Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343344345346347 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 01:16
Hey Dennis,

Hope you are well. Your hopes for a Chicken Farmer concept album sounds great! I've been working on getting into Space Revolver. I agree that the ink is still wet on Banks. Roine and the band seem to be really psyched about playing together. I find it crazy that Roine basically wrote a TFK album and Transatlantic album in a matter of weeks. Nuts!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 06:34
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

which is why W&W is an actual masterpiece, and Trick is just awful
CONGRATULATIONS!!

I just did a quick survey and you are literally the only Genesis fan in the world who thinks that Trick is awful Wink

Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 06:35

Welcome back Dennis - we just about kept the thread bumping along without you Wink

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 09:02
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

You do remember that since Back In The World, The Flower Kings released an album every year, or at least every other year, up until 2008 (and 1998 was a live album, 2003 was a live album and DVD, and 2005 was a bunch of solo stuff.......only missing an album a year 3 times in 12 years is pretty darn good, especially when you consider the generally extremely high quality of each and every one of those releases).  So I think you are worried for no reason.  Frankly, I think they took way too much time to come up with a clunker like Banks WinkLOL

Dude, I don't remember anything.  I am married and have a toddler. My life is one continual attempt to keep my head above water to breath!

You have it backwards(alas, as alwaysUnhappy)  The fact the lads took their time to release Banks of Eden is a testament to its superiority.  Go back to your King Crimson "math rock", I'm starting to think you are as tone deaf as Robert Fripp.

Tongue  Smile  LOL  Big smile  Wink

Oh, the new 2013 Sanguine Hum record is outstanding.  More young lads from the UK making good.

Has anybody heard the new Simon Collins record?

Well, there is no accounting for taste.  Yours, anyway Wink

As you well know, I'm not a fan of "math rock" and don't consider Crimson to be in that category (unless you talk about Discipline and after...........stuff I don't own or listen to.....or like very much).  I am most certainly not tone deaf, as the musicians I've performed with over the years can attest.

I can accept that most people here find Banks really good.  Heck, even I think it's pretty good.  But not great by any stretch of the imagination.  In my personal opinion, of course, since there is no other way to judge music.

What I don't understand is how you could put Banks in the same league as Stardust We Are, Flower Power, Space Revolver, Unfold the Future, etc.......or even consider it superior to those.  It clearly is not.

Not familiar with either of the artists you mention.  I assume I can safely avoid them, since you enjoy them WinkLOL

Edited by infandous - June 11 2013 at 09:06
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 09:03
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I just did a quick survey and you are literally the only Genesis fan in the world who thinks that Trick is awful Wink

Actually, I much prefer W&W over Trick (consider W&W almost a masterpiece, actually).  However, I would not ever say Trick was awful.......just not very good Wink
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 10:51
Ok, the first few posts on this page are absolutely hysterical.  Mike and Dennis, you two are cracking me up.

I've done a series of top tens / twenties over the years, and I can honestly say that the four Genesis albums from Selling England through Wind and Wuthering always end up on any list greater than ten.  If it's only a top ten, at least two if not three of those four albums will show up.

A Trick of the Tail is easily my all time favorite album, but Wind and Wuthering is pretty much a top ten album as well so put me in the 'both please' category.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 11:20

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Actually, I much prefer W&W over Trick (consider W&W almost a masterpiece, actually).  However, I would not ever say Trick was awful.......just not very good Wink

Yea i believe when the two were put against eachother in a poll, there was posts about how boring Trick was. I;m not alone - and for good reason.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 12:48

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I much prefer Wind & Wuthering to Trick of the Tail, simply because it has some absolute classics - Blood on the roof-tops (Spoilt a tad by Collins singing I grant you...but a classic none-the-less) also Longer Tracks - One For The Vine and Eleventh Earl Of Mar - I even like All in a Mouse's Night - because of the ending is just excellent prog.....However - Your Own Special Way - bloody awful - take that off and replace it with Inside & Out - That would take W&W and put it alongside Nursery Cryme......Whos WITH ME!!!!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 14:01
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I much prefer Wind & Wuthering to Trick of the Tail, simply because it has some absolute classics - Blood on the roof-tops (Spoilt a tad by Collins singing I grant you...but a classic none-the-less) also Longer Tracks - One For The Vine and Eleventh Earl Of Mar - I even like All in a Mouse's Night - because of the ending is just excellent prog.....However - Your Own Special Way - bloody awful - take that off and replace it with Inside & Out - That would take W&W and put it alongside Nursery Cryme......Whos WITH ME!!!!

I'm with you.  Though, to be honest, I don't think I've ever heard Inside & Out.  I probably should.

I really don't find Your Own Special Way to be that bad at all.  The chorus is really the only part that makes me cringe.  The verses are actually quite nice and not really very cheesy (again, unlike the chorus).  Having said that, I wouldn't mind it being replaced with a better track at all.

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 14:12
http://hassefroberg.com/fr_home.cfm

Update from Hasse.  He's recording new HFMC album starting August 8.  It's supposed to be released May 2014 with a tour to follow in the spring.  So that pretty much cinches it.  New TFK in fall and hopefully a TFK tour.  Then, in the spring, TA4 album and tour plus  HFMC.  I hope that Jonas does something with Karmakanic in the spring too.  Add in DT this fall and we've got some good stuff to look forward to.  I wonder if Morse will put something out this year.  Wouldn't surprise me.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 15:22

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'm with you.  Though, to be honest, I don't think I've ever heard Inside & Out.  I probably should.

