Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiohead's New album details
    Posted: October 01 2007 at 07:47
Lookie-lookie:

Click this

Yes that's right, follow the link as well to pre-order it. I think (but I'm not sure) that they still do not have a record company, but are releasing this for free maybe (?) I'm not very sure, and it's rather confusing. Either way though; it is being released in 10 days.

Enjoy!

EDIT: It seems that you actually, with the "DOWNLOAD" of the album, get to choose however much you want to pay for it; but if you order the "DISCBOX" version of the album, it costs some more, but you get some bonus tracks/material...

This is a bit odd, and I still do not think they have a record company. It's kind of neat.

NOTE: In order to access all of the album purchase information, follow the link that says "In Rainbows" from the link above.

Edited by king volta - October 01 2007 at 07:53
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 08:23
Holy crap!  If I did it right it's $82 for the disc and download.  If so it better be one hell of an album or this is worse fan abuse than even Steven Wilson has done.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 01 2007 at 08:28
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 08:50
wow, we must have posted threads at nearly the same time.  Or maybe I didn't see this one. 

anyhow...

Slartibartfast, how is this fan abuse?  You can download the album entirely for free if you want to.  You can pay for the download voluntarily, as much as you like, or you can spend the extra cash for the disc box.

sounds like a hell of an idea to me.  Download for cheap, and if it's as good as some of their other work, I'll get the whole shebang.

This looks like a brave new model for the music industry!
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 09:30
^ the disc box includes two vinyl discs, high-quality artwork and two CDs ... and the digital download of course. I think that 40 Pounds is ok for all that - and considering that the better part of that money goes directly to the band, I fully support the idea. Of course many fans will most likely not own a record player though - so it probably would have been a good idea to also offer a less expensive pack which contains the CDs and the download.
mrpink View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 10:05
This changes the rules of the music business: No more intermediares.

You choose the price you want to pay for the download, and if you want the CD (plus vinyl), you purchase the whole stuff direclty to the band.

This may be the future of the music. This may drop the CD prices, and give the artist more power in deciding how they want to produce their music.

This is great guys!

Edited by mrpink - October 01 2007 at 10:07
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 12:46
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

wow, we must have posted threads at nearly the same time.  Or maybe I didn't see this one. 

anyhow...

Slartibartfast, how is this fan abuse?  You can download the album entirely for free if you want to.  You can pay for the download voluntarily, as much as you like, or you can spend the extra cash for the disc box.

sounds like a hell of an idea to me.  Download for cheap, and if it's as good as some of their other work, I'll get the whole shebang.

I'll certainly take advantage of the free download, but that price for a hard copy is rather steep. 

To elaborate on the Steven Wilson fan abuse, I advanced ordered a special version of Deadwing that was supposed to have a DVD.  The CD turned up in stores before my special version arrived, so of course I had to go for immediate gratification and buy a copy from the local store.  When the special version arrived it turned out to be an audio DVD.  Then a few months later another DVD audio version was released that had three bonus track, which I had to get.  Arrrgh! LOL

So now there's a bonus CD available for Fear of a Blank Planet, which I also had to order and I suppose sooner or later the bonus and main CD will be available as a single package.  Better not put any additonal tracks on that.  Arrrgh arrgh!
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 12:48
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ the disc box includes two vinyl discs, high-quality artwork and two CDs ... and the digital download of course. I think that 40 Pounds is ok for all that - and considering that the better part of that money goes directly to the band, I fully support the idea. Of course many fans will most likely not own a record player though - so it probably would have been a good idea to also offer a less expensive pack which contains the CDs and the download.

I didn't see the bit that it was a package with vinyls.  I do hope they put out a CD only package with the bonus material. 

By the way, all for bypassing the record companies!

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 01 2007 at 12:48

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 13:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

anyhow...

I'll certainly take advantage of the free download, but that price for a hard copy is rather steep. 

To elaborate on the Steven Wilson fan abuse, I advanced ordered a special version of Deadwing that was supposed to have a DVD.  The CD turned up in stores before my special version arrived, so of course I had to go for immediate gratification and buy a copy from the local store.  When the special version arrived it turned out to be an audio DVD.  Then a few months later another DVD audio version was released that had three bonus track, which I had to get.  Arrrgh! LOL

So now there's a bonus CD available for Fear of a Blank Planet, which I also had to order and I suppose sooner or later the bonus and main CD will be available as a single package.  Better not put any additonal tracks on that.  Arrrgh arrgh!

