Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 442443444445446 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 07:40
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I'm confused about Kaipa vs. Kaipa De Capo.  Roine says he's playing with the entire original band.  So who's in the other Kaipa?  Anyone know?

That was confusing to me too.  The original keyboardist is still in Kaipa, not Kaipa De Capo.  As far as I know, the keyboardist in Kaipa De Capa was never in the original Kaipa.  Neither was Stolt's brother, who is the vocalist (the guys who was vocalist from the 3rd album on of original Kaipa is not in either band).  So yeah, it appears that Roine, the bassist and drummer are the only original members (I think the bassist wasn't on all the early Kaipa albums either).

So I don't really know why he made it sound like they had all the original members when they clearly don't.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 07:46
Originally posted by carlmarx38 carlmarx38 wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

........ most I've seen are saying it's the best thing Anderson has put out since Magnification (or even earlier)

Currently the Anderson/Stolt album has a rating of 4.15 based on 61 ratings. If it were allowed to be listed in the "Top Albums of 2016" listings (which it isn't because it isn't considered a Prog album but "Prog Related") it would currently be ranked about 5th.  Roine Stolt is the main producer of the album, and he organized all the musicians who played on it. Although the original demos were from Jon, the songs were changed so much, that at the end of the day, Stolt contributed fully to at least half of the writing of each track.

It isn't a Jon solo album, contrary to what the administrators of Prog Archives might have you believe.

Yeah, the prog-related tag is ridiculous.  An obvious bias indicating they don't care for it.  If Marillion is still considered a prog band, then this album is most certainly prog, more so than recent Marillion, that's for sure.

I see the album is now listed as it's own entity (Anderson/Stolt) and is listed as Symphonic Prog, which I think is exactly what it is.  So that is good.

Personally, I'm loving the album and think it's the best thing either of them has done in a while.  In Jon's case, since Keys, in Roine's case since TSoNE or possibly the last Agents album (I like the last two FK albums, but I find them a pretty drastic step down from almost all their previous work).

I do wish there were more instrumental parts and solos, but Roine was working to help Jon achieve his vision so I think the vocals were given precedence.  There has been talk from both of them about working together again, probably in late 2017, so hopefully that will be a true collaboration where Roine will get musical input and it will be a combination of their visions for the music.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 18:33
My favorite albums of The Flower Kings in order of preference 
"Back in the World of Adventures"," Retropolis"," Stardust we are" and "Banks of Eden". 
I also like very much of Ronie Stolt album "The Flower King"
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 08:18
what do you think about the " Anderson/Stolt" project album....
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 08:39
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

A breath of fresh air. Something uplifting for troubled times.
I would rate it as Anderson's second best effort outside of Yes (behind Olias).
There is a real Flower Kings feel to the music, although it will take a while for me to place it in perspective.

I gave it 4 stars in my review, but it has a good chance of moving up to 5 (I am extremely stingy with the 5).
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 23:58
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

A breath of fresh air. Something uplifting for troubled times.
I would rate it as Anderson's second best effort outside of Yes (behind Olias).
There is a real Flower Kings feel to the music, although it will take a while for me to place it in perspective.

I gave it 4 stars in my review, but it has a good chance of moving up to 5 (I am extremely stingy with the 5).

yes its a reality concept within modern day times of events which having now happening but with a as you said an uplifting and yes a very TFK music feel to it. on the first listen I in my review it was 4.5 nearly now it is a  "FIVE" a stonking slab of progressive rock................

Music Is Live

<
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 13:19
Any of you guys heard the new Karmakanic album yet? I've only listened to it twice, but wow! Fantastic stuff, the opening epic is absolutely sublime. Easily the best new symphonic album I've heard so far this year.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 14:43
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Any of you guys heard the new Karmakanic album yet? I've only listened to it twice, but wow! Fantastic stuff, the opening epic is absolutely sublime. Easily the best new symphonic album I've heard so far this year.

Roj, its on the to listen to list lol...

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 09:11

Yeah, listened to it a couple of times now, really enjoying it (much more than the last one).  The epic is quite outstanding, especially Jonas' kids singing in 7/8 !

Yeah, overall I'm liking it a lot, though I prefer the Anderson/Stolt generally (both are great in their own way, but I find myself reaching for A/S more than the new Karmakanic).

Other new album by a new to me band is the latest Bent Knee album, really quite blown away by it.  Not sure how people here would like it, as it's not really symphonic prog at all, but I think it's great.

Also enjoying the new Andy Tillison album which is quite varied (as usual) and has a track on it that is very reminiscent of TFK's.......more so than anything I've ever heard from him, even The Tangent stuff.

Edited by infandous - August 12 2016 at 09:12
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 21:36

Yeah, listened to it a couple of times now, really enjoying it (much more than the last one).  The epic is quite outstanding, especially Jonas' kids singing in 7/8 !

