Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 340341342343344 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 17:02
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

The bar is set quite high with TFK.  Saying one TFK is my least favorite is quite different that saying I don't like the new Daft Punk.  The good songs on the least stellar TFK albums are leaps and bounds above the majority of music that's come out in the last 20-30 years.  

I got into TFK in 2001.  First was Stardust.  LOVED IT!.  Then I got Retropolis and then everything after SWA up to UtF.  For some reason, SR and UtF never blew me away.  I quit paying attention after Meet the Flower Kings only to come back in 2010.  SInce then, I've been trying to fill in the gaps in my collection with all TFK and related bands.  I've also been going back to the CDs I bought when I first got into them.  I understand why you guys love UtF and SR, but I just can't get into half of SR and almost none of UtF.  What's wrong with me?   Cry Tongue

The Truth Will Set You Free is just a hot mess to my ears.  Black and White is pretty good.  The rest is just unremarkable to me.  Now, put on Love Supreme, Driver's Seat, Numbers and I pay attention the entire time.  Very interesting how we all have different tastes and opinions.  I'll keep trying!  Cool

Well, I have no intention to "try harder" to appreciate Love Supreme, Driver's Seat, Numbers, or Monsters and Men (among others), so you don't need to either   I actually have tried, repeatedly, to appreciate them........to a certain extent I do.  The problem is, I just don't enjoy listening to them that much (but appreciate the craft and musicianship, as well as the excellent production on all of them).  As you say though, there is almost nothing by TFK that I can't stand to listen to.  The Truth Will Set You Free is not my favorite FK epic, but it's in the top 5 for me.  I've said before that Unfold took nearly a year for me to really "get", and another year or two after that before I decided it's their best work (though my second favorite FK album).  Anyway, like what you like and don't apologize for it, I don't WinkLOL

Nice response.  Thanks.  Yeah, appreciating and enjoying are different things.  It's just really interesting to me personally how the same band can make music I absolutely love and music I just don't like.  It's the same elements, just in a different configuration.  No apologies, just different.  

Anyway, I will work less hard!Tongue
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 05:01
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Nah  - Viva La FlowerPower, Unfold can do one.......

We are in agreement Rob Thumbs Up.  If Nov is of the same opinion we have a UK TFK sweep for Flower Power Approve.
Sorry to disappoint you Roj..........

Space Revolver is always going to be my favourite TFK album because it's the first one I heard and I feel a special connection to it. Plus, "I Am The Sun part 2" is my favourite piece of music from the past 15 years or so.

Just for the record, here are my top 3 TFK albums:

1) Space Revolver
2) Flower Power
3) Unfold The Future

........and my top 3 epics:

1) I Am The Sun
2) Garden Of Dreams
3) Monsters & Men

I just can't understand the different opinions on M&M. It is an awesome piece of music from beginning to end. Shivers up the spine abound! Wink

(on a different day, The Truth Will Set You Free would sneak in there Wink)

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 07:21
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Honestly, Rainmaker is only on the bottom of my list because it was the last TFK album I got, and I still haven't given it enough time to warm up to me.I do remember the last time I listened to it, I remarked here that it was better than I thought. So Adam & Eve would be on the bottom then.

Rainmaker was the first FK album that disappointed me.  It has grown on me over the years, and is above A&E and the second CD of Flower Power in my rankings, but still not a favorite.  It does have some good stuff on it, and like all their albums hangs together very well.  Sword Of God is god awful, Elaine is quite clunky melodically and lyrically (love the jazz fusion bit at the end though), and a couple other tracks are simply unremarkable and bland (so much so that I can't seem to recall their titles at the moment).

As to the comments earlier about Space Revolver being cheesy........well, there's no accounting for taste is all I can say Wink  I think You Don't Know What You've Got is my least favorite FK song of all time though.  The rest of the album, however, is good to bloody brilliant.  I liked that album the first time I heard it, and my feelings have never changed.

SORRY, I meant Retropolis!!!

Well, I don't think Retropolis is at all cheesy either.  There are no tracks on that album I could live without.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 07:24
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Nah  - Viva La FlowerPower, Unfold can do one.......

We are in agreement Rob Thumbs Up.  If Nov is of the same opinion we have a UK TFK sweep for Flower Power Approve.
Sorry to disappoint you Roj..........

