This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 12:20
Originally posted by iguana iguana wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I equate it to modes of locomotion.  Once you learn to walk, you rarely go back to crawling. Unless you need to get into some tight area where you can't really stand to do some job that requires the crawl function.  Pop songs are like crawling, prog is lke walking.  Once you have discovered prog or jazz or some other thoughtful music you only need pop for the odd job like dancing with a hot chick or something. Otherwise, what the hell's the point?

oh, my, it's quotes like these why us prog fans cannot walk around in public
without people jeering and pointing the finger at us...

Funny, I am almost never jeered or pointed at. Are you?
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 12:28
Either Who Dunnit, Anything She Does or In Too Deep (this should have been on a Collins solo album).
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 12:29
Hmm, aside from Wot Gorrila (which is a great instrumental and shouldn't be in this list I don't think),  I don't like any of these songs really.  Can't say I "hate" any of them, though Invisible Touch and Illigal Alien come very close.

Someone mentioned Harlequin...........I think that song is excellent.

Matt Dickens View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 12:38

illegal alien is definetly the only one I truly hate.

Why is it not on the list?
If it ain't broke don't break it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 12:42

I equate it to modes of locomotion.  Once you learn to walk, you rarely go back to crawling. Unless you need to get into some tight area where you can't really stand to do some job that requires the crawl function.  Pop songs are like crawling, prog is lke walking.  Once you have discovered prog or jazz or some other thoughtful music you only need pop for the odd job like dancing with a hot chick or something. Otherwise, what the hell's the point?

I don't know about that, it seems like an unfair metaphor; as though you are trying to emply that anyone with different musical tastes than your own are inferior to you.
Prog-man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 13:01

- I'm sorry, but ... where is Paperlate? (The trumpets....aarghh!!!). I think no Reply at all is a bad song, but it's better, after all (and in the live version there are no trumpets!!...)

- Who dunnit? That is not a song. it's simply a session joke (with Mike playing drums). It doesn't count...

- More fool me and That's all are not prog, something different, but they're not bad songs. Some folk tunes...

- Wot Gorilla is a great song (I suposse influenced by Phil's work with Brand X).

- Follow you, follow me it's a simple but effctive radio-friendly pop song. I don't like it. But it was the beginning of the muted Rutherford guitars (he named that "digital cuts"), a resource that has been present in so many songs (with Genesis & the Mechanics)...

- Turn it on again is classic. Good & simple song (in 9/8). It was covered by a thousend of bands (like Dream Theater), who recongnized his value.

- I like Me and Sarah Jane. Is different, but atmospheric and melancholic. Not a masterpiece, but nice.

- Abacab is excellent. Obviously, you can feel the 80's electronic sound influence in it. But dou you remember the live version (from Three Sides Live) and the final solo? Oh, God!! Cool!!!

- Anything she does is horrible. Is a song for Phil's solo carreer setlist! I only like the video (featuring Benny Hill).

- Some ballads of the poll are good stuff: Your own special way, Never a time, In too deep, Shipwrecked, If that's what you need (both with great vocal performances of Ray).

- Not about us is not bad. Is really excellent. It's a a semi-acoustic ballad with real feeling. That was something new for Genesis, and I really enjoyed the cover from RPW with Ray Wilson (live). That would be a good direction for the 3rd. Genesis Era.

- I disliked Tell me why when I listened it for the 1st. time. But now I think it's a good song, with deep lyrics. Not bad at all.

- Congo is exactly the thing that Phil's Era fans (and the Record Company) wanted. Or better... Good song. It should have been a hit.

- Never a time is strange. Not good, not too bad. Listenable, at all.

- Invisible touch is really awful!! I can't listen that song!! 

I would like to add another songs that I don’t like (including some b-sides and non-officially edited songs): Illegal Alien, Silver Rainbow, Harlequin, Small talk, Naaminanu, Match of the day, Papa he said, I'd rather by you, Hearts on fire (the two last are really unlistenable...).

Genesis is my all time favourite band (along with Porcupine Tree).

But they wrote an incredible quantity of material, and is really insignificant what I dislike of it. Sorry again, but I can’t hate their songs. Simply, I don’t like a few (of hundreds!!!), and I skip them.

I voted (from the list): Anything She does. I really dislike that one. Bad music, bad lyrics (OK the video maybe funny, but the song is the worst of the list).  

Special mentions: I dislike more these songs (in order): Illegal Alien, Paperlate, I'd rather by you, Hearts on fire, Invisible Touch.

Edited by Prog-man - August 29 2007 at 13:08
Arriving somewhere but not here
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 13:31
So funny, I actually voted for No Reply before I read the poster's comments.  I can't stand the way Tony fights the horn section with a completely inappropriate keyboard rhythm.  It's the only Genesis song that I did not include when I taped my original vinyl albums for listening in the car back in the day.
Until We Can't Dance came along...
Terry
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 13:33
Whilst some are much better than others and some are not prog at all I can't say that I actually hate any Genesis tracks.
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 13:39
Originally posted by Heavyfreight Heavyfreight wrote:

Whilst some are much better than others and some are not prog at all I can't say that I actually hate any Genesis tracks.

Enough said.  See my signature line for my vote.  I have chosen not to vote.
The Acolyte View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 13:42
"More fool me" is the reason for SEBTP not being the besto prog record ever.
"…but would I leave you in this moment of your trial?"
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 13:44
Originally posted by Matt Dickens Matt Dickens wrote:

I don't know about that, it seems like an unfair metaphor; as though you are trying to emply that anyone with different musical tastes than your own are inferior to you.

