Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 338339340341342 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 23:13
Banks of Eden :3
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 02:54
^ I suppose I'd have to keep Flower Power as I couldn't live without having Garden of Dreams.  It wouldn't be fair though to not have Space Revolver or Stardust We Are.

I've been listening to Alive on Planet Earth these last few days and what a great album that is.  The versions of The Judas Kiss and Big Puzzle are particularly scintillating.  It's a shame they didn't put out a DVD of this as it'd be great to have concert footage with Salazar on drums, he's easily my favourite TFK sticksman.  I know Zoltan is easily more popular among most fans but not for me.  I guess it's as I prefer the earlier albums and Salazar is all over them, I love his distinctive style.

This brings me to a question about the Alive album, I'm thinking Gus might have the answer (maybe the rest of you guys too).  Tomas isn't on keyboards on disc 1 (the North American section) and I'm wondering why that was.  I'd hazard a guess it was visa/red tape problems or he was busy with his opera/orchestral work, but I might be wrong.

Incidentally I'm not sure Hasse is still working at the airport.  If he is his employers give a pretty decent holiday entitlement Wink.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 03:08
Roj, `Alive on Planet Earth' was the first Flower Kings album I heard, and that organ on `The Judas Kiss' was absolutely mind-blowing to me! So much so, that the studio version when I heard it on `Retropolis' a while later sounded wimpy by comparison! I've since become more forgiving of that one!

The live version of `Big Puzzle' also has a very moving vocal from Roine. Wow, I have not listened to that album in ages....due to be dug out for a fresh spin, I think!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - May 29 2013 at 03:40
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 06:20
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Roj, `Alive on Planet Earth' was the first Flower Kings album I heard, and that organ on `The Judas Kiss' was absolutely mind-blowing to me! So much so, that the studio version when I heard it on `Retropolis' a while later sounded wimpy by comparison! I've since become more forgiving of that one!

The live version of `Big Puzzle' also has a very moving vocal from Roine. Wow, I have not listened to that album in ages....due to be dug out for a fresh spin, I think!

Handshake
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 06:47
Ok, here's hoping that "Alive on Planet Earth" is available on Spotify.  I've never actually heard the CD.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 06:53
Well worth tracking down Roland!

I remember I heard a single track from the live album - The Judas Kiss - on a freebie disc that came with that `Progression' magazine, and that organ just blew me away! I then ordered `Alive on Planet Earth' and `Flower Power/Garden of Eden (which raised my prog-o-meter when I saw it was meant to be one single 70+ or so minute track!) there and then!

Strangely for down here in Australia, I used to find their CD's quite often in local music chains back then, even if they were quite overpriced imports...I know, because I bought all of them at those expensive prices! Never regretted a single one of them either!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - May 29 2013 at 07:03
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 07:11
Too cool Michael.

Thanks to Spotify I'm listening to it right now.  Granted, I'm at work so it's not blaring as loud as I'd like it to be but it sounds pretty good.  I'll make certain that I pay attention to "The Judas Kiss" .  I can actually thank Dream Theater for my introduction to The Flower Kings.  

I was into DT back in the nineties then lost track of prog in general (with the exception of Genesis) until about 06.  I heard a random DT track back in 06 and it inspired me to listen to a bit more of their stuff, I bought the ones that I didn't have.  After getting "Score" on iTunes, Apple started suggesting other bands that I may like.  From the Transatlantic connection, I kept seeing The Flower Kings and Spock's Beard as recommendations.

A month or two after that, I happened to find a copy of "Retropolis" in the used CD bin at my local shop, figured I'd get it and see what they were all about . . . the rest is history.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 07:27
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Too cool Michael.

Thanks to Spotify I'm listening to it right now.  Granted, I'm at work so it's not blaring as loud as I'd like it to be but it sounds pretty good.  I'll make certain that I pay attention to "The Judas Kiss" .  I can actually thank Dream Theater for my introduction to The Flower Kings.  

I was into DT back in the nineties then lost track of prog in general (with the exception of Genesis) until about 06.  I heard a random DT track back in 06 and it inspired me to listen to a bit more of their stuff, I bought the ones that I didn't have.  After getting "Score" on iTunes, Apple started suggesting other bands that I may like.  From the Transatlantic connection, I kept seeing The Flower Kings and Spock's Beard as recommendations.

A month or two after that, I happened to find a copy of "Retropolis" in the used CD bin at my local shop, figured I'd get it and see what they were all about . . . the rest is history.

The Judas Kiss and Big Puzzle on Alive are particularly awesome.  Enjoy Tom!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 08:02
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Question for all the TFK fans:
You can only keep one TFK cd...which would it be?

Unfold the Future. Easy.

Same.  Though it would be a tough call for me between Unfold (their best work) and Retropolis (my sentimental favorite).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 08:11
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

^ I suppose I'd have to keep Flower Power as I couldn't live without having Garden of Dreams.  It wouldn't be fair though to not have Space Revolver or Stardust We Are.

