Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 320321322323324 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 06:43
H'm - take a chance on me.....we used to sing an alternative version when I was at school...
I think it began with...."take a chance on me and you'll catch VD....." Tongue
When I was at secondary school - 1976-81 - I was just getting into Genesis, and obviously - sabbath, saxon, The Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Motorhead - heavy metal man.....The "cool" band was obviously "The jam"...admiting to liking ABBA would have meant certain death......
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 07:23
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Roland-

I just read your review for Brief Nocturnes.  From what i've heard, it sounds pretty great.  memorable melodies, good production.  i don't know, it just feels like everything came together for the.  i'm definitely going to pick it up.  i'm excited.  this seems like it's not going to take a ton of work to get into :-)

Great review, BTW.  some of the reviews here are damn near incomprehensible.

Thanks Craig,

I appreciate the compliment, truly.

The CD itself is fantastic as well, I forget if you're an old time Beard fan from back in the Neal days, but this one is easily on par with their classics.  As much as I liked Nick as a drummer, I never really cared for him as a lead singer / song writer.  I think the band has taken a step in the right direction here.  If you're interested, the CD is now available on Spotify to give you an idea of what it sounds like.

So far, it's in my top spot for 2013.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 09:42
Well, got my tickets for Flower Kings / Neal Morse in Philly!  The only downside is that I would have skipped Steven Wilson if I had known this was happening, but both Roine and Hasse seemed to make it clear that there would be only Rosfest and the Canadian festival and that was it for North America this year.  I hadn't planned to spend that much money, what with the "wife" (we're not married, though we might as well be) wanting a cruise this summer or fall.  Luckily, I think I'll be able to swing it all, thanks to a hefty tax return from Uncle Sam.  Anyway, I'm totally psyched that I'll get to do both, in the space of less than a week!  Better get me some new ear plugs I guess........
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:28
I say, bring on a double album! The so-called filler is a big reason why those double albums are so great.  It adds diversity, and a short, transitional song can be a bit of comedown/breather after a long proggy track.  I think the last two albums, while both good, suffered a bit over the long haul by not having enough diversity.  It was like full-on prog from start to finish (even the shorter songs sounded very prog), and without the extra treats and decorations that often make their albums so unique and (again) diverse.  Those need to come back. 

Plus, in the case of the last two albums, both very long songs fell under the category of merely being good, so it's almost like, when they keep it short and simple, yet still thrown on one super long song, if you don't absolutely love that song, the album as a whole isn't gonna kick your ass.  To make a comparison, I will point to Unfold the Future.  The Truth Will Set You Free is a good song, but not great.  But take that away and there is still like 90+ minutes of music (!!), much of which I love way more than The Truth..., so it is like a little bit of everything for everyone. 

Edited by Biff Tannen - April 04 2013 at 16:31
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:33
Spring is in the air.
This is when I start loving music (even more than I do during the colder months). TFK may start to creep into my listening cycle soon. Big smile
john-westover View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john-westover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:48
best band on the planet
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 21:26
Originally posted by john-westover john-westover wrote:

best band on the planet

Welcome John! You're in good company.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 06:06
TFK's output has been prodigious - but some of the doubles do suffer from much weaker tracks outside the absolute toblerone stonking epics....
GOD is now officially my No one FK track - and anybody who disagrees with that FACTOID will cause me to bloomingwell brindle with indignation.....Smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 06:24
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Nektar - Recycled - is that a good CD?

Absolutely.  Go buy it.  Make sure you get the 2002 or so remaster...

Maybe the most underated album of all time...
Hmm - An english band - that has produced 12 Studio albums from 1971 - 2012...wonder how come I've never had these brought to my attention - Tom would hate them - Double mellotrons I see - no mention pf a saxophonist - looks like I may go for a litle toe in the water - "A tab in the Ocean" is the highest rated ?? Or should I go for the compilation - Nektar....Hope they blow my gruddies off....coz thats a helluva back catalogue to catch up on...

Edited by M27Barney - April 05 2013 at 06:25
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 06:37

GOD is now officially my No one FK track - and anybody who disagrees with that FACTOID will cause me to bloomingwell brindle with indignation.....Smile

Well I agree with you for one Wink.

Another thing you're right about is AOM's The Black Forest.  I listened to that for the first time on the way to work this morning and Rob is spot on - this is stellar, much better than the first two, much more proper full-on prog.  I suppose it's possible it just caught me in a good listening mood and flattered a little but I don't think so.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:43
Originally posted by Biff Tannen Biff Tannen wrote:

I say, bring on a double album! The so-called filler is a big reason why those double albums are so great.  It adds diversity, and a short, transitional song can be a bit of comedown/breather after a long proggy track.  I think the last two albums, while both good, suffered a bit over the long haul by not having enough diversity.  It was like full-on prog from start to finish (even the shorter songs sounded very prog), and without the extra treats and decorations that often make their albums so unique and (again) diverse.  Those need to come back. 

