Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 440441442443444 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 14:00
Hello peeps, whats going on - I've been working my bollocks off for the last few months....so not had much time to listen to much music. The new DT was the biggest let down for 20 years!!!
maybe the Anderson/Stolt collaboration will be worth listening to....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 14:09
^ As you can read not much TFK going on here Smile......Heavy new DT album discussion though Thumbs Down. Cautiously optimistic about the A/S collaboration.....I will listen to anything, question is will I listen to it again 
FroggyGlenn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FroggyGlenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 00:17
I'm just now getting into TFK, and i started with Space Revolver, The Flower King, and Banks of Eden. I love them all, The first two mostly. Would Adam and Eve be a good next album to get? I listened to Love Supreme and loved it, felt like a much shorter song I liked it so much. Is the whole album as good?

Edited by FroggyGlenn - May 16 2016 at 00:18
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 06:54
^ Adam & Eve gets mixed opinions. Some don't like it at all. I think there is strong material on there, maybe not their best, but solid, it's not my least favorite, but it's low on the list, only because the band has made so many good albums. I would recommend Back In The World of Adventures if you liked The Flower King, and Unfold the Future if you liked Space Revolver. They're both the continuation and expansion of what was covered on previous albums.

< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 09:21
Originally posted by FroggyGlenn FroggyGlenn wrote:

I'm just now getting into TFK, and i started with Space Revolver, The Flower King, and Banks of Eden. I love them all, The first two mostly. Would Adam and Eve be a good next album to get? I listened to Love Supreme and loved it, felt like a much shorter song I liked it so much. Is the whole album as good?

Don't forget Stardust We Are - a true TFK classic.

And I'd like to echo that Back in the World of Adventures is an exceptionally good TFK album - it's surprisingly mature for a debut effort.

Unfold the Future is the most musically adventurous of their albums - that and Stardust are my top two.

Adam and Eve is a but uneven, but the two epics (Love Supreme and Driver's Seat) are quite good. 
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siloportem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 02:38
I'd like to add rainmaker. And second unfold the future.

I do have a question for the big fans here.
Is that tribute box: a flower full of stars any good?
I can't find any real reviews anywhere.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 08:10
Seconding the recommendation for Stardust We Are.

Considering the albums you have so far that is the go-to next purchase.  I'd say follow that with Back In The World of Adventures.

You have some great music to discover Smile.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 08:15
I went to see Magenta last weekend.  The first time I'd seen them live, though I do have three albums of theirs.  They were excellent, thoroughly recommended.  If anybody here knows them they played a nicely balanced set drawing from pretty much their entire catalogue.

They do have a tendency to sound a little too much like their forefathers at times, but the songs themselves are different enough.  Excellent musically and very dynamic in the live setting.  Seemed like really nice guys (and gal) as well.

Just got the new Anima Mundi cd and drooling in anticipation as I wait to hear this for the first time.  Also going to see them live next week too (with Barney from this thread) and can't wait.  Miss Peraza is a sensational keyboard player.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 12:12
Early reviews of Anderson Stolt sound very promising......there are some snippets released as well, but I don't listen to those as I prefer to just hear the whole thing when it's in my possession.

As to where to go next with TFK's for FroggyGlenn, my recommendation is just to get them all, you won't be disappointed.  If you liked SR and TFK the most, then start with Back In The World and work your way through from there.  You can't really go wrong.  I personally don't care much at all for Adam & Eve but it's certainly not a bad album.  The most recent two are also the ones I don't care for as much, though both are still fairly good (I've really come to the conclusion that my only real problem with Banks is Numbers, which I just can not get into......just seems a bit samey to me to be so long and just lacks the development and excitement of their best epics.....the rest of the album is quite good though).

As to the tribute CD, A Flower Full Of Stars..........I've never heard it and really have no interest in such things.

Edited by infandous - May 18 2016 at 12:14
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 20:54
Adam & Eve is worth having for "Love Supreme" alone!!!

Banks Of Eden is terrific. "Numbers" is one of my favorite Flower Kings songs. Very powerful and I just love it.

