Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444445446447448 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mystic Mamba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mystic Mamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 18:12
The first TFK song I heard was "Love is the Only Answer" while searching for prog on YouTube. I was instantly captivated by Tomas Bodin's keyboard soundscapes and Roine Stolt's tasteful guitar solos, and I've loved pretty much everything I've heard since! These guys (along with Neal Morse) are the undisputed kings of prog epics in my mind. Just check out their live album, Meet the Flower Kings; it's absolutely essential for anyone who likes symphonic prog live albums!

All hail The Flower Kings!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 10:33
The Jon Anderson / Stolt collaboration is very poor - who agrees?
The new Marillion seems to be stirring up a few with it's lyrical content. I have about five or six marillon CD's that I have spun once and then shelved.....wonder If I should buy the new one? it might also be shelved without a listen if bought now!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 10:54
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The new Marillion seems to be stirring up a few with it's lyrical content. I have about five or six marillon CD's that I have spun once and then shelved.....wonder If I should buy the new one? it might also be shelved without a listen if bought now!

Totally disagree, I absolutely love the Anderson / Stolt and think it's fantastic.  I like it better than the last two Flower Kings albums and it's the best thing I've heard from Anderson since at least the Keys albums, maybe even earlier that those.  That said, it's certainly not anywhere near as good as the best works by either of them, so there's that (those last two FK albums are the only ones I would say I like a bit less than IOK).

I have no interest in Marillion.  I tried their sampler CD back around the time of Marbles (had a couple tracks from that album on it, then one or two from the previous 5 or 6 albums), and just couldn't keep my attention on it long enough to decide if it was good or not.  Which is a bad sign, so I never tried again.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 05:07
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I have no interest in Marillion.  I tried their sampler CD back around the time of Marbles (had a couple tracks from that album on it, then one or two from the previous 5 or 6 albums), and just couldn't keep my attention on it long enough to decide if it was good or not.  Which is a bad sign, so I never tried again.
Yeah, I like Script and Misplaced Childhood (well the first part anyway) - but subsequent CD's I have acquired have left me cold on the first spin so - they have been shelved - mind you I recently did a CD audit and I reckon that I must have at least 400 CD's that I have only spun once!!! Will I ever get around to allocating time to those when I usually want to listen to new stuff or one of the tried and tested best-loved recordings?
Tis the dilemma of the large collection I fear!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 08:47

You need medical attention quickly! LOL The JA/Stolt album is quite good if not very good. Right now it's as close to any new TFK material, take Jon out and you have a TFK album IMO.
It did take several spins for me to like it but not as many spins as Marillion FEAR did. 

The JA/Stolt album has some filler in a couple of the songs but for the most part each song has tremendous legs to stand on and yea Jon sounds the best he has in quite some time. I am getting pretty sick and tired of hearing old a$$ singers trying to pull off something from 10-15 years ago and it can be quite embarrassing for them Dead, Jon pulled it off!

I am a pretty big fan of Marillion so my opinion is slightly biased, FEAR is not for the casual Marillion fan. The fan who sings along with Fugazi or Kayleigh probably frowns on FEAR. What I love is Mark Kelly is featured out front with the keys and that is nice. I think all of them are tremendous musicians......

Duke21 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2016 at 03:38
I love the work by the Swedish neighbours (I'm from Norway), in particularly Roine Stolt and Jonas Reingold.
These two are the foundation of so much great prog rock music all originated in Sweden. The Flower Kings, Karmakanic, Kaipa, Kaipa Da Capo, Agents Of Mercy, The Tangent.
The contribution of Stolt and Reingold to the Anderson Stolt is wonderful and I find this album to give us a nice blend of Yes & TFK. Reingold is in my eyes the best bass player in the prog rock arena after Chris passed away. It is in particularly evident on his band Karmakanic. 
The Karmakanic Dot is my favourite album of 2016 followed by the Anderson Stolt album and the new Kaipa Da Capo album. The Kaipa Da Capo is a fraction of Kaipa, it takes us to 70s Kaipa performed in swedish with Stolt on guitar, the original bass player and the original drummer of Kaipa.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2016 at 09:54
I need that Kaipa da capo, have not heard it yet.....
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 06:49

My tip is - if you don't like the other Hogarth-era Marillion albums you've heard then don't bother with their new one - save your money LOL.  Have a try listening to Ocean Cloud by Marillion on youtube, from the Marbles album.  If you don't like that then Hogarth era Marillion are a lost cause for you as that's the best 18 minutes of music they have ever made, full stop.

I actually like FEAR a lot, although I don't think it's as good as their previous two.  They really were outstanding.  You can count me totally in the pro-Hogarth camp, by the way.  The Fish era albums were ok-ish, although poorly produced and I find them virtually unlistenable these days.  Their best stuff from that era was put out before they even signed a record deal. 

Incidentally while I was in Vegas recently a cabbie mentioned Fish had a 4 night residence at the MGM Grand.  Hmm, seems a bit surprising I thought.  Turns out, it was actually Phish LOL.
FroggyGlenn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FroggyGlenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 23:07
Would anyone say that fans of the Flower Kings would like IQ, specifically their newer material? They seem to be both into making retro inspired prog/symphonic rock. I heard the song The Province of the King and it sounded very symphonic and amazing, though very similar to Supper's Ready by Genesis.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 10:14
In my opinion IQ's music is a little bit dull. Also I listened to Kaipa Da Capo's Tonerna on YouTube. I think it's as good as Humanizzimo and SWA, even though Roine didn't compose it.

