Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArthur Brown's Kingdom Come

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Why is this band overlooked?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
3 [14.29%]
2 [9.52%]
15 [71.43%]
1 [4.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come
    Posted: November 16 2008 at 21:38
The recent polls regarding 70's albums got me to thinking (don't do that often).  I'm at a loss to understand why Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come is so overlooked.  I would rate their first album, Galactic Zoo Dossier, released early 1972, as good as and possibly better than ANY prog album of the era -- I mean ANY -- including Yes, ELP, KC, JT, Genesis, or any other band.  It remains my favorite album of the time and should be an integral part of any prog collection.  Their second, Kingdom Come, was a little shakier but nonetheless worthwhile.  The final album, Journey, was a space-rock masterpiece, complete w/ drum machine.

So why are these guys overlooked?  I just don't get it...

Edited by jammun - November 16 2008 at 21:54
Turion View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 21:55
I have to agree with your comments on the first two albums, as Galactic Zoo Dossier is in my top 25. I strongly disagree though about the third one, the band got really different and the music was just not there. Also I hate pretty much anything related to drum machines so that doesn't help, but the music was not there in the first place in my opinion.

I think they are overlooked because they are just too weird personally, probably scares even most of the people who would bother to look for the band in the first place. I think it's a great band, who made 2 VERY GOOD records and that's it.
?: (
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 22:13
I like Kingdom Come a great deal .  Here's a myspace page for those who are unfamiliar with Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come: http://www.myspace.com/kingdomcomearthurb

I don't know why it's less popular than it is.  It's not that weird to my ears (and even if it is, the weirdness is part of the fun), and other weird bands/ artists are popular at this site.

Edited by Logan - November 16 2008 at 22:14
Just a fanboy passin' through.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 22:41
When you realize that its the "crazy" world of Arhur Brown, that his hit "fire" was filmed (one of the very first "videos" ) , looking like Jesus on acid and putting out odd albums (I prefer Journey, think its a masterpiece), the conclusion is , to me at least, that SArthur was more a "Persona" than a de facto musician!  I believe that he emceed a fair amount of festivals and therefore explains why he was never consistent. Shocked
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
anoah View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 00:10
I think to some extent, they are considered too weird.  But hey, most prog bands are overlooked because they are considered too weird.  They really just didn't catch on though.  They did have one hit though, I believe--or at least, a semi-hit; "Spirit of Joy" or something like that.
proggy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 08:35
How about the "electronic drum machine" he was infatuated with.....Thumbs Down
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 08:51
I can't vote a LIKE allt their albums
To me Arthur Brown is a genius of prog rock.
And quite underrated sad but true...

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 19:02
Freaky stuff, but still if you enjoy Zappa early stuff, Beefheart, PATGOD and SOS from Floyd, it really isn't THAT weird.

They are just too weird for the majority.
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 19:51
I love everything this band put out, including Journey, I would have been amazing to see one of their performances with their wild outfits and stage antics....and who can not love band that has a song about flatulence!
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 20:39

Thanks all for your input.  I just found it somewhat depressing that the band was not a choice in the 'Year Full of Talent' polls.  It'd be like leaving out Tull or Genesis.  So I assumed there must be something that causes them to be overlooked.  Long live Galactic Zoo Dossier!

Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 11:00
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Thanks all for your input.  I just found it somewhat depressing that the band was not a choice in the 'Year Full of Talent' polls.  It'd be like leaving out Tull or Genesis.  So I assumed there must be something that causes them to be overlooked.  Long live Galactic Zoo Dossier!

Yeah, you are a fan no doubt about that, just see your avatar...LOLLOLLOLWink

I remember to lend a copy to my cousin of the first album and he found awesome!!, he didn't stop playing for a week!!!

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 11:07

First off, the hair metal band is the very first band I saw live.  They were the first band on at the Van Halen Monsters of Rock concert that I attended as my first concert. 

My only familiarity with Arthur Brown is the song Fire, and the version that ELP performed on their Manticore Box set.  If my memory serves me right, Carl Palmer is the drum machine that the above posters are referring to???  Wasn't he Arthur Brown's drummer? 
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 11:23

Kingdom ComeThumbs Up

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 20:27
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

First off, the hair metal band is the very first band I saw live.  They were the first band on at the Van Halen Monsters of Rock concert that I attended as my first concert. 

My only familiarity with Arthur Brown is the song Fire, and the version that ELP performed on their Manticore Box set.  If my memory serves me right, Carl Palmer is the drum machine that the above posters are referring to???  Wasn't he Arthur Brown's drummer? 

Fire was actually on The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, which preceded the Kingdom Come band by several years.  I think Carl Palmer, once a member, had left that band prior to Fire being recorded.  It's also a great album, with Vincent Crane on keyboards.  But Arthur went on to form Kingdom Come, with the first album released in early '72 or thereabouts.  The drum machine referred to is the Bentley Rhythm Ace, which was in fact the drummer on Kingdom Come's third and final album.

Edited by jammun - November 20 2008 at 19:37
AlanD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 06:35
Time Captives was first heard by myself under, shall we say, 'altered circumstances' back in my wild early seventies daze and I've never heard (or seen!) anything quite like it since....take me back!!!
AlanD
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 13:00
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Fire was actually on The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, which preceded the Kingdom Come band by several years.  I think Carl Palmer, once a member, had left that band prior to Fire being recorded.  It's also a great album, with Vincent Price on keyboards.  But Arthur went on to form Kingdom Come, with the first album released in early '72 or thereabouts.  The drum machine referred to is the Bentley Rhythm Ace, which was in fact the drummer on Kingdom Come's third and final album.

Thank you.  That makes sense.  I remembered Carl Palmer playing with Arthur Brown, but I didn't remember the Kingdom Come part.  That would explain it since he played with the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, which I do remember seeing.  I thought that since ELP covered Fire on their boxset that Carl Palmer was the drummer on that song, but maybe they only did it because that was his previous band and that was their best known song.?  Because they also did a cover from the Nice (I don't remember offhand which song) for Emerson and a cover from King Crimson for Lake (pretty sure it was 21st Century Schizoid Man).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 18:19
^ Scott, I got back into Kingdom Come thanks to one of your recent polls (I voted for it).
Possession is 9/10ths of the Law - Part 1

Incidentally, I've been listening to the second album quite a lot of late  I prefer it to Journey.

BBcodes
Galactic Zoo Dossier
(16 ratings)

Kingdom Come
(9 ratings)

Journey
(19 ratings)

Just a fanboy passin' through.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 19:36
That second album when it is good it is very good.  I liked it very much at the time, but over the years it's lost a bit of its shine for me, whereas Journey seems more to improve with age, especially the awesome Time Captives.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 07:03
I Love Kingdom Come specially the second album,  what you get is a touch of ELP with a Pinch of Monty Python all mixed up with some Zappa then washed down with PInt of English  Ale Brilliant !!!    
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 07:13
Hey Hawkwise, dig the new signature ^.  Nice one Clap.
 Post Reply Post Reply