Yeah, overall I'm liking it a lot, though I prefer the Anderson/Stolt generally (both are great in their own way, but I find myself reaching for A/S more than the new Karmakanic).

Other new album by a new to me band is the latest Bent Knee album, really quite blown away by it.  Not sure how people here would like it, as it's not really symphonic prog at all, but I think it's great.

Also enjoying the new Andy Tillison album which is quite varied (as usual) and has a track on it that is very reminiscent of TFK's.......more so than anything I've ever heard from him, even The Tangent stuff.
sound like I`m in need of pushing Karmakanic to next to be played...Clap

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 09:53
So this finally showed up in my mailbox...after RadiantRecords delayed my order for I don't know why according to Amy @ Radiant...That was issue #1, issue #2 is I ordered the blue vinyl version..got the black, waiting for her to respond on that one.

Anyhow, listening last night so far I am liking what I hear. The first 15min of Invention of Knowledge is great!! After that for me it loses direction and starts to wind down some weird road, really feels like they wanted to make a 23:00 song

It really feels like a TFK album, for most of it......All n all I like it, we'll see how it fares after a few months.

Alex_Buckner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex_Buckner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 10:53
Ditto. I had the same feeling after 15 min. For all the lenghty tracks, the album is really a whole not so far from a classical symphony...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 16:38
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So this finally showed up in my mailbox...after RadiantRecords delayed my order for I don't know why according to Amy @ Radiant...That was issue #1, issue #2 is I ordered the blue vinyl version..got the black, waiting for her to respond on that one.

Anyhow, listening last night so far I am liking what I hear. The first 15min of Invention of Knowledge is great!! After that for me it loses direction and starts to wind down some weird road, really feels like they wanted to make a 23:00 song

It really feels like a TFK album, for most of it......All n all I like it, we'll see how it fares after a few months.

Ok...after several spins, I do like this album quite a lot! Side 3/4 are excellent, Everybody Heals and Know are outstanding.
Knowing is the only track I tend to wander on and the last 10:00 of Invention of Knowledge.

Very very good.......
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 13:39
I have the Anderson/Stolt album, and it's very much a pleasant pastiche of Yes themes.

I would like to get some of the Flower Kings stuff, but there's an awful lot of it and none of it is ever in the shops.

Do they have something like an 'original album series' package, compiling parts of their ouevre? These little boxes are cheap and cheerful, but very good value (i have the Tull Mahavishnu and DT ones).

Edited by Ghost Whistler - August 22 2016 at 13:40
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 15:41

Ok...after several spins, I do like this album quite a lot! Side 3/4 are excellent, Everybody Heals and Know are outstanding.
Knowing is the only track I tend to wander on and the last 10:00 of Invention of Knowledge.

Very very good.......

Funny, my preference is for the first two epics, but I love the whole thing really so it's just a matter of degrees.  It's kind of stunning how much emotional impact this album has had on me, it took me by surprise.

The new Karmakanic is impressive, but doesn't have the emotional impact I get from A/S (and Flower Kings).  Still, it's well worth hearing and the epic is fantastic.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 15:45
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

I have the Anderson/Stolt album, and it's very much a pleasant pastiche of Yes themes.

I would like to get some of the Flower Kings stuff, but there's an awful lot of it and none of it is ever in the shops.

Do they have something like an 'original album series' package, compiling parts of their ouevre? These little boxes are cheap and cheerful, but very good value (i have the Tull Mahavishnu and DT ones).

I don't think they do, but it sounds like they should.  They do have a compilation CD of sorts, but IMO it lacks most of their best work.  It's all shorter numbers, the longest being in the 10 minute range (and only a couple of those I think).  It's called "The Road Back Home".  Also, the songs are remixed and remastered and some have changes in instrumentation, guitar solos and vocals.  It's a decent introduction I suppose, but misses their best stuff.......the epics!!! Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 16:19

Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

I don't think they do, but it sounds like they should.  They do have a compilation CD of sorts, but IMO it lacks most of their best work.  It's all shorter numbers, the longest being in the 10 minute range (and only a couple of those I think).  It's called "The Road Back Home".  Also, the songs are remixed and remastered and some have changes in instrumentation, guitar solos and vocals.  It's a decent introduction I suppose, but misses their best stuff.......the epics!!! Clap
Yes, that's why I don't buy compilations. The Original Album Classics series gives you 5 complete albums for a really good price. Obviously the packaging isnt' the same, but it's a decent compromise. I would like to get Flowerpower, Retropolis, Unfold the Future and possibly Stardust. I haven't listened to much beyond that, except Space Revolver which was ok. Their first album is ok as well, but not as good as those.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 02:11
This is my 3000th post on PA.  Thought I'd best post it here on my home page Wink.

^ The Anderson/Stolt vinyl looks nice (not that I'm a vinyl buyer).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 02:16
Stardust We Are is my favourite when it comes to these guys, though I haven't heard all their albums.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 02:37
Flowerpower is the one album Amazon doesn't have in stock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 442443444445446 486>