I've been listening to Alive on Planet Earth these last few days and what a great album that is.  The versions of The Judas Kiss and Big Puzzle are particularly scintillating.  It's a shame they didn't put out a DVD of this as it'd be great to have concert footage with Salazar on drums, he's easily my favourite TFK sticksman.  I know Zoltan is easily more popular among most fans but not for me.  I guess it's as I prefer the earlier albums and Salazar is all over them, I love his distinctive style.

This brings me to a question about the Alive album, I'm thinking Gus might have the answer (maybe the rest of you guys too).  Tomas isn't on keyboards on disc 1 (the North American section) and I'm wondering why that was.  I'd hazard a guess it was visa/red tape problems or he was busy with his opera/orchestral work, but I might be wrong.

Incidentally I'm not sure Hasse is still working at the airport.  If he is his employers give a pretty decent holiday entitlement Wink.

Nope, he was not there because he was involved in some theater production in Sweden and couldn't make it.  From what I remember, the theater gig payed very well and he had committed to it before Roine scheduled the tour.  Tomas made sure to be available for the Japan leg though, since neither he nor the band had ever been there before.

In retrospect, I find  Alive to be easily their weakest live performance (I'm basing this on the other official releases, plus the pile of bootlegged shows I have).  Big Puzzle I find too slow and a bit limp, though it has it's good moments.  I just don't think Roine can top the solo at the end that he does on the studio version either.  As I recall, Salazar commented that he was not happy with the performances on CD2 of that album, though I think they are okay.  CD1 is very good, though I wish they would have left The Lamb off and put on an original tune.  For that matter, they only used about 55 minutes on each CD, so they could have fit a good deal more.  I also prefer the single show format over the select songs from different shows format on Alive.

It was the first live Flower Kings I heard, so at the time I really loved it.  Now I really only think The Judas Kiss is a standout performance, though the first two tracks are played perfectly as well.  It also just isn't a great set list, IMO.  I do agree that Salazar is/was a great drummer.  I just prefer Zoltan's style for TFK's.  When I saw him perform Garden Of Dreams the first time, I was sold on his style over Salazar's right then and there.  Of course, TFK's have never had a bad, or even sub par drummer.

Last I heard, Hasse still works at the airport, and yes, he gets a lot of support for his musical excursions from his employers.  Sweden is not like the US and Britain, when it comes to work flexibility.  I guess he has worked there for more than 20 years, so they work with him to accommodate his absences (which he may well not get paid for, I don't know..........Roine pays all the guys a salary on tour, so Hasse still makes money touring, even when Roine looses money).

Edited by infandous - May 29 2013 at 08:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:10
Something that occured to me when I recently gave the first few albums - Roine's solo `Flower King' album, `Word of Adventures' and `Retropolis' - that I thought of a long time ago but never asked you guys....

Do those first three albums have moments where there's this kind of...serated, metallic King Crimson-like influence?

Just that I don't think `Stardust' onwards had any of that, and I can't recall off the top of my head any of the more recent albums having that sound either?
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:40
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Question for all the TFK fans:

You can only keep one TFK cd...which would it be?

Unfold the Future. Easy.
Same.  Though it would be a tough call for me between Unfold (their best work) and Retropolis (my sentimental favorite).

Wait, I thought your favorites were Adam+Eve and BoE?   
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 15:10
So far it seems Unfold has it.............
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 06:13
Nah  - Viva La FlowerPower, Unfold can do one.......
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 07:25

Something that occured to me when I recently gave the first few albums - Roine's solo `Flower King' album, `Word of Adventures' and `Retropolis' - that I thought of a long time ago but never asked you guys....

Do those first three albums have moments where there's this kind of...serated, metallic King Crimson-like influence?

Just that I don't think `Stardust' onwards had any of that, and I can't recall off the top of my head any of the more recent albums having that sound either?

Well, if Circus Brimstone isn't "brimming" with Crimson influence, I don't know what is.  Even Eyes Of The World has some of that.  Flower Power, I can't think of any Crimson sounding stuff off the top of my head, possibly Monster Within on Space Revolver ?

One of the instrumentals on Paradox Hotel has an extremely Crimsonesqe guitar line in it as well.  I don't think the Crimson flavor has really gone away, just been subdued.  For that matter, I think the extremely heavy Yes sound has also been subdued, and the band has moved towards a more original sound (though they always had one IMO).  The thing I notice now listening to those old albums is just how many blatant influences are present on them (Yes, Crimson, Genesis, Zappa, primarily).  They seem much more well integrated now, so that there are far fewer moments that make me think, "that sounds just like (fill in the blank)".

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 07:44
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Nah  - Viva La FlowerPower, Unfold can do one.......

