Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBowie enters the Archives!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 21:47
How sad if we rely on Amazon. instead of this site.

Iván

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Iván

our job is to give them the info... we can't put the music in their hands...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:17
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

instead of 1977 maybe there is a case.

...  but the point that sort of trumps all is .. not whether they are prog related because ..really... who wasn't in the 70's.... 

But realistically, Boston, Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, Blue Oyster Cult, Journey, Toto, etc. can all be shoe-horned in to the prog-related category

*sigh*

Now I know how Micky and Raf felt about RPI.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:18

Iván

How strange, I thought the main reason for PROG Archives was to promote PROG over non Prog artists?

Iván

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:20

Iván

How strange, I thought the main reason for PROG Archives was to promote PROG over non Prog artists?

Iván

and that is what we do.... what we've always done...ConfusedLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:32
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

instead of 1977 maybe there is a case.

...  but the point that sort of trumps all is .. not whether they are prog related because ..really... who wasn't in the 70's.... 

But realistically, Boston, Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, Blue Oyster Cult, Journey, Toto, etc. can all be shoe-horned in to the prog-related category

*sigh*

Now I know how Micky and Raf felt about RPI.

LOL  you poor Kansas fans... you all do have my respect for all the abuse you take.. 

that is the funny thing though...  who outside of prog circles considers Kansas prog... they are lumped together with those other groups by about everyone else... in the public mind they are not a prog band.. but an AOR band.  Yet it's funny how selective that logic can be... see... Kansas is not... forget the labels..you just have to  listen to the music.. but ahhhh.. that does not apply to all does it.. Nope...   a band was rejected here..  no names needed hahha.. because .. the main reason.. regardless of the music.. they were not thought of as a prog band.  

No wonder some people get so worked up... if people were consistent in their lines of thinking.. the prog world would be such a happy place hahhaha.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:19

Iván

Iván

And this is exactly my point.  If I can't buy the CD, how can I listen to it and therefore comment on it or get excited about it?

My local independent CD retailer recently closed down (and I live in Seattle, I suppose nearly but not exactly a backwater).  Said retailer might have been able to find one of these albums for me.  But now on the local level I'm left with Best Buy, so if I want to get anything even somewhat out of the ordinary (and I'd say all modern prog save MV, Tool, etc. is out of the ordinary), I'm forced to go to Amazon.  If they don't have it, I'm done.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:20

You said quite a lot in that paragraph Mick. In the end though the main problem is trying to define what prog is. So in that case a little knowledge is dangerous.   In my mind even a group like Chicago would have some merit in the archives because their most proggy stuff very few people would have heard.  I am sure to be crucified for that comment.

As for Kansas itself well it is mostly a matter of perception with some history.  Kansas were around a long time before Boston and the others even Styx.  Most people only hear the radio hits that happened about the same time these other groups happpened. Even if people hear the progressive side people think oh yeah Kansas just ripped off Yes, Genesis Elp etc. without knowing that the real influences were early Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Frank Zappa (60's) Touch, The Nice and VDGG.  Probably can throw in some Tower of Power, Jeff Beck, Cream, Free and Blood Sweat and Tears as well. Now that puts them into a different time line than people think.  The band existed in form or another since 1969 and several songs that ended up on albums were written in that time perid of 69-73.  They didn't get to record their first album until 1974 which was the first time they got their hands on a synth. 

But all that requires some research and  it is just easier to think Oh yeah Carry On 1976 and Dust in the Wind 1977 rather than Belexis, Myriad and Incomudro circa 1971-3. Wink

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:25

Iván

Iván

And this is exactly my point.  If I can't buy the CD, how can I listen to it and therefore comment on it or get excited about it?

My local independent CD retailer recently closed down (and I live in Seattle, I suppose nearly but not exactly a backwater).  Said retailer might have been able to find one of these albums for me.  But now on the local level I'm left with Best Buy, so if I want to get anything even somewhat out of the ordinary (and I'd say all modern prog save MV, Tool, etc. is out of the ordinary), I'm forced to go to Amazon.  If they don't have it, I'm done.

You can probably find them for download somewhere at a reasonable price. Maybe check out the bands website or myspace page.  It does require a little effort but it can be found at least most things can be.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:31
There's the problem for us old school people.  I don't want a soft copy.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:42
Well I am old school jamman being 52 years old but I realize we are living in a different world.  Wink

Cost to much to drive to store now and I can dl one without the cost of shipping and tax.

Hell I even saw Liquid Tension Experiement and really enjoyed it so I think you can teach old dogs new tricks.  Wink

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:57

Well I am old school jamman being 52 years old but I realize we are living in a different world.  Wink

Cost to much to drive to store now and I can dl one without the cost of shipping and tax.

Hell I even saw Liquid Tension Experiement and really enjoyed it so I think you can teach old dogs new tricks.  Wink

You aren't quite as old school as me (I'm 54 Cry) but regardless I don't care for dl route.  I have several computers here at home and frankly I don't feel I should be required, as a listener, to manage a bunch of MP3's, much less have to listen to them strictly on my IPod.   

As an example of what a band can do, at the local county fair I saw a great band (Quiehua Mashis) which granted is not prog but is some Ecuadorian music and even they had CD's for sale onsite, one of which I bought.  See their web site www.incasite.com (moderator feel free to delete link if that's not allowed) to see how easy it is for a band to set up a web site.  It's only another minor step to set up sales instead of downloads.  If they are doing downloads they have all the infrastructure in place to sell a CD. 

