Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 342343344345346 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 00:00
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Stardust does play through pretty easily. That's a rarity in double albums. I prefer vinyl length albums and I really think that a really good epic can't go past 20 minutes.

I used to pick albums based on how long the tracks were.  I still kind of do that sometimes without thinking about it.  However, in the past 10 years I've come to realize that adding 15 minutes to a basically poor musical idea and approach does NOT improve it in any way......makes it much worse actually.  So to a certain extent, I agree.  However I think All Of the Above, The Truth, Stardust We Are, Garden Of Dreams, and probably at least a dozen more prove that you are incorrect WinkLOL  (or The Icon, from the 70's.......a fabulous 30 minute epic from Todd Rundgren's Utopia)

Ikon!!!

Good points as always.

So it looks like fall releases for DT and TFK and then spring will be TA.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 00:46
Is TFK slated for a fall release? Have they announced a date yet?
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 03:50
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Look at my post on the bottom of the last page Wink

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 12:50
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Look at my post on the bottom of the last page Wink

Oh, I must have missed that. October huh? Sweet.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 16:10
Awesome news, something to look forward to at the end of summer :-).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 10:42

I can't stand Different People. It's one of few TFK songs I can't really tolerate.

I don't mind it, but that and Kingdom Of Lies are the two I could live without on that album (I love the short interlude pieces on CD2, and I have always liked Ghost Of The Red Cloud).

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 10:45
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Just read this comment by Roine on Facebook:

"Next week - a Mellotron from early 70's arrives @ Casa Stolt. More vintage to come then......btw. The TFK album is recorded on real reel to reel tape machine. Release Oct 2013."

Smile

Excellent!  Despite my ambivalence towards Banks, I'm looking forward to this  (they redeemed themselves for me after Adam & Eve, so I fully expect them to do it again Smile )
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 10:50
Yeah, I love the interlude stuff, especially when it integrates the musical themes on the album.  Stardust is a good example of this.  I also love a Tomas instrumental a la Babylon.  A perfect album would be a compelling epic, a Tomas instrumental, a mini epic with Jonas involved in writing, a ballad and another rock tune.  Add some interludes and we'd have a solid album.  Even better if the epic has a long synth solo and a long ambient section...hell, add in a killer riff to start rather than just the vocal melody.

Too much to ask?   Cool
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 12:06
^ Not at all. Smile

By the way, I've probably said this before, but I'll say it again, The Flower King has to be one of the best prog albums made since 1980. It's such a fun record, and some of Roine's most powerful performances.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 08:41
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Yeah, I love the interlude stuff, especially when it integrates the musical themes on the album.  Stardust is a good example of this.  I also love a Tomas instrumental a la Babylon.  A perfect album would be a compelling epic, a Tomas instrumental, a mini epic with Jonas involved in writing, a ballad and another rock tune.  Add some interludes and we'd have a solid album.  Even better if the epic has a long synth solo and a long ambient section...hell, add in a killer riff to start rather than just the vocal melody.

Too much to ask?   Cool

Speaking of long synth solos, I was listening to Unfold this weekend, and there is a quite excellent one in the last 10 minutes of The Truth Will Set You Free.

I don't really think Tomas wants to do a lot of synth solos, as I don't think that's really his thing.  Which is a shame because when he does break one out it's always very good.  He seems to like to create atmospheres the most, though he does also write some of the most proggy stuff the FK's ever did (Garden of Dreams main themes, Circus Brimstone, Rumble Fish Twist, etc.).

Edited by infandous - June 10 2013 at 08:47
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 08:44

^ Not at all. Smile

By the way, I've probably said this before, but I'll say it again, The Flower King has to be one of the best prog albums made since 1980. It's such a fun record, and some of Roine's most powerful performances.

That would be Unfold the Future.  I listened to it over the weekend for the first time in at least a year, and confirmed once again that it is easily their best album.  The Flower King really does seem like a Roine solo album to me.  Which makes it no less great, of course, but I don't rank it that highly.  Of course, your statement is so vague that I suppose I can't really disagree (it is certainly "one of" the best prog albums since 1980........I would just put about 30 above it Wink

I do love Roine's guitar sound on that album, as it's the only time he really comes across as a real "shredder", in the vein of Vai or Satch.  He really sounds like Vai on some parts (the solo in Dissonatta comes to mind).  It's definitely a  more guitar driven album than any of the FK proper albums.

Edited by infandous - June 10 2013 at 08:46
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:51

^ Not at all. SmileBy the way, I've probably said this before, but I'll say it again, The Flower King has to be one of the best prog albums made since 1980. It's such a fun record, and some of Roine's most powerful performances.

That would be Unfold the Future.  I listened to it over the weekend for the first time in at least a year, and confirmed once again that it is easily their best album.  The Flower King really does seem like a Roine solo album to me.  Which makes it no less great, of course, but I don't rank it that highly.  Of course, your statement is so vague that I suppose I can't really disagree (it is certainly "one of" the best prog albums since 1980........I would just put about 30 above it Wink )  I do love Roine's guitar sound on that album, as it's the only time he really comes across as a real "shredder", in the vein of Vai or Satch.  He really sounds like Vai on some parts (the solo in Dissonatta comes to mind).  It's definitely a  more guitar driven album than any of the FK proper albums.

Yes, I'd love to get something akin to the ambient section of Rumblefish on the new album.