Plus, in the case of the last two albums, both very long songs fell under the category of merely being good, so it's almost like, when they keep it short and simple, yet still thrown on one super long song, if you don't absolutely love that song, the album as a whole isn't gonna kick your ass.  To make a comparison, I will point to Unfold the Future.  The Truth Will Set You Free is a good song, but not great.  But take that away and there is still like 90+ minutes of music (!!), much of which I love way more than The Truth..., so it is like a little bit of everything for everyone. 

I totally agree with this, with the exception that The Truth is one of my top 5 FK epics and is great without question.  However, I think I like Devil's Playground just a bit more.  Of course, UTF is their best album overall, so there is a lot there to love! 

Stardust I would only remove a song or two.  Flower Power I could do without most of CD2, but since it's there, I'll say it's still pretty enjoyable.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:44
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Well I agree with you for one Wink.

Another thing you're right about is AOM's The Black Forest.  I listened to that for the first time on the way to work this morning and Rob is spot on - this is stellar, much better than the first two, much more proper full-on prog.  I suppose it's possible it just caught me in a good listening mood and flattered a little but I don't think so.

GOD is my favorite prog epic OF ALL TIME.  So, yeah, I agree Big smile
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 10:36

TFK's output has been prodigious - but some of the doubles do suffer from much weaker tracks outside the absolute toblerone stonking epics....

I agree! I agree!    
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 10:49
Yes, dissing Truth Will Set You Free is anathema here. :)

I like the interludes too, especially those on Stardust how they integrate the musical theme of the album.

As far as AoM goes, I initially liked the first one, but its not holding up. Some of the songs are great, but Nad can be more flamboyant than I prefer. Especially his goofy spoken word stuff. I need to post a video of I saw of Nad wearing this feather vest with no shirt. I just can't take take that seriously or ironically. HFMC is not holding up either. Now UtF, I can listen to that every day.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 11:40
The Truth Will Set You Free is enjoyable, and has some absolutely sick bass playing in it, but it doesn't have that wow factor me.  Plus, if I am gonna listen to a song for 30 minutes, the ending had better be totally awesome - you need that payoff to justify the length - and it just doesn't have that, especially when compared to the totally majestic, incredible endings of other long songs like Devil's Playground, I Am the Sun, Garden of Dreams and Stardust We Are. To me, The Truth... is similar to Numbers and Love Is the Only Answer in that they are good songs, but not great, and I just don't listen to them very often because why spend 24-30 minutes on a song that is ultimately going leave me a bit hollow at the end. But hey, not every epic they do cannot be totally awesome, right? 

Edited by Biff Tannen - April 05 2013 at 11:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 11:45
Ranking their 20-minute plus songs/suites: 

1. Garden of Dreams
2. I Am the Sun
3. Stardust We Are
4. Devil's Playground
5. Monsters and Men 
6. The Truth Will Set You Free
7. Numbers 
8. Love Is the Only Answer

Love Supreme, which is 16 seconds shy of 20 minutes, would be 6th (knocking the bottom 3 all down another spot). 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 11:56
Haven't listened to the band much recently, but off memory:

1. Garden of Dreams
2. The Truth Will Set You Free
3. I Am the Sun
4. Stardust We Are
5. Devil's Playground
6. Love Is The Only Answer
7. Numbers
8. Humanizzimo
9. Monsters & Men
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 12:36
Hmmm, this will go against the grain at times:

1)  I am the Sun
2)  Stardust We Are
3)  The Truth Will Set you Free
4)  Numbers
5)  Humanizzimo
6)  Garden of Dreams
7)  Love is the Only Answer
8)  Devil's Playground
9)  Monsters and Men

Yeah, for me Garden of Dreams is great but a bit much, the ones above it are greater.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 13:14
GOD is in fact FAR TOO SHORT....I reckon...you can never have TOO much of a GOOD thing....
I can now see why Tom was more seduced by the dark side of Swedish music.....short catchy tunes...none of your tedious go on for a whole year like a test match....for Tom.....Tongue
The 60+ minute epic is the ultimate progressive signature - WE WANT MORE.....
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 13:24

GOD is in fact FAR TOO SHORT....I reckon...you can never have TOO much of a GOOD thing....
I can now see why Tom was more seduced by the dark side of Swedish music.....short catchy tunes...none of your tedious go on for a whole year like a test match....for Tom.....Tongue
The 60+ minute epic is the ultimate progressive signature - WE WANT MORE.....

IKEA by Night is the pinnacle of Flower King songs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 320321322323324 486>