Edited by Hrychu - November 28 2016 at 10:15
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 12:19
IQ's newest albums are incredible, regardless of any comparison to TFK. Absolutely essential modern prog.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 06:54
^ The Road of Bones didn't completely blow me away, although there are some fantastic songs on there, expecially the "bonus" disc.  Dull is not a word I'd generally use to describe IQ.

Do we think there may be a chance of new TFK next year?  I'd say a new release is due, it's been 4 years.  I know Roine has been very busy, as always.  I really must seek out Kaipa da Capo, not heard any of it yet.  Am I missing anything?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 14:06
I gotta get that Kaipa de Capo as well, can't believe I don't have it yet!

As to IQ, they are pretty much the only "neo" band I enjoy.  To be honest, I can't really say I absolutely love any of their albums, though The Wake has always been my favorite followed closely by Dark Matter.  One odd thing about IQ is that it always seems to me that Peter Nicholls seems to sound better with every new album.  Usually with singers it's the opposite (they loose their range and tone as they get older.......though Nicholls never really had great range to begin with, which is probably why he sounds so strained on the early albums).  I have all their albums, except the two without Peter Nicholls, and Frequency, which I just never go around to buying.  I may still pick it up at some point.

As to Road of Bones, I agree with you Roj.  The Bonus CD is better than the main album, by quite a bit, IMO.  But both have good stuff on them.  Just not the best by that band.

Finally, as to the TFK's, I have heard absolutely nothing.  I check Roine's page on Facebook regularly, but not a peep about any TFK work.  Sadly.  Their last two albums were probably my least favorite of theirs (aside from Adam & Eve), so I'm not sure what we would be getting if they went back in the studio.  Though naturally, I'd buy whatever they put out Big smile

Edited by infandous - December 01 2016 at 09:14
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 01:06
I absolutely adore the Flower Kings but can't find anything to connect with in IQ's music. I guess it's just different from person to person and one band in common doesn't say enough about specific musical taste.

I don't think TFK will release a record in 2017 seeing how it all depends on Roine, who is going to be spending the first quarter of the year touring with Kaipa daCapo and is continuing on working on new material with Jon Anderson. But how I would love a new TFK record. I like their whole discography including DR and BoE. I also enjoyed IoK but to me it was missing some edge and sounded a bit to christmasy or just plain corny at times...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 09:15
Assorted thoughts:

* I love both IQ and The Flower Kings though I see little similarity.
* Invention Of Knowledge is awesome!!!
* Kaipa Da Capo and Karmakanic both released terrific albums in 2016.
* Doesn't look promising for any new Flower Kings material in the near future.
* Why are there only 3 TFK's records available on vinyl?
* Marillion is a great band but they tend to bore me a little.
* The Neal Morse Band's latest, The Similitude Of A Dream, my Album Of The Year.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FroggyGlenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 21:10
- deleted -

Edited by FroggyGlenn - January 04 2017 at 21:14
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FroggyGlenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 21:14
Thanks for the response, everyone.

I brought up IQ because they were another modern (90's-10's) band I like that have lots of 70's influences in their music, especially Genesis, and thus similar to TFK in that way.

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

In my opinion IQ's music is a little bit dull. Also I listened to Kaipa Da Capo's Tonerna on YouTube. I think it's as good as Humanizzimo and SWA, even though Roine didn't compose it.

Wow, as good as Humanizzimo and SWA? Those in my opinion are TFK's two absolute best songs, bar none. I gotta go listen to this Tonerna now. If you think they're dull, try and listen to their song The Last Human Gateway. If that doesn't do it for you, try their whole The Wake album, and then the song Harvest of Souls.

Edit: I listened to Tonerna, it was great, but was a little disappointed it wasn't in English, and it wasn't Roine singing (I was expecting some of his beautiful crooner-like singing like in Humanizzimo), oh well, good none-the-less. Sounds a lot like 70's Kaipa.

Edited by FroggyGlenn - January 04 2017 at 21:26
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 07:31
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the Kaipa Da Capo album, but I wouldn't rate it anywhere near as high as the best FK albums.  Not just because the vocals are in Swedish either.  Still, it IS a wonderful album, and it's always great to hear Roine soloing his heart out.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 21:27
In response to an earlier post :
There are 4 vinyl releases by TFK - Stardust, Desolation, Eden and Back In The World Of Adventures, which I acquired many years ago, it's a single vinyl Pic-Disc but they left off a couple of tracks. Still great.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 07:58
I made a decision  to cut back on new CD's purchasing. Thus I only have two new ones at xmas (I decided to get more popular science books instead). Has music (like televisual arts) reached the saturation point? Prog bands are surely going to just keep on re-hashing stuff that has already been done? I have about 500 CD's that I have listened to once and about a 100 that I have never spun! 2017 - should be my year of catching up. But when I relax and put the prog-lighting on, get the head-phones out - I then select a CD - and I nearly always end up selecting a known - goody. I have about 500 CD's in this set I reckon....and thus the rest are just sat there.....waiting........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444445446447448 486>