They are, get over it. LOL
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 14:19
I haven't heard much of the pop Genesis, but from the albums I've heard (including some of the mentioned songs) the most annoying song is Battle of Epping Forest hands down. When Gabriel stops being a singer and becomes an actor, I just can't take his voice. 
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 14:20
Originally posted by Keppa4v Keppa4v wrote:

I haven't heard much of the pop Genesis, but from the albums I've heard (including some of the mentioned songs) the most annoying song is Battle of Epping Forest hands down. When Gabriel stops being a singer and becomes an actor, I just can't take his voice. 

Hate that song too.  With a passion. 
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 14:24
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Originally posted by Keppa4v Keppa4v wrote:

Hate that song too.  With a passion. 

mistertorture View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 14:55
That list is missing several songs.

Some Genesis songs I don't like:

Paperlate
Illegal Alien
Anything She Does
I Can't Dance
Congo
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 15:37
I've always disliked Follow you, Follow me, it's just a bit twee IMO. Sure Genesis have worse songs than that from the 80's but by simply not listening to them I've managed to almost forget what those songs sound like but Follow you, Follow me just wont get out my head.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 15:40

Originally posted by Matt Dickens Matt Dickens wrote:

They are, get over it. LOL

Then it has been said....they are inferior to the both of us then.Tongue
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 15:47
Asking this question without "illegal Alien" as a choice is like asking "best Tull album" without TAAB as a choice...AngryAngry

Yes, even Who Dunnit' is better than the atrocity called Illegal Alien.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 16:47
Boy is this a popular thread. Looks like Gneesis have upset most of us at one time or another!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 17:15
ErmmJust an observation -- please correct me if i'm wrong -- but it seems, from many of the venomous posts here and elsewhere,  as if a lot of today's "prog" fans have real problems with pretty melodies, simpler song structures, lyrics that deal with that four-letter word LOVE, and/or sensitivity, sentimentality and beauty, in general.

Why are the softest (or funniest) songs always the ones that get the most scorn heaped upon them here? I mean, Harlequin, for goodness sake? What's wrong with that one? I've always loved it.

"Most hated?" Confused Childhood must have been very miserable for an awful lot of you -- never hugged, were you? Mom and Dad hated each other?

And Gabriel putting on the different voices of the characters in the songs, as in Epping Forest (or so MUCH of their early material, like Harold the Barrel, lots of the Lamb, etc)? I always really loved those parts, as part of the complexity and depth of prog, and Genesis' unique character & stage show. You didn't just get a song from one point of view, you got a story with multiple characters and sections being presented -- even acted out --in front of you. There was often a generous helping of humour in such parts as well, to counter-balance the prevailing pretension and seriousness of so much of the rest. (Yes it's only knock and know-all, but I like it!) That was so much more than most bands were doing! I still really love to sing along with "they called me the reverend, when I entered the church unstained" or "you are a robbing hood!" If you hate that aspect of early Genesis and Gabriel, then a "rock opera" like the Who's Tommy must be TOTAL crap.....

It seems like "prog" (or at least its fans) is getting less varied and imaginative, more straight-forward, and above all more unsmilingly MACHO these days. Most seem to have no problem with singers who "growl" like demons, endless songs about murder, self-loathing, suicide, death and hatred, frowning publicity shots where today's prog idols look as if they'd just as soon kill you (and there's a place for that too, i guess)Ying%20Yang... but a LOVE song? That's utter filth  -- something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe, right? Stern%20Smile

I pity your girlfriends and your children....

Lighten up, for Pete's sake, and stop taking music so goddamn seriously.

Love is a real and positive thing.  It's a source of inspiration for artists, and a source of courage and strength for all who find it (you have to seek it, to find it) -- it's not a sign of weakness or delusion. Smiling feels good. Try it -- I'll pay for the stiches if your face cracks.Smile

Sigh. To quote the Tubes: "I know you can't believe it but YOU'RE NO FUN."

Spread the hate. Crap on everything. Find the inevitable flaws in everyone and everything, and focus on them. Tear it all down -- never build it up.

EmbarrassedSorry, but I needed to vent -- these kinds of threads seem more and more common, and bring me down.Ouch Most of you probably just need love, and to get away from your computers for awhile. We all need love and understanding. Hugs and smiles are very good.

Rant over. My sincerest apologies.

Embarrassed Okay, this old song from the 60s is a bit sappy, and 'twee," I suppose, but I think it nonetheless makes a darn good point that is perhaps even more apt now, than it was back then:

One Tin Soldier

by Lambert-Potter, sung by Coven

Listen, children, to a story
That was written long ago,
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
And the valley-folk below.

On the mountain was a treasure
Buried deep beneath the stone,
And the valley-people swore
They'd have it for their very own.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgment day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

So the people of the valley
Sent a message up the hill,
Asking for the buried treasure,
Tons of gold for which they'd kill.

Came an answer from the kingdom,
"With our brothers we will share
All the secrets of our mountain,
All the riches buried there."

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgment day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

Now the valley cried with anger,
"Mount your horses! Draw your sword!"
And they killed the mountain-people,
So they won their just reward.

Now they stood beside the treasure,
On the mountain, dark and red.
Turned the stone and looked beneath it...
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Heart

Edited by Peter - August 29 2007 at 19:06
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>