Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404405406407408 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 10:48
I bought Stardust We Are today! My 2nd FK album after The Sum of No Evil. Looking forward to getting into it! Smile

Edited by RoeDent - May 27 2014 at 10:49
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 01:43
hope you enjoy Stardust We Are it a fab 2cd album. welcome to the TFK thread hope to have so chat`s with you along the way . . .
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 12:20
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Mike, no, I totally like Beardfish, I didn't care for Destined Solitaire (something like that) but I love just about everything else that I've heard by them.

Nexus, I may have to give another listen to, I though I had earlier but I don't remember now.

I seem to be back in a prog mood over the past few days, I drug out "Paradox Hotel" and listened to it yesterday, I need to try it again, but I think "Monsters and Men" has finally clicked with me.  It was a 'right time / right place' kind of thing

Rock on folks.

Yeah, that's funny, as Destined Solitaire is my absolute favorite by them, and one of my favorite prog albums of all time actually.

I should really give Paradox Hotel a listen again, it's been a long time.  For some reason, I haven't been listening to TFK like I usually do when the weather turns nice.  Instead, it's been Glass Hammer.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 12:21
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I bought Stardust We Are today! My 2nd FK album after The Sum of No Evil. Looking forward to getting into it! Smile

Both excellent albums.  Two of my top 5 by TFK, actually.  You're off to a good start!  Clap
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 13:13
Ok, so I spent the morning listening to Nexus . . . Rob, you're going to have to give me a specific album or two cause there was a lot of oddities lumped under the 'Nexus' band listing . . . a lot of it unlistenable.

Unrelated, I've been listening to Paradox Hotel almost non-stop when I've been driving lately.  and I swear, it's not cause the CD is stuck.  I really haven't been in a huge Prog rock mood for the past year or so but yeah, the bug hit me.  The Flower Kings and prog in general seem to have made it back into my general rotation.

I finally get "Monsters and Men".
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 13:14
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Mike, no, I totally like Beardfish, I didn't care for Destined Solitaire (something like that) but I love just about everything else that I've heard by them.

Nexus, I may have to give another listen to, I though I had earlier but I don't remember now.

I seem to be back in a prog mood over the past few days, I drug out "Paradox Hotel" and listened to it yesterday, I need to try it again, but I think "Monsters and Men" has finally clicked with me.  It was a 'right time / right place' kind of thing

Rock on folks.

Yeah, that's funny, as Destined Solitaire is my absolute favorite by them, and one of my favorite prog albums of all time actually.

I should really give Paradox Hotel a listen again, it's been a long time.  For some reason, I haven't been listening to TFK like I usually do when the weather turns nice.  Instead, it's been Glass Hammer.

Hmm, I may have to give Glass Hammer another whirl, I thought they were ok, but I've started to enjoy Yes a lot more since then so Glass Hammer may get pulled along.  Yeah, I've been listening to Yes as well.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 13:28
Right Then - Here's the Collection - I have them ALL!!! (hehehehaaaarg) - Imagine Dr Evil's laugh when you read that...
Nexus
Detras Del Umbral (1998)
Metanoia (2001)
Perpetuum Karma (2006)
Buenos Aires Free Experience Volumen 2 (2006)
Magna Fabulis (2012)
AIRE (2012)

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 13:29
Oh and Lalo Huber - Lost in Kali Yuga 2009 - fantastico CD!!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 13:39

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Rock on folks.

Hmm, I may have to give Glass Hammer another whirl, I thought they were ok, but I've started to enjoy Yes a lot more since then so Glass Hammer may get pulled along.  Yeah, I've been listening to Yes as well.

I've gone back and forth with GH over the years..........I actually walked out of their performance at Nearfest 2003.  However, the albums with Jon Davison got me listening again, and I'm finding that I really like their last 4 albums.  The most recent only has Davison on a couple tracks, and is mostly Carl Groves Jr. on vocals, but I'm still really digging it. Their vocals were always the biggest drawback for me.  They always seemed like something I should love on paper, but it's only these last 4 albums that have really drawn me in (and I always loved Chronomotree).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 13:42

Ok, so I spent the morning listening to Nexus . . . Rob, you're going to have to give me a specific album or two cause there was a lot of oddities lumped under the 'Nexus' band listing . . . a lot of it unlistenable.

Unrelated, I've been listening to Paradox Hotel almost non-stop when I've been driving lately.  and I swear, it's not cause the CD is stuck.  I really haven't been in a huge Prog rock mood for the past year or so but yeah, the bug hit me.  The Flower Kings and prog in general seem to have made it back into my general rotation.

I finally get "Monsters and Men".

I've only got "Perpetuum Karma" from 2006, which is a great album if you love hammond organ.  The vocals are pretty weak though, which is probably why I haven't returned to it..........I'll have to do that.

I also have a couple tracks from them on various Colossus releases, and those are all quite good......with the exception of the vocals, again.  However, there are not many vocals, and I know the first two or three albums had a female vocalist who I've heard is quite good.  Still got to give a listen to those though, and possibly get the CD's....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 13:46
The first two CD's are far better in my opinion (PK is still amazing so - those two are fantastic , well I think so!) - the female singer is better...definitely!
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 16:25
Listened to the whole album yesterday evening, and gone back to a few songs today. It's fantastic! Love how little ideas from the title epic pop up in the earlier tracks, almost paving the way for that final song. On disc 1, there's a four-track, 21-minute stretch of instrumentals (Poor Mr. Rain... to Crying Clown), which is an interesting idea. 
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 18:28
Roe, Stardust is such a fantastic album on so many levels, I'm with you, one of my favorite things is the repetetion of the Stardust themes throughout the rest of the CD.  I love "In the Eyes of the World" also.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 10:48
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Listened to the whole album yesterday evening, and gone back to a few songs today. It's fantastic! Love how little ideas from the title epic pop up in the earlier tracks, almost paving the way for that final song. On disc 1, there's a four-track, 21-minute stretch of instrumentals (Poor Mr. Rain... to Crying Clown), which is an interesting idea. 

This is something they do on most of their albums, though it's not always a theme from the album itself, but often from previous albums (I know Tomas Bodin likes to quote melodies from their older albums on each new album.....not sure if this was the case on the last two though).

That is a large part of what makes Stardust so brilliant.  The same thing happens on Flower Power, but the big epic is the first "track" rather than last.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 15:02
Stardust We Are was my first TFK album so I will always have special affection for it. After that I never looked back. Go for Flower Power or Space Revolver next RoeDent unless you want to save them for now

Tom, good to see that you have seen the light with Monsters and Men! Gus, you are next

I'm off to see Mostly Autumn on Saturday, they are always great live (and it's at Bury Met too Rob!).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 14:59
Not heard any? I have just listened to my first Moon Safari, The Double Live, VERY IMPRESSIVE , loads of excellent guitar work, they seem a bit obsessed with love songs though.....they should sing about lonely singularities lost in the vast depths of space...or perhaps a lost Portuguese man-o-war floating aimlessly about in the Sargasso sea or summat....
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 08:05
Stardust was my first TFK album, followed by Unfold the Future. Together, those two albums highlight the band's range quite nicely.

An album that really amazes me is Back in the World of Adventures - TFK really had it going from the start. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 16:29
well I`ve been out of the prog rock music for the last 3/4 weeks, do you think I need a doctor...

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 07:23
wow just listened to BOE, TFK are a lifeline from the hum drum life...

Music Is Live

<
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Altairius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2014 at 02:22
TFK are great composers. Almost no one makes epic, emotional music like this anymore. It's 'adventure' music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404405406407408 486>