Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Saw Dream Theater live, and now I don't like them.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSaw Dream Theater live, and now I don't like them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 00:04
Originally posted by Mantra Mantra wrote:

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

^ They must've not played Surrounded '07, deffinitley altered from the album version, sounds very good too. But like you said, not exactly the reason you stopped liking them.

It´s the strangest thing. And I still think they are great guys, I for one don´t have a problem with Portnoy, I think he is a very nice guy and you can really see he loves what he does, and if anything positive came out I like Rudess more now than before, I even got some of his solo stuff... but Dream Theater as a band... no longer holds any interest for me. Maybe some day I will listen to them again and like it, but I know it´s not a band I would go to see again...

I've experienced similar things with bands I used to like or love. What it came down to for me was the dryness of the material I had and the fact that there was nothing new. I dont feel that way for Dream Theater at all but you may. Maybe give their new album a listen when it comes out next year, or check out clips from their DVD online when it comes out in Sepetember, perhaps it would re-kindle your interest for them

The new DVD looks amazing.
MisterProg3333 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 02:03
MisterProg2112 is a n000000000b
MisterProg3333 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 02:04
lol i watches DT dvd right now with mister2112 he fails at life
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 03:14
^
I apologize for my friend, I am over his house and he got a hold of my laptop while we were watching Score.
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 04:03

^ They must've not played Surrounded '07, deffinitley altered from the album version, sounds very good too. But like you said, not exactly the reason you stopped liking them.

It´s the strangest thing. And I still think they are great guys, I for one don´t have a problem with Portnoy, I think he is a very nice guy and you can really see he loves what he does, and if anything positive came out I like Rudess more now than before, I even got some of his solo stuff... but Dream Theater as a band... no longer holds any interest for me. Maybe some day I will listen to them again and like it, but I know it´s not a band I would go to see again...

I've experienced similar things with bands I used to like or love. What it came down to for me was the dryness of the material I had and the fact that there was nothing new. I dont feel that way for Dream Theater at all but you may. Maybe give their new album a listen when it comes out next year, or check out clips from their DVD online when it comes out in Sepetember, perhaps it would re-kindle your interest for them

I'm always fearful of seeing a band live that I really like and then coming away from the show disappointed or turned off by their live performance.  I really hate it when that happens. 
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 04:35
Strangely enough, exactly the same happened to me last year during a Dream theater concert: DT were great, as always, but the supporting set by Symphony X was abysmal and I've not been able to listen to them since. Can't get that out of my head. I know it's wrong but that was a complete turn-off.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 11:12

^
I apologize for my friend, I am over his house and he got a hold of my laptop while we were watching Score.

The strange part is that I already knew what to expect, I have the Score dvd and really really like it... so, what was so different? Maybe the material they played? I mean the only song I really, really like from the new album was not played (Prophets of war) but instate I ended up with an encore of In presence of enemies 1 and 2... which quite frankly I find to be Dream Theaters worst material ever written, specially the second part. The whole "Dark master within" part was a bit shameful, I remember being with a friend at the concert and some people we had convinced to come with and we both feld a bit ashamed of this type of things. I guess LaBRIE´s name really makes sense... cheeeesyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

oh I´m just beyond hilarious
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 12:12
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

I saw DT in Chicago with 3, Between the Buried and me, and Opeth. It was a very dissapointing show (DT I mean, all the other bands were amazing). Don't get me wrong, DT sounded great, like listening to one of thier albums, but the arrogance ondisplay was astounding. Never, NEVER, have I seen such a self-absorbed band. John Myung was the only guy who came off as being cool, and big surprise, he had the least amount of solos. Rudess and Patrucci were alright, butthe constant close ups of thier soloes got really old really fast. You can play good, we get it, so could you stop showing off for 5 seconds and just play? Patrucci looked totally bored. He looked like he would rather be having a root canal. LaBrie was annoying as hell. He kept throwing the mic stand in there air like it was really a show o strength. It was just idiotic.Though the worst BY FAR was Mike Portnoy. What a DOUCHE. He kept standing up and nodding his head like he was hot sh*t. He would point to his little camera that was on his drum set, and when the stage hand was late with his mic, he bitched him out so everyone could hear in the middle of the song. It was shameful. Portnoy isn't that good. . . in fact, I would go so far as to say he may be the most overrated drummer of all time. There are so many greater drummers. Portnoy is mediocre at best.

You might be wondering (or you might not) why I haven't written this until now. Well, I decided to when I had my iTunes on shuffle and a DT song came on, and I hit skip right away. It was then I realized since the concert I have not listened to one DT song, and have no desire to.

I was a huge DT fan. Then I saw them live. It is something I greatly regret.

Portnoy mediocre? I wonder how he wins all those polls in drummer magazines ...