Dark-the flower king is great!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:51
I listened to "Meet the Flowerkings" - Disc 1 - the Truth will set you Free - is awesome - miles better than the studio version IMHO. Garden of Dreams part one is also excellent - I couldn't wait for part II...Alas they bloody ruined my favourite bit - where the Piano riff is then taken on By Stolt - to rip out a truly fantastic solo...that's is what you call disappointment on a truly HUGE expectation....ARRRRRRGH....Hope disc 2 fairs better.....
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 15:27

I don't really think Tomas wants to do a lot of synth solos, as I don't think that's really his thing.  Which is a shame because when he does break one out it's always very good.  He seems to like to create atmospheres the most,

Yes, well, that's just the sort of blinkered philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage.    (Sorry that was John Cleese, not me.Embarrassed)

Seriously, all you guys are a bunch of "taw-sirs" for not sending me a PM to see how I was doing, except for
Zuma who is a true kindred spirit and handsome young devil as well.Wink

Your comment about Tomas' atmospheric playing is spot on. TFK version of Genesis - Cinerma Show
has none of the great lead keyboard parts and is very atmospheric instead.  When he does play lead, it can
be way over-modulated so it is hard to discern his progression of notes. His solo in Garden Of Dreams pt 1
on Meet TFK is a good example.  Though his traditional piano & organ playing is magnificent and very organic.
Very hard to figure that dude out.

I for one am not in a rush for a new FK record, the ink of Banks of Eden is barely dry.  I am still enjoying that a lot.
Last time they rushed we got Rainmaker and that sucked.Confused   I'd rather the lads take their time and get it right
and do:

The Chicken Farmer Album.

The Chicken Farmer Song prologue
The Chicken Farmer Song overture
The Chicken Farmer Song parts I - IV
The Chicken Farmer Song parts V - VIIII
The Chicken Farmer Song parts X -  XV
The Chicken Farmer Song reprise

Clap

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 15:40
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I don't really think Tomas wants to do a lot of synth solos, as I don't think that's really his thing.  Which is a shame because when he does break one out it's always very good.  He seems to like to create atmospheres the most,

Yes, well, that's just the sort of blinkered philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage.    (Sorry that was John Cleese, not me.Embarrassed)

Seriously, all you guys are a bunch of "taw-sirs" for not sending me a PM to see how I was doing, except for
Zuma who is a true kindred spirit and handsome young devil as well.Wink

Your comment about Tomas' atmospheric playing is spot on. TFK version of Genesis - Cinerma Show
has none of the great lead keyboard parts and is very atmospheric instead.  When he does play lead, it can
be way over-modulated so it is hard to discern his progression of notes. His solo in Garden Of Dreams pt 1
on Meet TFK is a good example.  Though his traditional piano & organ playing is magnificent and very organic.
Very hard to figure that dude out.

I for one am not in a rush for a new FK record, the ink of Banks of Eden is barely dry.  I am still enjoying that a lot.
Last time they rushed we got Rainmaker and that sucked.Confused   I'd rather the lads take their time and get it right
and do:

Clap

Good to see you back Dennis!  For what it's worth, I don't ever send anybody here PM's if they disappear for a while, so it was nothing personal Wink

You do remember that since Back In The World, The Flower Kings released an album every year, or at least every other year, up until 2008 (and 1998 was a live album, 2003 was a live album and DVD, and 2005 was a bunch of solo stuff.......only missing an album a year 3 times in 12 years is pretty darn good, especially when you consider the generally extremely high quality of each and every one of those releases).  So I think you are worried for no reason.  Frankly, I think they took way too much time to come up with a clunker like Banks WinkLOL

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 15:52
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Clap

lol
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 16:43

You do remember that since Back In The World, The Flower Kings released an album every year, or at least every other year, up until 2008 (and 1998 was a live album, 2003 was a live album and DVD, and 2005 was a bunch of solo stuff.......only missing an album a year 3 times in 12 years is pretty darn good, especially when you consider the generally extremely high quality of each and every one of those releases).  So I think you are worried for no reason.  Frankly, I think they took way too much time to come up with a clunker like Banks WinkLOL

Dude, I don't remember anything.  I am married and have a toddler. My life is one continual attempt to keep my head above water to breath!

You have it backwards(alas, as alwaysUnhappy)  The fact the lads took their time to release Banks of Eden is a testament to its superiority.  Go back to your King Crimson "math rock", I'm starting to think you are as tone deaf as Robert Fripp.

Tongue  Smile  LOL  Big smile  Wink

Oh, the new 2013 Sanguine Hum record is outstanding.  More young lads from the UK making good.

Has anybody heard the new Simon Collins record?

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 16:50
The new Simon Collins stuff doesn't sound too good. 

Also insulting KC and MR will kill u k
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 19:29
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

The new Simon Collins stuff doesn't sound too good. 

Also insulting KC and MR will kill u k

Junior: Don't you know enough to not get in between a lovers' quarrel???Confused

Seriously....
Please explain more about Simon Collins.  Is it too pop?  His band is playing Progday 2013.

Seriously(more).  Is Banks of Eden really your favorite Flower King CD?

Edited by dennismoore - June 10 2013 at 19:30
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 19:49
Yes BoE is the only TFK album i can get through entirely and actually go back to the songs and recall parts. I even have the second CD with bonus tracks (all of which are great).

Here's a song from Simon's album - no good unfortunately. The proggy stuff on the album is a bit better i suppose, but this is a real handicap imo. 

I wouldn't turn away from these guys at the festival, i just wish this wasn't so redundant. I don't mind poppier stuff. Hell, i like Your Own Special Way (which is why W&W is an actual masterpiece, and Trick is just awful)
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 342343344345346 486>