Space Revolver is always going to be my favourite TFK album because it's the first one I heard and I feel a special connection to it. Plus, "I Am The Sun part 2" is my favourite piece of music from the past 15 years or so.

Just for the record, here are my top 3 TFK albums:

1) Space Revolver
2) Flower Power
3) Unfold The Future

........and my top 3 epics:

1) I Am The Sun
2) Garden Of Dreams
3) Monsters & Men

I just can't understand the different opinions on M&M. It is an awesome piece of music from beginning to end. Shivers up the spine abound! Wink

(on a different day, The Truth Will Set You Free would sneak in there Wink)

Just as I can't understand the praise it gets Wink  Of course, as I've been saying, it's not "bad" in any way really, I just don't get much enjoyment out of it.  It's well recorded and played, and I can appreciate the musical craftsmanship (it IS the FK's, after all).  It's just that after hearing it dozens and dozens of times, I just don't find myself enjoying it much.

The rest of your choices are all in my top 5 though Big smile

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 08:09
I'm going to chime in here for a moment or two on a few different subjects:

Monsters and Men:  I, like Infandous, have given Monsters and Men more than it's fair share of listens, Paradox Hotel is my favorite FK release, I should probably like the big epic, especially when so many of my esteemed colleagues love it . . . sadly, that never came across for me and really, I kind of gave up on the song.  Still don't care for it.  (though ironically enough, I'm going to give it a listening along with the rest of Paradox Hotel).

Top three FK CD's:  1)  Paradox Hotel,  2)  Unfold the Future,  3)  Space Revolver
Top four FK tracks:  1)  I am the Sun (complete),  2)  Serious Dreamers,  3)  End on a High Note,  4)  Stardust We Are.

I added a fourth because it was so close to 3rd that I included it.

Rock on everyone.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 12:26
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Monsters and Men:  I, like Infandous, have given Monsters and Men more than it's fair share of listens, Paradox Hotel is my favorite FK release, I should probably like the big epic, especially when so many of my esteemed colleagues love it . . . sadly, that never came across for me and really, I kind of gave up on the song.  Still don't care for it.  (though ironically enough, I'm going to give it a listening along with the rest of Paradox Hotel).

Top three FK CD's:  1)  Paradox Hotel,  2)  Unfold the Future,  3)  Space Revolver
Top four FK tracks:  1)  I am the Sun (complete),  2)  Serious Dreamers,  3)  End on a High Note,  4)  Stardust We Are.

Rock on everyone.

Serious Dreamers and I Am The Sun have some great synth solos.  TFK needs more of those and long ones at that.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 14:13

Rock on everyone.

I hadn't given it much thought, but Paradox should probably be higher in my list of favorites since I love everything on it except for Monsters and Men.  I'll have to give some serious thought to ranking their albums, since I probably haven't done that in several years.

Roughly for now though:  1) Retropolis, 2) Unfold, 3) Space Revolver
Tracks would be (again, roughly):  1) Garden Of Dreams, 2) Stardust We Are, 3) The Sum Of No Reason

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 15:36
It'd probably be easier for me to list favorite song on each album. There's so many.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 03:15
Ok, I'll go with:-

Albums - Flower Power, Space Revolver and Stardust We Are (prob in that order)

Tracks - Garden of Dreams and I Am The Sun (complete) for sure, tough to pick a third to be honest there's so much choice.  I'll go with Theme For A Hero as third choice at the moment.  (Don't worry Nov, Monsters and Men was a contender Wink)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 03:22
Now, we wouldn't visit this thread if we didn't adore the Flower Kings' approach to modern Prog - I am familiar with most of their albums since 'Back In The World Of Adventures' - 'Rising The Imperial' off 'Banks Of Eden' is by far, a most moving and emotional piece of Prog music.  On this track alone, I m more than impressed with TFK   Thumbs Up
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 06:33

Tracks - Garden of Dreams and I Am The Sun (complete) for sure, tough to pick a third to be honest there's so much choice.  I'll go with Theme For A Hero as third choice at the moment.  (Don't worry Nov, Monsters and Men was a contender Wink)
Aye think i'll be close to that - Mind u just got my first live CD, Meet the flower kings - played a bit of the opener before the mrs sidetracked me with a better offer! Sounded a LOT better than the studio version to me...can't wait to listen to the rest now.....
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 07:15

Aye think i'll be close to that - Mind u just got my first live CD, Meet the flower kings - played a bit of the opener before the mrs sidetracked me with a better offer! Sounded a LOT better than the studio version to me...can't wait to listen to the rest now.....