I've seen them live 3 times and own 3 DVDs ... I love their performances. The cameras / hand closeups don't bother me at all ... rather the reverse. DT is a band which you want to watch playing. Nobody's forcing you to look at the screens though. As a guitarist, I love it.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 13:10

Another album already? All I have to say is: Make it better than Systematic was, Mike!
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:20
Sorry if I greatly offended anyone. I wasn't trying to be a troll, just sharing an opinion. And hearing that they are nice guys to the fans kind of changes my mind a little bit.

And, I was going to stick around on these boards rather than make a topic and leave when it was dead, but after all this, I doubt I will ever make a new thread. If you can't express an opinion without people being total dickheads to you, forget it.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:48
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Portnoy mediocre? I wonder how he wins all those polls in drummer magazines ...

Yeah, I wonder about that, too.

~Rael~, make sure you catch the reformed Cynic live, if you get the chance. I did about a month ago, and loved every second of it. No excessive fireworks here, though the music is quite technical. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:53
^ If you hang around the forums any amount of time you will see that Dream Theater is easily the band that gets put down and bashed the most by posters on the forum.  You'll also find that their fans within the forum are quite passionate about supporting them and defending them, but after doing it thread after thread after thread it does get old and the defending responses become as "trollish" as your original post was perceived, correctly or incorrectly. 

That being said there is no reason for you to stop creating new threads or expressing your opinions.  As a general rule most posters are quite friendly, but threads that start out with negative opinions are unfortunately bound to bring out the equally negative "positive" responses. 

I do find it interesting that a band that you professed to have really liked before seeing them live, you now no longer like after seeing them live.  I think that I have been quite fortunate in that seeing bands live has almost always had a positive effect on my opinion of the band.  But it certainly is possible.  My co-worker was a big fan of Van Morrison.  She went to see him play live a month or so ago, and she said that the show was horrible.  He came on stage without saying anything to the crowd and just started performing the first song, he spent most of the show with his back to the crowd, he maybe said 10 words to the crowd, he didn't perform Brown Eyed Girl, and he walked off the stage without saying good night after he finished singing the final song, while the band completed the song.  He didn't come back for any encores.  I suppose that I might still like his music, but I certainly would be hardpressed to want to go see him again.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 16:03
I actually thought SC was a step in the right direction
and in the wrong direction at the same time
it seems they took a mulligan for lyrics for a whole album so hopefully next album they get serious with them again

anyway
hopefully the new album has them not trying so hard to be 'metal', they found the perfect balance on Scenes and Six Degrees but then lost it with Train of Thought

Mantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 17:13
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

it seems they took a mulligan for lyrics for a whole album so hopefully next album they get serious with them again

anyway
hopefully the new album has them not trying so hard to be 'metal', they found the perfect balance on Scenes and Six Degrees but then lost it with Train of Thought

Agreed on some degree, possibly too much time spent on heaveyness and metal riffing, but I deffinitely dont hate it. Infact I love Train of Thought, and despite the harsh critism I think Systematic Chaos is a quality album. Not their best but certainly not their worst. I dont have a huge problem with the metal elements because I'm sure they'll never stray away from their prog backround.

Maybe they'll surprise us with something more like Scenes, but maybe Roadrunner Records is encouraging them to be more 'metal' like most of their other artists.

Regardless though, I'll be there at the store buying the album on day 1 anyway >_>.

"I was told, theres a new love that's born for each one that has died."
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 17:49
I'm thinking that if I ever get to experience Dream Theater live, I might just close my eyes and only listen. Because watching them perform makes me appreciate the music less.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 17:54
I agree that DT live is nothing special. I agree that Mike Portnoy needs to be punched because he's so full of himself. I agree he's not the best drummer in the world.

However, you needn't dislike a band's music because you disagree with the character of the band members, you're just ruining something for yourself there. Also, mediocre is pretty harsh for describing Portnoy.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 20:14

^

The strange part is that I already knew what to expect, I have the Score dvd and really really like it... so, what was so different? Maybe the material they played? I mean the only song I really, really like from the new album was not played (Prophets of war) but instate I ended up with an encore of In presence of enemies 1 and 2... which quite frankly I find to be Dream Theaters worst material ever written, specially the second part. The whole "Dark master within" part was a bit shameful, I remember being with a friend at the concert and some people we had convinced to come with and we both feld a bit ashamed of this type of things. I guess LaBRIE´s name really makes sense... cheeeesyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

oh I´m just beyond hilarious

That you are, but I think that musically, "In the Presence of Enemies" is a fine work. The lyrics are what make it poor, really, and they're only laughable in part two. I love just about the whole thing, but I also put minimal focus on the lyrics.

Sorry if I greatly offended anyone. I wasn't trying to be a troll, just sharing an opinion. And hearing that they are nice guys to the fans kind of changes my mind a little bit.

And, I was going to stick around on these boards rather than make a topic and leave when it was dead, but after all this, I doubt I will ever make a new thread. If you can't express an opinion without people being total dickheads to you, forget it.