Yeah, that sucks what PT does sometimes.  After being disappointed with FOABP, a very accessible mainstream release (by that I mean it is easily available at the nearest Best Buy), I've now heard some samples from the new EP, which sound much better than FOABP, but the damn EP is impossible to find!

I agree that the discbox is a bit overpriced, but it does come with a lot of stuff.  Think about if you bought them all separately:
Single CD with bonus disc (or double CD) - probably $25-30
double LP, heavy vinyl - probably $35-40
CDs with hardcover booklets and extensive artwork are usually a few bucks more than others...

so all in all it's not terrible, but still overpriced.

ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 13:26
Still trying to figure out what I should chip in for the download.  Is $10 about right?

N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 13:28

Yeah, that sucks what PT does sometimes.  After being disappointed with FOABP, a very accessible mainstream release (by that I mean it is easily available at the nearest Best Buy), I've now heard some samples from the new EP, which sound much better than FOABP, but the damn EP is impossible to find!

Burning Shed is your best bet, you should still be able to order the second pressing of Nil Recurring or just go for the download option.
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 13:33
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Still trying to figure out what I should chip in for the download.  Is $10 about right?

The album will be available as an ordinary CD in 2008, so if you're planning on buying the actual album, I'd recommend getting the download for free and buying the album later. Keep in mind that you don't even know what format the digital download will be in.
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 14:18
I'm so friggin' happy for theis! Big%20smile

I'll see about paying for the download (I've got to give the band something for this release anyway) and if I really, really, really like it, I'll get the diskbox.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 15:08
Nice

I'll probably get the box since I'm a collecting freak. But anyway, how hard is it for such a popular band to get a record deal?Confused
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 16:09
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Nice I'll probably get the box since I'm a collecting freak. But anyway, how hard is it for such a popular band to get a record deal?Confused

personally, i'm not exactly sure the band has been LOOKING for one....

could be wrong though.
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 16:28
Originally posted by king volta king volta wrote:

Nice I'll probably get the box since I'm a collecting freak. But anyway, how hard is it for such a popular band to get a record deal?Confused

could be wrong though.

Yes, much like Trent Reznor, Radiohead have been actively working against major record labels and looking for different ways to distribute music without the opressive hand of a corporation taking a chunk of it.  They're lucky that they're popular enough to pull this off, but I think it could still serve as a great model
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 16:35

could be wrong though.

Yes, much like Trent Reznor, Radiohead have been actively working against major record labels and looking for different ways to distribute music without the opressive hand of a corporation taking a chunk of it.  They're lucky that they're popular enough to pull this off, but I think it could still serve as a great model

Ahh, that's another story. Great for them, it's a cool move indeed. The box sales will probably be profitable enough anyway(I just ordered mineEmbarrassed).

Btw Pax Cecilia are already following the model... if only Radiohead followed PC's model with the box...LOL
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:08

Nice

I'll probably get the box since I'm a collecting freak. But anyway, how hard is it for such a popular band to get a record deal?Confused

I think it would be very hard for *any* band to get a record deal which allows them to give away their album for free (afaik you can download it without paying anything). Record label folks are kind of traditional people when it comes to business rules ... Wink
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:46
Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

Burning Shed is your best bet, you should still be able to order the second pressing of Nil Recurring or just go for the download option.

Of course I ordered the hard copy before they offered it as a download. LOL

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:49

could be wrong though.

Ahh, that's another story. Great for them, it's a cool move indeed. The box sales will probably be profitable enough anyway(I just ordered mineEmbarrassed).

Btw Pax Cecilia are already following the model... if only Radiohead followed PC's model with the box...LOL

I'm going the download route and hoping they'll release hard copies eventually with the bonus materials minus the vinyls.  I'm just never going to play vinyl if there's a CD alternative.

Here's a question.  Why are they making us wait 10 days if it's already complete?Angry
Excuse me while I start foaming at the mouth and falling over backwards.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 01 2007 at 18:51

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:52
I'll support them as well... more power to them.  Screw the record companies.. they've had it coming for years. 

Edited by micky - October 01 2007 at 18:53
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>