Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173174 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 12:04
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

YES - Pure Groovin low end satisfaction!

Huh?  See, I wouldn't use any of those words to describe Chris Squire's bass style.  I've only recently gotten to Yes despite years of trying and I'm pretty certain that the reason it took me so long it my lack of appreciation for Mr. Squire's playing.  Please don't get me wrong, I can admire his musical ability, I just don't like his style.  I think he spends way to much time in the high register and he could stand to groove a bit more.

what's ironic about the 'low end satisfaction' is that squire turns his bass all the way down and the treble all the way up and plays it like a guitar.  i like it that way, you can hear what the bass is doing.  

Actually, I read that on album at least, Squire would overdub all his bass lines on electric guitar, which is how he claims he got his distinctive sound.  I do notice that live, there is less treble to his bass than on the studio albums.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 12:14
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I have it all, I can honestly say.  Well, okay, I don't have the first couple Stolt solo albums, but from what I've heard I don't really have any desire to have them.  Same with Fantasia.  Of course, those are all long out of print and I have never heard any suggestion they will ever be available again.

Oh, I also still don't have the last Karmakanic, but I will get that at some point in the near future.

But aside from those, I have all Kaipa with Stolt (and some without), all Tangent, all FK (including fan club CD's and unofficial and official boots), all Tomas Bodin, all Jonas, all Stolt, and the Hasse album.    Also all TA, including the Stolt mix of the first album.

There may be more I'm missing............I know of at least one album that Stolt plays lead on one track that I don't have (can't remember the name or who it is at the moment).

okay, so if you had to choose just one from that collection, what would it be?

i'm way behind on tangent and kaipa and karmakanic and agents of mercy :-)

That's a tough one.  I guess if you want Roine, go with Agents.  If you want Jonas, go with either Karmakanic or The Tangent "A Place In The Queue".  My favorite Karmakanic is easily Wheel Of Life, but Who's The Boss is good too and easier to find for a reasonable price.

Personally, I like the Tangent albums after Roine left quite a bit more than the ones with him on (though, I do think the guitar solos suffered with him gone, but the writing and music got much better and more interesting).

Also, as I've mentioned before, neither Roine nor Andy were happy with The World That We Drive Through album.  I just asked Andy about this again recently (on the Tangent Yahoo group), and he confirmed that it is the album he is the most unhappy with, though he still likes (and the band still plays) the title track and The Winning Game.

Kaipa is probably, for me, the least essential, though the 70's albums are good and interesting to hear just how much Roine's style was already apparent, even though he was in his late teens and early 20's.  The "new" Kaipa was good on the first two albums, but has become very repetitive and uninteresting to me since Roine left.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 12:53

Well, in the USA the innocent most definitely need a lawyer and defense.  Just look at all the death row inmates that are exonerated when they are proven innocent (not to mention the ones who never got the chance that we don't know about).

Oops, you got me with that.  Stopped dead in my tracks, am I.Confused

Hmm, I need a more clever plan to get you next time.Angry

But, back to TFK...

Can you name these better songs(around the same time length, please) than The Chicken Farmer Song?

In no particular order:

The Man Who Walked With Kings
Compassion
Rhythm Of The Sea
The Melting Pot
Corruption
Underdog
A Kings Prayer
Grand Old World
The Blade Of Cain
Hit Me With A Hit
Selfconsuming Fire
Touch My Heaven

All of these I like better than Chicken Farmer.

MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 22:07
Check out my review for Space Revolver:

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 22:26
I always thought people didn't like Chicken Farmer Song. LOL
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 07:55
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Oh great, there's another two pages of debate on the song ;)
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:51

I thought I remember many people bashing the song on the reviews page for the album.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 11:03
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I thought I remember many people bashing the song on the reviews page for the album.

No, that was just me LOL

Did you see my explanation of who is on the Stardust cover on the bottom of the previous page?  Hope it clears it up for you......they do all look different now than they did then, so I understand the confusion.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 11:04

Maybe they will have Chicken Farmer Song 2 on the new album LOL
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 14:02
i'm not a fan of farm/livestock imagery in music.  (so i don't care for chicken farmer or that song on rainmaker that refers to a woman's mouth like a horse???  :)

anyway, went to see bruce springsteen last sunday night.  sitting in that giant arena, i couldn't help imagining TFK rocking out there.  would be so cool.

also, interesting to hear how squire recorded his baselines.  i think he uses Tarrus pedals live to get that bass sustain at some points.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 20:00

Here I thought we were over this blatant Chicken Farmer Song hating Wink  Oh dear, oh my, there is still much work to be done here. Perhaps we can best proceed by clarifying this further:

People who don't like the Chicken Farmer Song:

1. Actually love the song but are afraid(for many reasons really) to say so.
2. Had very very very very very naughty childhoods.(Excessive bed wetting & nose picking, and not eating their vegetables...)
3. At one time contemplated a name change to something ending in "o" like Sergio, Horatio or Hidalgo, but decided  against it and bought a small condo in Orlando, Fla instead.
4. Do not get enough fiber in their diet.
5. When they get drunk they love to hug their buddy and call each other "milqtoast" or "skippy".
6. Eat too much red meat and need to schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

If you fit into any of these categories(and I suspect there are several here who match 3 or 4 of the above conditions)
the remedy is quite simple.