But I'm totally biased and love TFK's almost as much as I love Yes and Genesis.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 08:11
http://teamrock.com/news/2016-05-18/jon-anderson-and-roine-stolt-tease-upcoming-album-with-know-clip

Clip of Anderson/Stolt above.  Sorry Infandous Wink  Sounds very compelling from the clip.  Anderson's voice was made to sing over Roine's music!

In other news, I guess Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman are touring and recording.  Hope this doesn't preclude the push on the new album.  Can't seem to find any info on who the other players in the ARW band are.

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
FroggyGlenn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FroggyGlenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 00:25
I've purchased Stardust We Are and Flower Power now. Stardust is amazing, but some of the first few songs are a bit heavier than I prefer, but I love how the album feels very consistently good throughout. Flower Power is also amazing, but mostly the first disc. I actually turned Garden of Dreams into several songs in iTunes by combining the tracks like this:

1st song: "Dawn", "Simple Song", "Business Vamp" (I named this one Dawn of the Business Vamp, heh)
2nd song: "All You Can Save" (it really stands on it's own quite well)
3rd song: "Attack Of The Monster Briefcase", "Mr. Hope Goes To Wall Street", "Did I Tell You?"
4th song: "Garden Of Dreams", "Don't Let The d'Evil In", "Love Is The Word", "There's No Such Night"
5th song: "The Mean Machine", "Dungeon Of The Deep"
6th song: "Indian Summer", "Sunny Lane", "Gardens Revisited", "Shadowland", "The Final Deal" (this track is over 19 minutes, but it works I think)

Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be one song really, but this helps me appreciate it more.

Edited by FroggyGlenn - May 22 2016 at 00:26
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 12:01
Originally posted by FroggyGlenn FroggyGlenn wrote:

I've purchased Stardust We Are and Flower Power now. Stardust is amazing, but some of the first few songs are a bit heavier than I prefer, but I love how the album feels very consistently good throughout. Flower Power is also amazing, but mostly the first disc. I actually turned Garden of Dreams into several songs in iTunes by combining the tracks like this:

1st song: "Dawn", "Simple Song", "Business Vamp" (I named this one Dawn of the Business Vamp, heh)
2nd song: "All You Can Save" (it really stands on it's own quite well)
3rd song: "Attack Of The Monster Briefcase", "Mr. Hope Goes To Wall Street", "Did I Tell You?"
4th song: "Garden Of Dreams", "Don't Let The d'Evil In", "Love Is The Word", "There's No Such Night"
5th song: "The Mean Machine", "Dungeon Of The Deep"
6th song: "Indian Summer", "Sunny Lane", "Gardens Revisited", "Shadowland", "The Final Deal" (this track is over 19 minutes, but it works I think)

Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be one song really, but this helps me appreciate it more.

I like what you did with GoD. Vey cool. I'm also with you on Stardust. Eyes is a heavy opener.

I'm really psyched about Anderson Stolt. The clips, track list and artwork make me think this is really going to be special. Maybe it'll get this thread rockin again.

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 16:21
I Have Anderson/Stolt on pre-order. Wooo. Whoever recommended Versus X - Primordial Ocean was spot on - it was a good listen on spin-1 - which is a good sign! (mind u you can't go wrong with track lengths of 15:45, 16:16, 15:22 and 23:41 and a short piano piece at 1:50).
Looking forwards to my new Frost CD's - hope they don't disappoint!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 20:48
I need to check out the Versus X.  I'm finally getting the recent Steven Wilson and the self-titled DT.  Never gave those a chance.  We'll see.

I was thinking how cool it would be to see a double bill of TFK and Jon Anderson.  TFK does a set.  Maybe GoD and a few other tunes.  Then they come out with JA and do Tales.  The encore could be Stardust We Are and Awaken.

One can dream!