I really don't find Your Own Special Way to be that bad at all.  The chorus is really the only part that makes me cringe.  The verses are actually quite nice and not really very cheesy (again, unlike the chorus).  Having said that, I wouldn't mind it being replaced with a better track at all.

You need to get the Match of the Day EP - two turkeys but a truly excellent track with Inside & Out - nice arpeggio ARP solo and nice acoustic guitar - it's the last thing that Hackett recorded before he left in 1977 - Incidentally I saw Genesis at Earls Court in 1977 - with Hackett - Fantastic Gig - Here is the set list

Encore:

1. The Knife Play Video .....possibly in my top 5 gigs I would reckon....and they played inside & out !!!!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 15:25
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Ok, the first few posts on this page are absolutely hysterical.  Mike and Dennis, you two are cracking me up.

I've done a series of top tens / twenties over the years, and I can honestly say that the four Genesis albums from Selling England through Wind and Wuthering always end up on any list greater than ten.  If it's only a top ten, at least two if not three of those four albums will show up.

A Trick of the Tail is easily my all time favorite album, but Wind and Wuthering is pretty much a top ten album as well so put me in the 'both please' category.

Trick is on my top 10 favorite albums of all time, along with Close to the Edge, Wish You Were Here, etc.  Volcano, Entangled, Ripples, Squank, Robbery, Los Endos!  Come on!!  Utterly amazing.  I just cannot get into Wind.  It sounds like son of Trick to me.  Although, Afterglow is pretty good.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 15:45
I think that Trick is a good album, don't get me wrong - Dance on a volcano / entangled / Squonk's not too bad _ don't mind ripples - but I don't like the title track  - W & W feels far more like the older Genesis to me - a sort of Nostalgia trip before Hackett did one.....Top 10 Album though......no way it may make my top 500 perhaps?
My Top ten changes from year to year though - but TOTT has never been anywhere near....
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 22:31

I think that Trick is a good album, don't get me wrong - Dance on a volcano / entangled / Squonk's not too bad _ don't mind ripples - but I don't like the title track  - W & W feels far more like the older Genesis to me - a sort of Nostalgia trip before Hackett did one.....Top 10 Album though......no way it may make my top 500 perhaps?
My Top ten changes from year to year though - but TOTT has never been anywhere near....

You guys are on drugs!!   Dead

Trick of the Tail is the best post Gabriel era Genesis album.  And that is the truth.  Cool  (On second thought, what do I know.  I can't get into UtF.)
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 02:28
Hmmm, I've always thought WAW to be one of Genesis' best.  I'd go:-

1.  Selling England (of course)
2.  The Lamb
3.  Wind and Wuthering

Nursery Cryme, Trick and Duke are all excellent too.

However the best Genesis album is definitely Seconds Out.  One of the definitive live albums, a total masterpiece.  A big thanks to Barney for playing me this way back in the late 70s and introducing me to Genesis.  Whilst at that time I was already a proggie and well into Floyd, ELP and Yes I had not heard Genesis before then and have never looked back.

Edited by Roj - June 12 2013 at 02:32
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 04:22

Though, to be honest, I don't think I've ever heard Inside & Out.  I probably should.
What? Shocked

Yes you should! Wink

I totally agree with others that if this track was on W&W instead of YOSW it would hands down be my favorite Genesis studio album.

You need to hear I&O immediately! Wink

Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 04:24
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

However the best Genesis album is definitely Seconds Out.  One of the definitive live albums, a total masterpiece.
I totally agree Roj Wink

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 08:34

I agree with all this.  My take as well.  I don't dislike Trick, I just find it a much less enjoyable album than W&W.  Unlike W&W there are at least 2 tracks I don't care for at all.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 08:37

However the best Genesis album is definitely Seconds Out.  One of the definitive live albums, a total masterpiece.
I totally agree Roj Wink

So if I say I find it kind of boring and slow, you guys will think I'm crazy?  WinkLOL

Actually, I haven't heard it in many years.  Probably since my early 20's, when I was completely absorbed by Gabriel Genesis.  I had a live boot of The Rainbow gig (which I have since been able to get in a much better version via the archives release.....not to mention having it on DVD as well), which Seconds Out just didn't match up to at all.  I should probably hear it again though, as after 20 years I may have a different feeling about it (and I don't have anything against that era of Genesis.........the DVD footage I have of a few songs from the tour with Bruford are excellent.....so I need to give it another try).
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 09:01

Hmmm, I've always thought WAW to be one of Genesis' best.  I'd go:-1.  Selling England (of course)2.  The Lamb3.  Wind and WutheringNursery Cryme, Trick and Duke are all excellent too.However the best Genesis album is definitely Seconds Out.  One of the definitive live albums, a total masterpiece.  A big thanks to Barney for playing me this way back in the late 70s and introducing me to Genesis.  Whilst at that time I was already a proggie and well into Floyd, ELP and Yes I had not heard Genesis before then and have never looked back.

Yeah, Second Out is essential. I love Cinema Show on there.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343344345346347 486>