Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 412413414415416 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:38
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I've ordered the new Abel Ganz - well I had too - stick it on me MP3 player - ready for Tenerife next week...

How is Abel Ganz?  I've heard the name in a few circles but haven't really listened to them,  What do they sound like?
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:58
Darkshade.........the new TA just seems like one long cliche to me.  I know a lot of people felt that way about The Whirlwind, but I actually still like that one (not as good as most FK albums, but I get enjoyment out of it).  The new Yes.....I've heard 2 full songs and a few clips and decided that was enough for me to ignore it completely.  I haven't really liked anything from Yes since the Keys albums though.

Tom, I only have the previous Abel Ganz and the new one (which I still haven't listened to yet, maybe this weekend).  The previous one was folky symphonic and just lovely.  The vocals on that one were a bit rough on a couple tracks, but they have a full time good vocalist on the new one (he sang one track on the previous album, and he sounded good on that............also, Alan Reed sings the epic on that previous album and sounds excellent).  They've been around a long time (since early 80's) and I guess have changed their sound a bit over the years.

I don't ever seem to get tired of prog though, not sure why.  I HAVE gotten burned out on FK/Neal Morse axis of music from time to time over the years, and even symph prog as a whole a couple years ago (I just listened to a lot of Avante/RIO and eclectic stuff instead).  But I always seem to find my way back in relatively short order.  I do listen to other stuff though, so it's not they only music I listen to (though most of the time it is).  I should probably check out more live Phish stuff.........I only have A Live One, but that was probably my favorite thing I heard by them back when I was checking them out.  I've heard a few other live shows over the years but can't really remember much about them now.

Edited by infandous - September 05 2014 at 09:10
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:40
well lets see the albums which give us pure highest highs. which would you like to list so the rest of us can also see if we also give us the same highest high... the answers for the above question its not only for TFK albums... Genesis, Yes, SB, TA or ???????????....
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

If you fancy a longer piece Silent Inferno from Unfold The Future is pretty dark.  It's also brilliant Wink.

Thank Roj. It seems like Flower Kings is the most popular band here at PA. 414 pages for that topic. Wow! I may start to appreciate that band LOL
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:44
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Darkshade.........the new TA just seems like one long cliche to me.  I know a lot of people felt that way about The Whirlwind, but I actually still like that one (not as good as most FK albums, but I get enjoyment out of it).  The new Yes.....I've heard 2 full songs and a few clips and decided that was enough for me to ignore it completely.  I haven't really liked anything from Yes since the Keys albums though.

Tom, I only have the previous Abel Ganz and the new one (which I still haven't listened to yet, maybe this weekend).  The previous one was folky symphonic and just lovely.  The vocals on that one were a bit rough on a couple tracks, but they have a full time good vocalist on the new one (he sang one track on the previous album, and he sounded good on that............also, Alan Reed sings the epic on that previous album and sounds excellent).  They've been around a long time (since early 80's) and I guess have changed their sound a bit over the years.

I don't ever seem to get tired of prog though, not sure why.  I HAVE gotten burned out on FK/Neal Morse axis of music from time to time over the years, and even symph prog as a whole a couple years ago (I just listened to a lot of Avante/RIO and eclectic stuff instead).  But I always seem to find my way back in relatively short order.  I do listen to other stuff though, so it's not they only music I listen to (though most of the time it is).  I should probably check out more live Phish stuff.........I only have A Live One, but that was probably my favorite thing I heard by them back when I was checking them out.  I've heard a few other live shows over the years but can't really remember much about them now.

It's hard to top their first 3 albums, but TA set the bar pretty high. I'll leave my comments once I've digested the album.

As far as Phish, A Live One is your only exposure to live Phish? That album represents their 1994 sound, in which case, you may be interested in their 2012 box set "Chicago 94", which contains 2 full shows from that year, and they're some of their best performances.

I've been digging what they've been doing this year, in 2014. Here is a couple of jams. The first one I was present for.

Edited by darkshade - September 05 2014 at 10:46
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 12:15
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I've ordered the new Abel Ganz - well I had too - stick it on me MP3 player - ready for Tenerife next week...

