what the crap is up with that song? Sure, "Watcher of the Stars" was cheeezy and pointless, but at least it was catchy and headbanging. "Box" is thoroughly unmemorable.

Oh, and "Epping Forest" is awesome. LOADS better than that "Supper's Ready" rip off known as "Cinema Show" that gets all the press.

Edited by The Whistler - August 30 2007 at 03:50
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 03:54
Originally posted by Matt Dickens Matt Dickens wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Dickens Matt Dickens wrote:

Originally posted by iguana iguana wrote:

I equate it to modes of locomotion.  Once you learn to walk, you rarely go back to crawling. Unless you need to get into some tight area where you can't really stand to do some job that requires the crawl function.  Pop songs are like crawling, prog is lke walking.  Once you have discovered prog or jazz or some other thoughtful music you only need pop for the odd job like dancing with a hot chick or something. Otherwise, what the hell's the point?
oh, my, it's quotes like these why us prog fans cannot walk around in public without people jeering and pointing the finger at us...

Funny, I am almost never jeered or pointed at. Are you?

I don't know about that, it seems like an unfair metaphor; as though you are trying to emply that anyone with different musical tastes than your own are inferior to you.

They are, get over it. LOL

Then it has been said....they are inferior to the both of us then.Tongue

ah, sarcasm... luv it.

i also plead guilty of at times taking me and my sick music taste a tad too seriously... we shouldn't really. it's simply (great and imaginative) music.
i am equally comfortable listening to good punk rock or electronica.
or good pop songs like latter-day genesis are capable of creating.
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
blaughida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 10:00
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

So funny, I actually voted for No Reply before I read the poster's comments.  I can't stand the way Tony fights the horn section with a completely inappropriate keyboard rhythm.  It's the only Genesis song that I did not include when I taped my original vinyl albums for listening in the car back in the day.
Until We Can't Dance came along...
Terry

Tony didn't want the horn section on there, right?  He wanted to do them himself with his keyboards but Phil was obsessed with EW&F.  Maybe that's why he made the song unlistenable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>