Ahh you'll be talking about The Truth Will Set You Free, tis indeed a great version and I'd agree probably better than he studio version.

I think you might well like GoD too, as the bits you like least are cut out Wink.

Did you get the dvd/cd version or just cd?
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 07:32

Did the offer involve Celine Dion?

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 07:33
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Now, we wouldn't visit this thread if we didn't adore the Flower Kings' approach to modern Prog - I am familiar with most of their albums since 'Back In The World Of Adventures' - 'Rising The Imperial' off 'Banks Of Eden' is by far, a most moving and emotional piece of Prog music.  On this track alone, I m more than impressed with TFK   Thumbs Up

Agreed, I think "Rising the Imperial" is easily one of the best songs on Banks and Jonas Reingold does a lot of pretty things on the bass there.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 12:58

Ok, I'll go with:-Albums - Flower Power, Space Revolver and Stardust We Are (prob in that order)Tracks - Garden of Dreams and I Am The Sun (complete) for sure, tough to pick a third to be honest there's so much choice.  I'll go with Theme For A Hero as third choice at the moment.  (Don't worry Nov, Monsters and Men was a contender Wink)

Hmmm role playing for REAL DEPRAVOES hey.....Celine Dion and the blind, deaf and dumb postman....well he'd have to be wouldn't he....No she just stroked behind her ears with a pristine copy of Flower Power and the scent of pure prog sent ME WILD...........
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 13:55

Ok, I'll go with:-Albums - Flower Power, Space Revolver and Stardust We Are (prob in that order)Tracks - Garden of Dreams and I Am The Sun (complete) for sure, tough to pick a third to be honest there's so much choice.  I'll go with Theme For A Hero as third choice at the moment.  (Don't worry Nov, Monsters and Men was a contender Wink)

Hmmm role playing for REAL DEPRAVOES hey.....Celine Dion and the blind, deaf and dumb postman....well he'd have to be wouldn't he....No she just stroked behind her ears with a pristine copy of Flower Power and the scent of pure prog sent ME WILD...........

LOL

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 17:45
So I listened to the first Agents Of Mercy album recently.  I have to say, it's a much better album than I thought when it came out.  I think it got a bad rap because it was basically Roine's follow up to the uber prog of TSONE.  When compared to that (or a lot of other FK albums), it is pretty lightweight.  However, I find my favorites are the songs that were obviously written for the original idea, a Roine acoustic solo album (which I hope he will still do someday).  There is, of course, a nice dollop of prog throughout the album as well, but unlike the next to Agents albums, it doesn't really have much in the way of Rock.  No heaviness at all really.  Though I noticed that the more prog sounding numbers would easily fit on more recent Flower Kings albums (like Paradox Hotel or Banks).  In fact, the most recent Agents album, while great, really doesn't sound much different than the Flower Kings to me, aside from Nad's vocal style and the occasional shred solo from Lalle.  Particularly the title track really sound like a Flower Kings tune to me.  The first and second album have more of a unique vibe to them, even if it is more mellow than we're used to from Roine's projects.

Anyway, just an observation after giving that album (and the Black Forest) a good listening recently, for this first time in probably a year or more.

(and yes, I'd say I like all 3 of them as much as Banks, probably Black Forest I like even more)

Edited by infandous - June 05 2013 at 17:45
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 17:50
Will have to check out the debut AoM album one day. I know the 2nd and 3rd album, but have yet to dive into the first. I did listen to TSONE today though. Felt appropriate with the gorgeous day it's been outside today.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 19:54
I too hope Roine does an acoustic album. Afternoon Skies on the first AoM album is a touch point. I like AoM, but Nad is a bit tough to take at times.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 07:50
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I too hope Roine does an acoustic album. Afternoon Skies on the first AoM album is a touch point. I like AoM, but Nad is a bit tough to take at times.

Yeah, vocalists are generally love or hate, especially ones with as much character as Nad.  Personally, I've loved his vocal sound and singing style since the first time I heard it, and it only gets better with each new thing I hear from him.

On the other hand, Hasse Froberg often gets on my nerves with his 80's rock belting.  Sometimes I think he's excellent (Instant Delivery is a good example, or his part in There Is More To This World), other times I find him grating and irritating (early on on Tour Kaputt, his solo work, Sword Of God).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 340341342343344 486>