Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 12:16
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

How do you have it? I assume you didn't download it.

I own it. Special edition. My local shop usually stocks new releases on the shelves real early, I got it Thursday, it's not supposed to be out until Tuesday (in the US). Shall I post a pic?

I've seen some people at the TFK Yahoo group and at the Garden of dreams forum already got theirs too, so I was curious to see if anyone here got their copy yet.
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 12:31
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

How do you have it? I assume you didn't download it.

I own it. Special edition. My local shop usually stocks new releases on the shelves real early, I got it Thursday, it's not supposed to be out until Tuesday (in the US). Shall I post a pic?

I've seen some people at the TFK Yahoo group and at the Garden of dreams forum already got theirs too, so I was curious to see if anyone here got their copy yet.

Ahh, jealous. I'm not really into physical copies because I simply don't have the money for them, so I'm going to spring for it the moment it shows up on iTunes (which will hopefully be either Monday or Tuesday). If I had any good music stores around me, though, I would totally get it now.

Edited by Anthony H. - June 16 2012 at 12:31
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 12:37
Harry Hood, give Numbers some time, I personally think it's amazing, but I know how it is with TFK epics; sometimes they take a little while to reveal their greatness.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 15:06

Oh boy. Well, at least you'll only talk about 2 songs instead of just one. Tongue

What do you mean? Shocked

I also talk about the 5.1 mix of Elton John & The Brown Dirt Cowboy to anybody who will listen!.Approve    

Oh, and in my spare time I give lectures on side 2 of ELP's Tarkus. Wink

Its great we get the new Flower Kings CD, that means that another live DVD release is not too far behind!
Maybe on the next live DVD they will play.......

........The Chicken Farmer Song!   Cool   Cool    Cool
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 19:31
i got to hear a promo that the local store got.  Numbers is good.  the production is very warm and our new drummer...well, i love him!  very tight and full.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 20:01
Numbers grew on me a little bit. The "Down, Down, Down" section made me chuckle. (being an obvious reference to Collins-era Genesis)

The biggest problem with Banks of Eden is it was pretty much impossible for it to live up to expectations. The Sum of No Evil was pretty much their best album since Unfold. It had everything. Zoltan, Ulf, fantastic upbeat songwriting. It was a wonderful return to form in every way.

Theres also the fact that they basically got right back into it after all that work on side projects. All of them have been fantastic, but you can feel their influence sort of seeping into TFK in a weird way. It sounds less like a Flower Kings album and more like an Agents of Karmakanic's Dog Companion album.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 20:51
Agents of Mercy never sounded this good to my ears. I know what you mean about it being impossible to liive up to expectations; I tried my best not to have any. It would have been nice to have some sax, for more color.
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 04:10

Ahh, jealous. I'm not really into physical copies because I simply don't have the money for them, so I'm going to spring for it the moment it shows up on iTunes (which will hopefully be either Monday or Tuesday). If I had any good music stores around me, though, I would totally get it now.
ditto... have pre-ordered on 7 Digital and am waiting for the clock to strike midnight so that I can download it !

In the meantime I am working my way though their back-catalog.
I only have "The Sum of...", "Space Revolver", "Back in the world.." and "Meet the.." in full but that makes for plenty listening!

Edited by wjohnd - June 17 2012 at 04:15
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 09:49
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

ditto... have pre-ordered on 7 Digital and am waiting for the clock to strike midnight so that I can download it !

In the meantime I am working my way though their back-catalog.
I only have "The Sum of...", "Space Revolver", "Back in the world.." and "Meet the.." in full but that makes for plenty listening!

wow...that's TFK overload :-)

i love Agents of Kamakanic Dog Companions!  i don't think the band would survive if it wasn't a group effort at this point.  i actually prefer everyone's input.  as i said before, if they each brought their best tune to the session, we'd have killer album like the one we haver here.  i'd love to see a song written by the whole band with lyrics by roine, an atmospheric middle part by tomas, riffs by hasse, a flanged out drum solo by felix, and some arranging and composing with roine and jonas.  that's be cool.
Smile
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 12:40

Agents of Mercy never sounded this good to my ears. I know what you mean about it being impossible to liive up to expectations; I tried my best not to have any. It would have been nice to have some sax, for more color.

Agents of Mercy sucked ass and balls.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 13:01
Banks of Eden sounds pretty good this first listen. Gonna have to let it sink in though.
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 16:41
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

The Sum of No Evil was pretty much their best album since Unfold. It had everything. Zoltan, Ulf, fantastic upbeat songwriting. It was a wonderful return to form in every way.
Not for me.

I had massively unrealistic expectations for Sum Of No Evil and was disappointed with it. It remains my least favourite album of theirs, in fact I played it the other day and it just leaves me cold, apart from the last track which at least had more of the elements of earlier TFK material that is far more appealing.

In contrast, I have low expectations for Banks of Eden in the same way as I've got for England in the European Football Championships.

Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by both Wink

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 17:46
Anyone know where i can hear some of Banks of Eden. I'm very interested in it. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 19:16
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Have you tried the internet?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 21:33
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Well, I can't tell you to do anything illegal, so I won't, nor do I condone it.

Besides, the album is technically not out until tomorrow, or Tuesday for us Americans.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 07:36
been listening to the first Tangent CD.  so great.  ironically, it's dynamic range is lacking.  from what i've heard of BoE, seems to be quite warm and dynamic.  also finally got the first 'new' kaipa cd to keep me busy while waiting for my copy of BoE.

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 07:51

I pre-ordered the 2 cd version from Amazon a few weeks back.  £13. I've not received it. Yet.  It appears most of us regulars are still waiting patiently too.

Just checked Amazon and it's not been dispatched yet either Angry.

Darkshade, your store really had it early didn't they?  You got a great deal there too. 

I'm trying to keep my expectations down.  Like Nov, I'm not mad on SONE overall, although I have to say One More Time and Trading My Soul are magical.

As long as the new album arrives before weekend I'll be happy.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:07
Well, I'm not getting mine until this weekend, from Greg Walker at Nearfest.  No idea how much I'll be paying for it, but his prices are generally quite reasonable.  I wish I could afford the $30 to just order direct from the band, as I'd rather they get the money.  I suspect that buying it for $13 or $14 from a store or distributer results in Roine and the boys getting a small pittance compared to what the should be getting (though I assume bulk discounts are the reason they can sell them so cheap).  Of course, Greg Walker is a distributor, technically, who probably isn't buying directly from the band either (probably direct from InsideOut).  Also, from what Roine and Jonas have said on various forums, it sounds like they got more pre-orders than usual, so hopefully they'll make out well regardless.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:09
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

been listening to the first Tangent CD.  so great.  ironically, it's dynamic range is lacking.  from what i've heard of BoE, seems to be quite warm and dynamic.  also finally got the first 'new' kaipa cd to keep me busy while waiting for my copy of BoE.

It seems like dynamic range is coming back in vogue, thanks to people like Steve Wilson and Roine.  In the late 90's and early 00's, it seemed like most CD's were produced such that there was virtually no dynamic range ("quiet" sections and "loud" sections having the same volume across the CD).  I'm so glad this is changing.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:16
Listening to Banks Of Eden again, I think the 4th time. This might be the best listen so far, as I'm finally starting to notice the little subtleties and transitions. "Numbers" is powerful. I'm starting to get certain sections stuck in my head.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 486>