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2016 at 07:44
I've just listened to the new Anderson/Stolt album. Know... is beautiful!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 23:45
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I Have Anderson/Stolt on pre-order. Wooo. Whoever recommended Versus X - Primordial Ocean was spot on - it was a good listen on spin-1 - which is a good sign! (mind u you can't go wrong with track lengths of 15:45, 16:16, 15:22 and 23:41 and a short piano piece at 1:50).
Looking forwards to my new Frost CD's - hope they don't disappoint!
well its been a troublesome 2016 so far with deaths, illness and employment issues add to this hi-fi going BANG! also I`ve not been able to come to the forum for ages due to the above the employment issue is sadly on going. as start new employer then it as been sorry we`ve got to let you go! great stuff there isn't looking likely to end anytime soon so filling in with working through a third party. on the upside enjoying Steve Wilsons and Steve Hackett`s albums, really enjoying the new DT album. also the TFK/IQ with the well placed classic bands here and there it was mostly ELP/Genesis/Yes and Tull. like M27Barney and you all looking forward to the Anderson/Stolt album from the few reviews it sounds positive but I don't thinking it can be worsted than Jon`s last joint outing lol. this also as been a happier bit with the dropping on the doormat the latest issue of the Jazz at 33rpm magazine and vinyl...M27Barney track lengths looking good lets hope they don't disappoint us all... 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 12:23
I'm eagerly anticipating the Anderson/Stolt, can't wait to hear it.  Initial reviews have been very promising.

Don't know if anyone here is familiar with the Greek band Ciccada, but their most recent album The Finest Of Miracles is really working for me.  This is high quality retro prog that doesn't quite sound like anything else in that vein that I've heard.  There are some noticeable influences, but they tend to be well integrated and they have a pretty unique sound, which is unusual for retro prog.  There's even an epic track (the last 5 tracks are the title track, which each track being a named section).  Anyway, I bought it on a whim and am very glad I did.  Great stuff.

Also looking forward to hearing the new Karmakanic when that gets released.

Anyone get the new Hackett DVD/Blue Ray?  I will probably have to pick that up since I missed the tour and Roine's on it.

Edited by infandous - June 24 2016 at 12:24
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:56
Well - I have just listened to the "Invention of Knowledge" - didn't exactly blow my pants off, I think there is far too much singing and not enough of Stolts guitar work. In fact not a single solo that comes anywhere near his best work! - another damp-squib I'm afraid! (Knowing Pt 1 is the best track on spin 1).
Mind you then I spun my other buy that arrived today "Lost & Found" by Samurai of prog....WOWSER!!!! A sumptuous blend of keyboards and electric guitars & violin - sort of Camel/Greenslade/ELP/Jethro Tull all blended into one - some of the mellotron/moog work is outstanding - I have a new band to explore - so I'm happy as a pig in prog-sh*t! (oh and CD 2 is a 57 minute epic! marvellous stuff!!! one to recommend from me!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 13:10
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Well - I have just listened to the "Invention of Knowledge" - didn't exactly blow my pants off, I think there is far too much singing and not enough of Stolts guitar work. In fact not a single solo that comes anywhere near his best work! - another damp-squib I'm afraid! (Knowing Pt 1 is the best track on spin 1).
Mind you then I spun my other buy that arrived today "Lost & Found" by Samurai of prog....WOWSER!!!! A sumptuous blend of keyboards and electric guitars & violin - sort of Camel/Greenslade/ELP/Jethro Tull all blended into one - some of the mellotron/moog work is outstanding - I have a new band to explore - so I'm happy as a pig in prog-sh*t! (oh and CD 2 is a 57 minute epic! marvellous stuff!!! one to recommend from me!

Samurai of Prog are primarily a covers band........that entire album is composed of tracks by 70's prog bands that were never released (or had very limited release), except the first track which is from the first album of Pavlov's Dog (the band, in case you hadn't heard of them).  I believe their 3rd album is original compositions, but not by any of the band members (they solicited compositions from various prog keyboardists if I am remembering correctly).  The first two albums are more well know prog covers.

I do have one of those Colossus releases that has an original composition on it, and I read an interview with Steve Unruh (whose own music is well worth checking out) saying that they wanted to start doing more original material, so I guess we'll see where that goes.  In any case, they are quite good at what they do, but it's not exactly "new" material we are talking about here, just in case you didn't know.

Edited by infandous - June 27 2016 at 13:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 440441442443444 486>