Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 314315316317318 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 19:18
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am not disagreeing with your assessment that that album sounded like Rush, I just don't remember thinking that when I listened to it, but I've not listened to it in a while.  It will be interesting listening to it to see if it sounds like Rush or not.

I bought the new 2112 5.1 mix.  I listened to the CD on my Blu-Ray player and it sounded really good, but when I put the Blu-Ray in my Blu-Ray player my Blu-Ray player froze up and nothing happened.  I am going to have to try it again when I get the chance.  I may have to figure out how to go on-line with my Blu-Ray player and run an update or something.  I have never done that before, but I remember reading that that was something that needed to be done from time to time.  I'm just not sure if I will be able to figure out how to do that or not. 

Just for the record, my post said that others have said Mystery sounds like RUSH, not me.  But if that gets you to give Mystery a 2nd try, then cool!Tongue

Yes, I have the 5.1 bluray of 2112 also, but I find the mix to be a real let down.  Nothing like the recent ELP or Tull or Genesis 5.1mixes... The back channels have the same mix as the front but with way  too much reverb....

I have heard of players freezing with certain discs.  I think you may need to upgrade the firmware on your player.
All this different 5.1 tech sucks, the industry makes it so hard for us to simply enjoy the music!
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 19:40
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

All this Steven Wilson talk made me buy tickets to his show in Pittsburgh on April 30.  Not really a consolation for not seeing the Flower Kings, but still something for me to look forward to.

I did discover that I can buy tickets JUST for the Flower Kings at Rosfest (well, them and whatever band plays before them).  I don't think I can though, partly because of the date (have my son that weekend) and partly because of the price (with all fees and everything, nearly $70 for a ticket.........I'm paying $10 less than that for two of us to see Wilson).  Plus, there are very few seats left, and what's left are not very good locations in the theater (though it's small so there aren't really any "bad" seats).

Just to clarify my stance, my thoughts on Steven Wilson are this:

1)  He writes a lot of depressing music that is too sad for me to listen to on a regular basis
2)  He relies waaaay too much on the Mellotron on "The Raven .  . "
3)  I think he was way to caught up in pretending to not be prog for years and trashed a lot of musicians that I really liked.  Honestly I hadn't head that he had ever apologized.  Frankly, I'm encouraged that he has done that, it shows a higher level of maturity.

Those are my criticisms of him, as silly as this sounds, none of this means that I don't like his music.  Truthfully, I liked Porcupine Tree better than the solo stuff, Barbiere really adds a lot of atmosphere, but there is no way that I'm going to miss Steven Wilson playing in Pittsburgh (Honestly, I didn't even know he was coming until now)

Gus, you wanna meet for dinner somewhere before the show, cause yeah, I don't wanna miss it.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 20:05
Dennis-

Thanks for the info on Mystery. Will check it out. Also, nice dig on Neil :)

Craig
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 22:55
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing Dennis, something to the effect of 'who the heck is Wilson to go and replicate the Crimson meets Genesis vibe when he was just giving Stolt a large amount of grief for not being original enough.  I'll be honest, The Raven sounds like a much bigger clone of 70's prog than anything done by The Flower Kings.  I guess, despite my general ambivalence for Tomas Bodin he does not sound like a seventies wanna be, he is very much his own keyboard player.

Yes, Wilson did refer to TFK's and TA as "the death of progressive rock", in an interview 8 YEARS AGO!!  Seriously, he apologized for the statements a couple of years ago, and has admitted that he likes prog and wants to make prog, using influences from the past.  Let it go people.

Personally, I would not say that Raven is no more, or less, derivative than any Flower Kings album.  It actually has far more than just Crimson influence, and is much less derivative than any Glass Hammer album I've ever heard (and I actually like some of them).......or Big Big Train, for that matter.  Still, it IS regressive.  But damn good for being that.

I understand not wanting to like Wilson, as I resisted for many years.  When I finally just sat down and gave an objective listen to some PTree stuff, I couldn't help but be impressed.  He certainly seems to be the guy that "real" prog fans love to hate.  Having said all that, the constant dark, moody, and depressing lyrics and atmospheres have gotta a bit old.  I wonder if he's even capable of writing positive, happy stuff?    (actually, he is......the song The Rest Will Flow is quite upbeat with very upbeat lyrics..........but it's the only one in his entire catalog like that that I've heard)

He does come off as rather arrogant, but considering he's been more successful than pretty much any modern prog artist on this site, I think he can be forgiven for thinking that he's doing something right.