We are in agreement Rob Thumbs Up.  If Nov is of the same opinion we have a UK TFK sweep for Flower Power Approve.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 07:55

Nope, he was not there because he was involved in some theater production in Sweden and couldn't make it.  From what I remember, the theater gig payed very well and he had committed to it before Roine scheduled the tour.  Tomas made sure to be available for the Japan leg though, since neither he nor the band had ever been there before.

In retrospect, I find  Alive to be easily their weakest live performance (I'm basing this on the other official releases, plus the pile of bootlegged shows I have).  Big Puzzle I find too slow and a bit limp, though it has it's good moments.  I just don't think Roine can top the solo at the end that he does on the studio version either.  As I recall, Salazar commented that he was not happy with the performances on CD2 of that album, though I think they are okay.  CD1 is very good, though I wish they would have left The Lamb off and put on an original tune.  For that matter, they only used about 55 minutes on each CD, so they could have fit a good deal more.  I also prefer the single show format over the select songs from different shows format on Alive.

It was the first live Flower Kings I heard, so at the time I really loved it.  Now I really only think The Judas Kiss is a standout performance, though the first two tracks are played perfectly as well.  It also just isn't a great set list, IMO.  I do agree that Salazar is/was a great drummer.  I just prefer Zoltan's style for TFK's.  When I saw him perform Garden Of Dreams the first time, I was sold on his style over Salazar's right then and there.  Of course, TFK's have never had a bad, or even sub par drummer.

Last I heard, Hasse still works at the airport, and yes, he gets a lot of support for his musical excursions from his employers.  Sweden is not like the US and Britain, when it comes to work flexibility.  I guess he has worked there for more than 20 years, so they work with him to accommodate his absences (which he may well not get paid for, I don't know..........Roine pays all the guys a salary on tour, so Hasse still makes money touring, even when Roine looses money).

As I mentioned, I thought Tomas may have been involved in one of his operatic/theatre projects Wink.

I'm surprised you're not impressed with the setlist.  In comparison to recent live releases which have tended to be very samey (excellent I'd stress but still samey) this contains songs you'll not find on any other official live releases, the aforementioned Judas Kiss and Big Puzzle plus Sounds of Violence, Church of Your Heart, The Flower King and others.  Not all of us have those fan club releases you have Gus AngryWink (they are now virtually impossible to find without paying a sum akin to the national deficit of Greece).

I think it's an excellent live album but as you rightly say the running time of both discs is a bit stingy.

I understand there will be a dvd from the last tour and as the setlist was a bit unimaginative on the tour the tracklisting will probably be similar to Tour Kaputt, plus of course the new tracks from BoE.  That's a shame as there are so many gems from their early-middle years which haven't been aired in a long time. 
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 09:44

Well, if Circus Brimstone isn't "brimming" with Crimson influence, I don't know what is.  Even Eyes Of The World has some of that.  Flower Power, I can't think of any Crimson sounding stuff off the top of my head, possibly Monster Within on Space Revolver ?

One of the instrumentals on Paradox Hotel has an extremely Crimsonesqe guitar line in it as well.  I don't think the Crimson flavor has really gone away, just been subdued.  For that matter, I think the extremely heavy Yes sound has also been subdued, and the band has moved towards a more original sound (though they always had one IMO).  The thing I notice now listening to those old albums is just how many blatant influences are present on them (Yes, Crimson, Genesis, Zappa, primarily).  They seem much more well integrated now, so that there are far fewer moments that make me think, "that sounds just like (fill in the blank)".

TFK have always had a hard edge in certain places.  Metal type riffs.  Roine's lacks a bit of bottom, so those riffs really spike through.  He definitely doesn't play any of Fripp type lines a la discipline, but that influence is there.  the more i listen, the more i hear Zappa in Roine's playing.   I've never really heard much of a blatant Yes sound in their music, but definitely an influence.  There are some blatant Genesis sounds though...especially when Roine plays keys.  Who knows?

I know UtF is a good album, it's just never blew me away.  It's so dense to me.  I sat down to give the first disc some attention last night and i couldn't do it.  Ironically, I can listen to A+E all the way through, no problemConfused
so much goes into like an album like first impressions, time, feeling etc.  lately, i've been in a rut.  i listened to BoE to death and after that, it's been difficult to listen to much music for a sustained time.  i think i'm getting old and more sensitive to loudness and lack of dynamics in music.  maybe I'll get that new SW.  his stuff is usually mastered well.  i've actually put on some smooth jazz guitar lately.  is that nuts?!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 14:08
I have just purchased from this very boutique.....Meet the Flower Kings and Alive on planet earth....not got any FK's Live..... so I have to rectify that don't I !!!
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 14:15
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I have just purchased from this very boutique.....Meet the Flower Kings and Alive on planet earth....not got any FK's Live..... so I have to rectify that don't I !!!

Meet the Flower Kings is one of my favorite live DVDs. So well made. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 338339340341342 486>