<SPAN style="TEXT-TRANS: none; : rgb255,255,255; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !imant; FONT: 12px/14px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; : none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb0,0,0; WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">How is Abel Ganz?  I've heard the name in a few circles but haven't really listened to them,  What do they sound like?</SPAN>

Very Genesis influenced - Shooting Albatross is an absolute STONKER of a CD - one of the songs has one of the most haunting instrumental breaks I've ever heard (Sheepish) - it sort of reaches deep into my psyche and sort of makes me feel uncontrollably moved - very few tracks have that effect on me - The whole CD is superb and a proper Progressive effort with track lengths of 15:06 , 23:31, 12:55 and 15:38 - some gorgeous Hackett influenced guitar parts and loads of nice keyboard parts...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 12:17
Can't wait for the new one although Hew Montgomery and Hugh Carter have left and they wrote most of Shooting Albatross - so I don't think it will get anywhere near....but one can hope!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 14:33
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

It's hard to top their first 3 albums, but TA set the bar pretty high. I'll leave my comments once I've digested the album.

As far as Phish, A Live One is your only exposure to live Phish? That album represents their 1994 sound, in which case, you may be interested in their 2012 box set "Chicago 94", which contains 2 full shows from that year, and they're some of their best performances.

I've been digging what they've been doing this year, in 2014. Here is a couple of jams. The first one I was present for.

Thanks man!  I'll give those a listen.  I have heard some other live Phish albums, but I couldn't tell you what the concerts were or when (I used to work with a guy who was a huge Phish fan, and he would play their studio and live albums at the office in pretty much equal measure).  A Live One is the only one I've heard more than once or twice though.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 19:10
wow wee Phish rule there an amazing band... there are a load more of Phish live shows you should check out I`ll dig out what I`ve gotten to tell you which I`d pass on...    

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 04:18
right on there is a much needed listen TIMES of PROG, so I`ve load the 5cd player with NM=SS, TFK=TSONE, TA= TWW, PO90D=UD AND TFK=SR so I`m in for a porgtasic time wow wee yes...

Music Is Live

<
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 06:38
Ok, today's listening is Visions by Haken, a new discovery for me, thanks to sis' who is a big fan.

I really like this, pretty modern-DTish, although more prog as opposed to metal. The keyboard player is great but I'm not 100% on the vocalist as yet. The title track epic is the track that has least impact on me as of yet but I've only heard the disc 4 times to be fair.  

This I have to say is a worrying tendency of mine as of late.  I seem to be having difficulty with really long tracks, perhaps it's a comment on the quality of the track rather than me, but I just seem unable to retain 100% focus for all an epic. Tracks seem to drift off, just like my attention.  Epics seem less cohesive these days, I think bands have a tendency to make pieces of music with various parts tacked together just for the sake of creating an epic.  My mind seems to drift off and this is something I certainly don't get with 10-14 minute tracks.  I'm not really sure of the last epic that tends to completely hold my attention throughout......  I'll have a think about that.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 10:16
well my listening as been tangent LDST/NAGATB/COMM, there three great prog rock albums by the tangent. I`ve not been looking into newer prog music lately why I just don't have an answer for you its just I haven't done so. I`ve been buying the music of the bands from my youth. both on vinyl/cd to in rich my music listening.

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 15:30
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Ok, today's listening is Visions by Haken, a new discovery for me, thanks to sis' who is a big fan.

I really like this, pretty modern-DTish, although more prog as opposed to metal. The keyboard player is great but I'm not 100% on the vocalist as yet. The title track epic is the track that has least impact on me as of yet but I've only heard the disc 4 times to be fair.  

This I have to say is a worrying tendency of mine as of late.  I seem to be having difficulty with really long tracks, perhaps it's a comment on the quality of the track rather than me, but I just seem unable to retain 100% focus for all an epic. Tracks seem to drift off, just like my attention.  Epics seem less cohesive these days, I think bands have a tendency to make pieces of music with various parts tacked together just for the sake of creating an epic.  My mind seems to drift off and this is something I certainly don't get with 10-14 minute tracks.  I'm not really sure of the last epic that tends to completely hold my attention throughout......  I'll have a think about that.

