Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 432433434435436 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 02:52
^I'm actually one of those that likes Adam and Eve, a lot.  It has one of their best short instrumentals (Babylon) and one of my favourite epics (Drivers Seat) for starters.

On a side note, Geekfreak appears to have disappeared off the grid.......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 09:16
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Picked up Adam & Eve for a few bucks at a local shop.....I bought it 'cause I thought the opening track was some sort of prog Coltrane cover.  Liked the opening track and a few others, but the stuff just never hit me.....I can sense great musicianship but the material lets down the playing (and those lyrics....yikes!).  I'll keep my eyes open for some of their more well-liked albums.....I think even TFK fans are down on A&E.

Adam & Eve is prolly my #2 fav album by TFK......I am a lover of long a$$ freaking songs LOL. Love Supreme and Driver's Seat are amazing, classic Flower Kings material.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 09:22
Some of you might not be aware of this. Roine Stolt official in a band called Charm, they only ever released one single album but wow have a listen here it's beyond brilliant really Thumbs Up Chance - From Here To Infinity

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 09:23
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Picked up Adam & Eve for a few bucks at a local shop.....I bought it 'cause I thought the opening track was some sort of prog Coltrane cover.  Liked the opening track and a few others, but the stuff just never hit me.....I can sense great musicianship but the material lets down the playing (and those lyrics....yikes!).  I'll keep my eyes open for some of their more well-liked albums.....I think even TFK fans are down on A&E.

I hear ya.......my least favorite FK album.  I don't care for the epics (though Driver's Seat isn't bad, just doesn't flow very well, IMO) and only like a couple tracks (the instrumentals, A Vampire's View).  Obviously, some fans love it though.  Any of their early albums blow it away (Back in World, Retropolis, Stardust We Are, Flower Power, Space Revolver).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 09:24
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Some of you might not be aware of this. Roine Stolt official in a band called Charm, they only ever released one single album but wow have a listen here it's beyond brilliant really Thumbs Up Chance - From Here To Infinity

My understanding was he played on one or two tracks was all.  It's been a long time so I'm not completely sure about that anymore.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 09:56
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

'ello mates!

hope all is well.  i've been in Grateful Dead land for last few months with their big 50th celebration and my having a handful of gigs this summer with my dead cover band.

with the passing of chris squire, though, i'm back on a prog kick.  i really loved his singing and bass playing, so i'm digging deep to give some stuff i initially dismissed a second chance.  actually been listening to open your eyes.  peculiar album, but lots of squire singing.  def an big sherwood influence.  the ladder is actually pretty good.  probably the best ladder day album.  i've also been checking out some billy sherwood as well as conspiracy.

busted out Rainmaker last week.  most of it holds up.  still have tour kaput on my wish list and really haven't given desolation much time.  could not get into the latest HFMC.  the latest flying colors has it's moments.  

did any of you get to see yes?  i wasn't into them until the late 90s.  got to see them in 2002, i think, when wakeman was just coming back, yet again.  it was so damn great!  they were all there at the top of their game.  not too old yet and a killer setlist including south side, revealing science and america.  also saw them with the next two lead singers.  not too bad.  the last time was a snooze.  downes messes up a lot live.  just hits wrong patches etc.  and the tempos are so slow.  i'll be curious to see what happens now.  i can definitely see howe continuing, but not sure with sherwood.  didn't they have some issues?  anyway, i'm sure there will be some shows with Jon in the future before it's all over. 

Never did see Yes live.  They actually played in my town back in 2002, but I didn't go because the tickets were too expensive for me at the time, and because the venue has horrible sound.  I kind of wish I had gone now, but it just wasn't in the cards, I guess.

I haven't cared for anything they've done since the Keys studio material (which I still think is quite good, and could have been even better if they'd toured on it and continued working in that vein).  The Ladder is okay, Fly From Here wasn't bad for a bunch of elderly gentleman but I find it hard to think of as a Yes album since it was mostly written by Horne and Downs (and mostly in the 80's).  The last album was dreadful.

I've been listening to Prodigy to honor Squire.  He was in his prime then, and at his absolute best (as was the rest of the band).  That's how I want to remember him and them.

