Topic ClosedCollaborators Top Albums of 2007 - Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 13:37
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

It amuses me how some people take these things so personally.  It's just a snapshot of opinion.  Many of us haven't even heard much of the stuff that ranked high.  Anyway, the best time to evaluate a year in music isn't right after it's concluded.  It's a fun little exercise though and an opportunity for discovery as well...

Well said Clap 

Although I voted myself in the non colabs top albums I tend to wait until around March to work out my own personal top ten albums of the year; let the dust settle a bit and a few 2007 albums bought near the end of the year or early 2008 need time to be digested.

Interesting to see Porcupine Tree toping both lists and a deserved placing I think even though it wont be my album of the year, although somewhere near the top. Nice to see them getting some credit for a strong album and also by Prog standards a bit of commercial success.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 13:50
Anyway, some lessons learned all round for next year.

As an aside, the active topics is a good way to make sure you don't miss anything.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 14:15
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

OK, here's the rest, batched according to equal position:

38=

Shels- The sea of Dying dhow

Theres a very pleasant suprise. I thought I was the only one who voted for it, or is it that high just because I put it in my #1 spot?
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 15:00
Originally posted by Oceansizzle Oceansizzle wrote:

glad Oceansize was at least 16, but i think it should have been in top 5 or 10 along with Radiohead.  I just see alot of prog big names with mediocre albums...

Originally posted by Erpland316 Erpland316 wrote:

Also, Tony Levin's solo album as well as Oceansize's new album are much better than FOABP (IMP!)

Hamfari View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 20:37
of course you guys can argue back and forth about the list and the methods and difficulties making it "credible"...    doesn�t matter much to me, I like these top album lists and this is an interesting list, which is going to result in me having to check some artists out. Wink
Don�t take top album lists so seriously, they�re entertainment and newbie guides.

and what do you have to do if you want to send a list next time for 2008? Have 3000 posts?

Edited by Hamfari - January 27 2008 at 20:44
Nobody needs to go anywhere else. We are all, if we only knew it, already there.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 07:34
Originally posted by Hamfari Hamfari wrote:

of course you guys can argue back and forth about the list and the methods and difficulties making it "credible"...    doesn�t matter much to me, I like these top album lists and this is an interesting list, which is going to result in me having to check some artists out. Wink
Don�t take top album lists so seriously, they�re entertainment and newbie guides.

and what do you have to do if you want to send a list next time for 2008? Have 3000 posts?

You need to be a prog reviewer, collaborater or special colaborater (4 or 5 stars under your name basically) to get into the collabs zone were the voting is done.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Rutgers Joe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 12:04
No mention of this CD at all...that's a shame...
The original (and very creepy) cover of THE STEVE HOWE ALBUM...hint...look in the water...

Prince_Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 12:36
It's a pretty bad list

porcupine tree?  is this a joke?
FranMuzak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 12:55
I'm glad PT made it to the top. I also like Anekdoten and Riverside's positions but i would've liked to see Oceansize and Galahad higher and i'm really surprised not to see Gazpacho!
Inferno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 14:40
Galahad...is plain boring!

No Isis, no Locust, , No Pelican, No Number twelves looks like you, No Amplifier, No Omar-Rodriguez Lopez, Hell...I even think that I didn't saw the last Pain of Salvation in the list.

It's suprising to see the list get full of new band like SGM, The Dear Hunter or with Avant-garde like Zorn but still saying that Galahad is good enough to be in the top 100 of 2007 with their regressive boring rock.
f**k, where in 2007 dammit, not in 1987!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 15:11
Originally posted by Erpland316 Erpland316 wrote:

Also, Tony Levin's solo album ...  are much better than FOABP (IMP!)

I'll have to second that, and I for one enjoyed them both.  Fans of Fear really should check out Tony's album, I think you'll like it, too (the opening track is a little difficult listening, but the rest is most excellent).  (Don't know nothin' about Oceansize, so no comment there.)

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 28 2008 at 15:14
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 17:39
Originally posted by Inferno Inferno wrote:

No Isis, no Locust, , No Pelican, No Number twelves looks like you, No Amplifier, No Omar-Rodriguez Lopez, Hell...I even think that I didn't saw the last Pain of Salvation in the list.

It's suprising to see the list get full of new band like SGM, The Dear Hunter or with Avant-garde like Zorn but still saying that Galahad is good enough to be in the top 100 of 2007 with their regressive boring rock.

As far as I know, Isis didnt release an album last year. As for the others, well I only know the Pelican and PoS ones and they were nothing special (clearly havnt been here long or you'd know that Scarsick gets some real hate on here from a number of people, and most others just find it OK).
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Inverted View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 22:45
I'm surprised Systematic Chaos and Somewhere Else are so high, Ziltoid is so low, and The Hemulic Voluntary Band by Ritual didn't even make the list. That poor album keeps getting overlooked. 
Prog... It's good.
FranMuzak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 16:08
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Inferno Inferno wrote:

As far as I know, Isis didnt release an album last year. As for the others, well I only know the Pelican and PoS ones and they were nothing special (clearly havnt been here long or you'd know that Scarsick gets some real hate on here from a number of people, and most others just find it OK).

Count me as one of the members that dislike Scarsick, I think Galahad's Empires Never Last is way better than PoS's (i do like a lot PoS, but not the last one). Talking about Galahad, i believe this album was a big step forward in their career and i don't think it sounds 80's like some of their previous releases. WE ARE in 2008 and i still think Galahad's album should've been higher (maybe not top 20 but at least top 50) in the 2007 list.
Genesister View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 19:06
Pain of Salvation's Scarsick is my favorite album of 2007, and one of my favorites of all time actually. Am I banned yet?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 07:23
Originally posted by Genesister Genesister wrote:

Pain of Salvation's Scarsick is my favorite album of 2007, and one of my favorites of all time actually. Am I banned yet?

Hey, no reason to be banned if you know what you like and you like what you know...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Inferno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 10:33
as far as I know, In absence of truth from Isis was out on January 2007!

PS; If galahad last album is a big step foward from their previous output....DAMN...I don't to listen to the rest of what they did!

PPS: I agree, Pain's last album is not as good as the previous one...but is still a better output then a couple of name that I saw on that list

rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 11:48
I agree with most of what made it in to the top 20.  Don't know why FOABP gets such a bad rap - It was definitely one of my favorites of the year.

I would however rate many of the albums listed higher than the Neal Morse album. 
Genesister View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 20:45

Hey, no reason to be banned if you know what you like and you like what you know...

The "Am I banned yet?" was me messing around. You can't take me too seriously.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 20:50

The "Am I banned yet?" was me messing around. You can't take me too seriously.

and his response was him quoting Genesis

now you're banhammered

OR ARE YOU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>