@Roland113:  Great minds think alike is all I can say....

@Infandous: Re-read your post.  You seem to be aggreeing with us than disagreeing, kinda confusing...

"Let it go people"   WTF???Confused   Dude, in the USA we have this thing called the 1st Ammendment.  You've heard of it?Wink 8 years or not, Wilson made a very strong statement and I think people should live with & by their words, and yeah I read his other statement which was hardly an apology or clarification.  Plus there is an active thread about the matter AND we all love & support Roine and his lads whenever we can, so...  Let the cards fall where they may, I say.

You say:  "I understand not wanting to like Wilson..."  I don't get the context here.  Most of us love PT and suport his music.  I have bought most of his records & DVDs and I have seen PT twice live, I am just tired of his same old theme
of teenage futility, since I pay $$$ for his stuff, I think its natural to voice an opinion...Embarrassed  Lots of love here for SW, but he should be held accountable for doing the same crap over and over AND for being a copy-cat AFTER his very strong
judgement of other prog bands.  Live by the sword, die by the sword, life's a beach right???

Still love ya though.  You are one of the true kindred spirits here.  I hope you enjoy Steven Wilson in concert.  For me, he really shines live.  The two PT concerts I saw were fantastic!Clap

P.S.  Do you have Glass Hammer - If?

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis (I love using my condescending tone with people who are older than me WinkLOL )

While I was writing, I was thinking it was odd that I was defending Wilson.  If you read my Porcupine Tree reviews, you'll notice that I make special emphasis on my thought that they (and Wilson) are not really "progressive" at all.  I still think that's true.  So I guess I kept backtracking because I was thinking as I type about what I like and don't like about Wilson, and it all just kind of got mixed together.  Hope that makes some kind of sense.

When I wrote "let it go" it was a suggestion, not an order.  I'm not exactly sure how anything I write could possibly affect your, or anyone's, freedom of speech.  It's not like I'm going to come to your house and wipe your thoughts of all memory of Wilson's comments.........or will I?????Evil Smile

Yeah, when I read that interview 8 years ago (did I mention it was 8 years ago? Wink ), I was pretty ticked off at Wilson, and totally agreed with Stolt.  I still do (and said so in that thread, I believe).  I just have read (more than one) interviews with Wilson where he basically says that it was lame of him to say that but that he had his reasons and thinks they were valid but has a different view now. I just find it funny that, 8 years later, people are still up in arms about that interview (of course, on this site, there are also plenty that still agree with Wilson).  I'm sure for Wilson, it's the old "no publicity is bad publicity" view.   I love TFK's music, overall, more than his, always have always will.  But he makes great music now, IMO.  Musically, I like Raven a lot better than Banks, but both are very good albums.  Both, oddly enough, have very dark and depressing lyrics (probably the thing that bothers me most about Banks.......where is Roine's optimism?....it's one of the things that attracted me to them in the first place).

I have Glass Hammer's "If" album.  It's fun.  I really don't hear it, musically, as very much like Yes (okay, there are places where it's a lot like Yes).  Mainly it's the vocals that are a dead ringer for Anderson.  I guess there are just a lot of Yes cover band singers out there trying to do more stuff, while still imitating Anderson.  Or something like that.  I suspect  if anything is the "death of prog", it's going to be stuff like that.  But I'm an old school progger, so I can still enjoy it Big smile
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 22:58
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

All this Steven Wilson talk made me buy tickets to his show in Pittsburgh on April 30.  Not really a consolation for not seeing the Flower Kings, but still something for me to look forward to.

I did discover that I can buy tickets JUST for the Flower Kings at Rosfest (well, them and whatever band plays before them).  I don't think I can though, partly because of the date (have my son that weekend) and partly because of the price (with all fees and everything, nearly $70 for a ticket.........I'm paying $10 less than that for two of us to see Wilson).  Plus, there are very few seats left, and what's left are not very good locations in the theater (though it's small so there aren't really any "bad" seats).