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:02

Wow Kati! That's fantastic, thanks for sharing. I consider myself a bit of a Flower Kings buff and all, but I'd never even heard of that. Now I have to find the album! Thanks again
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:17
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

My understanding was he played on one or two tracks was all.  It's been a long time so I'm not completely sure about that anymore.
infandous you are right, Stolt played on two tracks of that album, both a total of almost 26 mins Big smile
This doesn't matter really if he was on all of them, he did collaborate on the album and gave his own input,  it's so good neh? Wink big hug to you Hug 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:19
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Wow Kati! That's fantastic, thanks for sharing. I consider myself a bit of a Flower Kings buff and all, but I'd never even heard of that. Now I have to find the album! Thanks again

Roj! yay! my pleasure really I only recently discovered this too! A massive hug to you! Hug
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 21:48

'ello mates!

hope all is well.  i've been in Grateful Dead land for last few months with their big 50th celebration and my having a handful of gigs this summer with my dead cover band.

with the passing of chris squire, though, i'm back on a prog kick.  i really loved his singing and bass playing, so i'm digging deep to give some stuff i initially dismissed a second chance.  actually been listening to open your eyes.  peculiar album, but lots of squire singing.  def an big sherwood influence.  the ladder is actually pretty good.  probably the best ladder day album.  i've also been checking out some billy sherwood as well as conspiracy.

busted out Rainmaker last week.  most of it holds up.  still have tour kaput on my wish list and really haven't given desolation much time.  could not get into the latest HFMC.  the latest flying colors has it's moments.  

did any of you get to see yes?  i wasn't into them until the late 90s.  got to see them in 2002, i think, when wakeman was just coming back, yet again.  it was so damn great!  they were all there at the top of their game.  not too old yet and a killer setlist including south side, revealing science and america.  also saw them with the next two lead singers.  not too bad.  the last time was a snooze.  downes messes up a lot live.  just hits wrong patches etc.  and the tempos are so slow.  i'll be curious to see what happens now.  i can definitely see howe continuing, but not sure with sherwood.  didn't they have some issues?  anyway, i'm sure there will be some shows with Jon in the future before it's all over. 

Never did see Yes live.  They actually played in my town back in 2002, but I didn't go because the tickets were too expensive for me at the time, and because the venue has horrible sound.  I kind of wish I had gone now, but it just wasn't in the cards, I guess.

I haven't cared for anything they've done since the Keys studio material (which I still think is quite good, and could have been even better if they'd toured on it and continued working in that vein).  The Ladder is okay, Fly From Here wasn't bad for a bunch of elderly gentleman but I find it hard to think of as a Yes album since it was mostly written by Horne and Downs (and mostly in the 80's).  The last album was dreadful.

I've been listening to Prodigy to honor Squire.  He was in his prime then, and at his absolute best (as was the rest of the band).  That's how I want to remember him and them.

Dude, I'm an idiot, what is Prodigy?

I liked the Keys stuff, but it just had some real cheese ball synths and some goofy lyrics…"crack time"?

As far as Adam Eve goes, I like about half of it.  There are some parts of the epics I think are classic TFK moments.  The opening riff of Driver's Seat being one.  However, I can't stand what's his name guesting on vocals.  And, Love Supreme is way too repetitive.

I've kind of been on a Camel kick too.  Checking out some of their deeper catalog.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 02:57

Roj! yay! my pleasure really I only recently discovered this too! A massive hug to you! Hug

Hug

Right back at you!  A very nice recommendation!!

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 02:59
Prodigy?  Yeah, I love Prodigy!  Out of Space, Firestarter - classic stuff.  Oh wait, I see.......
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:55

infandous you are right, Stolt played on two tracks of that album, both a total of almost 26 mins Big smile
This doesn't matter really if he was on all of them, he did collaborate on the album and gave his own input,  it's so good neh? Wink big hug to you Hug 

Oh, of course, I remember now and I heard it back then.  I usually buy everything Stolt is on, but never did with this one for some reason.  I doubt it's easy to find nowadays (though maybe digitally and obviously on YouTube........but probably not CD I'm guessing).

Hugs to you too Big smile
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 15:02

Dude, I'm an idiot, what is Prodigy?

I liked the Keys stuff, but it just had some real cheese ball synths and some goofy lyrics…"crack time"?

As far as Adam Eve goes, I like about half of it.  There are some parts of the epics I think are classic TFK moments.  The opening riff of Driver's Seat being one.  However, I can't stand what's his name guesting on vocals.  And, Love Supreme is way too repetitive.

I've kind of been on a Camel kick too.  Checking out some of their deeper catalog.

http://www.amazon.com/Progeny-Seven-Shows-Seventy-Two-Deluxe/dp/B00U2MZU9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438026982&sr=8-1&keywords=yes+prodigy

There is a 2 CD "sampler", which is basically a single show made up of tracks from the various complete shows on the box.  It's an alternate Yessongs album, basically (without Starship Trooper, which wasn't in the set until later in the tour, and the Bruford tracks which were recorded on the previous tour).  It's a "warts and all" recording with no overdubs or fixes, unlike Yessongs.