Contact someone who has a half-decent stereo and a copy of TFK Space Revolver CD and blast The Chicken Farmer Song. four time per hour for 6 hours straight.  You will be on the road to recovery.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Good Evening
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 21:16

Here I thought we were over this blatant Chicken Farmer Song hating Wink  Oh dear, oh my, there is still much work to be done here. Perhaps we can best proceed by clarifying this further:

2. Had very very very very very naughty childhoods.(Excessive bed wetting & nose picking, and not eating their vegetables...)
3. At one time contemplated a name change to something ending in "o" like Sergio, Horatio or Hidalgo, but decided  against it and bought a small condo in Orlando, Fla instead.
5. When they get drunk they love to hug their buddy and call each other "milqtoast" or "skippy".
6. Eat too much red meat and need to schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

If you fit into any of these categories(and I suspect there are several here who match 3 or 4 of the above conditions)

Contact someone who has a half-decent stereo and a copy of TFK Space Revolver CD and blast The Chicken Farmer Song. four time per hour for 6 hours straight.  You will be on the road to recovery.

Good Evening

or the road to suicide...LOL   you're one of a kind DM.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 07:07

Good Evening

This is why you crack me up on a regular basis my friend.

So if you're ambivalent about The Chicken Farmer Song, does this mean that I had only mild amounts of naughtiness in my childhood (more the hanging out underneath the bleachers and less of the bed wetting)?  I will admit, I did at one point in my life consider changing my name to "Lucky" (granted, I was five at the time).  
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 08:20

Good Evening

LOL Very nice.  None of those apply to me.  I think you'll have to keep working on your (fatally flawed) theory.  As mentioned already, I think your treatment would result in me absolutely hating the song.........as opposed to thinking it's just okay.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 14:36

Good Evening

LOL Very nice.  None of those apply to me.  I think you'll have to keep working on your (fatally flawed) theory.  As mentioned already, I think your treatment would result in me absolutely hating the song.........as opposed to thinking it's just okay.

Mr Dear infandous,

As you may recall from earlier in this thread, your diagnoses falls under category Number 1. We won't specify the specific reasons, as Dr. Moore takes patient confidentially quite seriously. Wink  Yet, it does seem apparent that you are still in the denial stage. LOL
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 14:50

Good Evening

This is why you crack me up on a regular basis my friend.

So if you're ambivalent about The Chicken Farmer Song, does this mean that I had only mild amounts of naughtiness in my childhood (more the hanging out underneath the bleachers and less of the bed wetting)?  I will admit, I did at one point in my life consider changing my name to "Lucky" (granted, I was five at the time).  

While Dr. Moore does not believe one can actually be "ambivalent" to The Chicken Farmer Song you do seem to be asymptomatic(not having symptomsWink) at this time, though you have brought up some concerns.  Can you please give more details of this "mild amounts of naughtiness" in your past?  So Dr. Moore may provide a final prognosis.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 06:52

Can you please give more details of this "mild amounts of naughtiness" in your past?  So Dr. Moore may provide a final prognosis.

Not in a public forum.  Wink
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 09:13

Good Evening

Mr Dear infandous,

As you may recall from earlier in this thread, your diagnoses falls under category Number 1. We won't specify the specific reasons, as Dr. Moore takes patient confidentially quite seriously. Wink  Yet, it does seem apparent that you are still in the denial stage. LOL

Oh, I think we know who is in denial here.  I'll give you a hint:  it's not me Wink
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 09:21
I know this doesn't have anything to do with the Chicken Farmer Song ClapLOL....................
but I've finally checked out the latest Dream Theater album.

I guess on the good side it doesn't have "growls" and the lyrics don't make me cringe or remind me of poor 5th grade attempts at short stories.  The skill of the players, is, as always, impeccable.

However, I think Portnoy was right..........they REALLY need a break.  This has to be the most generic thing I've ever heard from them.  I suppose die hard fans might be happy that they have focused on what made them so well known, but it all comes across as very bland and flat.  Sure there are some crazy instrumental sections with lots of notes and weird time signature changes, but I just don't hear anything ever remotely new or interesting.

I suppose I could say the same about Neal Morse and it would be more or less true, but for some reason his "formula" works really well for me.  The Dream Theater one doesn't seem to.  Hearing this makes me appreciate the previous 3 albums more, because at least they tried different things (even if they weren't particularly successful much of the time).

Anyway, I've only listened once all the way through, so I'll give it more listens.  It's certainly not bad, and I have to say that LaBrie sounds much better than he has in a long time, so that's another plus I guess.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 12:35
[QUOTE=infandous]I know this doesn't have anything to do with the Chicken Farmer Song ClapLOL....................
but I've finally checked out the latest Dream Theater album.

[/QUOTE

thanks for the review.  for years i wanted to 'get into' DT.  they came to town last year so, on a whim, i went out and got the latest album and went to the show.  it was great.  i also just 'let' myself dig the album.  they do have some hair metal tendencies, but damn i just love their melodies and JLB's voice.  i found the album to be very memorable with some awesome prog parts.  one issue is that it is mastered too loud and the sound is compressed.  no way can i listen to the whole thing in one setting.  also, Myoung is so low in the mix.  so i like it, but i can see where you're coming from.  

fwiw, i picked up the last portnoy DT album and do not like it.  i love the song, Best of Times.  very rush influenced but the lyrics are just...Confused  i don't think i'll be a completist with them.  their stuff is just too dense, but i plan on getting
 some more of them in the future.  the samples for Octovarian sound pretty good.

oh, and on neal morse.  i tried listening to Testimony I.  oh, it's just not clicking.  i'm not a fan of the rock opera stuff.  gonna try some other ones though.  i love the second disc of Testimony II, but the first is just not my thing.

Edited by zumacraig - March 22 2012 at 12:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173174 486>