Just to clarify my stance, my thoughts on Steven Wilson are this:

1)  He writes a lot of depressing music that is too sad for me to listen to on a regular basis
2)  He relies waaaay too much on the Mellotron on "The Raven .  . "
3)  I think he was way to caught up in pretending to not be prog for years and trashed a lot of musicians that I really liked.  Honestly I hadn't head that he had ever apologized.  Frankly, I'm encouraged that he has done that, it shows a higher level of maturity.

Those are my criticisms of him, as silly as this sounds, none of this means that I don't like his music.  Truthfully, I liked Porcupine Tree better than the solo stuff, Barbiere really adds a lot of atmosphere, but there is no way that I'm going to miss Steven Wilson playing in Pittsburgh (Honestly, I didn't even know he was coming until now)

Gus, you wanna meet for dinner somewhere before the show, cause yeah, I don't wanna miss it.

1 and 2 are not negatives at all for me.  3 really doesn't have anything to do with his music, so that doesn't deter me either (though as I said, I think he was wrong to do that).

I'll have to see about meeting.  We probably won't get up there much before doors open, but I'll let you know.  We might leave earlier and want to do that (for now we're thinking of cutting out of work maybe an hour early, to get there by 6:30 or 7........doors open at 7).  Either way we'll have to say hello!

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 05:42
Glasshammer's latest CD's are more like Yes than their older ones...thats for certain - I've got to be in a certain mood to listen to GH - listened to Darwins Radio last night - excellent prog-metal, also some of SB - X - also an excellent CD.
Heinz Baked Beans to y'alll............
COZ BEANZ MEANZ HEINZ....Tongue
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 08:24
Ahhh, Heinz, another great product of Pittsburgh.  We make the best beans here.

Gus, sounds cool, I'll drop you an IM with my cell phone number, if you have extra time, let me know.  If you guys get in early enough for dinner we could hit the Penn Brewery, great German food and Penn Beer brewed on site.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:09
DId the keyboard dude from Glass Hammer lose a lot of weight and shave his head?  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 12:53

Latest news from Hasse including some exciting news for our friends in LA ;)

I'm sorry to say that The Flower Kings won't be able to do a proper US tour this time. The reason for that is time. Now on friday we're going to enter the fantastic Fenix studios (yes we'll be recording over the Easter holiday and for many more days to come). Of course we'll still do RoSFest (as we're announced as headliners on friday May 3rd). 

It also got confirmed earlier today that we're going to make a concert together with Neal Morse Band + Transatlantic encore, in LA at the beautiful La Mirada Theater on May 7th. We'll give you info on tickets etc as soon as we have any. People in the LA area (or wherever you live), welcome to the show!

Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 17:51

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis (I love using my condescending tone with people who are older than me WinkLOL )

That's ok, the underwear you are wearing is also older than me. so I guess we are even.LOL

While I was writing, I was thinking it was odd that I was defending Wilson.  If you read my Porcupine Tree reviews, you'll notice that I make special emphasis on my thought that they (and Wilson) are not really "progressive" at all.  I still think that's true.  So I guess I kept backtracking because I was thinking as I type about what I like and don't like about Wilson, and it all just kind of got mixed together.  Hope that makes some kind of sense.

This explanation actually makes perfect sense, what happened?  They increased your meds to the proper dose?
Either way, keep it up.Wink  I enjoy chatting with you when I have at least a vague idea of what you are sayin!

When I wrote "let it go" it was a suggestion, not an order.  I'm not exactly sure how anything I write could possibly affect your, or anyone's, freedom of speech.  It's not like I'm going to come to your house and wipe your thoughts of all memory of Wilson's comments.........or will I?????Evil Smile

A "suggestion"..  Hmm... Perhaps we need to break out the Official Flower Kings Thread Suggestion Box?

Yeah, when I read that interview 8 years ago (did I mention it was 8 years ago? Wink ), I was pretty ticked off at Wilson, and totally agreed with Stolt.  I still do (and said so in that thread, I believe).  I just have read (more than one) interviews with Wilson where he basically says that it was lame of him to say that but that he had his reasons and thinks they were valid but has a different view now. I just find it funny that, 8 years later, people are still up in arms about that interview (of course, on this site, there are also plenty that still agree with Wilson).  I'm sure for Wilson, it's the old "no publicity is bad publicity" view.   I love TFK's music, overall, more than his, always have always will.  But he makes great music now, IMO.  Musically, I like Raven a lot better than Banks, but both are very good albums.  Both, oddly enough, have very dark and depressing lyrics (probably the thing that bothers me most about Banks.......where is Roine's optimism?....it's one of the things that attracted me to them in the first place).