As to A&E, I loved Daniel Gildenlow on Unfold and Meet The Flower Kings, but like him less on A&E.......except for A Vampire's View, which is my favorite track on the album largely because of his vocals.  Which I know a lot of people hate, but frankly, I think they are perfect for the song and obviously so did Roine.  The official bootleg Carpe Diem has the version they played on tour, with Roine singing the bulk of the song and Hasse singing the higher register parts.  I like that version, but still prefer the song with Gildenlow singing.  Different strokes I guess...........

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 15:05

Prodigy?  Yeah, I love Prodigy!  Out of Space, Firestarter - classic stuff.  Oh wait, I see.......

See, now I have no idea what you are talking about LOL

Personally, I listening to the 2CD Prodigy of Yes at their prime in 1972, was about the best way I could imagine to honor Squire's passing (no overdubs, no, fixes, unlike Yessongs........which I love anyway and was my first exposure to the greatness of Yes, aside from having hear their "hits" growing up).
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 02:59
Mike, I was alluding to the UK act The Prodigy Wink.

Not exactly prog eh?  However I've always been partial to a bit of kick-ass electronic mayhem LOL.  I remember seeing them at a gig way back in '91 when they were not well known.  'Twas a great and mental night.  Whisper it around these parts but even Barney was a big fan of their single Firestarter back in the day Shocked.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 08:36

Mike, I was alluding to the UK act The Prodigy Wink.

Not exactly prog eh?  However I've always been partial to a bit of kick-ass electronic mayhem LOL.  I remember seeing them at a gig way back in '91 when they were not well known.  'Twas a great and mental night.  Whisper it around these parts but even Barney was a big fan of their single Firestarter back in the day Shocked.

Ah, now I see.  Never heard of them.  The 90's were the decade I was discovering Prog, so I wasn't paying any attention to anything that wasn't.  I try to be more open minded now, and find a lot of interesting stuff that way.  I'll have to check them out.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 13:10
From what I remember, Prodigy and The Orb were big ambient bands in the 90s.  

Been revisiting a lot of TFK and related bands lately.  Been really digging Karmakanic's Message From the Heart.  Such a great epic.  Tried again with UtF.  Man, those epics are just too long.  Some interesting shorter songs though.  Still cannot get into the last AoM album.  Just too dark and loud for me at this point.  Really liked the first one and some of the second.  As been said before, it's staggering how much material Roine has put out in the last 15 years.  I'm going to check out some of Tangent's back catalog.  Never got past the first one.  There's got to be some good stuff in there.

Also, really excited about new Gilmour coming out as well as the Jon Anderson/Ponty DVD.  Hope it has some original tunes on there.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 11:38

From what I remember, Prodigy and The Orb were big ambient bands in the 90s.  

Been revisiting a lot of TFK and related bands lately.  Been really digging Karmakanic's Message From the Heart.  Such a great epic.  Tried again with UtF.  Man, those epics are just too long.  Some interesting shorter songs though.  Still cannot get into the last AoM album.  Just too dark and loud for me at this point.  Really liked the first one and some of the second.  As been said before, it's staggering how much material Roine has put out in the last 15 years.  I'm going to check out some of Tangent's back catalog.  Never got past the first one.  There's got to be some good stuff in there.

Also, really excited about new Gilmour coming out as well as the Jon Anderson/Ponty DVD.  Hope it has some original tunes on there.

The two epics are the best things on that album!  Well, to my ears, anyway Wink  I like just about everything else on there quite a lot as well though.  It took me basically a full year to really absorb all of UTF properly, so I understand where you are coming from (I also had time to do that back then......not everyone has that kind of time nowadays).

The last AoM doesn't seem that dark to me, except for the title track and maybe one other (listened to it not that long ago, but can't recall exactly now).  The first is probably the one I like the least, though it has some great tunes on it.  The second is good, I just think they organized it a little poorly (all the heavier stuff in the first half, mostly mellower stuff in the second).

Tangent is a must.  Place In The Queue is my favorite still, but the last two are excellent as well.

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 19:25
Tomas has a new album out!  Link below.  Looks like some of his other releases are available from his shop.  BTW, anyone listened to Barracuda Triangle?

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 432433434435436 486>