I've noticed this a bit myself.  Epics used to be a once (maybe twice) a career thing for prog bands (some don't even have them at all).  With a couple exceptions, of course, but even in those cases there isn't an epic on every album, or even close to every album.  Even with Yes this was true.

Now it seems like you can't call yourself a prog band without an epic on every album, or every other album at least.  I do get the sense that sometimes they are made with the intention of making them, rather than letting the music just go where it need to.  Of course, Genesis set out to make a side long epic when they made Supper's Ready.....that was the intention before they ever started putting the thing together.  Same with Tales From Topographic Oceans and Close to the Edge for that matter.  Those all turned out pretty good WinkLOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 17:22
I agree that not all epics are strong, but I think Haken's are. Sometimes, it's good to just listen to the epic, especially when you've already listened to an hour of music prior to it.

The Whirlwind is one song, it keeps my attention throughout, whereas Garden of Dreams I have lost focus on it, but something brings me back. Octavarium keeps my attention all the way through, but The Revealing Science of God loses me at times. I consider all of them masterpiece epics. However, they all require a bunch of listens to totally grasp.

Some average epics would be that one from Frogg Cafe on Creatures, Yes' The Remembering (or The Ancient, I forget), Beardfish's Sleeping In Traffic (which I enjoy, but it's bloated, and is just a long song with a bunch of different songs and themes pasted together), and Dream Theater's In The Presence of Enemies.

Edited by darkshade - September 08 2014 at 17:23
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 01:49
sadly I don't agree with the Yes epic track from TFTO...

Music Is Live

<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 03:17
I love The Whirlwind, but it will always be a bunch of separate songs strung together to form the entity. Ditto for PT's 'The Incident'. Same could be said for Supper's Ready, but at least that flows more smoothly.
Floyd's Echoes works as one entire song, albeit jammed out to make up the extended timing.
Oh yeah, in-keeping with the thread, TFK's 'Numbers', is a superb 25 minute+ stretch of prog bliss that makes perfect sense !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 09 2014 at 03:22
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 08:14
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I agree that not all epics are strong, but I think Haken's are. Sometimes, it's good to just listen to the epic, especially when you've already listened to an hour of music prior to it.

The Whirlwind is one song, it keeps my attention throughout, whereas Garden of Dreams I have lost focus on it, but something brings me back. Octavarium keeps my attention all the way through, but The Revealing Science of God loses me at times. I consider all of them masterpiece epics. However, they all require a bunch of listens to totally grasp.

Some average epics would be that one from Frogg Cafe on Creatures, Yes' The Remembering (or The Ancient, I forget), Beardfish's Sleeping In Traffic (which I enjoy, but it's bloated, and is just a long song with a bunch of different songs and themes pasted together), and Dream Theater's In The Presence of Enemies.

Yeah, I pretty much agree........though I find Garden Of Dreams to be my favorite epic of them all.  Never have a problem paying attention the whole way through.  Many epics are in the suite format, which is basically a bunch of pieces stuck together with melodic themes tying them together.  I agree that not all of the suite type epics tie together seamlessly, but I don't know that they have to or were intended to.  Concept albums are usually considered one piece of music, even if there are breaks between tracks........though most people don't think of them as one "song", they are one piece of music (or at least, I think most are intended to be that way.........Tales is meant to be a single piece of music, with 4 movements, like a symphony).
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 10:10
Garden Of Dreams and Tales are totally amazing epics...

Music Is Live

<
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 12:13
I'm hit and miss on epics but I agree with Tom Ozric, a lot of the 'full length' epics are really a bunch of songs that are put together.  The Incident is a great example of this.  It seems more and more, that the 'epic track' concept is merging with the 'concept album'.  The Incident and The Whirlwind are structurally more similar to 'The Lamb' then they are to say "Stardust We Are" (the song).  Numbers is a good epic in that it starts at one place and flows to the end.

Ok, just read Mike's (Infandous') comment and realized I'm not the only one bringing up the concept album point . . .
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 14:46
According to their Website - Haken is pronounced to rhyme with Taken!!
I am going to see them in October with Son No two...acemans!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 412413414415416 486>