Well, lots of us, (like meEmbarrassed) didn't see the quote until recently, here in the forum, yeah I guess we live in a "yahoo news" generation where we dig up some crap 20 years ago and then get our collective panties in a bunch
dissecting the old comment endlessly!

I have Glass Hammer's "If" album.  It's fun.  I really don't hear it, musically, as very much like Yes (okay, there are places where it's a lot like Yes).  Mainly it's the vocals that are a dead ringer for Anderson.  I guess there are just a lot of Yes cover band singers out there trying to do more stuff, while still imitating Anderson.  Or something like that.  I suspect  if anything is the "death of prog", it's going to be stuff like that.  But I'm an old school progger, so I can still enjoy it Big smile

Yes, I really love "If", for years people say bands sounds like YES simply cause the singer has a high voice, same here with Glass Hammer.  If anything they have so much keyboards & hammond it reminds me of ELP.  I just love the album on its own merits.  The last song is an absolute killer and must be played LOUD!Cool

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 21:39
Cool news from Hasse. I have to wonder, is it worth flying to the US for two shows. I really wish they'd find some investors or do a kickstarter. Psyched about the new album! I wonder when Roine wrote it. Seems like he's on a huge tfk writing kick.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 21:42
I have to imagine Roine is gearing up for both new Flower Kings album AND new Transatlantic album. He's probably writing a lot of stuff.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 07:40
I think he also has new agents material in the can as well. If he write 8-12 hours a day, material is no issue. Pulling it together with the band is probably challenging. I wonder if the guys are bringing in music for TA or starting from scratch. It just seems to ooze out of stolt and morse.

Anyway, I wonder when this stuff will come out? Seem there's a 6 month turn around between recoding and release. Maybe fall for Tfk and next spring for TA?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 13:25
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I have to imagine Roine is gearing up for both new Flower Kings album AND new Transatlantic album. He's probably writing a lot of stuff.
Shall we have a sweepstake on how many mentions of "Cain", "Adam", "The devil"...he gets in his lyrics?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 15:21
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Shall we have a sweepstake on how many mentions of "Cain", "Adam", "The devil"...he gets in his lyrics?

My dear Barney,

We usually don't wager on things that are a near certainty.  You'd have to give pretty hefty odds, I'd say 100-1
in favor of those terms... to be a balanced bet.  As long as the next record is as good as Banks of Eden, I don't
care if Roine writes songs like:

"There once was this handsome lad, Barney, who got stuck behind a lory on the M5 and missed his after-super delight..."

P.S.  How did you know of Heinz beans, and that they were in Pittsburgh?  The USA has a million companies that
make baked beans and Heinz isn't even close to being one of the good ones.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 17:10
Got the inner circle newsletter from Neal today.  TA sessions are set for May and he says they WILL happen.  He also said that he's already written a bunch of 'cool prog' stuff for the album.  They he has his little sermon...this time about god's economy.  So much naivety and delusion, i wouldn't know where to begin.  I guess the fact that there is no GOD would be a good place to start.

Clap
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 17:54
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

TA sessions are set for May and he says they WILL happen.

YES!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 20:32

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

TA sessions are set for May and he says they WILL happen.
YES!

He also predicts an early 2014 release. So kind of what I thought. TFK in the fall and TA in the winter with a tour in the spring or summer.

Morse also said that flying colors plan to record again and a live DVD is coming out soon. I wouldn't be surprised if he records another solo album during the down time before and after TA.

I just love speculating about this stuff :-)
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 20:52
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

P.S.  How did you know of Heinz beans, and that they were in Pittsburgh?  The USA has a million companies that
make baked beans and Heinz isn't even close to being one of the good ones.

Angry

(we do not speak negatively of our Heinzy Overlords)

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 22:49
Just listened to Garden of Dreams. WOW!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 314315316317318 486>