Well, didn't you at all expect it? This is the internet, after all, and your comments were pretty harsh and mean-spirited to begin with, so of course people are going to get all fussy.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:14

First, let me say thank you to rushfan4 for putting it all in perspective. I can understand someone coming to thier beloved band's defense.

As to not liking DT only because of the live performance, that is just not wholly true. I always had a mixed feeling about DT. It took me a long time to get into them, and most of that time was spent training myself to ignore LaBrie's voice. I can't get into his voice or singing style, and never will be able it, just personal taste. Though, the music overshadows his voice enough to make it enjoyable listening. The concert was just a nail in the coffin, as it were. Maybe even saying "I don't like them" is a bit harsh. I am not going to trade in my DT CDs, but since the concert, I have had no desire to listen to them. I doubt I will go the rest of my life without ever listening to them again.

My main reason for going to Chicago was for Opeth, because I didn't know how much they toured in the US. Of course, they are coming to St. Louis, which I already have tickets for (I didn't know they would be here in October at the time, I don't think it was scheduled). 3 was amazing also. Dream Theater was almost a bit to perfect. Like I said, it sounded like the CDs. . . the solos were identical. And, you have to admit, Patrucci's and Rudess's soloes are pretty much the same. They got boring for me after the 10th one. Portnoy didn't even do a solo. I thought a kickass drum solo was implied with a Dt concert. Maybe that is why I didn't like him much. I may have been able to overlook his stage persona if he had wowed me, but he didn't. I was expecting something to blow me away like one of Jordinson's solos, but he just played the songs as they were recorded. And Myung had one 10 second solo (if that long) and it kicked ass. He could have done more.

Edited by ~Rael~ - August 26 2008 at 23:15
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Mantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:26

First, let me say thank you to rushfan4 for putting it all in perspective. I can understand someone coming to thier beloved band's defense.

As to not liking DT only because of the live performance, that is just not wholly true. I always had a mixed feeling about DT. It took me a long time to get into them, and most of that time was spent training myself to ignore LaBrie's voice. I can't get into his voice or singing style, and never will be able it, just personal taste. Though, the music overshadows his voice enough to make it enjoyable listening. The concert was just a nail in the coffin, as it were. Maybe even saying "I don't like them" is a bit harsh. I am not going to trade in my DT CDs, but since the concert, I have had no desire to listen to them. I doubt I will go the rest of my life without ever listening to them again.

My main reason for going to Chicago was for Opeth, because I didn't know how much they toured in the US. Of course, they are coming to St. Louis, which I already have tickets for (I didn't know they would be here in October at the time, I don't think it was scheduled). 3 was amazing also. Dream Theater was almost a bit to perfect. Like I said, it sounded like the CDs. . . the solos were identical. And, you have to admit, Patrucci's and Rudess's soloes are pretty much the same. They got boring for me after the 10th one. Portnoy didn't even do a solo. I thought a kickass drum solo was implied with a Dt concert. Maybe that is why I didn't like him much. I may have been able to overlook his stage persona if he had wowed me, but he didn't. I was expecting something to blow me away like one of Jordinson's solos, but he just played the songs as they were recorded. And Myung had one 10 second solo (if that long) and it kicked ass. He could have done more.

What was that Myung solo in? Did they play part of the instrumental section of Metropolis Pt. 1 at the ending medley?

As for Petrucci and Rudess, like I said, they are very precise. Some dont like it like you, as you'd probably like to see more jamming, others appreciate the fact that they CAN play whats on the record, unlike ridiculous bands like Dragonforce or something.

Although I have to disagree, often times Rudess will mash up his solos and make them sound much different, save a few like Dance of Eternity and the keyboard melodies. But a lot of solos like the short one in Under a Glass Moon, he does change them up.

"I was told, theres a new love that's born for each one that has died."
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:29

Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

anyway

Agreed on some degree, possibly too much time spent on heaveyness and metal riffing, but I deffinitely dont hate it. Infact I love Train of Thought, and despite the harsh critism I think Systematic Chaos is a quality album. Not their best but certainly not their worst. I dont have a huge problem with the metal elements because I'm sure they'll never stray away from their prog backround.

Maybe they'll surprise us with something more like Scenes, but maybe Roadrunner Records is encouraging them to be more 'metal' like most of their other artists.

Regardless though, I'll be there at the store buying the album on day 1 anyway >_>.

Roadrunner Records is encouraging nothing of the sort, the producer they worked with on SC was the same who worked with Rush on "Moving Pictures", and the label itself didn't suggest him, the band requested he be. 

"If this band is going to say together, the label has to stay the f**k out of our music, no outside writers. The label will hear the album when it's finished. If this band is going to stay together, if this band is going to survive, everybody get out of our way, book the studio time and let us make our f**king record."
-Mike Portnoy around 1997/1998 

If they stuck to the same formula every album they wouldn't be as great of a band as they are.

They're getting heavier because their music is evolving, and that is the kind of direction they're taking as a band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>