I want to buy a CD.  I can listen to it on the home stereo, copy to a computer, download it to my IPOD.  I have an inherent distrust of non-hard formats.  Disk drives go bad, eventually.  Computers go bad, eventually. 

We are getting obviously off the original topic (Bowie) here, but at least I can go back and listen to that without of a hardware failure.

And in case there's any question, I am not lobbying for inclusion of Kansas or Foreigner or anyone else (except XTC) on the site.  I'm just saying I understand Micky's position that given a little elbow room a sufficiently devious stance, all of the bands I brought up could wend their way here.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 00:17
Should say "and that given a little elbow room...."

Micky, didn't mean to imply you were lobbying for or suggesting inclusion of Kansas, just reiterating the '70's point that many of these bands qualify as 'prog-related' whatever that is.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 00:18

I have had several CD's go bad as well.  The key is backing up.  Cheap hard drives are readily available. 

As to Kansas they are already here in symphonic where they belong.

As to the rest Early Journey yes, Boston no, Toto maybe and  Foreigner no

The first was a progressive rock group Toto did some things in that vien and the other two were mostly pop/rock groups that gave a slight nod to prog in a couple of their songs. 

As for David Bowie he belongs and he was never one of my personal favorites.  However I agree with Ivan we need to look at bands that aren't ashamed to carry the prog label.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 00:28
Hmm that shows how much attention I pay to Kansas...

All I am saying is that yes many of us would gladly buy NEW progressive music if the quality is there but the bands need to find a way to make it available other than download only.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 01:31

Iván

Iván

That's why Prog Archives is here, just check the new added bands and most of them have a link towards the website,,it's simple, in the case of Alex Carpani for example, you just click on the website pointed here in Prog Archives:

If you don't want to take risks, you can listen almost the whole album in live version plus MP3 http://www.alexcarpani.com/downloads/livedownl.html

If you like the samples, normally the web pages have a site where the album is sold  http://www.alexcarpani.com/shop-waterline/shop-wat.html , in this case you can choose:

http://www.blackwidow.it/page.php?pg=distribution

And

http://store.cypherarts.com/servlet/Detail?no=67
(U.S.A.)

http://www.cosmosmusic.fr/nouveautes.html
(France)

http://www.sonicbond.com/prodtype.asp?strPageHistory=cat&PT_ID=526
(UK)

http://freesonrock.com/en/index.html
(Canada)

http://www.artist-shop.com/clearlight/index.htm
(U.S.A.)

http://musea.musearecords.com/re_new_catselect.php?np=34795
(France)

http://www.beyondrock.nl
(The Netherlands)

http://www.kinesiscd.com/storeframe1.htm
(U.S.A.)

http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=C8M%20CYPHER%20008
(U.S.A.)

http://217.128.227.4/boutique/anglais/index.php
(France)

http://www.marquee.co.jp/world_disque/back_number1.htm
(Japan)

http://synphonic.8m.com/synphonic_catalog.pdf
(U.S.A.)

http://www.abraxas.home.pl/
(Poland)

http://shop.proggies.ch/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=110&Itemid=26
(Switzerland)

http://a.hatena.ne.jp/Kiev/
(Japan)

They will send you normally (90% of the cases of the bands we added) a brand new plastic CD, but if of course we keep caring of adding and endlesly debating non Prog artists as if it was the priority, we will never find it. Wink

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 01 2008 at 01:35

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 09:02
Hey, speaking of Kansas, Two For The Show comes out today and will probably be available at my local chain record store...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:44
^ Oh yeah Smile

although I preordered mine through Amazon (sorry Ivan).  An entire full new bonus disc of the rest of the Point of Know Return Concert and the restoration of Closet Chronicles. Remasterd by Jeff Glixman.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:15

^ Oh yeah Smile

although I preordered mine through Amazon (sorry Ivan).  An entire full new bonus disc of the rest of the Point of Know Return Concert and the restoration of Closet Chronicles. Remasterd by Jeff Glixman.

Hey, I also use Amazon, specially for common albums, but if you rely only in them, most surely will be loosing the best new bands.

Iván

Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:49

This is what bothers me, Saturday we added the FANTASTIC Alex Carpani Band, 100% Progressive with an amazing debut album released 6 months ago and nobody has even cared to reply to the thread.

But David Bowie, a barely Prog Related artist that released his last proggy album 40 years ago is added and we have 65 replies.

We have a discussion about genres and two 100% Prog bands like TRICANTROPUS and URBAN TRAPEZE almost had no place because they don't fit in a genre, but Bowie is here.

The site promotes CONTRARIAN, another 100% Prog band, and we have people saying they shouldn't be promoted because they are Retro Prog Cheese, but David Bowie, not Prog with a lot of Pop Cheese (among some excellent albums) has 3 pages of replies.

Pathetic for a Prog site.

Iván

I agree with you Ivan. As much as I like some of what Bowie did he is a monster of pop music not really what I would call prog except for maybe Ziggy Stardust. He tends to stick in the minds of many because he was huge. The Beatles will never be a prog band to me either but here they are. To each their own I guess and it is what is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>