Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 405406407408409 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2014 at 05:28
Aye the most adventurous for OTT extended tracks - proper guitar solo's that go on for the correct time...pomposity...what prog should be!!!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2014 at 16:17
been playing SWA, SR AND FP. . . now its time for the three new album`s by LED ZEPPELIN...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
zafush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zafush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2014 at 15:49
Simply the perfect band about Epic songs . . . I love them . . .
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2014 at 13:23
Yeah, the Kings are, um, the kings of epic tracks.  Hard to find other bands that go all out with them like TFK's.  Glad to see we got a couple new fans posting here Thumbs Up
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 06:09
From 'The Merrygoround': "and the angels sing... sweetly... the blues away. I will bend this... starless night... into day..."

One of their most resonant moments I think, and overlooked. Kind of buried in that album.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 12:47
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

From 'The Merrygoround': "and the angels sing... sweetly... the blues away. I will bend this... starless night... into day..."

One of their most resonant moments I think, and overlooked. Kind of buried in that album.

That's actually one of my favorite tracks on the album, I've always loved that track.  My favorite part though is the first few minutes.........very up tempo for the FK's and reminded me of Phish for some reason.  Anyway, the second best track on CD2 and one of my 5 favorites from that album!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 03:06
Yeah, The Merrygoround is a fantastic track, one of my all-time favourites by TFK.  Also without a doubt one of my favourite Roine guitar solos.  I also think Tomas shows his quality on this, the keyboards are gorgeous.

Clap from me Approve.

Happy friday all Tongue.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 01:56
been on a week`s holiday loads of lazing around the pool with headphones on and load`s of TFK... now back and as this
week its DIY...

Music Is Live

<
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 10:39
Hey Friends,

Hope all are well.  Needless to say, I've been kind of off the TFK bandwagon for a while.  However, I popped on Adam & Eve yesterday and was in pure bliss!  

What's the latest with the band?  Touring now, but any ideas what's coming up next?

Peace,
Craig
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 05:26
been lucky to day as off work and I`ve gotten time to listen to TFK,
I`m still hooked on DR album... been playing the merrygoround is a wonderful epic music of top musicians taking the listener along a sensational, sentimental journey... now that's a very big + yes...

Music Is Live

<
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 08:41
What's the best album to start with? (I'm sure it's been asked and answered, but it's a long thread!)
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 13:04
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

What's the best album to start with? (I'm sure it's been asked and answered, but it's a long thread!)

Stardust We Are

It's a double album with a bit of filler, but it's classic TFK with reoccurring themes, some short epics, some instrumentals and a killer epic that will have you fist pumping and singing your lungs out.  Wink
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 17:34
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Stardust We Are
It's a double album with a bit of filler, but it's classic TFK with reoccurring themes, some short epics, some instrumentals and a killer epic that will have you fist pumping and singing your lungs out.  Wink

Powerful recommendation. Thanks. I'll go shopping.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 21:30
Cool.  Please report back. Big smile
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 08:52

To tell you the truth, any of their albums are a good starting point.  I guess it's easier for me to exclude albums as possible first listens.......The Rainmaker, Adam & Eve (both good albums, but two that I wouldn't recommend to a first time listener).  The double albums might be a lot to take in all at once as a first listen, so I'd probably go with Retropolis (my first), Back In The World, Sum of no Evil, or either of the two latest releases (I don't care for Banks Of Eden, but a lot of people seem to love it).

It's true though that most agree their double albums are the best.  My pics of those would be Stardust We Are, Flower Power, Unfold The Future.  Paradox Hotel is a great album, but a bit of a different sound, feel, and approach than their other albums.  Probably one to get later, even though it's still a great album.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 08:57

Hey Friends,

Hope all are well.  Needless to say, I've been kind of off the TFK bandwagon for a while.  However, I popped on Adam & Eve yesterday and was in pure bliss!  

What's the latest with the band?  Touring now, but any ideas what's coming up next?

Peace,
Craig

No idea.  If they aren't coming to the USA, I don't really pay attention.  Haven't heard anything about a new album though.

I haven't been listening to them either, though a track will pop up on my MP3 player from time to time.  My experiences with the last two albums made me feel like I'd burnt myself out on them, so I haven't been listening for a while.  I usually pull them out in the summer months, but just haven't done so yet.  I'm sure the mood will strike me eventually (just listened to Tales last night for the first time in years.....still brilliant......so maybe TFK's will be up again soon).

Good to see you post again Craig!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 09:41
Years ago, I somehow got ahold of an Inside Out music sampler disc and one of the songs on it was Silent Inferno.  I fell in love with that song. Went right out and bought Unfold The Future but found that I just couldn't get into it.
Definitely time to revisit though. When I first listened to V from Spock's Beard, it didn't stick either but it definitely did stick when I went back to it about a year later.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 12:41
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Hey Friends,

Peace,
Craig

No idea.  If they aren't coming to the USA, I don't really pay attention.  Haven't heard anything about a new album though.

I haven't been listening to them either, though a track will pop up on my MP3 player from time to time.  My experiences with the last two albums made me feel like I'd burnt myself out on them, so I haven't been listening for a while.  I usually pull them out in the summer months, but just haven't done so yet.  I'm sure the mood will strike me eventually (just listened to Tales last night for the first time in years.....still brilliant......so maybe TFK's will be up again soon).

Thanks buddy!  

I'm with you, I kind of got burned out for a while.  I was really hitting it hard and was so excited for the new TA.  After that was a disappointment, I took some time off.  Listening to jazz mostly and Grateful Dead.  2014 seems to be kind of blah year for prog so far.  I really thought we'd hear something from Roine about some project coming up.  I know Morse has a singer/songwriter album coming out.  I would assume Steven Wison's got something in the oven for next year.  

Anyway, I'm enjoying revisiting A+E and think I'm going to order Tour Kaputt.  Never got that one.  It's a DVD to, right?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 12:43
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Years ago, I somehow got ahold of an Inside Out music sampler disc and one of the songs on it was Silent Inferno.  I fell in love with that song. Went right out and bought Unfold The Future but found that I just couldn't get into it.
Definitely time to revisit though. When I first listened to V from Spock's Beard, it didn't stick either but it definitely did stick when I went back to it about a year later.

That's one hell of an album to start with.  I still don't think I've ingested the entire thing.  Silent Inferno is great.  Welcome to the board.  Tongue
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 14:52

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Hey Friends,

Peace,
Craig

Thanks buddy!  

I'm with you, I kind of got burned out for a while.  I was really hitting it hard and was so excited for the new TA.  After that was a disappointment, I took some time off.  Listening to jazz mostly and Grateful Dead.  2014 seems to be kind of blah year for prog so far.  I really thought we'd hear something from Roine about some project coming up.  I know Morse has a singer/songwriter album coming out.  I would assume Steven Wison's got something in the oven for next year.  

Anyway, I'm enjoying revisiting A+E and think I'm going to order Tour Kaputt.  Never got that one.  It's a DVD to, right?

Yeah, Tour Kaputt is a must have, IMO.  The thing that kind of makes up for the two most recent albums being weak (also, IMO).  For some reason though, the CD and DVD of Tour Kaputt are sold separately.  I bought them both at release time...........what's even weirder is that they come in totally identical packaging, right down to the liner notes.  Why it wasn't just put out as a single combo CD/DVD, I don't really understand.  In any case, both sound great and the DVD looks pretty darn good considering Roine didn't consider releasing it at the time (2007).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 405406407408409 486>